Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

6 wrote: »
    Anyone awaiting a test with a cough only are now probably not in scope I'd assume?

I presume you will still be in the queue for testing. It said on RTE website that the new criteria is for new cases i.e. from now on.

"New rules have been introduced for Covid-19 testing, which means patients will need to meet revised criteria to qualify in future."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0325/1126202-those-seeking-test-must-display-two-major-symptoms/

I got that dose on January 5th. I passed it on to my dad. If it were COVID19 he would be dead but amoxicillin had his chest feeling better within a few days.

IT WAS NOT COVID19

Why would he be dead?

It's a forward step. It'll free up testing spots and let us prioritise testing for people who really need it.

There will be people who really need it who will not be tested because of this but if testing capacity is limited they have no other choice other than to try and weed out the more serious cases.

I presume you will still be in the queue for testing. It said on RTE website that the new criteria is for new cases i.e. from now on.

"New rules have been introduced for Covid-19 testing, which means patients will need to meet revised criteria to qualify in future."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0325/1126202-those-seeking-test-must-display-two-major-symptoms/

Nope, you now won't be tested. These people will need to contact their GP. They'll only get a test presumably if they fall into the new category.

From your article
    All patients who have not yet been swabbed, and who do not have an appointment for a test date, will not now be tested and will be required to reengage with their GP.

Why would he be dead?

Holy **** we did not have Covid-19 here after Christmas!! Present evidence or be quiet with this anecdotal BS.

• Advertisement

Why would he be dead?

He has a tracheotomy. Had a severe stroke in 2016. Developed epilepsy. Is catheterised and the slightest hint of a urinary tract infection wipes him out and if a UTI takes hold (which it does on occasion) he doesn’t even know we are in the room with him.

Holy **** we did not have Covid-19 here after Christmas!! Present evidence or be quiet with this anecdotal BS.

It's just a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Wow

He has a tracheotomy. Had a severe stroke in 2016. Developed epilepsy. Is catheterised and the slightest hint of a urinary tract infection wipes him out and if a UTI takes hold (which it does on occasion) he doesn’t even know we are in the room with him.

Do the same stats apply for everyone? As in, do you have the same chance of being asymptomatic if you're old?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

I agree , if I had visited my gp Friday week ago when criteria changed I would have been tested. I had racking cough , chest pressure, no fever. I had 2 lots of antibiotics and steroids. There are other cold viruses going so stop panicking ppl. If I’d have had it I am in close contact with an 87 yr old dad and sister who had major surgery, and immediate family. There all ok . It was bronchitis I had. Fully agree too many getting tested is creating a backlog and those you need help are having delays accessing. If you get it bad you will know from the fever, aches and pains , etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

US has approved a 2 TRILLION dollar bill to boost the economy.
    Stock market up 20% in two days

Corporations have been bailed out.
    3000 dollars to each American household
    Small businesses bailed out
    Hundreds of billions to the health care infrastructure

Stock markets around Asia and Europe have also rallied

Nope, you now won't be tested. These people will need to contact their GP. They'll only get a test presumably if they fall into the new category.

From your article

Thanks for the correction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

There's an NHS nurse on Good Morning Britain saying in her hospital in the North of England they are being asked to SHARE protective masks due to lack of PPE.

SHARE masks!

Anyways, milkshake, that sounds really rough if he gets it. Sorry to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

sidcon wrote: »
    Wow

That is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Even if these restrictions are successful is stopping the spread of the virus, it’s going to be a brave politician who would lift or even moderate the restrictions.
    It’s relatively easy to announce the stopping of activities. What would be the circumstances in which activities can be restarted? Because of the long incubation time of the disease it would be almost impossible to determine a point in time where there is no danger of a new outbreak.

Shelly66 wrote: »
    I agree , if I had visited my gp Friday week ago when criteria changed I would have been tested. I had racking cough , chest pressure, no fever. I had 2 lots of antibiotics and steroids. There are other cold viruses going so stop panicking ppl. If I’d have had it I am in close contact with an 87 yr old dad and sister who had major surgery, and immediate family. There all ok . It was bronchitis I had. Fully agree too many getting tested is creating a backlog and those you need help are having delays accessing. If you get it bad you will know from the fever, aches and pains , etc.

I presume you are self isolating? You should presume you have Corvid-19 until told otherwise. Lots of people have no temperature with it. Who you didn't potentially pass it on to proves nothing.

Do the same stats apply for everyone? As in, do you have the same chance of being asymptomatic if you're old?

I’m not 100% sure but the age range of those who have passed away would suggest they get hit hardest. His underlying conditions would have him as probable to pass away from it.

My mum is older than my dad. She’s nearly 85. Apart from a blood pressure tablet for mild hypertension, she is as fit as a fiddle. Her chances of fighting the virus would be good.

But I don’t want my folks used as a test study :D

I presume you are self isolating? You should presume you have Corvid-19 until told otherwise. Lots of people have no temperature with it. Who you didn't potentially pass it on to proves nothing.

No have not been self isolating. I am caring for others . My Gp listened to my lungs on the Thursday said I was ok. I have been caring for my family. Now if I had those symptoms now I would be . This was two weeks ago nearly and critereria has changed. I trusted my gp at the time , I did not have it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

From your article

So that’s the WHO’s “Test, Test, Test” blown off.

• Advertisement

greenpilot wrote: »
    I lost my job a week ago. 4 Kids and a Mortgage.
    Last night, for the first time in around 10 years, I slept well.
    My wife and I sat on the floor in front of the stove talking ****e until 2am. We haven't done this in years as we have both been working. (Turns out she's sound enough!)
    My teenagers have begun to read books again.
    No more aircraft flying over the house. You only notice this when it stops. We live near Knock Airport.
    Yesterday, I showed my son how to fish. We caught nothing, but he told me he had the best day ever.

People are calling this to end, and it will. But I can tell you one thing, it has placed a mirror on humanity and I don't think things will go back to the way it was.
    I haven't a bean. But I couldn't be happier, despite the horror around me.

This is a lovely post on this site. Would love to see more positive posts . Thinking of you and your family . Said to husband there are many families worse off than us that need help financially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The WHO gave a case definition. We're going to follow it and test the people who meet it.

There’s only so many tests to go around though.

I have a couple of hypochondriacs in my extended family who rang up as soon as criteria was relaxed. As far as I’m aware, they haven’t developed any further symptoms nor the health deteriorated since making that call.

Happily posting away on Facebook so they’re not priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Are couriers still working, can we order stuff online?

The WHO gave a case definition. We're going to follow it and test the people who meet it.

The WHO said “You cannot fight a fire blindfolded. And we cannot stop this pandemic if we don’t know who is infected.

We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test.

Test every suspected case.“

Test Test Test. Every. Suspected. Case.

There’s only so many tests to go around though.

I have a couple of hypochondriacs in my extended family who rang up as soon as criteria was relaxed. As far as I’m aware, they haven’t developed any further symptoms nor the health deteriorated since making that call.

Happily posting away on Facebook so they’re not priority.

That’s down to bad planning from our fearless leaders. Doesn’t change the WHO advice. Maybe we need to ask other countries to help us out.

The WHO said “You cannot fight a fire blindfolded. And we cannot stop this pandemic if we don’t know who is infected.

We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test.

Test every suspected case.“

Test Test Test. Every. Suspected. Case.

Did who update this policy?

macnug wrote: »

Yes for the moment , I ordered stuff for grandchildren books and Game. Leadtimes on delivery’s are long . May not even receive but for moment couriers are working

No have not been self isolating. I am caring for others . My Gp listened to my lungs on the Thursday said I was ok. I have been caring for my family. Now if I had those symptoms now I would be . This was two weeks ago nearly and critereria has changed. I trusted my gp at the time , I did not have it ??

The criteria are for testing, does not mean you do not have it. Symptoms vary so widely. Does not mean you do not have it. Look up HSE but advice is if you have any symptoms to self isolate.

"If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, you should behave as if you have the virus and self-isolate for 14 days. People in your household will need to restrict their movements."

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes-treatment.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Coyote wrote: »
    i would agree incomplete, but ICU beds needed over a 3-4 week period do not matter that much, we have what 300-400 of them in the stays the same case with most people needing 14-24 days in ICU they are not leaving before the bed is needed, unless you count dead in 4-5 days of hospital.
    if you need 12K ICU beds it does not matter who gets well if you only have 400 of them and they are used for 21 days per person
    Agree.
    Even Netherlands is under pressure with their ICUs.
    " the number of available beds dropping from "sufficient" to "few".

"On Tuesday between 90 and 100 patients from ICUs in Noord-Brabant were transferred to hospitals in the rest of the country"
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/25/546-coronavirus-patients-hospital-icus-beds-available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, it's a refined version of who to test , test , test. De Gascun last night suggested that many could have other illnesses. There really is no point in 15000 tests a day only finding 900 positives, when a more focused testing regime of say 4000 a day can turn up 1600 (They get 40% from annual flu' tests).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

macnug wrote: »

expect delays from europe. Quarantine etc

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Did who update this policy?
    No, it's as it was but they have redefined what could be cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Martina, Clinical Scientists also carry out testing in INAB accredited labs, and don't need to be members of the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

New Gallup poll, 6 out of 10 people approve of trumps response to Covid 19 as expected.

• Advertisement

I think every country in the world has their own issues with tests.

I think our government doing ok in light of the circumstances. It was said back in February with regards to ICU that there would be no point having thousands of ICU beds sitting idle for years just in case something like this happened. That would be a waste of resources.

Also, we couldn’t have tests stockpiled years ago for a virus that only came into existence at the end of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Osborne wrote: »
    Lots still open in Dublin, especially group Hotels such as Dalata (except the Clayton with all of those "confirmed" cases ;) ), Jurys Inns etc.

Mine closed last week though.

I suggested earlier that the Gov should think about requisitining Hotels or even Ferries to convert them into Hospitals for the milder cases.

Italy has just refitted a ship with a very quick turnaround
    https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news...navirus-relief

In the Netherlands, two hotel chains "are making hotels available as care centers for coronavirus patients and other patients to leave more room in hospitals. More than a hundred locations are ready to be converted for patient care within a short time"
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/24/fletcher-van-der-valk-make-hotels-available-treating-coronavirus-patients

That would be needed in Dublin.

The criteria are for testing, does not mean you do not have it. Symptoms vary so widely. Does not mean you do not have it. Look up HSE but advice is if you have any symptoms to self isolate.

"If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, you should behave as if you have the virus and self-isolate for 14 days. People in your household will need to restrict their movements."

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes-treatment.html

I know this , At this stage it’s abit late .

And I am sure there are many who assumed it to be a cold . I have a daughter here waiting for bone marrow biopsy and ct scan who will not get seen till this is over. I don’t take unnecessary risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When all this settles down it’s very important that we as a nation remember the huge amount of self entitled gombeens who live among us in society.
    I’m talking about the ones who ran out in week one and stripped the Aldi shelves bare.
    The same shelves are full again in spite of yere greedy efforts ye swine.huge thanks to the Aldi staff who had to witness and entertain that fcukin nonsense.
    I’m talking about the ones who queued up for a McDonald’s just to be seen doing it and having the guards go out and send ye home.precious emergency service time wasted on moving sheep out of a drive through.fcuking embarrassing.
    And finally a special mention for all the idiotic fools and their “sources” who sent all the messages about the “11am LOCKDOWN”.
    May ye all be remembered as the self entitled,idiotic gombeens that ye are and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I'm a bit worried. So say we isolate for three months and everything goes back to normal what happens if a major outbreak starts happening again? Do we all self isolate again?

Its a bit worrying that no vaccine has been produced after nearly three months. To get the amount needed for the over 60's and people with underlying medical conditions could take a long long time for the entire world. I'm no medical expert but could it be a few years before the vaccine is readily available if one ever is?

I just want this to end.

Isolating is when you can’t leave your house at all if you have Covid19 or symptoms. Social distancing is what we are doing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone here got tested and was negative? You are one of the 94%.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I know this , At this stage it’s abit late .

And I am sure there are many who assumed it to be a cold . I have a daughter here waiting for bone marrow biopsy and ct scan who will not get seen till this is over. I don’t take unnecessary risks.

I’m sorry this has delayed things for you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

When all this settles down it’s very important that we as a nation remember the huge amount of self entitled gombeens who live among us in society.
    I’m talking about the ones who ran out in week one and stripped the Aldi shelves bare.
    The same shelves are full again in spite of yere greedy efforts ye swine.huge thanks to the Aldi staff who had to witness and entertain that fcukin nonsense.
    I’m talking about the ones who queued up for a McDonald’s just to be seen doing it and having the guards go out and send ye home.precious emergency service time wasted on moving sheep out of a drive through.fcuking embarrassing.
    And finally a special mention for all the idiotic fools and their “sources” who sent all the messages about the “11am LOCKDOWN”.
    May ye all be remembered as the self entitled,idiotic gombeens that ye are and always will be.

True. I modestly stocked up food from the local Chinese store. This is about two weeks prior to the toilet paper buying panic phase.

Wasn't listening myself but someone said ref interview on radio this morning that people may have to call gp's again to get their name back on the list to be tested.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Wasn't listening myself but someone said ref interview on radio this morning that people may have to call gp's again to get their name back on the list to be tested.
    Yeah, that seems to be how it will work now, with a more stringent diagnosis. Aim is a sharper focus on likely cases.

If we are had unlimited resources and test kits I'd say we'd test everyone. Need to prioritise.

No lockdown and less testing to be carried out as they have decided to change the criteria.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems to be how it will work now, with a more stringent diagnosis. Aim is a sharper focus on likely cases.

Another scandal/inquiry in the making

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No lockdown and less testing to be carried out as they have decided to change the criteria.
    They still want to get to that 15000 but the testing criteria will be more focused.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement