Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there many strains of CoronaVirus? Is Sars and Covid19 different strains?

I'm confusing myself more now

Iceland has found 40 mutations of Covid19. They have even tracked some of the sources of the different mutations. One was a football match in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

threeball wrote: »
    In that case why is it decimating Italy but had no real traction here and only kicking off in the UK. If it's here since December and it only originated in late November how is Italy so far ahead.

They also know exactly the origin of the Italian infection and the problems spiralled from there. It's not plausible to say it's been around almost 4 months and no one noticed.

Yeh theres just way too many holes in this story..based on vaguely plausible theories and anecdotes of a 'bad bug goin around'

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I don't know. Maybe Italians see their grandparents more. Maybe retirees see each other more. What I find bizarre is the fear people have of this thing spreading so easily, but at the same time, the idea that it got from China to Italy in November or December just isn't plausible.

In my unscientific opinion, so take this with a grain of salt, in a few years, the estimated death rate of this virus will be close to influenza, and it was the way it spread that led to so many deaths. No one immune, far too many people asymptomatic and spreading it, mild cases spreading it, and it finally reaching a large number of vulnerable people. I think most of us will have had it.

That is a fair point, bearing in mind how infectious it is it does seem weird that it took its time reaching Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Scientists and medical professionals have been saying for the last two months now that a vaccine could be 12/18 months away, deduct 2 months it should be either 10/16 months away.

Only if they have already a lab based vaccine. Otherwise meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

threeball wrote: »
    In that case why is it decimating Italy but had no real traction here and only kicking off in the UK. If it's here since December and it only originated in late November how is Italy so far ahead.

They also know exactly the origin of the Italian infection and the problems spiralled from there. It's not plausible to say it's been around almost 4 months and no one noticed.
    Well if it was around three months before it was identified (likely) it has mutated 7 times according to the Chinese and reports coming out today from Iceland say they have identified 40 different strains, one person with two strains...these evolved from three strains....now this has to be peer reviewed etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

maebee wrote: »
    I shared a what's app of a vid of ppl in cars queuing for testing today in Pairc Ui Chaoimh (don't know how to share it here) to a friend in Scotland, who was baffled by it. He's (loosely) in the medical profession and told me that there's no such thing as "public" testing there. It's only done when you get to the hospital stage. If you want to get a private test it will cost you £350 !!!. He was amazed when I told him that we've set up 30+ centres in the past week and that ppl with symptoms are getting tested for free. This little island of ours is a million miles ahead of the "big boys".

You aren't comparing like for like. Ireland has a lower population than the UK. New Zealand has the same population and no deaths. Croatia has less and 1 deaths so Ireland isn't even as good as countries with the same or lower populations.

(I mean seriously it's become a little sick at the moment the competitiveness instead of expressing feelings of sympathy for the hardship that people are going through everywhere. Italy has 60 million people, UK has just more than that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I had mucus / phlegm I couldn't get up, in the end I had pleurisy from the cough, sides sore

What are antivirals? I assume what I was given were antibiotics - Clonamox Augmentin or Amoxicillin etc.,
    Me too, got antibiotics for a diagnosed upper tract bacterial infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I don't know. Maybe Italians see their grandparents more. Maybe retirees see each other more. What I find bizarre is the fear people have of this thing spreading so easily, but at the same time, the idea that it got from China to Italy in November or December just isn't plausible.

In my unscientific opinion, so take this with a grain of salt, in a few years, the estimated death rate of this virus will be close to influenza, and it was the way it spread that led to so many deaths. No one immune, far too many people asymptomatic and spreading it, mild cases spreading it, and it finally reaching a large number of vulnerable people. I think most of us will have had it.

Italy's population is the second oldest in the world. Hemce they will have weaker immune systems. This means that Italy will have higher infection rates, more people with severe symptoms and more deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

saabsaab wrote: »
    Antibiotics work against bacteria only. Antivirals work against viruses only. However, if one gets a flu from a virus a bacterial infection can sometimes 'piggyback' on your weakened body thus the need for antibiotics as well.
    Yeah I nearly always end up on an antibiotic after getting a head cold due to chronic sinus trouble. And often steroids too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

auspicious wrote: »
    -Americans still congregating on beaches or in shopping malls.
    -Hospital’s equipment supply diminished, one anesthesiologist wore a plastic bag over his head during a procedure.
    -One in 10 Americans have no health insurance, while a widespread lack of sick pay across the country has forced many ill people into work despite the risk of spreading the virus.
    -Trump has signaled that he is prepared to wind down restrictions at the end of a 15-day window in an attempt to bolster the economy and a sagging stock market.
    -Some hospitals already reaching full ICU capacity.

The future looks dire there. Trump has secured his legacy.

He wants full churches at Easter. Priorities?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

MipMap wrote: »
    fcking Shamrock

Gets incinerated immediately anyway every year because it's considered a biohazard by the Secret Service.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/white-house-furnace-shock-for-shamrock-114843.html

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I had mucus / phlegm I couldn't get up, in the end I had pleurisy from the cough, sides sore

What are antivirals? I assume what I was given were antibiotics - Clonamox Augmentin or Amoxicillin etc.,

Antivirals inhibit a part of Viral replication. The most common ones the general public would be aware of:

Valaciclovir, Tenofovir - used in PrEP, Oseltamivir aka Tamiflu, Acyclovir aka Zovirax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

fritzelly wrote: »
    What societal changes do people think will happen when this is all over? Cannot imagine everyone suddenly starts wearing face masks like some Asian countries.
    Or do we go back to the same old thing?
    It's shown lots of people, for example, can easily work from home - is there any need for 10s of thousands of people commuting to work every day
    Will hospitals build in to their infrastructure more safeguards against future pandemics (we still don't know if this thing is going to continue to circulate like the flu or mutate)

Any other thoughts? Normally normalcy prevails in this thread at this time of night...

I don’t think we’ll go back to the way we were before. Well need to rethink things, even the fact of the Venice canals being full of fish after so long might make us consider our effects on the planet.Will we even want to travel by air as much? I know I’d be very relecutant now, stuck beside someone on a flight. I think we’ll also have a lot of traumatized people, though time is a great healer. We might have an existentialist crisis and I think it’s already starting for some people. But still we can pull through and hopefully we’ll be nicer to each other when all this ends having been through this surreal yet strangely bonding experience. Of course I could be completely wrong as well but definitely things won’t be back to normal for a long time or we’ll have new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyone see the video Conor McGregor put up on instagram? Embarrasment

Italy's population is the second oldest in the world. Hemce they will have weaker immune systems. This means that Italy will have higher infection rates, more people with severe symptoms and more deaths.

The old age of Italy is highly overexaggerated, it is very old but there are dozens and dozens of asian and european countries with a comparably aged demographic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_median_age

Cases in New Zealand double overnight to over 200, state of emergency declared

Australia also reports over 430 new cases overnight

frillyleaf wrote: »
    “Relaxed” in China is still doing more than what western countries seem to do. For example, They scan everyone’s temp before boarding buses or entering shops, they social distance still and have people disinfecting rails on buses after journeys, churches, streets etc. I think there are still regions that quarantine applies to when entering country

Just wondering should we be praising China that much, since its being reported they kept 43,000 positive tests of people that displayed no symptoms out of their official stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

josip wrote: »
    Gets incinerated immediately anyway every year because it's considered a biohazard by the Secret Service.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/white-house-furnace-shock-for-shamrock-114843.html

You learn something ever day !
    Always wondered what happened to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Shn99 wrote: »

This one?

https://twitter.com/TomCraze/status/1242470081776345088

After watching Trump say he was going to cleanse the US of coronavirus in a matter of days or Claire Byrne broadcasting from a shed etc it's hard to tell how much more absurd this can possibly get.

11 passengers died on the cruise ship with 15 more still in a serious condition and over 100 hundred cases still active, I think it is astounding that this is still being compared to a flu. And the cruise ship was not full of geriatrics, average age of 58. Also 1/3 of the people on board were workers, presumably exclusively under 65

And yes those reasons you listed will be large contributors to why it has been so devastating so far. But the main reason it is causing a lot of deaths is because it kills elderly and vulnerable people in far larger numbers than flu does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Shn99 wrote: »

No. Did he pock Bonos head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This one?

After watching Trump say he was going to cleanse the US of coronavirus in a matter of days or Claire Byrne broadcasting from a shed etc it's hard to tell how much more absurd this can possibly get.

He should of done this with a pack of King Crisps and a wink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Antivirals inhibit a part of Viral replication. The most common ones the general public would be aware of:

Valaciclovir, Tenofovir - used in PrEP, Oseltamivir aka Tamiflu, Acyclovir aka Zovirax

I use Zovirax for cold sores

This isn't aimed at you but I'm going to try and describe what I think is happening.

Every county in Ireland has 100 people who are particularly vulnerable. These are the ICU / deaths.

Week 1: It spreads a bit. Slow because of the incubation period.
    Week 2: More people have it. Some people see their parents and give it to them. Small increase in pneumonia etc.
    Week 3: A lot more people have it. Still mostly spreading it around the working age population.
    .. Very few of the 100 extremely vulnerable in each county have been exposed.
    Week 10: Loads and loads of people have it. People still barely even know about what this thing is. Now, these people see their parents, and unfortunately, there is simply so many people who have it that the extremely vulnerable start getting it from their kids and from each other.

It just makes sense to me right now that that is how it went down. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

This one?

He's cracking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Unfortunately for us, as long as the future looks dire in the US, it does for all of us also

wakka12 wrote: »
    The old age of Italy is highly overexaggerated, it is very old but there are dozens and dozens of asian and european countries with a similarly aged demographic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_median_age

Well, it's the second oldest population in the world after Japan which isn't an exaggeration. It's a fact. The virus took off in the north of Italy and despite their having an excellent health service, it has decimated the population. A deadly virus + elderly population = lots of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

robinph wrote: »
    There have been close to 200 instances of the virus entering a country, or state in the case of the US, them going "oh crap", finding another case and then establishing the links between the cases before things get out of hand. Plenty of chance for one of these initial community transmissions to have been picked up from the tracing if the infection was happening in places like supermarkets or where people were not in direct or very close contact with each other.

I'm not going to be licking the handle of the shopping trolley in the supermarket or getting overly close with the checkout staff admittedly, but don't think the risks there are anywhere even on the same scale as the risks from public transport and being in an office with hundreds of others for hours on end each day.

However, telling everyone to keep two meters apart and enforcing that in places like supermarkets is a good way of training people to then do the same when they get on the bus and go to work where they are generally in closer proximity to others anyway.

I was showing how numbers can add up but the Supermarket is a risk.

How many unsanitized items does the checkout operator handle?

Are they wearing and changing gloves?

Do they all use sanitizer after each customer?

Does everyone keep their distance in the shop?

If you pay by cash how many have handled it beforehand or if by pin is that cleaned each time?
    Is the store wiping down the trollies?

I know that all of the above are are risk items and care not being taken all the time. Any cases resulting would be nigh impossible to

prove and classed as community transmission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Just wondering should we be praising China that much, since its being reported they kept 43,000 positive tests of people that displayed no symptoms out of their official stats?

Been saying this when people were getting excited about China having no new cases..... Don't believe a word they say. Its bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Or had a different internal yardstick for statistical categorisation, whether this diffesr from all other countries, I have no idea, nor evidence one way or the other.

Different countries do things differently. It may well be that statistical distortion occurred.

But have a look at the practice at present in the UK and you will see that there are many ways of skewing official statistics.

Could what we have done today also fall into that catagory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Well, least The Fermi Paradox is solved. Viruses + sh1tty leaders = radio silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It's not great that we cant get test done faster so that we can identify the people with the virus. This slow testing does have an upside, those that are waiting for results at least 40000 it seems will most likely self isolate and stay out of harms way. Only a small % will be positive but we will see have the benefit of those of the 40000 that are not infected not moving around and being exposed to the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trump looks baffled. Big Business can't solve this for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

-Americans still congregating on beaches or in shopping malls.
    -Hospital’s equipment supply diminished, one anesthesiologist wore a plastic bag over his head during a procedure.
    -One in 10 Americans have no health insurance, while a widespread lack of sick pay across the country has forced many ill people into work despite the risk of spreading the virus.
    -Trump has signaled that he is prepared to wind down restrictions at the end of a 15-day window in an attempt to bolster the economy and a sagging stock market.
    -Some hospitals already reaching full ICU capacity.

Surely Surely to fcuk that Trump does not have the final say on scientific measures needed to control this virus. Surely some of his back staff can overrule. Surely the chief medical officer or equivalent can put his foot down on the best course of action ?

Surely ?

• Advertisement

Well, it's the second oldest population in the world after Japan which isn't an exaggeration. It's a fact. The virus took off in the north of Italy and despite their having an excellent health service, it has decimated the population. A deadly virus + elderly population = lots of deaths.

I never said it wasnt old , I said there are many other countries in Europe and Asia with comparable age demographics. The way its phrased, is as if this is just a problem for Italy, its only bad there because they have such an old population, when almost all of Europe has an enormous over 65+ demographic exactly like Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

If you pay by cash how many have handled it beforehand or if by pin is that cleaned each time?

I know that all of the above are are risk items and care not being taken all the time. Any cases resulting would be nigh impossible to

Fully Agree - I always make it a point of telling them how much I appreciate
    what they are doing. As far as I am concerned they are front line- just as much as health workers. Delighted they got a 10% bonus. Wasn't enough.

This isn't aimed at you but I'm going to try and describe what I think is happening.

Every county in Ireland has 100 people who are particularly vulnerable. These are the ICU / deaths.

Week 1: It spreads a bit. Slow because of the incubation period.
    Week 2: More people have it. Some people see their parents and give it to them. Small increase in pneumonia etc.
    Week 3: A lot more people have it. Still mostly spreading it around the working age population.
    .. Very few of the 100 extremely vulnerable in each county have been exposed.
    Week 10: Loads and loads of people have it. People still barely even know about what this thing is. Now, these people see their parents, and unfortunately, there is simply so many people who have it that the extremely vulnerable start getting it from their kids and from each other.

It just makes sense to me right now that that is how it went down. Time will tell.

I think that's more or less what happens. It's how seriously and how quickly countries react that determines how health services can cope. Every country in the world is in trouble. However, by comparison to other western countries Britain, and to a greater degree the US, are unfortunately in deep sh1t.

11 passengers died on the cruise ship with 15 more still in a serious condition and over 100 hundred cases still active, I think it is astounding that this is still being compared to a flu. And the cruise ship was not full of geriatrics, average age of 58. Also 1/3 of the people on board were workers, presumably exclusively under 65

And yes those reasons you listed will be large contributors to why it has been so devastating so far. But the main reason it is causing a lot of deaths is because it kills elderly and vulnerable people in far larger numbers than flu does

I'm not comparing it to the flu. I said in the future, the estimated death rate could be similar. Pneumonia is very dangerous for old people, and therefore it's more lethal for them. My point is centered on how it got to those old people.. ie. massive rates of infection.

I'm not really sure why you're so against this notion. I mean, if you were a betting man, would you say Covid reach Italy from China in December or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Sure there's not groups of 4 people there so it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

vladmydad wrote: »

That's only been posted about 10 times today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It's not great that we cant get test done faster so that we can identify the people with the virus. This slow testing does have an upside, those that are waiting for results at least 40000 it seems will most likely self isolate and stay out of harms way. Only a small % will be positive but we will see have the benefit of those of the 40000 that are not infected not moving around and being exposed to the virus.

You've really got to wonder about all of the idiots who came back from Spain etc. Whether they've had the cop on to self isolate when they didn't have the cop on two weeks previous to not go abroad.
    Spain is becoming a real European worry now. Some of that worry must be coming our way also.

Trump looks baffled.

ET6gxEfUMAE5KLS?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MipMap wrote: »
    Fully Agree - I always make it a point of telling them how much I appreciate
    what they are doing. As far as I am concerned they are front line- just as much as health workers. Delighted they got a 10% bonus. Wasn't enough.

Can fortunately get a delivery. First time for everything. Not sure about the logistics of it all, ie taking the boxes in and all that, but better than going out to the supermarket if I don't have to.

Will give a tip to the delivery guy/girl but don't know if they are allowed to accept. They are doing sterling work, and should all get time and a half for every hour they are working. Supermarkets are really the only business that most of us absolutely need, and they are creaming it.

I have already sent an email to the shop I use about rewarding their staff, await a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You know it's ludicrous in here where people are blaming Trump for everything but it's poor Italy and poor Spain and not a word about their leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You've really got to wonder about all of the idiots who came back from Spain etc. Whether they've had the cop on to self isolate when they didn't have the cop on two weeks previous to not go abroad.
    Spain is becoming a real European worry now. Some of that worry must be coming our way also.

Some of the worry coming our way such as what exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If a checkout operator is using sanitiser after each customer why would they need gloves?

Customers should be using contactless as requested. Ideally phone's with Apple or Google Pay as €30 does not apply, accept for Tesco which archaic.

Also, most supermarkets have now put up pespex screens at the checkouts.

I think all supermarkets apart from Aldi have done decent jobs and are controlling crowds.
    Up to the public now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know it's ludicrous in here where people are blaming Trump for everything but it's poor Italy and poor Spain and not a word about their leaders.

TDS

I never said it wasnt old , I said there are many other countries in Europe and Asia with comparable age demographics. The way its phrased, is as if this is just a problem for Italy, its only bad there because they have such an old population, when almost all of Europe has an enormous over 65+ demographic exactly like Italy

Sure. But Italy had a cluster that they couldn't get under control. Add in their unusually elderly population and you have a serious problem. The median age in Italy is 47. For example, in Ireland it is 36.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement