Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is that just his opinion as it goes against alot others

well he has a lot more expeince than most people I have heard, what he says makes sense - you could be very unlucky and touch something that was infected then put your finger in your mouth or eye , but it is a rare form of transmission , similar to flu transmission . transmission is much more contageuos through air droplets , hence the much more urgent need for social distancing practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I know loads of people have handled and pawed at stuff I am buying and then it’s handled by a cashier and all this. So a never ending battle really. But just trying to do my best to try and cut down.

Spray it down and wipe, before you bring it into the house, that's what I'm doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

I know loads of people have handled and pawed at stuff I am buying and then it’s handled by a cashier and all this. So a never ending battle really. But just trying to do my best to try and cut down.

gloves and then cleaning packing , yoke in journal about guy in china thats waht they did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Spray it down and wipe, before you bring it into the house, that's what I'm doing

But if doing a big shop, I could have 50 plus items. Be half the day spraying them down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

But if doing a big shop, I could have 50 plus items. Be half the day spraying them down.

whack it all in washing machine on a slow spin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bring them to the garden ..get the family to help you ..we are doing it. We have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Actually the WHO said masks are useful for patients with the virus and for medical professionals treating an infected person. They don't recommend people wear masks outside of this as they have no proven benefit

If masks work for medical professionals and they'll work for us mere mortals.

Masks work and there is benefit if you have a P2 or P3 mask and most importantly use it correctly. They just don't want everyone panicking because there are no masks available to buy. Unless you were quick enough to buy the correct masks when this all kicked off in China. Before the Chinese in Ireland were buying up and posting back to China.

There is a thread on here from a doctor see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219 . He secured his own supply of masks and gloves for him and family members. I think I'll trust him over believing what media, government or WHO may say.

Another way of looking at it. If main route of transmission was through self infection by touching infected surfaces then why are they strongly pushing social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wanderer19 wrote:
    Could you not use gloves while working to save your hands from getting so dirty?

I do. Put on fresh gloves but they us get torn to shreds as I work. The electric cable is the bi culprit. Holding a screw while screwing in in takes the fingers off. I'd rarely come out with the gloves intact

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Perhaps we can rename this “hand sanitizer/face masks and hygiene” thread and keep it all here?

Two questions;

- Where can I order face masks for delivery within a week? It’s for stopping me from scratching my face more than anything. Are they washable?

- And same question, in terms of delivery within a week, for soap and hand wash for sensitive skin. Using my usual soap over and over is making me itchy and then I’m scratching my face

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Penny hasn't quite dropped yet.

• Advertisement

The way i look at gloves is by using them there's less potential virus to wash off your hands.

I think the concern some have is they fear people will think if you wear gloves then you don't need to wash your hands.

If you are out and about then you could put gloves on when leaving car. Take them off when you return...before touching car. Then use some alcohol hand sanitizer and only then get into your car. That's where I see the benefit of having disposable gloves.

RiseAbove4 wrote: »

- Where can I order face masks for delivery within a week? It’s for stopping me from scratching my face more than anything. Are they washable?

I don't know anywhere you can order from. But make sure it's a P2 or preferably P3 mask by well known brand like 3M. Otherwise you're wasting your money. Also look at videos of how to use the mask, if you don't use it correctly it's of no use.

The way i look at gloves is by using them there's less potential virus to wash off your hands.

I think the concern some have is they fear people will think if you wear gloves then you don't need to wash your hands.

If you are out and about then you could put gloves on when leaving car. Take them off when you return...before touching car. Then use some alcohol hand sanitizer and only then get into your car. That's where I see the benefit of having disposable gloves.

The problem is people don't know how to use gloves or face masks

Gloves should be changed regularly.If you are wearing them for most of an 8 hour day then you should be going through 15 to 20 pair per day.Look at doctors & nurses in the hospital ward. Dozens & dozens of pair per day.They need to be taken off in such a way that you never touch the outside of them & then they need to be disposed of correctly. Dublin city streets are covered with these gloves at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

If masks work for medical professionals and they'll work for us mere mortals.

Masks work and there is benefit if you have a P2 or P3 mask and most importantly use it correctly. They just don't want everyone panicking because there are no masks available to buy. Unless you were quick enough to buy the correct masks when this all kicked off in China. Before the Chinese in Ireland were buying up and posting back to China.

There is a thread on here from a doctor see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219 . He secured his own supply of masks and gloves for him and family members. I think I'll trust him over believing what media, government or WHO may say.

Another way of looking at it. If main route of transmission was through self infection by touching infected surfaces then why are they strongly pushing social distancing?

They won't tell you to wear mask because there's no masks available. No masks for businesses nor healthcare workers (globally). If they tell you to use masks they'd also need to tell you that you should only use one for maximum of 1 hour as they get wet from you breathing through them and this attracts germs and viruses so they can cause more harm than good. WHO knows that people wouldn't stick to these rules and with not enough supply of masks such advice would be counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's a guy at work who's been wearing the same pair of non disposable gloves for over a week now, that's the kind of thing I'm worried about when criticising their use. Thankfully there's very few of us in and any potential cross contamination is easy to avoid.

That and the number of people I've seen rubbing their faces, picking their noses, or even smoking while wearing latex gloves. It's hard to not extrapolate that kind of behavior onto everyone I see wearing them even though I know lots of people must be using them properly. They make people stand out too, there's probably way more people going around without gloves never washing their hands but you don't notice them.

The problem is people don't know how to use gloves or face masks

Yes and this is one of the reason they say face mask are not needed. Because people mostly buy masks that provide no protection. Even if they manage to buy a mask that provides protection they don't use it properly so it's of no use.

Same with gloves. You need to take off correctly so as not to touch the outside of the gloves.

That thread i linked to from the doctor has links on how to use both masks and gloves correctly.

I don't know anywhere you can order from. But make sure it's a P2 or preferably P3 mask by well known brand like 3M. Otherwise you're wasting your money. Also look at videos of how to use the mask, if you don't use it correctly it's of no use.

Unless you keep close contact with infected for prolonged time then any mask will do. For majority of us it's about protecting from a random person in the public/shop/park sneezing/coughing around you, so to stop the large fluid particles from entering your mouth or nose.

To protect from viruses in the air (like when standing next to an infected person for a prolonged period of time) you'd need a sealed mask but keeping social distancing rules I think any mask will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Even a simple dust mask will make it impossible to touch your nose or mouth...

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Hoboo wrote: »
    Penny hasn't quite dropped yet.

I get it that people are taking the p1ss about doing this. Hilarious, ha ha, sides are killing me etc

But I’m trying to keep my family safe here.

voluntary wrote: »
    They won't tell you to wear mask because there's no masks available. No masks for businesses nor healthcare workers (globally). If they tell you to use masks they'd also need to tell you that you should only use one for maximum of 1 hour as they get wet from you breathing through them and this attracts germs and viruses so they can cause more harm than good. WHO knows that people wouldn't stick to these rules and with not enough supply of masks such advice would be counterproductive.

Exactly. Where did you read this maximum of 1 hour? A video I watched for medical professional said you could use same mask all day.

Some banks have been putting money into 150 degree heat for a few seconds to kill viruses. Might be an option for masks?

• Advertisement

Unless you keep close contact with infected for prolonged time then any mask will do..

Unless you are using a P2 or P3 mask and use it correctly then you are getting no protection from this virus. Take a look at that thread I linked to a few posts back, it's from an Irish consultant doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

all the craps that's on shopping you bought from people touching the packaging

Pick from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I get it that people are taking the p1ss about doing this. Hilarious, ha ha, sides are killing me etc

But I’m trying to keep my family safe here.
    Proper hand washing, clean commonly used areas at home and no face touching will get you there.

Unless you are using a P2 or P3 mask and use it correctly then you are getting no protection from this virus. Take a look at that thread I linked to a few posts back, it's from an Irish consultant doctor.

There are as many opinions as there are experts.

I'm talking specifically about common situations where you keep the 2 meter social distance and wear mask to protect you from somebody in public sneezing in the distance (the droplets can fly 5 meters when you sneeze or cough)

Esel wrote: »
    Even a simple dust mask will make it impossible to touch your nose or mouth...

Dust mask will also stop the larger particles from directly entering your mouth. These are usually difficult to breath through though. Wouldn't wear them to work as you start sweating after 5 minutes of wearing one.

There are as many opinions as there are experts.

I'm talking specifically about common situations where you keep the 2 meter social distance and wear mask to protect you from somebody in public sneezing in the distance (the droplets can fly 5 meters when you sneeze or cough)

WHO & HSE say this is a waste of mask, time & money. They don't advise you to wear a mask unless you have the virus or are caring for someone with the virus. Outside of thes two WHO don't recomend masks

Exactly. Where did you read this maximum of 1 hour? A video I watched for medical professional said you could use same mask all day.

Some banks have been putting money into 150 degree heat for a few seconds to kill viruses. Might be an option for masks?

1 hour, just heard in some interview with a desperate surgeon complaining they only get very few masks per day now. He was saying that because of lack of supply the hospital put limits for a nurse, 1 mask for 6 hours of day shifts, 1 mask for 12 hours per night shift. 1 mask for 3 hours in the intensive use room.

This was a doctor in hospital abroad. Wonder what limitations do hospitals impose here.

WHO & HSE say this is a waste of mask, time & money. They don't advise you to wear a mask unless you have the virus or are caring for someone with the virus. Outside of thes two WHO don't recomend masks

Yes, because they advice based on statistics. Their goal is not to keep you 100% safe. They take supply and many factors in consideration and advice to provide the best output for general society.

If public wastes masks then health professional will not have them as there's simply no masks available in the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

******* pharmacy in Kinsale road cork has a big sign outside saying hand sanatiser now available.

We are a family if 4 so I picked up 4 bottles so everyone could have one when they left the house.

Went to pay, 40 euro for 4 bottles.

10 euro for a 200ml bottle!!!

When I said this was a rip off they said it was all they could source.

After purchasing I examined the label to see where in the world these were flown in from to justify this price tag.

The label indicated it was manufactured 10 miles away in waregrasshill Cork.

Dirty robbing feckers price gouging in a national emergency.

Never will I set foot in that pharmacy again.

Avoid if you can, they want to Rob you blind.
    It is possible that the manufacturer is the one doing the gouging - don't shoot the messenger.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

***************** has a big sign outside saying hand sanatiser now available.

We are a family if 4 so I picked up 4 bottles so everyone could have one when they left the house.

Went to pay, 40 euro for 4 bottles.

10 euro for a 200ml bottle!!!

When I said this was a rip off they said it was all they could source.

After purchasing I examined the label to see where in the world these were flown in from to justify this price tag.

The label indicated it was manufactured 10 miles away in waregrasshill Cork.

Dirty robbing feckers price gouging in a national emergency.

Never will I set foot in that pharmacy again.

Avoid if you can, they want to Rob you blind.

Supply and demand I suppose. The government should do better wrapping up the supply. They could do it abroad, why they can't here?

You can buy high quality hand sanitizer for as little as 3 EUR for 1 litter bottle. The 10 EUR for 200 ml is super opportunistic, but this sort of things happen if there's no coordination and supply dries out.

Advertisement