Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Getting out today i think . I heard he was unwell for months leading up to getting it

Oh really, ok thanks for the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't help you with a lot of this as you've now put your fingers firmly in your ears but please stop quoting that tool. He's as bad as the WhatsApp crap. They've run low is what Henry said but big order expected starting from Sunday they said so that's sounds pretty immediate.

I advised a relative in early January to but gear now. Showed her the website to order from. Arrived in a week. When the paltry four surgical masks arrived at the GP practice she was glad of it.

Now if I could fvcking see it coming why could they now. Worse case it would have been the cheapest insurance policy in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Few questions this morning waking up to this nightmare. We are a rich country so I'm told.
    • So we should go against WHO because we don't have capacity?
    • Why do hospitals not have enough PPE. Is it because it doesn't work or we don't have enough?
    • I don't believe a word at this stage.
    • The government is holding press conference to drip drip drip info before it gets really bad here.

It's looking like there is not enough PPE for front line staff

Not interested in blame game or if you like paddy cosgrave. I'm interested in solving it immediately.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1242493950155542528?s=20

can i clear up what i know in relation to PPE.

I deal with one of the biggest PPE suppliers in the country for our business,

They have contracts with the HSE and the Defence forces also.

My discussion with my contact last week in relation the PPE we buy here, specifically masks, I had told him to ensure the health services were kept fully stocked before he came with any offer to me, we can get by without them if necessary.

He told me that the HSE and defence forces had huge stocks brought in before this hit, they are fully stocked, and more containers of PPE were on route already more than a week ago to Ireland.

Same company as of yesterday has an enormous order of masks secured to be dispatched to Ireland starting today to accompany this.

Stop panicking over the PPE, we will be ok here from what I have been reassured.

walshb wrote: »
    Has the criteria for testing changed? If so, will this mean more testing or less...

I caught a bit of it this morning, but couldn't get the full story.

There is going to be more testing, the labs are obviously at capacity. We don't have unlimited resources though so targeting who gets tested takes priority, you need to test close contacts etc before a hypochondriac with a sniffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Akrasia wrote: »
    It means more testing, but also more targeted testing where the criteria for community spread is minimum of fever and at least one other symptom.

Frontline workers will be priority so if they test negative they can return to work earlier and if positive they can continue to isolate and have contact tracing to limit further spread

The criteria was too low before and the system became overwhelmed. Someone overestimated the testing capacity or underestimated the number of hypochondriacs who demanded a test because they had a headache and a sore throat
    Might there also be cases of some GPs putting people down for it anyway, just in case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That's not true. I know for a fact it's not a symptom that needs to be present in order to qualify for testing.

That's the whole point we are discussing. Fever has to be present now under the new criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Priority! It's not fvcking Ryanair.

They are making people think it's their fault for being sick.

Why don't the own it and say sorry we don't have capacity. We are working with our private sector partners to acquire / borrow equipment and expertise to process the tests.
    • How many of these machines are in the state
    • why can't we use them to process the testing backlog
    • I get the feeling the government is too afraid to use it's power. We are too used to pussyfooting around mulitnationals.
    • Give them a tax break incentive. We are good at that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8146055/Army-seizes-testing-machines-ministers-race-carry-coronavirus-checks-NHS-staff.html

What are you on about? Every single day of every single year people are treated in healthcare on a priority basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It can't be said enough times, that guy is a prick, his bull**** was even called out during the briefing yesterday, and all over the web.

You said you don't believe anything, and yet you're reposting that asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What's the story with the kebab meat you guys have on those giant rolling pins?? Is that a part of an animal or just "re-pressed flesh"?

"Flesh" would be going a little too far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

There is going to be more testing, the labs are obviously at capacity. We don't have unlimited resources though so targeting who gets tested takes priority, you need to test close contacts etc before a hypochondriac with a sniffle.

Would you ever fk off with your hypochondriac ****e. What evidence do you have of that?

They are overstretched and have to prioritise, you are taking a leap saying hypochondriacs are clogging up the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why don't the own it and say sorry we don't have capacity. We are working with our private sector partners to acquire / borrow equipment and expertise to process the tests.
    • I get the feeling the government is too afraid to use it's power. We are too used to pussyfooting around mulitnationals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8146055/Army-seizes-testing-machines-ministers-race-carry-coronavirus-checks-NHS-staff.html

There is a reason Leo hired a PR team before anything else.

There is a reason Leo hired a PR team before anything else.

Lads, stick with Facebook and WhatsApp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Hurrache wrote: »
    It can't be said enough times, that guy is a prick, his bull**** was even called out during the briefing yesterday, and all over the web.

You said you don't believe anything, and yet you're reporting that asshole.

More than a few posters here believe nothing unless it supports their narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Following South Korea's model was only ever aspirational.

The BBC did a report on them the other night, they are blitzing areas with mobile testing labs which process results in hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Lads, stick with Facebook and WhatsApp.

If only.

Few questions this morning waking up to this nightmare. We are a rich country so I'm told.
    • Why do hospitals not have enough PPE. Is it because it doesn't work or we don't have enough?
    • The government is holding press conference to drip drip drip info before it gets really bad here.

Not interested in blame game or if you like paddy cosgrave. I'm interested in solving it immediately.

can i clear up what i know in relation to PPE.

I deal with one of the biggest PPE suppliers in the country for our business,

They have contracts with the HSE and the Defence forces also.

My discussion with my contact last week in relation the PPE we buy here, specifically masks, I had told him to ensure the health services were kept fully stocked before he came with any offer to me, we can get by without them if necessary.

He told me that the HSE and defence forces had huge stocks brought in before this hit, they are fully stocked, and more containers of PPE were on route already more than a week ago to Ireland.

Same company as of yesterday has an enormous order of masks secured to be dispatched to Ireland starting today to accompany this.

Stop panicking over the PPE, we will be ok here from what I have been reassured.

Please don't mischaracterise what I'm saying. I'm not panicking. If people who are working in wards are saying there is not enough PPE, then that is who I will listen to. If they are being suppressed from speaking out on the situation that is a disgrace.

People need to be aware of what is being asked of the front line staff.

I thought we were following the South Korean example. Funny how we are when it suits.

"The backbone of Korea’s success has been mass, indiscriminate testing"
    Well they had to because of the huge cluster around that weird church but they also have the set-up to do that. We don't have the test processing infrastructure to do this yet so priority testing makes a lot more sense, along with knocking a whole load of people off the testing list, who are not likely to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

spookwoman wrote: »
    jesus would you give over, you sound like trump.
    Here is another one from Dr Colm Henry HSE https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1241403523654397954?s=20

I never said there wasn't a shortage of PPE.

It's the claim that staff were told to keep quiet about it that I was looking for a credible source for, and you have failed to come up with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

martin101 wrote: »
    Nothing will change. My boss told us all yesterday we are classed as essential workers so asked everyone to come in. All 50 of us into the office today doing non essential admin work. All with social distancing but still we are all due in.

Same here. What I'm doing is about as non essential as it gets. Weeding old library books behind closed doors. Absolutely ridiculous that I'm travelling in to work where you have a set number of interactions a day, albeit distanced.

Surely redeployment would be better. But no, my bosses want to keep the sham of us doing essential work going as long as possible because they want to draw their normal salary, think what they are doing is important..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

It most be very hard to run conference venue business anywhere now. Gathering 50k people into a single venue is impossible - maybe 50k skype connections at the same time....

I wonder will all conference clients get a refund ? Hard times

kyote00 wrote: »
    It most be very hard to run conference venue business anywhere now. Gathering 50k people into a single venue is impossible - maybe 50k skype connections at the same time....

I wonder will all conference clients get a refund ? Hard times

He'll expect the government of whatever country his conference is in to pay up, and blame them for any lack of planning from his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Might there also be cases of some GPs putting people down for it anyway, just in case?

To get their extra €30. At least someone is getting taken care of.

"Patients who now have to re-engage with their GP (under the new test rules) who were already referred for a test. If the GP refers them again for a test, after triage under the new rules, the GP will again be paid €30 per patient." - From Fergal Bowers twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought we were following the South Korean example. Funny how we are when it suits.

To be fair we are still trying to create the infrastructure to test as much as possible. Unless there is some information that shows we just aren’t bothered or are not trying to create the capacity to test more, I’d be more lenient on judging them in this department.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Every single day of every single year people are treated in healthcare on a priority basis.

Priority ok. Triage is triage. Again I'm not saying that.
    I'll make it clear for you. Other countries running into same problems as regards processing test backlogs are sequestering the machines necessary to process said tests.

i.e our nearest and dearest neighbour. Now given the inferiority complex that we have about the neighbour next door as regards this crises. "Boris is an Idiot", "Leo is great" , " "Boris over reacting"

Why can't we do what they are doing?

i.e instead of processing less tests, fix the route cause of the problem and process the tests. We have a huge amount of Pharma and biotech companies in the state.

Is that clear?

Priority ok. Triage is triage. Again I'm not saying that.
    I'll make it clear for you. Other countries running into same problems as regards processing test backlogs are sequestering the machines necessary to process said tests.

i.e our nearest and dearest neighbour. Now given the inferiority complex that we have about the neighbour next door as regards this crises. "Boris is an Idiot", "Leo is great" , " "Boris over reacting"

Why can't we do what they are doing?

i.e instead of processing less tests, fix the route cause of the problem and process the tests. We have a huge amount of Pharma and biotech companies in the state.

Is that clear?

You do know what happened with regards to private hospitals here don't you? Or are you ignoring it as it doesn't suit your narrative to have a pop at Varadkar? Clear?

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a fvck about him. Do we have enough PPE? I'm hearing from multiple sources we do not. Address the issue. Everything isn't about who you like and who you dislike. It's a crisis and you should focus on the issues while we have time to make a difference.

I couldn't give a fvck about him. Do we have enough PPE? I'm hearing from multiple sources we do not. Address the issue. Everything isn't about who you like and who you dislike. It's a crisis and you should focus on the issues while we have time to make a difference.

Why did you post his tweet if he has a credibility issue?

What are your resources? Can you share them here?

You obviously do in a way if you're basing your points on what he said, while saying you don't believe anything else.

There's no point in addressing anything you raise as you're saying you're not going to believe it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I heard that we all need to pull together in these unprecedented times

Yep, it’s that time of day again

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297871aad81102e0ec0cd3b7e1e7f3574a2485c06e&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement

OK, that's just creepy! :eek: Am I doing it wrong? :D

It's obvious we don't have enough PPE as don't most of the world. Watching CNN last night they will have to scale testing because of it.

I said a couple of weeks ago we have companies that manufacture the stuff in Ireland, they should have been "nationalized" on the sly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My timing is off...I'm out of sync...I'm getting more anxious. :eek:

What do you do if you have a fatal pathogen and can't breath?
    Answer get a ventilator.
    What do you do if you have a fatal pathogen and can't breath and there aren't enough ventilators?
    You die.

Id says that's the aim. Hard to do if we don't have all the resources in place yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

can we please stop sharing Paddy f-ing Cosgrave
    hes a jumped up event organiser, who has looked for details of deceased people to sell to foreign media outlets, AS PER HIS OWN ADMISSION

The HSE has address the PPE issue, we have sufficient for now, and have a shipment coming this week. Anything else is conspiracy BS.

The testing changes are ahppening because a)94% of people are negative and b) we are following WHO recommendations.

If you have just one symptom, then stay the f in doors and assume you do have the disease.

If you develop a fever and a respiratory symptom then call your GP and arrange a test. The test is just a confirmation.

If you're sick in any sense, then just self isolate. You shouldn't need the test to tell you this.

This is following the WHO definition of "a fever + x"

We are still testing and are going to test in huge numbers, but just with people showing definitive symptoms.

The rest of us, STAY AT HOME and this wont spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

With the change this morning to impose strict limits on who qualifies for tests it proves that the line "we have ordered plenty of tests and there will be no problem" was a fabrication designed to prevent panic.

We already know the line we have ordered over 200 million worth of PPE was also a fabrication. They may have ordered it but so has the whole world and social media is full of Irish frontline staff pleading for more PPE.

The third leg of the don't panic stool was good supply chains are fine. No need to worry. Well now I'm worried. There hasn't been panic buying for days and yet ever supermarket or shop I call into the shelves are a lot less full than they used to be. Products are only one or two deep on the shelves. It feels like a thin illusion of stock. I fear in a few weeks when we are in the height of this crisis there will be serious shortages.

Boggles wrote: »
    It's obvious we don't have enough PPE as don't most of the world. Watching CNN last night they will have to scale testing because of it.

I said a couple of weeks ago we have companies that manufacture the stuff in Ireland, they should have been "nationalized" on the sly.

I can see several problems with this not least the problem when this settles down you have spoiled relations with those who had orders that could lead to other issues. There’s a lot that can go wrong with that. Imagine other countries who we are relying on for supplies started doing the same.

Who is Paddy Cosgrove and why are people listening to him? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Haven't seen anything from WHO revising their policy.

WHO is on first. WHAT is on second.

• Advertisement

OK, that's just creepy! :eek: Am I doing it wrong? :D

Are you breathing out when you should be in and in when you should be out? Stand on your head, then you’ll be doing it right.

;)

Drumpot wrote: »
    I can see several problems with this not least the problem when this settles down you have spoiled relations with those who had orders that could lead to other issues. There’s a lot that can go wrong with that. Imagine other countries who we are relying on for supplies started doing the same.

Germany did it.

"spoiled relations" can be fixed in the future.

touts wrote: »
    With the change this morning to impose strict limits on who qualifies for tests it proves that the line "we have ordered plenty of tests and there will be no problem" was a fabrication designed to prevent panic.

We already know the line we have ordered over 200 million worth of PPE was also a fabrication. They may have ordered it but so has the whole world and social media is full of Irish frontline staff pleading for more PPE.

The third leg of the don't panic stool was good supply chains are fine. No need to worry. Well now I'm worried. There hasn't been panic buying for days and yet ever supermarket or shop I call into the shelves are a lot less full than they used to be. Products are only one or two deep on the shelves. It feels like a thin illusion of stock. I fear in a few weeks when we are in the height of this crisis there will be serious shortages.
    There's a deep breath shape thingy a few posts up. Try it!:)

Boggles wrote: »
    Germany did it.

"spoiled relations" can be fixed in the future.

One example doesn’t automatically make this a good idea.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    can we please stop sharing Paddy f-ing Cosgrave
    hes a jumped up event organiser, who has looked for details of deceased people to sell to foreign media outlets, AS PER HIS OWN ADMISSION

The HSE has address the PPE issue, we have sufficient for now, and have a shipment coming this week. Anything else is conspiracy BS.

The testing changes are ahppening because a)94% of people are negative and b) we are following WHO recommendations.

If you have just one symptom, then stay the f in doors and assume you do have the disease.

If you develop a fever and a respiratory symptom then call your GP and arrange a test. The test is just a confirmation.

If you're sick in any sense, then just self isolate. You shouldn't need the test to tell you this.

This is following the WHO definition of "a fever + x"

We are still testing and are going to test in huge numbers, but just with people showing definitive symptoms.

The rest of us, STAY AT HOME and this wont spread

Thanks for the post. Please see the highlighted section of mine. I've addressed your concerns.

Do you know that there is enough PPE for our frontline staff. Stick to the issue. I think we can all agree Paddy is a prick. Don't know him personally. He is raising a valid point.

What do you think about Conor mcgregor? Bet you don't like him either.

Tyson fury?

Wait who is allowed share information about this crisis.

touts wrote: »

As it spreads more, and with the ratio of those tested resulting in being positive over negative, it's entirely logical to concentrate on those with more than one symptom over someone with one.

Getting tested or not is going to make no difference to most people, even if they have it.

Answer get a ventilator.
    What do you do if you have a fatal pathogen and can't breath and there aren't enough ventilators?
    You die.

Well, I’m sure any Blue Peter badge holder could rustle one up with a cereal box and double sided sticky tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Answer get a ventilator.
    You die.

I just can't understand why you haven't been headhunted to run this whole thing. Surely a genius such as yourself would have the whole thing sorted in weeks. The HSE clearly needs someone that can type in bold and increased font size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Apologies if already posted, but I thought this was picture was just incredibly sad and a reminder of what's behind the daily numbers we see coming out of Italy. It's a man attending his mother's funeral in Italy.

f6ha6rwffqo41.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Same here. What I'm doing is about as non essential as it gets. Weeding old library books behind closed doors. Absolutely ridiculous that I'm travelling in to work where you have a set number of interactions a day, albeit distanced.

Surely redeployment would be better. But no, my bosses want to keep the sham of us doing essential work going as long as possible because they want to draw their normal salary, think what they are doing is important..

In the current climate ye should be grateful ye still have jobs to go to.there is people at home with nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement