Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I'm in a similar situation, made worse by the fact that my boss (and owner of the business) is coming into work today after being off 2 days with flu symptoms. He should be self isolating but won't. I may have to walk out of my job of 20+ years because of this today. I'm terrified of putting my health at risk.

Tried to get my colleagues to join me in standing up to him but I think they assume I'm just an hysterical woman and so I'm on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FonE wrote: »
    Tried to get my colleagues to join me in standing up to him but I think they assume I'm just an hysterical woman and so I'm on my own.

Are you a woman or a he/she?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

FonE wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, made worse by the fact that my boss (and owner of the business) is coming into work today after being off 2 days with flu symptoms. He should be self isolating but won't. I may have to walk out of my job of 20+ years because of this today. I'm terrified of putting my health at risk.

Damn. Do you live with people who may be vulnerable?

I wouldn't quit, but have you talked to colleagues? Union?

Don't do this on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's hard. Good to walk outside and work it off if you can.

Are you working from home? Must be cabin fever for lots of people.

No the paramedic who did my swab said I look like I had it but it had passed now. So I'm out for a walk now while No one is out walking in gloves and mask.

No I work in a hospital waiting on results to get back. Best of luck 2 ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's hard. Good to walk outside and work it off if you can.

Are you working from home? Must be cabin fever for lots of people.

Would have done one day a week at home as a normal routine.. but this every day at home is doing my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No the paramedic who did my swab said I look like I had it but it had passed now. So I'm out for a walk now while No one is out walking in gloves and mask.

No I work in a hospital waiting on results to get back. Best of luck 2 ya

If you're just out for a walk, there's not much need for gloves and a mask.

Hope you're feeling ok but without an anti body test, it's impossible to say that you've been through it so you'll have to stick to whatever precautions you've been sticking to up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Like Greta I reckon I too have had the kill bug. I have been well looked after like Greta.

DSCF4028.JPG

ill-298909_1920.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Like Greta I reckon I too have had the kill bug. I have been well looked after like Greta.

DSCF4028.JPG

ill-298909_1920.jpg

You should probably be resting more and not changing to sleeping in multiple beds around the house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BBC:

"Banks have been criticised by firms and MPs for insisting on personal guarantees to issue government-backed emergency loans to business owners"

The banks would want to behave, we bailed them out in 2008. Any vulturism now will be their undoing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

DSCF4028.JPG

ill-298909_1920.jpg

You got the swine flu from miss piggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Dingaan

Didn't know about Netherlands approach.

Funny though, how USA, UK and Brazil are flucking it up, all right wing populists.

If only they were like France, Italy, Spain etc they would be in much better shape. 🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Didn't know about Netherlands approach.

Funny though, how USA, UK and Brazil are flucking it up, all right wing populists.

Bizarre post. Italy Spain France and China initially. Communist/Left wing/ liberal largely. This thing is apolitical. However countries react initially, they all head towards isolating sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Talisman wrote: »
    Que? The measures taken in the Netherlands are more stringent than here.

I wouldn't think so.

"The Dutch measures are milder than those in much of the rest of the Continent. In the Netherlands, shops are still open and meetings of 100 people are still allowed"

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-is-tired-of-dutch-coronavirus-tourists/

and, as the previous poster has already highlighted:
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Dutch health department is telling its citizens that children cannot transmit the virus to adults and therefore it's ok for kids to mingle in playgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sweet Shop is hardly an essential business, so many greedy bastards open.

You see I don't get this thing about businesses staying open as being "greedy".

Footfall is way down for all businesses, it's not as if the shops are packed all day.

It's the opposite,they are empty and business owners are trying to stay open as long as they can to try and eek out some sort of revenue, because they know that if they close then that may be their business and livelihood may be gone for good.

lawred2 wrote: »
    If you're just out for a walk, there's not much need for gloves and a mask.

Hope you're feeling ok but without an anti body test, it's impossible to say that you've been through it so you'll have to stick to whatever precautions you've been sticking to up to now.

Gloves and mask - consultants in work told us to wear if we have symptoms I'm in a massive park so it's just in case. I still keep getting short of breathe so if I need to sit down I've gloves on and if I want to buy water.

I rang my mates in work who are consultants and they agreed with him had it but it's gone. They think there will be a test in 2021 to show if you've had it. I know I did due to my symptoms anyway cheers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apparently the ECDC doesn't think warmer weather will do anything.

https://euobserver.com/tickers/147886

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gloves and mask - consultants in work told us to wear if we have symptoms I'm in a massive park so it's just in case. I still keep getting short of breathe so if I need to sit down I've gloves on and if I want to buy water.

I rang my mates in work who are consultants and they agreed with him had it but it's gone. They think there will be a test in 2021 to show if you've had it. I know I did due to my symptoms anyway cheers though

There is a home test being released next few weeks. Will be available on Amazon. British government doing final check. Will tell you if you have coronavirus or have had it. 96% accuracy.

There is a home test being released next few weeks. Will be available on Amazon. British government doing final check. Will tell you if you have coronavirus or have had it. 96% accuracy.

Not reading up much just chatting to mates off fb etc cause of the panic so cheers for that info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why are the countries with biological warfare programs using their military resources to disinfect at a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

so the USA now has the largest number of active cases in the world..

(that escalated quickly..)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lavinia wrote: »
    so the USA now has the largest number of active cases in the world..

(that escalated quickly..)

According to Dear Leader it will be sorted by Easter and its going to be a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Why are the countries with biological warfare programs using their military resources to disinfect at a large scale.

There's a conspiracy thread elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Be right back

DSCF4028.JPG

ill-298909_1920.jpg

Where's your hand sanitizer, Kermit?

The working class should be hailed as Covid-19 heroes for enabling all our comfy quarantines

Whatever about the website. I agree with the sentiment of this article. People who have to work in supermarkets etc should be compensated for the added danger / risk they face.

By Dr.Lisa McKenzie, working class academic and Assistant Professor in Sociology at the University of Durham, political activist, writer and thinker.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/484023-working-class-heroes-coronavirus/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just listening to Morning Ireland and they were saying they are at present only doing 40 tests a day in Northern Ireland! Test numbers to be increased next week. Expert (Dr Ultan Power) reckons there are likely to be approx 5,000 cases in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It's interesting though - why are they mass-disinfecting the hell out of everything, we're not even looking at such an idea? Is there merit to their actions, or just for show?

No conspiracy. Why are they doing that? Everything need not be a conspiracy.

Why are countries hardest hit, disinfecting EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Be right back

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    According to Dear Leader it will be sorted by Easter and its going to be a beautiful thing.

Full churches over Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There seems to be a trend emerging about the approach to testing in some countries including Ireland and the UK. This could be due to the virtual impossibility of carrying out timely tests on anyone who displays any symptoms of the virus.
    Even though only people displaying symptoms were being tested, we have learned that 95% of tests are negative. There can only be two reasons for this:-
    1. The subjects do not have, and never had, the virus or
    2. They have had it and recovered with no detectable virus load by the time the test is done.

If the second reason is what has been happening, then it would indicate that the virus is very widespread in the population already and the numbers of cases being reported is just fiction. It would also indicate that unless tests are timely, they are a waste of time unless the subject developes serious symptoms and needs to be hospitalised.

I think the medical boffins have come to the conclusion that mass testing would achieve nothing. Where serious symptoms emerge they will come to attention anyway. The exception would be frontline medical staff.

What is likely to happen with this disease is that it will run its course whatever we do and will fade into the background along with the various other seasonal infections that circulate in the community all the time. An effective vaccine will probably become widely available in the next year or so and any vulnerable people can be protected from any future outbreak.

• Advertisement

No conspiracy. Why are they doing that? Everything need not be a conspiracy.

Why are countries hardest hit, disinfecting EVERYTHING.

With the hopes of removing any remnants of the virus from surfaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement