Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg growing in tubs.

Options
  • 18-03-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I have been donated quite a few packets of veg and herb seeds - I don't have a garden but thought while the kids are going to be off for the forseeable we might have a try at growing in pots on the flat roof.
    There's a packet of little round carrot seeds - can these be grown in a long container?
    What conditions do we need to grow peas?
    Can lettuce/greens/mustards be grown in shallow containers - ie. without as much soil - using recycled food trays maybe?
    thanks for any advice - I can't afford to buy propogators or the like so will need to plant into the tubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

The round carrots should be able to grow in containers. Just thin them so they have enough space.

Peas need some sort of wire to cling onto. I have tried dwarf types that were supposed to be ok without a trellis but they fall over in the wind. Or you could use the green tips as cut and come again for salads.

The salad greens can grow in containers but id try and give at least 5 or 6 inches of depth for all.

Wait until the weather warms up a bit. Will be no need for propagators then.
    https://youtu.be/6FXgNI9_ZHw

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Belle321

Ask around if anyone has old plant pots they are not using. Salad leaves do great in pots.
    Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjjber

I grow carrots, salad leaves, beetroot and even potatoes in some larger pots. The main issue is it's a little bit more labour intensive with watering and feeding

Advertisement