Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that have closed temporarily due to (COVID-19).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

Does anyone know if businesses have to pay commercial rates while they're closed?

They are being deferred

https://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/covid-19-coronavirus/support-businesses-impacted-covid-19-through-commercial-rates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I noticed a traffic tailback in my locale earlier this evening around 7pm. I worried there might have been an accident.

I then noticed is was caused by a long queue to get into the nearby McDonalds drive thru.

Then I got home and read McDonalds is to close.

Are people stockpiling burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

AllForIt wrote: »
    I noticed a traffic tailback in my locale earlier this evening around 7pm. I worried there might have been an accident.

I then noticed is was caused by a long queue to get into the nearby McDonalds drive thru.

Then I got home and read McDonalds is to close.

Stockpiling stupidity going by behaviour since the restrictions were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AllForIt wrote: »

No, People were jjust going for a burger or McFlurry because they don’t know when they’ll be able to get the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No, People were jjust going for a burger or McFlurry because they don’t know when they’ll be able to get the next one.

That's equally as worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is it really going to kill so many of them to not go with a McDonald's for a few weeks

Easons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

neris wrote: »
    Is it really going to kill so many of them to not go with a McDonald's for a few weeks

yes it will and I dont mean that glibly. I remember reading in the book Fast Food Nation how research showed McDonalds income closely follows the 80/20 rule, i.e they make 80% of their income off 20% of their customers. Many customers go there 4 or 5 times a week because they havent a clue how to cook and then they get addicted to their food so keep on going. McDonalds know this so it makes a mockery of their advice on the problems with obesity, on one hand they say 'eat in moderation' but on the other hand they know full well that if their regular customers actually took that advice their income would be massively hit.

Anyway theres going to be a lot of people wondering how to use an oven during these shutdowns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yes it will and I dont mean that glibly. I remember reading in the book Fast Food Nation how research showed McDonalds income closely follows the 80/20 rule, i.e they make 80% of their income off 20% of their customers. Many customers go there 4 or 5 times a week because they havent a clue how to cook and then they get addicted to their food so keep on going. McDonalds know this so it makes a mockery of their advice on the problems with obesity, on one hand they say 'eat in moderation' but on the other hand they know full well that if their regular customers actually took that advice their income would be massively hit.

Anyway theres going to be a lot of people wondering how to use an oven during these shutdowns.

Whatever about repeat customers, the irish farmers who sell all the beef are also affected. McDonalds is the single biggest domestic buyer of beef.

Whatever about repeat customers, the irish farmers who sell all the beef are also affected. McDonalds is the single biggest domestic buyer of beef.

The repeat customers will be fine they might even need smaller clothes sizes when this is over but the farmers are in trouble. Wonder what the knock on effect will be in terms of pricing and supply for the supermarkets & butchers in the future. Alot of McDonalds in Europe also use beef and producers here aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Back to shop updates

CeX all Irish stores closed and moved to online only trading and buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Muahahaha wrote: »

In fairness, many pubs have a similar business model, relying on the alchos for business midweek.

Smyth's Toys closed too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Smyth's Toys closed too

You can’t be serious?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness, many pubs have a similar business model, relying on the alchos for business midweek.

Oh without doubt. Same goes for gambling addicts and the bookies, its well known that the vast majority of their profits comes from a very small percentage of their customers. They sell the message of 'gamble responsibly' while at the same time knowing that if that actually happened their income would go way down.

You can’t be serious?

:(

https://www.smythstoys.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

What about the likes of dhl then are they still going to operate ?

Abba987 wrote: »
    What about the likes of dhl then are they still going to operate ?

DHL still operating

https://www.dhl.ie/en/important_information/covid_19.html

An Post say they are too but service maybe limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

B&Q were closed today but I think that was just a temporary measure to get themselves ready and signage about social distancing etc in their stores.

• Advertisement

B&Q were closed today but I think that was just a temporary measure to get themselves ready and signage about social distancing etc in their stores.

Hardware stores are allowed to open

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

DHL still operating

https://www.dhl.ie/en/important_information/covid_19.html

An Post say they are too but service maybe limited.

Cheers. Dont want to order stuff if its gonna be sitting in a depot for 6 weeks. Clothes are still essential??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

neris wrote: »
    Hardware stores are allowed to open

I’m aware of that.

Sports direct

M&S are closing there clothing and home wares departments!

B&Q tallagh is also closed ,I didnt get close enough to read the signs.

Wonder how that works in places like Dundrum where you have to walk through clothes to get to the food hall, they may limit entry to the ground floor through the carpark only.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

I'm fairly sure Retail Excellence has called for this, right across the board.

• Advertisement

GameStop closed online orders still possible

Advertisement