Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Is it slowly getting to the point where we can start to say Ireland is going to be OK. Look at the growth pattern over the past week and looking at the ICU figures it looks like we will cope with this and hopefully will end up with a death rate similar to the seasonal flu.

It's being like a week or so - we are only at the beginning of this - we'll probably have 1000+ new cases by Sunday.

These posts really make me think that people just don't get how serious this is - like it' not going away this virus,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

xtal191 wrote: »

The general public in the UK are only starting to realise how serious it is. Over the last couple of weeks English friends have been posting social gatherings on Instagram without a care in the world, meanwhile in Ireland we’ve been limited our movements and preparing.

Johnson’s flip-flop from herd immunity to social isolation has been criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Can you refuse to go to work in a non essential job?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a shortage all over the world.

Every country is trying to get them.

Were not unique.

Only so much can be produced in a time of worldwide universal crisis.

There will be a shortage of every essential item soon.
    Particularly as the US situation worsens

However businesses are turning their skills to producing these items and I am hopeful lessons on what is needed have been learned and indeed addressed. A couple of weeks of China getting it's industries back up and running may actually deliver benefits around the world they could not take advantage of themselves

There will be some irony if the USA end up importing a lot of equipment and PPE from China while Trump claims US products are far superior to anyone else's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Do you still want to get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

They have ~37000 infected and have had around 30 deaths per day for the last 2 days.

37k active infections that we know of, it may be revised upwards in time. That's what the Oxford University Infectious Diseases Lab report was saying (which one poster on this thread characterised as 'BS' - well that settles that)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

xtal191 wrote: »

Woah. You don't prepare something like that unless you are fairly sure you are going to need it.

London is epicenter of UK outbreak.

A lot of posters here are clearly politically motivated. Obviously hate the government..so I'd suggest a lot should be ignored. A lot of good and bad work done in the last 10 years to turn around the country.but not concentrating on certain issues cost them dearly. But im struggling to see many faults the last 3-4 weeks. What were people expecting. That we would sail through a pandemic.

What's happen in last 10 years is irrelevant, however I would also say what happens in the next 6 months should also be somewhat irrelevant when looking at the government - regardless of whose in power.

This issue is bigger than a government - this needs society to work as one - we are all in this together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

If you don't need the job then fire away - sure someone else might take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

3 ways to make a living. Be first, be smarter or cheat. Helluva lot easier to be first.....That's the failing.

There was clearly a chance of a global pandemic. Orders should have been in at the point.

Maybe we should take your Netflix philosophy and move to number 3 so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

givyjoe wrote: »
    For Christ sake, how is that scaremongering?

Because, as the guy who you quoted said, deaths dropped today. If this continues then the exponential growth is over ( the growth in cases in Italy is slackening off already). Extrapolating to the future to 1000+ deaths is therefore innumerate.

The virus could have infected millions by end April, it doesn't look like that will happen now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Buy now and hold for a minimum of 5 years. Impossible to time the market or catch a falling knife. Ie buy at the bottom. Also sell at the top is impossible. The global economy will recover. Might be 6 months might be a year . Maybe more. Also prices may fall further.
    Google the Dow Jones industrial average and set the range to max. You can see the dot com bubble and the 2008 crisis in the graph. The market recovered and chugged on. Buy opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What a legend. I know there is some harsh back and forth on here but there is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FVP3 wrote: »
    Because, as the guy who you quoted said, deaths dropped today.

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Is it slowly getting to the point where we can start to say Ireland is going to be OK. Look at the growth pattern over the past week and looking at the ICU figures it looks like we will cope with this and hopefully will end up with a death rate similar to the seasonal flu.

I think it is too early to judge, we are are behind other countries in terms of the timeline when we go our first case. Hopefully things are going to continue with manageable numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

Ace2007 wrote: »
    A Chinese takeaway in Cabra donated 5,000 masks to the HSE - and are giving out masks to customers - mind boggling how some people are getting their hands on this stuff -

I would expect that a Chinese takeaway would have Chinese staff with Chinese realatives who would have been watching this situation since mid january ... ordering an extra box of masks each week for your staff would be prudent ... donating them now they need to close is awesome ... they could have sold them On Moore street or pigs back for ridiculous prices -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Maybe we should take your Netflix philosophy and move to number 3 so?

haha, did you watch the video?

And I don't cheat. My dear boy. Point is if you are first you don't need to cheat.
    Like Germany. Freedom of goods and people (when it suits them). That's cheating.

Now we have to be smart. That's much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

growleaves wrote: »
    You're only showing your ignorance here.

What normally happens with ICU facilities? All the ICU facilities in the world always would be full and overwhelmed all of the time if every elderly and/or very infirm person was put on a ventilator.

so let me get this straight.

you think ICUs are overwhelmed because trained medical professionals are mistakenly putting loads of people on ventilators that don't actually need them because they are panicking?

and you also think the death rates around the world are completely normal?

you actually believe both of those things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I really wish the ignore button on here completely removed the post and all references to it - would make the thread so much nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A boarding school in Co. Meath is closing for good as a consequence of the virus. it was in financial trouble for a while, but this helped bring about its end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

froog wrote: »
    this guy and other crackpot linked here recently sound very intelligent but still have no good explanation for health services/ICU beds becoming completely overwhelmed in italy, spain, china, new york etc. the first guy didnt even address it. this guy vaguely mentions air quality at one point.

if this was business as usual, there would be zero issues with ventilators, ICU beds etc.

it's pretty amazing how people so educated can be so dumb.

They are profoundly more qualified on the topic than you or me so calling them dumb makes you very ignorant.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Buy now and hold for a minimum of 5 years. Impossible to time the market or catch a falling knife. Ie buy at the bottom. Also sell at the top is impossible. The global economy will recover. Might be 6 months might be a year . Maybe more. Also prices may fall further.
    Google the Dow Jones industrial average and set the range to max. You can see the dot com bubble and the 2008 crisis in the graph. The market recovered and chugged on. Buy opportunity

There is a buy opportunity - just need to know when to buy in, personality I don't think we've hit the bottom yet, but that's just an opinion.

Big investors who may have swap contracts, need cash and hence are selling anything they can - whatever is liquid is going - but those markets are tightening up even.

Spreads are increasing to levels never seen before

So for all those reasons I think the market will drop further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Because, as the guy who you quoted said, deaths dropped today. If this continues then the exponential growth is over ( the growth in cases in Italy is slackening off already). Extrapolating to the future to 1000+ deaths is therefore innumerate.

The virus could have infected millions by end April, it doesn't look like that will happen now.

They did NOT drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

New Home wrote: »
    ...and if you're good Santa will bring you presents...

I agree with "hope".

the problem is that lots of people, not just you, dont understand the nature of exponential growth or when it stops.

A few weeks ago at a family gathering I told my family that millions could die worldwide ( and in two months) and they laughed. They are now panicking just as the exponential nature of the growth declines in most countries.

Which doesn't mean cases wont increase for a while, but the rate of growth has dropped.

Of course getting back to normal is a whole other problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

branie2 wrote: »
    A boarding school in Co. Meath is closing for good as a consequence of the virus. it was in financial trouble for a while, but this helped bring about its end.

Why were they even still open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The virus possibly has infected millions...it just isn't very serious for 80% of them and most of them don't even know they've had it. The problem is everyone getting it at the same time puts stress of health systems and people who otherwise wouldn't have will die due to lack of care.

I think this new antibody test which is supposedly going to be available soon could be really crucial. It might turn out that a lot more people have had Covid 19 than previously thought which might shape future policy regarding restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The virus possibly has infected millions...it just isn't very serious for 80% of them and most of them don't even know they've had it. The problem is everyone getting it at the same time puts stress of health systems and people who otherwise wouldn't have will die due to lack of care.

I think this new antibody test which is supposedly going to be available soon could be really crucial. It might turn out that a lot more people have had Covid 19 than previously thought which might shape future policy regarding restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why were they even still open?

An old part of private education, I'd imagine

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

XI beckons - not sure if that's indicative of something akin to Spinal Tap or the General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party....

...expect a new thread sometime tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

rob316 wrote: »
    They are profoundly more qualified on the topic than you or me so calling them dumb makes you very ignorant.

you agree with him that it's business as usual around the world? normal death rates, normal ICU admissions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement