Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is antibacterial mouthwash sufficient in a small bottle?

I used get in Penneys for €1 or even 50c reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No. Please don't use a substitute without washing your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

:D
    I have been using water and a small drop of bleach, don't know how effective it is compared to the real thing but its better than nothing surely
    Don't encourage people to use bleach on their skin. I'm upset this needs to be pointed out.

Edit: you just about got your edit in there before I pressed reply:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

TheChizler wrote: »
    Don't encourage people to use bleach on their skin. I'm upset this needs to be pointed out.

Fair enough, a very tiny drop ive been using but yeah people with sensitive skin etc should steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Very reasonably priced sanitizer coming to Dublin soon by a friend’s company

When it’s all ready I’ll check with Mods to see if I can link to it. When texting the friend yesterday about it they said “I want to keep my morals on this”

I’ll post more when it’s ready if it’s permitted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has the demand for hand sanitiser from the public dropped? A significant number of people are at home now so can wash their hands using traditional soap and water. Hand sanitiser is more useful when you don't have such access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It's more anti-bacterial, than it is anti-viral. Only 25% Alcho. One other issue is that it's way too sticky, would need to wash hands with soap afterwards.

Is it better than nothing, maybe, would need to ask a virologist (assuming the kinetic action of rubbing hands with low alcho, can damage the virus envelope enough).

Cheap aftershave may be slightly better and have a higher % alchohol (still not likely the rec 65-70%), if there is no soap n' water.

I have a UVC wand for a 10sec blast of any small bits of shopping, runs off batteries and might damage the kungflu's RNA just enough. Again, a case of better than nothing.

Heard of many local small distileries selling alcho bottles to the public, they even add in essential oils and drops of other stuff (maybe prevents alchos drinking the stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Online from the Irish handmade soap company ( not sure if that's the exact name but it's something like that )

Just ordered 5. Bloody expensive but I need it for my business. In & out of the van all day. Wouldn't be bothered with it for the house. Soap and water is best if you can

ixoy wrote:
    Has the demand for hand sanitiser from the public dropped? A significant number of people are at home now so can wash their hands using traditional soap and water. Hand sanitiser is more useful when you don't have such access.

People believe what they want to believe. More than half of the population seems to think sanitizer is better than soap and water despite what the WHO & HSE say about it. I'm in clients homes and I see sanitizer on most home tables. I don't understand why you would have sanitizer only a few foot away from soap and water! I'm guessing that they see sanitizer in hospitals and they think this is what the doctors use. They don't see doctors & nurses using soap and water. HSE & WHO have both said masks are useless but you still see people wearing them in the street. You won't see doctors & nurses wear them outside of the hospital but people still believe.

In short yoy still can't get sanitizer in pharmacy's or supermarkets. I know soap and water is better but I need sanitizer for when I'm working.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TheChizler wrote: »
    No. Please don't use a substitute without washing your hands.

I mean for when out and nothing around, of course wash wash wash the hands when you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭wench

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In short yoy still can't get sanitizer in pharmacy's or supermarkets. I know soap and water is better but I need sanitizer for when I'm working.
    Isn't your workplace literally people's bathrooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fryup wrote: »
    if i add vodka to a regular soap dispenser will it work as a sanitizer?
    If you added soap to a bottle of vodka.....

... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Seen a couple of comments about dettol and bleach being used as a substitute - these will destroy your hands.
    Buying 'anti bacterial' items won't do much against a viral infection.
    If you can't access soap and water regularly, or sanitser try wet wipes, at least they'll clean your hands and you can use them when accessing cash machines and on public transport etc.

wench wrote:
    Isn't your workplace literally people's bathrooms...

Yes it is but when replacing showers the carbon from the old shower has me black. I couldn't wash my hands in the basin. It would look like a coal miner was there. I'd have to bring my own cleaning cloths and Jiff to scrub after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

The WHO haven't said masks are useless at all. They do reduce droplet transmission and they certainly help with touching your face, especially nose and mouth. They aren't massively useful, but they are not worthless. Also, they make people feel a bit better, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Sanitiser is for as well as washing with soap and water, not instead of. Paticularly good for people out and about who don't have regular access to handwashing facilities.

stinkbomb wrote:
    The WHO haven't said masks are useless at all. They do reduce droplet transmission and they certainly help with touching your face, especially nose and mouth. They aren't massively useful, but they are not worthless. Also, they make people feel a bit better, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Actually the WHO said masks are useful for patients with the virus and for medical professionals treating an infected person. They don't recommend people wear masks outside of this as they have no proven benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Fair enough, a very tiny drop ive been using but yeah people with sensitive skin etc should steer clear

Most are sensitive to bleach. Seriously???

Domestos is not the answer ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

When I go the supermarket, this is what I do.

Before entering supermarket, put on a fresh pair of disposable gloves.
    In supermarket, spray down my gloves with disinfectant spray or hand sanatizer and rub in well. (As if washing hands)
    Do my shopping and pay etc.
    Just outside shop, dispose of gloves in bin etc.

Sound ok?
    Or missing anything silly etc

In supermarket, spray down my gloves with disinfectant spray or hand sanatizer and rub in well. (As if washing hands)

Sound ok?

You could just spray your hands, what the gloves changed?

• Advertisement

Sound ok? Or missing anything silly etc

Did you touch your face with the gloves while shopping? :)

wonski wrote: »
    You could just spray your hands, what the gloves changed?

Have been doing this.
    But spraying this disinfectant directly on to skin does not seem good - for my skin anyway. (Hands unreal dry since doing it a few times and getting little cuts/nicks etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sound ok?

The virus main transmission route is airborne , accorodng to the best expert I have heard - professor Michael Osterholm , he recons the chances of picking up virus from surface is minute, and so wearing gloves is not much of a deterennt.
    Good eneogh for me - its all about social distancing , and avoiding inhaling other peoples air/droplets (particulry indoors)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Sound ok?

all the craps that's on shopping you bought from people touching the packaging

Did you touch your face with the gloves while shopping? :)

Im trying my hardest not to ;)

Easier said than done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

thebaz wrote: »
    The virus main transmission route is airborne , accorodng to the best expert I have heard - professor Michael Osterholm , he recons the chances of picking up virus from surface is minute, and so wearing gloves is not much of a deterennt.
    Good eneogh for me - its all about social distancing , and avoiding inhaling other peoples air/droplets (particulry indoors)

is that just his opinion as it goes against alot others

Have been slit this.
    But spraying this disinfectant directly on to skin does not seem good - for my skin anyway. (Hands unreal dry since doing it a few times and getting little cuts/nicks etc)

Waste of gloves.

I see no point. Skin can be cured easier.

Looks like, and it's not towards you, some can't handle regular wash.

Coming from food industry unfortunately I know the truth. Think of it next time you get your food made for you ;)

all the craps that's on shopping you bought from people touching the packaging

I know loads of people have handled and pawed at stuff I am buying and then it’s handled by a cashier and all this. So a never ending battle really. But just trying to do my best to try and cut down.

I know loads of people have handled and pawed at stuff I am buying and then it’s handled by a cashier and all this. So a never ending battle really. But just trying to do my best to try and cut down.

Just wash your hands.

The gloves will do nothing in your scenario.

And if all other people in the chain wash their hands you wouldn't even think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Yes it is but when replacing showers the carbon from the old shower has me black. I couldn't wash my hands in the basin. It would look like a coal miner was there. I'd have to bring my own cleaning cloths and Jiff to scrub after me.
    Could you not use gloves while working to save your hands from getting so dirty?

Advertisement