Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

1192193194195196198»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

dublin99 wrote: »
    I just saw a pop up ad :
    Disposable surgical face masks available at The Mobility Shop at 3.69 Euro.
    I thought that was for 10, but no it was for ONE.
    Is that price gouging? Or has supplier put up price 10 or 20 fold?
    I bought my last box of 50 3M splash resistant masks from Boots at 9.99 Euro (or 20 cents each) at the end of January.
    I paid 2 euro per one in my local pharmacy the other day. took 5 for tenner.
    shocking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just a quick one.,
    I was thinking would your green and black bins be a hot spot for catching the virus ?
    The bin men who collect them must touch hundreds of bin handles on there rounds then you go out and bring it in by the handle ,
    Just something people might have looked past ,

We were asked by our bin collection company to disinfect the bin handles when we put them out for collection last week. I put my out the evening before and did just that. I presume everyone else on the route did similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Allinall wrote: »
    Where did he get the supplies, that our government couldn't?
    We have a huge order coming from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You assume there is magical immunity coming.

No scientist can say that once someone has had it they are immune.

They warning against this talk actually.

There's something like 75,000 recovered in China - recovered means released back into the community. No evidence they have reinfected anyone. They are ok for this years strain.
    Next winters one might be a different story.

But so far, yes, recovered means immune for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Allinall wrote: »
    Where did he get the supplies, that our government couldn't?
    How the bejesus do I know? CNN are reporting it. Good thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

paul71 wrote: »
    And I did not make 100,000 dimwits go to the pub on Friday, but if they get ill we still have a responsiblity to them.
    You cannot dump 20,000 citizens in another country that is clearly overwhelmed by a health crisis just so we can massage the figures on a spreadsheet.

Its not really massaging figures so much as trying to prevent the spread of the virus, the very virus that is causing health services to be overwhelmed. Ideally we shouldnt want our health service overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Lavinia wrote: »
    I paid 2 euro per one in my local pharmacy the other day. took 5 for tenner.
    shocking price.

I got 2 for a 5r yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

I think they are seeing or realising the same here.

As a former HCA, I got an email from my regional hospital (sent in CV a year ago!) this morning, offering a 3 month contract due to the crisis, respond ASAP for immediate interview

Will not be doing it as both I and my 60 yr old mother who lives with me have asthma.

And at the HSE press conference yesterday evening, they refused to give out stats on how many health care workers have been infected.

Whereas in the UK they ARE publishing those stats - which has probably led to over half a million volunteering for the "NHS Volunteers" service in little over 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There's something like 75,000 recovered..China

Sorry, but I stopped reading there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Antares35 wrote: »
    Truly sick of this sh*teology now. Is there any end in sight? :mad:

Relax and enjoy your time at home.
    The world will still be here.

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Do you think the figure is lower or higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

France recorded 231 deaths today but this is a little disconcerting. I wonder why deaths outside hospital are not being counted.

This article can shed some light on France's reporting.

• Hospital deaths are reported via a system called SI-VIC
    • Other deaths are reported via another system called CépiDC
    • Nursing home (Ehpad) deaths are not yet counted. A system to report them is currently being worked on.
    Source: French TV

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-comment-sont-comptabilisees-les-victimes-du-covid-19-en-france-1882426.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And at the HSE press conference yesterday evening, they refused to give out stats on how many health care workers have been infected.

No they didn't.

They were asked how many health care workers were in self isolation but not infected, they didn't have the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Interesting but totally off topic, unless they plan to come to London to help with the pandemic :)

I'd say they're massing off the US , so they'll be ready to 'help' comrade Trump when he asks .
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

There's something like 75,000 recovered in China - recovered means released back into the community. No evidence they have reinfected anyone. They are ok for this years strain.

That isn't the strategy of western countries though. We are merely flattening the curve, which means we are accepting the infection rates continue but not as high as before.

I wonder can some of the death rate of Covid v Flu be explained by the fact that the old and sick would generally get the flu vaccine. Its not that Corona is massively more deadly in itself but that nobody has any immunity. So the vulnerable just cant protect themselves from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Every Nation could be overwhelmed ,
    no doubt the government are doing something to combat this as we speak ,

People losing there **** over change of strategy on testing need to relax ,we are doing ok on the testing front , There was always going to be back logs with the amount of people turning up for tests ,
    Again its more of a problem caused by the People not the government ,

Can't blame the government for everything

Its the us people who will either save us or cause devastation with this,

We're not doing ok on the testing front.

For the entire month of february there was about 100 tests done in the entire country. When we look back on all this that is going to seem mental.

When we finally started taking the virus seriously and ramped up testing to something approaching an acceptable level for the time, we neglected to update our testing criteria to include countries like Spain, USA, France and Germany.

The gov made some positive sounding noises about testing every suspected case, but has since rolled back on it.
    Now we're at the point where we all know that there are many people with covid out there who want a test and should get one, but we don't have the capacity. And accordingly we can't perform contact tracing on them either.

A first class testing regime in conjunction with contact tracing is absolutely vital to managing and eventually getting us out of this crisis.

We're miles behind where we need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Antares35 wrote: »
    Truly sick of this sh*teology now. Is there any end in sight? :mad:

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

You've been doubting the Chinese figures all through this event, with no real reason except "commies, innit".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Can we really believe anything the Chinese tell us regarding this virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Relax and enjoy your time at home.
    The world will still be here.

Stay safe.

Hard to relax with the constant media hard on over how bad things are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Whereas in the UK they ARE publishing those stats - which has probably led to over half a million volunteering for the "NHS Volunteers" service in little over 24 hours.

The one thing is tho I'd like to see a breakdown on what they have volunteered for job wise

Doctors, nurses and HCAs in particular have an awful amount of physical contact with patients. Hospital standard HCAs need the equivalent of 1 years classroom teaching, Porters a little more as they now have serious responsibilities over years ago

Im wondering what will happen tho, they will need to drop a serious amount of regulations and safety regs to bring in unqualified volunteers for HCA positions

At the end of the day volunteer admins and even cleaners is great but I'd wager it's the docs, nurses, HCAs and porter that will be the bulk coming down with it

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

the total cases per 1m pop , and total deaths per million ( the two columns on the right - click on them to sort them) bring up some
    interesting stats.

San Marino and the Vatican are obviously skewed because of their tiny populations, but it's interesting that places like Iceland and Luxembourg are really high in the list. Not to mention Switzerland, which seems to be getting blasted by Corona right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

You assume there is magical immunity coming.

No scientist can say that once someone has had it they are immune.

They warning against this talk actually.

if theres no immunity to it, then why all the talk a vaccine

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I say high, you say low
    You say why and I say I don't know
    Oh, no
    You say goodbye...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement