Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

voluntary wrote: »
    Yes, because they advice based on statistics. Their goal is not to keep you 100% safe. They take supply and many factors in consideration and advice to provide the best output for general society.

If public wastes masks then health professional will not have them as there's simply no masks available in the whole world.

Now you see you are making this up. This drives me nuts. WHO & HSE & all world health bodies are wrong & you are right.

Here's a question to ask yourself, Why do doctors & nurses only wear masks in hospitals? Why don't they wear them on the bus, DART, LUAS or while out shopping? The answer is because they know more than you & have training in these things. In hospitals the recommended procedure is to replace the mask between patients

Here's another thing, scarf around your face is a waste of time too unless you replace scarf every 15 to 30 minutes & wash them afterwards.

People see this nonsense on TV from China. What they don't realize is that these people wear masks all year round because of the pollution in Chinese cities. They were masks from childhood upwards. They aren't wearing masks specially for this virus. To them its like us putting on a hat in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Why don't they wear them on the bus, DART, LUAS or while out shopping?

I think now you're making this up. How would you know if they wear masks on DART? I bet most surgeons drive these days anyways to avoid transmission!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Esel wrote: »
    It is possible that the manufacturer is the one doing the gouging - don't shoot the messenger.

Exactly . The pharmacy probably paid over the odds for them . No one was obliged to buy them .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly . The pharmacy probably paid over the odds for them . No one was obliged to buy them .

They are an essential in the current environment for anyone who still needs to work and can't from home.

Article indicates that it's being manufactured in national interest and alcohol being provided for free by distillers.

But sure defend the pharmacy.you know nothing about..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think now you're making this up. How would you know if they wear masks on DART? I bet most surgeons drive these days anyways to avoid transmission!

Like most people in Dublin I know many people working in Dublin hospitals. Family members are young doctors working in different hospitals in & outside of Dublin. All you have to do is watch them come you of the hospital. Not a single one wears gloves or a mask.

But as usual Boards posters know more than our trained professionals, HSE & the WHO. It's a wonder that boards members haven't come up with a cure yet. :D

If masks work for medical professionals and they'll work for us mere mortals.

Masks work and there is benefit if you have a P2 or P3 mask and most importantly use it correctly. They just don't want everyone panicking because there are no masks available to buy. Unless you were quick enough to buy the correct masks when this all kicked off in China. Before the Chinese in Ireland were buying up and posting back to China.

There is a thread on here from a doctor see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219 . He secured his own supply of masks and gloves for him and family members. I think I'll trust him over believing what media, government or WHO may say.

Another way of looking at it. If main route of transmission was through self infection by touching infected surfaces then why are they strongly pushing social distancing?
    Correct. Masks are effective at limiting the spread (on public transport etc). The first thing Singapore did (in Jan!) was to issue masks to every household in the country.

We should have had a national stockpile of masks, of all types. The amount of idiotic things we have a stockpile of, and no masks? Someone needs to be held accountable for that. As soon as it was obvious how bad this was (several months ago!), we should have been producing them 24/7 and limiting export.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They are an essential in the current environment for anyone who still needs to work and can't from home.

Article indicates that it's being manufactured in national interest and alcohol being provided for free by distillers.

But sure defend the pharmacy.you know nothing about..

I am defending no one but have an open mind . Was it that hand sanitizer named in the article that you bought ?

I am defending no one but have an open mind . Was it that hand sanitizer named in the article that you bought ?

Yes it was, manufactured on 18march2020 in Cork according to the label by the lab mentioned in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jccg

My daughters are putting teatree oil in the soap dispenser ,we cant get hand sanitiser but hopefully this will work,cant harm anyway

• Advertisement

I'll be contacting the lab directly to find out the cost to retailers.
    I can afford the price paid no problem but I'm really pissed at the gouging.
    People are really pulling together over the past few weeks and this goes against all of it.

I'll update once I have news.

jccg wrote: »
    My daughters are putting teatree oil in the soap dispenser ,we cant get hand sanitiser but hopefully this will work,cant harm anyway

No need for that. Soap + water is as good as alcohol for this virus. The key is to remove the lipids/grease as this particular virus lives within a lipid molecule.

Use alcohol based sanitizers only where soap + water not available (work, shops, outside, public places, buses, trains etc).

If someone in your household has flu-like symptoms, consider regularly disinfecting objects in your home, since the new coronavirus has been shown to survive for 16 hours on plastics.

Never use different cleaning agents at the same time. Some household chemicals, if mixed, can create dangerous and poisonous gases.

If you use bleach, use one-quarter cup of bleach per 1 gallon of cold water, but be sure to follow directions on the product label. Make the diluted bleach solution as needed and use within 24 hours, as its disinfecting power fades with time, Duffy and Schaffner said.

Nonporous items like plastic toys can be dipped in bleach for 30 seconds. Household surfaces that won't be damaged by bleach should get 10 or more minutes of exposure.

Bleach solutions are hard on the skin, so don't use them as a substitute for hand-washing and/or hand sanitizer.

Many forms of alcohol, including rubbing alcohol, can kill germs. You can dilute alcohol with water (or aloe vera to make hand sanitizer) but be sure to keep an alcohol concentration of around 70% to kill coronaviruses, Duffy and Schaffner said.

Solutions of 70% alcohol should be left on surfaces for 30 seconds (including cellphones) to ensure they will kill viruses. Pure (100%) alcohol evaporates too quickly for such use.

Unlike bleach solutions, alcohol solutions will remain potent as long as they're kept sealed between uses. But a 70% alcohol solution with water is harsh on the hands and shouldn't be used as a substitute for hand-washing and/or hand sanitizer, Duffy and Schaffner said.

Hydrogen peroxide is typically sold in concentrations of about 3%. It can be used as is, or diluted to 0.5% concentration for effective use against coronaviruses on surfaces. It should be left on surfaces for one minute before wiping.

Natural chemicals such as vinegar and tea tree oil are not recommended for fighting coronaviruses.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-18/the-most-effective-ways-to-kill-coronavirus-in-your-home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Higher price will help stop hoarding and if it was EUR1 for 200ml you'd probably walk out the door with 10 bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Re; P3 masks

There’s mad b*stards charging £300 Sterling for a pack of 5 online and saying they can’t guarantee you’ll get the brand you requested 👀

Still looking for a link to a reasonably priced P2 or P3 mask and I just need the one

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It can harm if people use something that has no effect in place using the real thing or washing their hands. Not saying your daughters are doing this by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Re; P3 masks

There’s mad b*stards charging £300 Sterling for a pack of 5 online and saying they can’t guarantee you’ll get the brand you requested ��
    We should regard profiteers like they do in war. Fine them, if that doesn't work prison. Though I'd happily line them up against the nearest wall. I'd be a bit of a fascist mind you. Oh and I'd most certainly include big business types too. They escape too damned often(QV nazi Germany).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It will indeed. Soap is very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Higher price will help stop hoarding and if it was EUR1 for 200ml you'd probably walk out the door with 10 bottles.

Price should be €1 a bottle.

€100 for the second bottle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

endacl wrote: »
    Price should be €1 a bottle.

€100 for the second bottle.

I saw a picture of a supermarket in Denmark doing exactly that. First bottle was cheap enough, but you have to pay through the nose for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

For any blokes would give the tea-tree oil fancy stuff a bit of a wide berth (endocrine disruptor).

Glycerin or WD40 oil if really needed, with a splash of brut/old spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

I'd love for hand sanitiser to come back into the shops. Out of necessity, I still have to move around in the outside world a bit. Unless I start towing a tank of water and a bar of soap around with me, washing my hands isn't always practical.

What I find disappointing is that it's been over 3 months since the virus started spreading in China, the gov received the first reports of the risk of spreading the virus outside China in early January and yet they failed to ramp up the basic hand sanitizer production.
    The hand sanitizer should be widely available in every shop and cheap as potatoes at this stage. How can people comply with advises to sanitize hands if we can't even buy a hand sanitizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tork wrote: »
    I'd love for hand sanitiser to come back into the shops. Out of necessity, I still have to move around in the outside world a bit. Unless I start towing a tank of water and a bar of soap around with me, washing my hands isn't always practical.

Beauty basket.ie have it in stock online. Delivered via dpd, and quite quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

jlm29 wrote: »
    Beauty basket.ie have it in stock online. Delivered via dpd, and quite quickly
    €6 + post & packaging for 100ml.

Anywhere with reasonable prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

A local distillery (small operation) is making it so that's where I got bottle today. It seems to be a side operation for a few of these sorts of places now.

An economic homemade version:

500 ml of Methylated Spirit from woodies for 3.99 add 200 ml tap water and some glycerin or/and E capsule content.
    keep it sealed so the alcohol doesn't vapor.

Don't drink! Methylated alcohol is poisonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

500 ml of Methylated Spirit from woodies for 3.99 add 200 ml tap water and some glycerin or/and E capsule content.

Why would you drink hand sanitizer?

Is that where its all gone?

People drinking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you have evidence that's effective?

Edit: I was thinking of white spirits. I guess the above would be about 65-70% alcohol so should work.

• Advertisement

Should have over 90% alcohol content, mostly ethyl with some additives so people don't drink it.

Advertisement