Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I think that German microbiologist could be onto something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

New Home wrote: »
    For a second I thought you meant that shower facilities for hospital staff aren't available in other countries... :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind, but I'm actually wide awake...

Understandable...it isn't the clearest, tis me who's half asleep I think!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ikozma wrote: »
    I think that German microbiologist could be on something

More like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It was a lie but its the kind of lie i expect to be told if you know what i mean.

???

If it was indeed a lie, they could have issued this public appeal for PPE 5 days ago be instead of lying about it and waiting for the PPE to run out before issuing the appeal. I believe its called flattening the curve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

flynnlives wrote: »
    We acted.

Other countries dithered.

is there lessons to be learnt. Of course. We messed up expanding the testing to early but weve corrected that.

40k people wanted a test. Its statically impossible based on our numbers for many of those people to be infected. Again i point the finger here at trigger happy GP's.

No. The HSE did not have enough testing equipment. The same way they hadn't got enough PPE for frontline staff. People came forward that were displaying symptoms, symptoms published by the HSE. GP's were the gatekeepers.

What percentage of that 40,000 are infected given that 49% of infections are now at community level. We wont know, because it took 11 days to admit there was not enough testing equipment or capacity to deal with as a backlog.

The whole premise of which is to avoid overwhelmed ER's and ICU's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-orleans-emerges-as-next-coronavirus-epicenter-threatening-rest-of-south/ar-BB11HRXa
    New Orleans emerges as next coronavirus epicenter, threatening rest of South

The plight of New Orleans - with the world's highest growth rate in coronavirus cases - also raises fears that the city may become a powerful catalyst in spreading the virus across the south of the country. Authorities have warned the number of cases in New Orleans could overwhelm its hospitals by April 4.

USA over 11,000 cases and counting for yesterday and 164 deaths so far recorded. The country will surpass Italy tomorrow to become the 2nd most infected in the world (although whether that is by incompetence or the virus is hard to distinguish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

STB. wrote: »
    What I said was "We are a month in to treating a pandemic."

Our first case was diagnosed on 29/2 just after we started testing. Today is the 26/3. We are a month into treating a pandemic.

No we're not, we're a month into treating something that has developed into a pandemic. Big difference.
    They are a population of 17million surrounded by land based countries within Europe. They closed their schools, bars and restaurants on 15/3. Whilst their first case was diagnosed only two days before ours, they have adopted an unproven herd immunity "approach". Numbers have escalated. The first cases in Italy may have now been early December, 2019 and deaths recorded as strange pneumonia cases may have been Covid19, which was yet to be known about.

Yes, less than 4 times our population but 40 times our death rate. How do you explain that?

Your border argument is weak when you see what's happening in Germany. I think they'tr in big trouble.
    Yes the UK have. There is a strong argument that we should not be importing those cases back in through lax borders.

Maybe but cases have come from everywhere.
    Quite the contrary, I am just more educated than you on this subject.

Here's your link you could have googled all the same.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/iceland-scientists-found-40-mutations-of-the-coronavirus-report-says/

For me you lose all creditbility in claiming to educate yourself with the New York Post, basically the equivalent of The Sun in the US and the same owners.

No evidence in that article at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The healthcare system reminds of the series Chernobyl now.

Feck it actually think i'll rewatch it!

VRZirwn.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

???

If it was indeed a lie, they could have issued this public appeal for PPE 5 days ago be instead of lying about it and waiting for the PPE to run out before issuing the appeal. I believe its called flattening the curve!

You think the general public in Ireland has PPE ??

And honestly if pharma industries and food industries have them it would be best to contact them privately and discreetly as people will also try those avenues now that they have gained public awareness. There is a lot of hoarding. That's just my lay opinion though.

Also how do we know these PPE from the public have not been exposed to COVID -19?

They are meant to be sterile. Maybe they have some way around this.

jetsonx wrote: »
    His whole business model is based on bringing people together. Like millions of other businesses, this virus has the potential to impact his operations severely.

Like him or loathe him, a healthy society needs people like him who question the status quo. It helps keep people in positions of power in check and stops them getting too cosy. Remember, if people had taken a relaxed view on this virus, the powers that be might still have went ahead with St. Patricks Festival.

I admit now is not the time for Twitter rows but at least he organised some PPE from China - gear which our frontline healthcare staff could be very grateful for shortly.

the value of questioning relies upon the questioner and their questions

and did he organise that? because all i saw was him subtly claiming credit for it but zero evudence at that stage of any involvement tbh? now i will admit i didnt go looking either so perhaps thats a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Maybe the fact that I'd say nobody will be going to tech events for the next 12 to 24 months and even after that it'll be a while before everyone's back being comfortable mingling.

I'd suspect he's stressed out as his business model is quite 'challenged'.

Xertz wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that I'd say nobody will be going to tech events for the next 12 to 24 months and even after that it'll be a while before everyone's back being comfortable mingling.

nah he has constant form for running his mouth publicly on things he knows nothing about

now, we all do it, but he is a public figure and genuinely seems to expect to be of influence as soon as something catches his fleeting attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

murpho999 wrote: »
    No we're not, we're a month into treating something that has developed into a pandemic. Big difference.

Yes, less than 4 times our population but 40 times our death rate. How do you explain that?

Your border argument is weak when you see what's happening in Germany. I think they'tr in big trouble.

For me you lose all creditbility in claiming to educate yourself with the New York Post, basically the equivalent of The Sun in the US and the same owners.

Where's your credibility? Why should you get to decide what's right and what's not true.

You should start here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing
    I seem, then, in just this little thing to be wiser than this man at any rate, that what I do not know I do not think I know either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Xertz wrote: »

Very much so. I would say he is sweating.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Talking about mutations is pointless, this has been known for a while, means nothing right now - NY Post is on Daily Mail levels of reporting

Someone asked me for a link.

The story about the Icelandic tests into mutations has not been known for a while and the full report has not been seen as yet. The story only appeared in the last few days.

If you don't the understand the relevance to mutating viri don't post anything at all.

Now, whats was your point, that you stuck your neck in

Where's your credibility? Why should you get to decide what's right and what's not true.

You should start here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

Because I stick to verifiable facts not anecdotes or just your own opinion and I don't resort to insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Virtual tech events for the foreseeable future until COVID-19 is resolved.

Very much so. I would say he is sweating.

could be a fever, can somebody check Paddy's temp

The story about the Icelandic tests into mutations has not been known for a while and the full report has not been seen as yet. The story only appeared in the last few days.

If you don't the understand the relevance to mutating viri don't post anything at all.

You said it. It's a story. In a paper with a very bad reputation.

You just use it as it suits your argument but you're not really proving anything.
    Your mutation "story" is completely irrelevant.

Your ability to read english is clearly a problem. Go back and read what I typed. Hint. Its the very same as you typed. You may have read it with different intonation, but its the same words.

Credibility, is that what you were trying to spell ?

You asked for a news paper article. I gave it to you. Its credibility is up to those that peer review it, when published. I'm sure they'll call on you Mr Mensa in good time.

By the way, you lost all credibility with me with your inability to read english words or type them for that matter. That and your other arrogant and poorly educated responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Because I stick to verifiable facts not anecdotes or just your own opinion and I don't resort to insults.
    But semantics?

pandemic (from Greek πᾶν pan "all" and δῆμος demos "people") is a disease epidemic that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents, or worldwide.

This was a pandemic long before the WHO declared it so.

If it walks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have fun

https://nextstrain.org/ncov

Are you for real? A low point in the history of the state? Never mind the IRA, or clerical child abuse, Magdalene Laundries, banking crisis, could go on and on.

And you're calling the delivery of equipment and a testing system not being able to cope with over-demand (which is what it has been) as low point. Please get a grip.

Europe only took notice of this virus in February. 1st case in Ireland on Feb 29th.

PPE is on it's way.

Do you not see the whole of Europe has acted the same way?

Ireland has 9 deaths. Look at numbers in UK or Netherlands.

Why do you anchor your expectation to other fvck ups such as Europe. The people of Ireland don't care about the mistakes of the the governments of Europe.

We put our faith in our leaders to protect us from existential threats. That is part of the social contract.

I get most people don't understand a pandemic in the same way we don't understand a nuclear disaster. Both are invisible but real.

bekker wrote: »
    But semantics?

That's all he has.

A bar room bore, no doubt. A know it all, who knows **** all.

What's that link. looks live one of those click on a link spam emails. Not going near it thanks.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's that link. looks live one of those click on a link spam emails. Not going near it thanks.:confused:

Stay uneducated then and it wasn't directed to you

You said it. It's a story. In a paper with a very bad reputation.

You just use it as it suits your argument but you're not really proving anything.
    Your mutation "story" is completely irrelevant.

You are a poster with a bad reputation of trying to minimise reality in hope of social collusion.

What part of the story about the Icelandic tests discovering 40 did you not understand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What do you regard as not evidence? Something like this non evidence?:
    Scientists have tracked 40 mutations of coronavirus - in Iceland alone
    Icelandic genetics company DeCode Genetics has tracked 40 mutations of coronavirus in Iceland. A true scenario is that the virus develops to become more contagious, but less dangerous for those affected, according to the Danish virologist Rodrigo Antunes

Icelandic health authorities have found 40 mutations of coronavirus among those infected in the country. A single person has been shown to be infected with two variants of new coronavirus.

Health authorities, in collaboration with private genetics firm DeCode Genetics, have tested 9,768 people for coronavirus. But it has not only been tested for coronavirus infection. A full resequencing of the infections found has also been carried out.

"We can see how viruses mutate," explains Kári Stefánsson, Director of DeCode Genetics for Information.

'We've found 40 iceland-specific mutations in the virus. We found a person who had a mixture of viruses. He had viruses from before and after the mutation, and the only infections that can be traced back to that person are the mutated virus.'

In addition to helping the Icelandic health authorities carry out tests, DeCode Genetics has carried out the re-sequencing of the cases of coronavirus found – both the cases identified by the authorities and the cases found by the company Even.

In this way, it has been possible to trace in detail the spread of the infection in the small Icelandic community, which has just over 364 000 inhabitants.

The many mutations in Iceland do not surprise Professor and Virologist Allan Randrup Thomsen from the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at the University of Copenhagen.

'Coronavirus is known as a virus that can mutate reasonably heavily. We've seen reports of variants from China already. That way, it fits well with what you would expect," he says.

DeCode's gene sequencing has identified three groups of infections, says Kári Stefánsson of DeCode Genetics:

'We've got the genes from more than 400 infections. The interesting thing about the sequencing is that we can track where the virus came from. Some came from Austria. There is another type from people who were infected in Italy. And there is a third type of virus found in people who were infected in the UK. Seven people had been to a football match in England.'

A total of 473 people infected have been found in Iceland since 28 September 2004. The first case was discovered on February 11. One person has died and 12 are hospitalized.

The Icelandic health authorities have tested all of the individuals who either showed symptoms, were sick or were at risk of coronavirus.

In addition, DeCode Genetics tested 5,571 people who did not show symptoms of the disease and who were not at risk but who volunteered to be tested. The genetics company has found 48 cases of coronavirus in which the tested person did not show symptoms of any kind.

The company expects to publish the results of their studies on coronavirus and share data on gene sequencings.

"We have shared all results continuously with the Icelandic health authorities and will put all the sequencings into an international database as soon as possible," said Kári Stefánsson.

Professor Allan Randrup Thomsen has not yet had access to the Icelandic data himself, but considers that the results as described 'make perfect sense'.

'It's interesting with the 40 specific variants that fall into three clusters that can be traced back to specific sources of infection. As a virologist, it is very exciting that you can start to see what routes of infection there are. It is also something that we will subsequently see in the epidemic – this kind of study – because we would like to see how the virus develops," says Allan Randrup Thomsen.

The virologist explains that it is entirely after the book that coronavirus mutates. He expects the virus to develop in the long run to be more contagious but less pathogenic.

'It's similar to the pattern that we see with influenza, and we can live with that. This means that the virus can infect more because it is better adapted, but it is not the pathogenic virus variants that survive. These are the variants that cause less disease.'

Professor Allan Randrup Thomsen expects that there will be more similar studies as the pandemic develops.

"Icelanders have for many years lived high on the fact that they have a small well-characterized population. They've used this to do genetic analysis of many different diseases, so I'm sure it's quality work.'

Chief epidemiologist in Iceland Thorolfur Gudnason expects the research results to prove extraordinarily beneficial around the world.

"We expect that all the work of testing large sections of the population will provide knowledge that can contribute to the world's efforts against this pandemic," he said Friday at a press conference in Reykjavik.

María Mjöll Jónsdóttir of the Icelandic Ministry of Foreign Affairs also explains that the Icelandic results are meant to be used internationally:

'Data collected at screening has already proved invaluable in risk management and decisions in relation to the epidemic. We believe that this data may be useful for other countries that have problems estimating the level of dispersal in society," María Mjöll Jónsdóttir writes for Information.
    https://www.information.dk/indland/2020/03/forskere-sporet-40-mutationer-coronavirus-alene-paa-island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1242814082874572800

Of course this would not be required if we properly funded the defence forces and they had even one heavy lift aircraft.

A national embarrassment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement