Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

moeblogs wrote: »
    Cars lining either side of the R676 Leamybrien - Carrick on Suir road at Kilclooney Woods as huge crowds flock to Coumshingaun. Gardai are now at the scene to deal with traffic issues..

https://www.facebook.com/TheMunsterExpress/videos/599661230891613/

Passed this today. A wood near Watergrasshill in Cork. If you told people to do it they wouldnt.

20200322_132545_17.jpg

Ive never seen cars up the road that far before, theres more cars around the bend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Your not factoring in the MASSIVE difference of population though. Even for Italians, it is very unlikely any particular individual will get Covid-19.

Look at China, 80k have gotten it out of 1 billion. That is not very many in the grand scale of things and of those 80k, only a small percent have died. Whilst the numbers are slightly higher in Italy even when total population are considered, its not really that bad. And it wont get nearly as bad here.

Those numbers mean a lot to their families and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

20 new cases in NI - RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

As a complete aside, would anyone happen to know which Boards thread had recorded the most posts before Corona Virus?

The only threads I can think of are:

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

September 11th was prior to smartphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You dont seem to realise that the word commandeer has more than one meaning and is not just a militaristic take over of a facility; commandeer also means that you are enlisting someones help in a task. And thats all the govt. will be doing in renting out hotels with the hotels being paid for it. Maybe you should consult your dictionary in future before going off on rants about authoritarianism?

From Cabridge dictionary:

commandeer

verb [ T ]
    uk

"to take possession of or control private property by force or for military use"

What dictionary are you using. Urban dictionary doesn't count by the way :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Cars lining either side of the R676 Leamybrien - Carrick on Suir road at Kilclooney Woods as huge crowds flock to Coumshingaun. Gardai are now at the scene to deal with traffic issues..

What's happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Seamai wrote: »
    I don't think it's silly at all, I made a similar point here yesterday.

Perhaps residents of countries with higher levels of pollution are more prone to the very bad effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd imagine hospital stats in the early stages can be misleading as initially hospitals will take in a lot of confirmed cases regardless of how severe the infection is or age so that the medical staff can see first hand symptoms and go through the treatments etc.

Over time the numbers start to give a better indication of the age profile of patients that are seriously ill with the virus

Good point. There was a doctor posting here last week psudo something , can’t remember the name.

Would be interesting to see what he thinks as he was quite informative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Your not factoring in the MASSIVE difference of population though. Even for Italians, it is very unlikely any particular individual will get Covid-19.

Look at China, 80k have gotten it out of 1 billion. That is not very many in the grand scale of things and of those 80k, only a small percent have died. Whilst the numbers are slightly higher in Italy even when total population are considered, its not really that bad. And it wont get nearly as bad here.

It's going to be interesting watching you move quickly through several stages of grief over the next week or two.

I hope you stick around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Passed this today. A wood near Watergrasshill in Cork. If you told people to do it they wouldnt.

20200322_132545_17.jpg

Ive never seen cars up the road that far before, theres more cars around the bend

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Only 80k got it because they locked parts of the country down. Tens of millions of people were in that lockdown.
    Hospitals aren't equipped to handle thousands of cases of any highly contagious disease coming in at once. There just isn't enough space, staff or equipment. There is no vaccine or cure. The number needs to be kept low or else hospitals cannot cope.

Look at Italy. They don't have enough ventilators so they can't treat everyone. Some are left to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I could be wrong but did he not decide to move that online and receive great response for doing so? Maybe I’m mixing him up with a different conference that was due to take place in the convention centre in February

Web summit was a few years ago in the rds, now in Lisbon I think. Not sure about one in February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because he wanted the Irish government to invest huge amounts of money into his web summit which happens once a year and when they said no because it was a private event, he threw his toys out of the pram and upped and left. Ever since then all he's done is criticise

He's Bono with a laptop. The prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Had been think of heading there today but was feeling a bit lazy and opted for the cliff walk in Ardmore instead.
    The one thing about that walk up to Coumshingaun is that once you get over the first bit in the woods social distancing shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    As a complete aside, would anyone happen to know which Boards thread had recorded the most posts before Corona Virus?

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

The Brexit thread was well up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

For all the bedwetters and doom mongers...

‘Speaking earlier on RTÉ's This Week, Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health Dr Tony Holohan said there are "encouraging signs" that measures introduced to slow the spread of Covid-19 could be working’

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0322/1124644-coronavirus-tracker-updates/
    Thanks to those helping to stem the spread. Good job folks.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Thanks to those helping to stem the spread. Good job folks.

If things seem to be going in the right direction we need to double down not take our foot off the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

YOU are constantly post nonsense in the covid19 threads.

Did it occur to you that other countries, including Italy who have top of the range healthcare systems, better than ours, have been brought to their knees ?

7500 ventilators in Italy and still not enough. Triaging the people with health problems to die on morphine, so those with a chance of surviving being intubated can try and live. Even still the damage done to those who have to be intubated, means their lives will be short anyway.

Grand scale, my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

There's a pub local to me (rural) that's currently open letting the alcoholics in via the back door?

Should I call the Guards and report it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

Neighbour of mine returned from Cheltenham and was told by his company to self isolate.out with his children all the time mixing with other children on the street and trying to engage with people walking up and down.my husband said it to him as we are self isolating but he basically dismissed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

Andrew00 wrote: »
    There's a pub local to me (rural) that's currently open letting the alcoholics in via the back door?

Absolutely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

30% of patients testing positive in Korea, including many who would otherwise be asymptomatic (no fever or cough), are reporting that they have lost taste and smell. It could be an important indication that someone is infected.

""We have also identified a new symptom (loss of sense of smell and taste) that may mean that people without other symptoms but with just the loss of this sense may have to self-isolate - again to reduce the spread of the virus."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-experts-say-new-symptoms-could-be-loss-taste-or-smell-11961439

https://twitter.com/ENT_UK/status/1241063677186449408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

The current Gangland thread is on almost 5 million views so would be well up there, even beyond all of those Id imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Yes

Yes also name and shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

I read one of the mods a while back saying the Man Utd & Liverpool threads in the soccer forum had the highest rates of posts on the site, prior to the shutdown of football obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

This seems to be the 9/11 thread in After Hours. Only 9 pages, probably not many boards users at the time.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Shn99 wrote: »
    20 new cases in NI - RTE

Irrelevant totally irrelevant there are not testing lii I ads if he’s staff self isolating without getting tested as they can’t get a test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What are you waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-open-coronavirus-simon-harris-drink-5053904-Mar2020/

Pubs supposedly still not adhering to guidelines! This is why there will be a lock down earlier than needed imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sandz066

Went to Aldi this morning to get some groceries.

I was in the queue 2 metres behind the man before me (as marked on the floor).
    This oul biddy aggressively goes to me ARE YOU IN THE QUEUE!?

I said yes, just keeping my distance.

WELL IF YOU WANT DISTANCE GO OUTSIDE!! she says to me.. Still plenty of ignorant people out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Panrich wrote: »
    What's happening there?

People ignoring social distancing.

Bit like shopping at the same time, like nothing is happening.

The pandemic is just a big inconvenience.

So, I had to drop some supplies down to the father in law this afternoon. Decided I’d have a quick drive around the Phoenix park since it’s a nice day out an all.

The place was packed! Looked like people were struggling to find parking. Lots of people walking, jogging, cycling, picnics, sports etc.

On the radio it mentioned there was queues to get to the hellfire club. Roads were busy.
    I imagine every hotspot was packed today.

People walking carrying flowers that I assume are for dropping into their mothers.

Seriously though, absolutely way too many people out in terms of stopping the spread of a virus.

I reckon a full lockdown is the only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just wondering if members of the travelling community will be at a higher risk of getting infected due to their lower life expectancy and many living in small spaces in close proximity to each other. It's a genuine question and it may have been answered already so I don't want to turn into an US versus THEM response. I've been thinking about it for the last few days and hadn't seen anything mentioned about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

trisha e wrote: »
    Neighbour of mine returned from Cheltenham and was told by his company to self isolate.out with his children all the time mixing with other children on the street and trying to engage with people walking up and down.my husband said it to him as we are self isolating but he basically dismissed him

See if he was enough of a selfish prick to go to Cheltenham knowing full well the risks then you shouldn't be in the least bit surprised that he is still acting like a selfish prick now. These wankpuffins don't give a flying **** about anyone only themselves in many cases not even their own family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Do you believe the numbers coming out of China ? Oh, to be that innocent again.
    They tried cover up the outbreak.
    Lying to the WHO about human-to-human transmission after they knew it was happening. And didn't they threaten doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeh see, this is not correct implementation

4G9P6b6.gif

Sandz066 wrote: »

WELL IF YOU WANT DISTANCE GO OUTSIDE!! she says to me.. Still plenty of ignorant people out there

I would have screamed at her get back C*** no time to be nice to these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I discrete phone call to his boss letting him know he has an asshole of an employee might work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

So, I had to drop some supplies down to the father in law this afternoon. Decided I’d have a quick drive around the Phoenix park since it’s a nice day out an all.

The place was packed! Looked like people were struggling to find parking. Lots of people walking, jogging, cycling, picnics, sports etc.

On the radio it mentioned there was queues to get to the hellfire club. Roads were busy.

People walking carrying flowers that I assume are for dropping into their mothers.

Seriously though, absolutely way too many people out in terms of stopping the spread of a virus.

No, no, the government are doing a brilliant job, they have all this under control. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If social distancing is being observed what's the problem. The government has not banned us from going out unless your showing symptoms or are a high risk group or a confirmed case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Absolutely

Get the Gardai to breathaysle the alcos coming out and take away their driving licences. Might help them self isolate.

gazzer wrote: »
    Just wondering if members of the travelling community will be at a higher risk of getting infected due to their lower life expectancy and many living in small spaces in close proximity to each other. It's a genuine question and it may have been answered already so I don't want to turn into an US versus THEM response. I've been thinking about it for the last few days and hadn't seen anything mentioned about it.

We are not allowed to comment on their behaviour on boards so I really don't care about them to be honest and those that say they do are just lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

statesaver wrote: »
    Do you believe the numbers coming out of China ? Oh, to be that innocent again

Chinas numbers are absolute BS, don't even bother to factor them into to the overall number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Operation Lima goes into effect
    Minister for Foreign Affairs, Simon Coveney, has said that there is an agreement between Aer Lingus and British Airways to send a charter flight to Lima in Peru in the coming days to bring Irish citizens stranded there home.

He said to charter this British Airways flight will cost around €300,000, but he understands that in this situation, that around 70% of that can be claimed back from the EU.

Mr Coveney said plans now need to be made to ensure that Irish citizens who are in Peru make their way to the capital Lima, where they can take this charter flight.

He said around 60 or 70 of the 135 Irish citizens in Peru are mostly backpackers and are in different parts of the country, outside the capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The bedwetters seems to be this weeks version of posting with your lad in your hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sandz066 wrote: »

You should have just said well if you want to be 6 feet under stay nice and close to me...cough cough

At least Aldi have the spacing now at check out but they need to start implementing maximum people in the shop and spaced out queues like supervalu seem to be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I would have screamed at her get back C*** no time to be nice to these people.

Given the seriousness of the situation it's perfectly acceptable to use the C word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shocked by the crowds today in dun laoghaire. People queuing for coffee and ice cream and groups of people both young and old.

We've got to lock this mother****a down pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

All the usual holiday spots are absolutely rammed around the country like its a Summer's bank holiday weekend. Forecast is decent for the week ahead too which will only encourage people to get in the car and go for a drive or a stroll. And the vast majority are heading to the same popular spots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement