Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I use Zovirax for cold sores

Yep. Cold sores are caused by a herpes virus.

PS don't bother with ziovirax, it's €10 a tube and there's almost no evidence it does anything. It's a waste tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You've really got to wonder about all of the idiots who came back from Spain etc. Whether they've had the cop on to self isolate when they didn't have the cop on two weeks previous to not go abroad.
    Spain is becoming a real European worry now. Some of that worry must be coming our way also.

Lived in Spain For 20 years.
    They are fantastic people. When it is our turn they will flock to assist us
    because that is the way they are. We are all Europeans and we need to stick together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know it's ludicrous in here where people are blaming Trump for everything but it's poor Italy and poor Spain and not a word about their leaders.

Becuase their leaders are doing their best in very difficult circumstances and were very quickly overwhelmed by the virus.

Trump delayed, denied and sneered at the virus. Refused to take action.

Played politics with it by calling it a Chinese virus or saying this is why they need borders.

Then he eventually had to back down as the numbers started ramping up. Assembled a team, huddle them all together on stage, shook hands with them al, whilst suspected of carrying the virus and pronounced what a great job he's done and gave himself a 10.

Now he's talking about stopping restrictions and claims they have a cure ready.

The man is dangerous, cares only about the economy and money and his hubris is costing people lies.

Spanish and Italian leaders are not like this, they're doing their best under extraordinary circumstances . They made mistakes but that is to be expected.

They''ve not made decisions that deliberately costs lives. Massive difference to Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

wakka12 wrote: »
    I never said it wasnt old , I said there are many other countries in Europe and Asia with comparable age demographics. The way its phrased, is as if this is just a problem for Italy, its only bad there because they have such an old population, when almost all of Europe has an enormous over 65+ demographic exactly like Italy

Yes, but Italy has multi-generational families living under the one roof and/or keeping in very close contact. Its another factor working against them to keep in mind.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You've really got to wonder about all of the idiots who came back from Spain etc. Whether they've had the cop on to self isolate when they didn't have the cop on two weeks previous to not go abroad.
    Spain is becoming a real European worry now. Some of that worry must be coming our way also.

Again people making massive deal about tiny numbers that are now coming into the country, mostly Irish citizens.

The virus is in our community now and spreading. That's where the fight should be.

People just to blame all the cases on those went to Cheltenham or Spain as if the infection rates were 100% there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is China retesting every few weeks or months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Yes. The province of Lombardy is not much bigger than the province of Leinster but has a population of over 10 million... Where so many of them appear to be living in pretty full apartments. We're pretty lucky in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Yes, but Italy has multi-generational families living under the one roof and/or keeping in very close contact. Its another factor working against them to keep in mind.

Yes it may be but shouldn’t make us complacent and I’m not suggesting you are saying that.I thought I read somewhere before that Ireland and UK have some of the smallest houses/ properties in Europe in terms of square feet or whatever. But true that multi generational families don’t tend to live together here.

Yeah, really big factor compared to say Ireland where people are living in Dublin away from their parents and having spent Christmas with them, aren't going home as much in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

murpho999 wrote: »
    Again people making massive deal about tiny numbers that are now coming into the country, mostly Irish citizens.

The virus is in our community now and spreading. That's where the fight should be.

People just to blame all the cases on those went to Cheltenham or Spain as if the infection rates were 100% there.

You went to Cheltenham didn’t you ?

Is China retesting every few weeks or months?

You cannot depend on any information that comes out of China.

vladmydad wrote: »
    You went to Cheltenham didn’t you ?

No I didn't and it should never have gone ahead but the Brits were in denial than,

My point is though that people seem to think that every Irish person who came back was infected and they weren't. People are just looking for scapegoats.

MipMap wrote: »

That’s the worry.

• Advertisement

I'm really confused. Is there a link to the new criteria for getting a test? I don't understand what qualifies you for a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And up two places to 3rd is USA, But still no 1 after 12 weeks is China with Coronavirus .

citysights wrote: »
    That’s the worry.

I agree. It would be very concerning that a country taking China's extreme measures had no success with them. It would make the economic collapse we're going through as a result of doing a fraction of what they did seem pretty pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Irish couple who returned to China and put into quarantine, the self entitlement is unbelievable given the circumstances

Moaning how they should have been allowed self isolate at their apartment, they were freezing cold, it's like a prison, they should have been informed they'd have to quarantine in a hotel so they "could have the luxury of making a decision whether to return"

https://www.thejournal.ie/hotel-room-quarantine-china-irish-woman-5055968-Mar2020/

Im not actually able like

Yes it may be but shouldn’t make us complacent and I’m not suggesting you are saying that.I thought I read somewhere before that Ireland and UK have some of the smallest houses/ properties in Europe in terms of square feet or whatever. But true that multi generational families don’t tend to live together here.

Absolutely, it should not make us complacent. Hopefully those currently living away from their parents, do not visit them if they can look after themselves. Makes you think though about the terrible plight of the dependent elderly whether in nursing homes or who are still at home but need a carer looking after them who has to come in every day. The nursing homes are isolated as much as possible but those people at home that must have outside assistance seem very vulnerable to potential infection to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

I'm really confused. Is there a link to the new criteria for getting a test? I don't understand what qualifies you for a test.

A mate of mine obviously has it. Been waiting for a test for a week now. Can't leave the house. Lives with two elderly parents

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Just where did you think that the population infection data, and medical studies that the WHO, ECDC, and HSE are basing their decisions upon came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Louisiana has 4.66m people. 1388 cases, same as Ireland, with 216 new cases and 46 deaths . Louisiana is a real hot spot, I'm not sure we are doing too good.

Tea Shock wrote: »
    A mate of mine obviously has it. Been waiting for a test for a week now. Can't leave the house. Lives with two elderly parents

Yeah there's a lot of people waiting. It's awful. But apparently today they changed the criteria for testing. So whereas yesterday just a cough or just a sore throat was enough to get tested, now it's different. But I'd like to know in what way? What now qualifies you for a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Did he consult his GP? I don't understand the long test wait period still now considering the new test centres and kits

I agree. It would be very concerning that a country taking China's extreme measures had no success with them. It would make the economic collapse we're going through as a result of doing a fraction of what they did seem pretty pointless.

Yes they could be lying about their numbers, at the start before they shut down online discussion over there people were saying there that the figures were much higher than the official ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Irish couple who returned to China and put into quarantine, the self entitlement is unbelievable given the circumstances

Moaning how they should have been allowed self isolate at their apartment, they were freezing cold, it's like a prison, they should have been informed they'd have to quarantine in a hotel so they "could have the luxury of making a decision whether to return"

https://www.thejournal.ie/hotel-room-quarantine-china-irish-woman-5055968-Mar2020/

Im not actually able like

Wonder if they've got the few thousand euro to pay for their quarantine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Yeah there's a lot of people waiting. It's awful. But apparently today they changed the criteria for testing. So whereas yesterday just a cough or just a sore throat was enough to get tested, now it's different. But I'd like to know in what way? What now qualifies you for a test?

Now you need to have 2 of the main symptoms.
    Fever and a sign of some respiratory distress such as coughing or shortness of breath.
    I'm not sure if a sore throat qualifies.

bekker wrote: »
    Just where did you think that the population infection data, and medical studies that the WHO, ECDC, and HSE are basing their decisions upon came from?

But could this all be inaccurate to a certain extent if data is modelled excluding the 43,000 symptomless carriers? (If its true they were deliberately kept out of official stats).

• Advertisement

I think you now need to have a dry cough and a temperature.
    They are tweaking the criteria to try to cut down the number of people who get referred for a test. In the beginning they would only test you if you had symptoms and had recently been to Italy or China. Now you need 2 symptoms to qualify.

It does not matter. If you feel sick ring your GP. He will advise you and tell you what to do.

We are far too focused on this testing business. It's primary purpose is to isolate possible case, find some of their contacts and isolate them. It has nothing to do with caring for you because there are no treatments for Covid 19.

The normal rules still apply - talk to your GP and if he is not available and you are in a bad way call for an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

ET6gxEfUMAE5KLS?format=jpg&name=small

Alas Obama was only good for dropping bombs, over a hundred thousand. We don't need his help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But could this all be inaccurate to a certain extent if data is modelled excluding the 43,000 symptomless carriers? (If its true they were deliberately kept out of official stats).

You don't say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1240371160078000128

The comments on this are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I thought I was lucky enough to still have a job to go to this week then noticed that my weekly wages are less than the dole now. I don't understand anything anymore:confused:

I think you now need to have a dry cough and a temperature.
    They are tweaking the criteria to try to cut down the number of people who get referred for a test. In the beginning they would only test you if you had symptoms and had recently been to Italy or China. Now you need 2 symptoms to qualify.

It does not matter. If you feel sick ring your GP. He will advise you and tell you what to do.

We are far too focused on this testing business. It's primary purpose is to isolate possible case, find some of their contacts and isolate them. It has nothing to do with caring for you because there are no treatments for Covid 19.

The normal rules still apply - talk to your GP and if he is not available and you are in a bad way call for an ambulance.

Thanks. Im wondering because my partner is still going to work daily and basically wondering if I feel unwell but don't qualify for a test, is he still ok to go to work. Anyway, thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Lives with two elderly parents:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    The question is should he be living with them at all!!!

A rehab hospital in the South of ROI with many elderly patients has 8 confirmed positive cases

I'm 65 and when I was their age I was just the same.
    We didn't have a virus, we had the threat of a nuclear war and we
    didn't give a sh1t about it. We lived for today and that is what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Compare symptoms of coronavirus, flu and cold.

When you may need a test
    You should self-isolate and call your GP to be assessed for a test if you have a (fever high temperature - 38 degrees Celsius or above or chills and one ) of the following symptoms:

a cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
    shortness of breath
    breathing difficulties
    If this is you, the people in your household need to restrict their movements.

HSELive is an information line only and can’t order coronavirus tests.

Read more about coronavirus testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm 65 and when I was their age I was just the same.
    We didn't have a virus, we had the threat of a nuclear war and we
    didn't give a sh1t about it. We lived for today and that is what they are doing.
    Maybe the difference was that if you'd been hit by a nuke, it wouldn't have made much difference to anybody else.

Thanks. Im wondering because my partner is still going to work daily and basically wondering if I feel unwell but don't qualify for a test, is he still ok to go to work. Anyway, thank you for the info.

If you feel unwell ring your GP. If you don't have a GP google the nearest one
    to you and discuss it with Him/Her.

Be Well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

RTE thinks it's important we know what Greta thinks

Greta Thunberg: Coronavirus crisis response shows world can act fast

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0324/1126125-thunberg-crisis-response-shows-world-can-act-fast/

Greta Thunberg says it's 'extremely likely' she has coronavirus.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/greta-thunberg-says-extremely-likely-coronavirus-361043
    The Swedish climate activist said she was self-isolating after returning from a trip around central Europe with her father around two weeks ago.

She said they both began to feel ill a few days later, with Thunberg suffering with “shivers, sore throat and cough”.

Thunberg said she had not been tested, in line with the policy in Sweden, and had now "basically recovered".

so thats where she's been

Louisiana has 4.66m people. 1388 cases, same as Ireland, with 216 new cases and 46 deaths . Louisiana is a real hot spot, I'm not sure we are doing too good.

So warm weather not slowing it down either

bekker wrote: »
    Compare symptoms of coronavirus, flu and cold.

When you may need a test
    You should self-isolate and call your GP to be assessed for a test if you have a (fever high temperature - 38 degrees Celsius or above or chills and one ) of the following symptoms:

a cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
    shortness of breath
    breathing difficulties
    If this is you, the people in your household need to restrict their movements.

HSELive is an information line only and can’t order coronavirus tests.

Read more about coronavirus testing

Thanks Bekker. That's very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

The advice they seem to be giving is that if you had symptoms you would need to self isolate at home and stay as far away from your partner as possible. Use separate bathrooms. Don't share stuff etc.

ETA: That was from https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html
    I saw the previous poster posted conflicting advice from the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don’t think we’ll go back to the way we were before. Well need to rethink things, even the fact of the Venice canals being full of fish after so long might make us consider our effects on the planet......

Nope. it'll be back to business as usual as soon as possible, if not before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

marilynrr wrote: »
    The advice they seem to be giving is that if you had symptoms you would need to self isolate at home and stay as far away from your partner as possible. Use separate bathrooms. Don't share stuff etc.

There’s a separate bathroom in every house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Spare a thought for your local burglar at this testing time. My area was plagued by such uninvited guests shortly before this outbreak. Reports of such enterings are zero these days, with practically everyone home they can’t get a look in.

One positive at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So warm weather not slowing it down either

I think we may forget about the warm weather myth lads. Some cold ones and a BBQ is what we should be focusing on with regards to the Summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement