Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    But the vast majority of people haven't been doing this. It's the same when we have a bad storm we always get excited about the 10 people out of 5 million who go for a swim. Its focusing on the negative.

Apples and Oranges. It's not the same. Those 10 mad swimmers are endangering themselves and (unnecessarily) endangering the lives of the rescue crews who have to attend to them. Minuscule figures compared to the current situation. We have every reason to get excited about the foolish amongst us who take unnecessary risks, which affect the lives of hundreds, then thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

STB. wrote: »
    Cuckoo land. That's where you are.

Well done, so just ignore facts that are put to you and come back with an insult and now verifiable evidence of what you are claimimg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New cases in China increase, all from abroad

Mainland China reported an increase in new confirmed coronavirus cases, all of which involved travellers arriving from abroad, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.

The commission said in a statement that a total of 67 new cases were reported as of end-Wednesday, up from 47 a day earlier, putting the total accumulated number of confirmed coronavirus cases to date at 81,285.

The commission also reported a total of 3,287 deaths at the end of Wednesday, up 6 from the previous day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-live-news-update-world-lockdown-global-deaths-india-uk-us-australia-china-latest-updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Amazing anecdote.

The reason our infection numbers are not exponential, is because the testing regime has broken down.

If you have a limited number of kits, you cannot test people. Those infected become invisible and are therefore not reflected in the numbers.

Say for example you have 40,000 displaying symptoms (seems like a realistic number doesn't it). If you test none of that 40k at all, what will your rise in positive cases be tomorrow. Will it be zero ?

What will it be in two weeks later given you have taken no action to test and isolate these people.

We will see the people who present in a jocker in ICU, because they cannot breathe. But what about those that went back to work or spread it on to others ?

Community transmission is 49% of the positive tests. Another 25% are healthcare workers.

Not enough testing kits, not enough PPE gear.

That some mess and we are at a starting point.

Testing everyone with one symptoms proved a waste of resources given the number of cases they found, it was in and around 6%. So safe to say of the 40,000 waiting for tests, 2,400 were positive but they dont no who, because everyone with a common cold rang the GP up and despite being enroute to one of the highest test rates per capita it was still taking 5-10 days to find the positives and get the contact tracing which is the key to the whole thing.

Community transmission are down from 20 per person to 6 and will improve further.

Remember the 40,000 with symptoms have been told all along to isolate for 2 week regardless of getting their test of not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Are we an island of hypochondriacs? I think it's more just people having the fear they genuinely might have it, due to so much publicised about it being deceptively mild or even asymptomatic. They have to narrow it down, and research is taking place as we speak, to help do this.

Of course, I will admit I am one of them now as I am in the global sweet spot for age and underlying medical conditions :) Runny poo on Sunday....Covid 19, Son puked on Monday...Covid 19, I coughed on a conference call...covid 19

However I know not to clog up the health system because I am a rashional human. My wife given the choice would call the GP 8 times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

The Op has a habit of stirring the sh*t. Check the history of his posts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Links?

Isn't our testing numbers above most per capital? (Baring places that were but much earlier obviously).

Links to what Christy ? I'm sure you can use a search engine.

That's not the way it works.

WHO's advice is TEST TEST TEST. Isolate. Now do it again. You have to have testing kits though.

40000 people at the community testing phase. Now abandoned despite showing symptoms. Why ? Ah sure we'll be ramping everything up when some of the medical gear arrives from China on Friday.
    lbj666 wrote: »
    Testing everyone with one symptoms proved a waste of resources given the number of cases they found, it was in and around 6%. So safe to say of the 40,000 waiting for tests, 2,400 were positive but they don't no who, because everyone with a common cold rang the GP up and despite being enroute to one of the highest test rates per capita it was still taking 5-10 days to find the positives and get the contact tracing which is the key to the whole thing.

Community transmission are down from 20 per person to 6 and will improve further.

Remember the 40,000 with symptoms have been told all along to isolate for 2 week regardless of getting their test of not.

Community transmission accounts for 49% of positives. It has went UP.

The 6% figure and that data is made up from the first round of tests when it wasn't at community level.

You cannot guess that based upon previous tests, when you asked people were they in Italy whether that will foloow through a few weeks later when it has spread to communities, and you are doing community testing, where you ask people to only contact their doctor if they fit certain criteria, and then abandon it.

You can't say they are all "hypochondriacs" and "wasters", so we will test no one who was referred by a GP. The end game is to stop and/or delay the spread of a highly contagious virus so that our hospitals do not become overwhelmed, like in other countries who have better facilities than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Too late. 247 infected Healthcare staff later.

They claim they didn't order enough in February.

The HSE Director of Communications responded when a plea from St James Hospital was retweeted by Today FM.

Earlier this week several twitter accounts from other front line workers seeking PPE over Twitter were apparently temporarily frozen.

507051.jpg

Cuckoo land. That's where you are.

I've always wondered what would happen if health care called Management's bluff for once, on it being a vocation and mass strikes at the worst time, thousands of deaths and remind the clowns with pass maths and business degrees who is actually important.

But of course noone is that callous, in other industries it would happen immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

fin12 wrote: »
    Just give the Gardaí powers to physically tackle underage youths. Payback time for their anti-authority bulsh1t with teachers, Gardaí and other adults. If they are feeling violent, embrace it I say. Regrettable but oh well. Let them out to face the business end of the State. Grow them up, from the outside ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Always a spin on it - other countries now infecting them, hello Chinese people returning home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be pointed out that nearly every country in Europe is reporting PPE shortages. The speed the virus has taken hold has been stunning. On March 2nd, there had been one death in Spain : today the number is 3600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Do you think the HSE tried but couldn’t get it on time? Or was it just left too late ?

The job of government is to plan for unforeseen events. That's why we have an army. Why else would we need a gang of men with guns? Sometimes bad **** happens. This is of course unlikely but possible.

Same way with a pandemic. Unlikely but you sure as **** better provision for it or it will ruin your country.

The government was aware of this eventuality given the situation in China. Maybe they didn't act as quickly as they should of. I'm basing that on the fact that we can't test all the samples and front line staff had to appeal for PPE.

That's a low point in the history of this state as far as I'm concerned.

Famine exports and howth gun running echoes in the mind.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Links?

Isn't our testing numbers above most per capital? (Baring places that were but much earlier obviously).

You can't count a test if you haven't processed. Otherwise its counted as a zero test. i.e what's the ****ing point of sticking something down your throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The job of government is to plan for unforeseen events. That's why we have an army. Why else would we need a gang of men with guns? Sometimes bad **** happens. This is of course unlikely but possible.

Same way with a pandemic. Unlikely but you sure as **** better provision for it or it will ruin your country.

Yeah lots stock up on equipment and gear for a once in a century event - you really are a piece of work
    You should run for Taoiseach - you obviously know better than every country and have far superior fortune telling skills than all the top medical staff in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

I dont think we will need a full lockdown.

Our problem will be how to manage opening up the economy again and assessing the disaster fallout from the UK.

I would argue for a complete isolation of all 60+ people managed by a dedicated force of volunteers etc.
    Alongside this a sophisticated contact tracing infrastructure matched with immediate testing.
    If we can get testing down to hours rather then days we will have this thing on the run.

Quicker testing will allow us to open the economy some more.

My only concern is the Uk. They've no proper surveillance of the disease spread.

The major concern is the US. If they dont get there act together the recession could become a depression. trump should be removed via 25th amendment, Hes a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Strazdas wrote: »
    It should be pointed out that nearly every country in Europe is reporting PPE shortages. The speed the virus has taken hold has been stunning. On March 2nd, there had been one death in Spain : today the number is 3600
    I hear politicians in Ireland say we've ordered X amount of PPE, ventilaters,tests etc. So has every other country. We're getting ****

The government was aware of this eventuality given the situation in China. Maybe they didn't act as quickly as they should of. I'm basing that on the fact that we can't test all the samples and front line staff had to appeal for PPE.

Are you for real? A low point in the history of the state? Never mind the IRA, or clerical child abuse, Magdalene Laundries, banking crisis, could go on and on.

And you're calling the delivery of equipment and a testing system not being able to cope with over-demand (which is what it has been) as low point. Please get a grip.

Europe only took notice of this virus in February. 1st case in Ireland on Feb 29th.

PPE is on it's way.

Do you not see the whole of Europe has acted the same way?

Ireland has 9 deaths. Look at numbers in UK or Netherlands.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yeah lots stock up on equipment and gear for a once in a century event - you really are a piece of work
    You should run for Taoiseach - you obviously know better than every country and have far superior fortune telling skills than all the top medical staff in the world

I'm sure he complained about the iodine tablets that were given out as prep for a terrorist attack years ago as a waste of government resources.

Ye should aslo realsie that China did no work for two months.

Vast majority of the PPE etc is made there. if not the constituent parts.

They only in the last 3 weeks began to get the supply chain moving. So PPE will come.
    By this time next week i expect all the calls for PPE in Europe to quieten down as orders start to arrive.

Again the problem is the US and Trump. Hes dithering on getting manufacturers in the US to ramp up production.
    This means the states are competing with each other for orders from China.

Another reason that orange bollox needs to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

cjmc wrote: »
    I hear politicians in Ireland say we've ordered X amount of PPE, ventilaters,tests etc. So has every other country. We're getting ****

You don’t believe 60 plane loads will arrive at the weekend? https://www.thesun.ie/news/5248612/coronavirus-in-ireland-60-planes-protective-equipment-ireland-china/

When it does what will you say?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're going on about ordering stuff in advance as if there's been loads of time.

China only notified WHO on December 31st of unusual pneumonia cases and had it's first death on January 11.

Europe or the world was not worried then.

First death in Europe occurred in France on February 14th.

Italy didn't report deaths until Febraury 22nd.

The first case in Ireland was confirmed on February 29th.

So where is all this time to prepare you are talking about?

And even if the HSE went looking for PPE in February, what makes you think other countries weren't as well and they were in short supply?

Also, Ireland's system of healthcare is behind other countries, I agree but it doesn't mean it's awful and also the care people get is second to none once they get a bed. It's not poor care but a poor system. But now it's fully ramped up in emergency mode for Covid-19 care.
    Go to an Aftrican country to find out what poor healthcare is.

Considering the first case was here on Feb 29th and then Patrick's Day was cancelled early and scbools ordered closed on March 12th , I tink they've acted quite quickly and done well.
    Testing is not perfect but is ramping up and come a very long way in a couple of weeks.

You're just putting everything Ireland does down for the sake of it whilst not being realistic.

minimise/deflect/compare. African country? Compare our GDP. Sending healthcare workers to deal with cases with inadequate PPE is unacceptable.

What proportion of cases in Germany are health care workers?
    Bet it's nothing like 25%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

murpho999 wrote: »

PPE is on it's way.

Do you not see the whole of europe has acted the same way?

Ireland has 9 deaths. Look at numbers in UK or Netherlands.

We are a month in to treating a pandemic. A large percentage of healthcare staff have already been infected. That is simply not good enough.

We are weeks behind the Netherlands. The UK have accelerated their position because of population and allowing mass events to continue. Mutations of the virus were found in Iceland for 6 or 7 cases and were traced back to an EPL soccer game.

Dont try and make comparisons. You think we are at the end of this in Ireland ? FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Basically if Samantha is emptying the Hoover bag and she blows dust everywhere and she coughs along with her darlings Jacinta and Jordan.
    Chances are she was ringing up demanding to be tested.
    They are hoping to cut this down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

joeguevara wrote: »
    You don’t believe 60 plane loads will arrive at the weekend? https://www.thesun.ie/news/5248612/coronavirus-in-ireland-60-planes-protective-equipment-ireland-china/

When it does what will you say?
    I'll believe it when they land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Don't be ridiculous. Contingency planning is about more than just holding a stock to meet the worst case scenario? Get real.
    Much like our fuel reserves, consumables like PPE could be held in reasonable depth and the stock rotated out to the rest of the national (or EU) system on a FIFO basis. It's not rocket science. It's about the State doing what it should do. As we're finally seeing now, re wage and job stability measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Well this thread get a bit heated after mid-night

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why don't you research before making assertions?

Then we know.

minimise/deflect/compare. African country? Compare our GDP. Sending healthcare workers to deal with cases with inadequate PPE is unacceptable.

You need to realsie that the vast majority of the healthcare force in Ireland have never had to deal with any major incident. The biggest incident alot deal with are road traffic accidents. These by and large only involve 1 or 2 people.

Mass casualty events are extremely rare here.

In that sense you can assume that the high number of healthcare infections is down to the bystander affect. Alot of irish people last weekend were lax about the crisis. Healthcare staff are people too and were probably lax about PPE when people arrived in A7E with flu.

Ireland does not have the experienced healthcare staff at senior levels, consultants that have experience in mass casualty events.

I expect now that proper training has been delivered that healthcare infections will drop considerably.

Are you serious. It is a once in a century event. Last time we used our boys in green in a war like situation was to to give this country it's independence.

I'm a piece of work? you are mental. I'm not a fortune teller. This generally occurs on a frequency of once every 100 years. Read a book.

Most countries have strategic reserves to cope with it. Wake up buttercup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

eastie17 wrote: »
    Christ, as depressing and all as the overall situation is, this thread and the majority of the posts would put anyone whos very low completely over the edge. Any sort of half arsed bad news story is grabbed by some posters and put up in lights so they can have a **** over the misery they are trying to spread.

To be honest threads like these are best consumed in small, time limited doses.
    Aspects of this, well most of this are beyond our control. All we can do is keep up with the simple measures and try to prevent spread.

A serious end to this will come, but it will ultimately be because of technical solutions with antivirals, immune modulation and hopefully effective vaccines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement