Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's all the permanent, full-time teaching jobs?

Options
  • 18-03-2020 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just out of curiosity, I searched for teaching jobs on the education posts website for the subjects I'd be qualified to teach (if I had the H-DIP or whatever it's called).

I could teach Science for Junior Cert and Physics and Chemistry for Leaving Cert and maybe maths to a certain level (I did maths for 2 years of my degree for a signifigant proportion of the first two years).

There's shag all jobs :confused:

They're all temporary, contract and maternity cover jos.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This has been the case for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Just out of curiosity, I searched for teaching jobs on the education posts website for the subjects I'd be qualified to teach (if I had the H-DIP or whatever it's called).

I could teach Science for Junior Cert and Physics and Chemistry for Leaving Cert and maybe maths to a certain level (I did maths for 2 years of my degree for a signifigant proportion of the first two years).

This time of the year there will not be any permanent or similar contracts on offer, they will be available from June. Maths is in huge demand, make sure you check to see can you get qualified to teach it and you will find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

That would be up to the teaching council to decide :pac:

BTW there's no such thing as 'teaching maths to a certain level', you're either qualified to teach it to LC or you're not. In saying that, you might have enough credits to teach it (assuming the TC decides so). Plus if a school sees you have a good bit of maths and they have no option they might put you in teaching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no such thing as having maths to a certain level. You are either qualified to teach it or you're not. If you only have it for the first two years of your degree then you're not.

There are very few jobs advertised at this time of year. Most jobs are advertised in summer for a September start. And permanent jobs aren't advertised. You get a year long contract. You then have to reinterview the following year, if you get the second year and complete the second year, then you are eligible for a CID.

Advertisement