Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

shesty wrote: »
    Put away social media and the news for a few days and try to get out.It is damaging to your mental health.

Get out to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

i've seen footage from one American mega-church, where the pastor is literally saying "Jesus will protect you".

Looks like Easter will be ground zero for another mass pandemic outbreak in America, on New York City levels.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1242852430582341639

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Get out to where?

A walk, social distancing does not mean you need to cloister yourself.

It means that you keep a safe distance, and keep aware.

You can leave your home, take a walk, jog, have a run.

In Limerick City, I am still quite fond of walking the 3 bridges or the Condell Rd.

You don't need to actually go anywhere special, even a circuit or 2 of your local park just to stretch your legs and dissipate some energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cloudatlas wrote: »
    You aren't taking into account population density or size. This virus is spread by community person to person spread. You cannot compare Ireland to most if not all of the countries on this list.
    Also, things are going to really take off in the US over the next week, hospitals have mostly been able to cope up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

screen-shot-2012-01-18-at-11-32-04-am.png

Pray for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You can't count a test if you haven't processed. Otherwise its counted as a zero test. i.e what's the ****ing point of sticking something down your throat.

Isn't our testing numbers above most per capital? (Baring places that were but much earlier obviously). - This is exactly why Leos first hire was a PR man.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I'm having my first bad day with this psychologically. The stories of overwhelmed nurses and people dying alone, along with the fear of what will happen if we don't flatten the curve here is getting to be a lot.

You need to focus your mind elsewhere, Kiki. Information overload is no good. The news will be the same for another long while so try to stay away from it for a day or two.

Plugging this forum again for anyone who feels like Kiki does right now
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057664520/95/#post112950133

Sorry not sorry, beasty.

Also, things are going to really take off in the US over the next week, hospitals have mostly been able to cope up to now

Not in NYC, watching CNN reports overnight and medics are already talking about being overwhelmed and to forget about thinking this is an older persons illness.
    1 ICU doc in particular very strident in his saying it is affecting all age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

screen-shot-2012-01-18-at-11-32-04-am.png

Pray for me

symptoms?

gabeeg wrote: »
    symptoms?

Well he's looking a bit green for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

OK...

I understand this is serious and it's great to see people taking it seriously but, people around me are starting to take the absolute piss, from both extremes.

On one hand, I'm surronded by groups of people, cluttered together, out walking and chatting or jogging, not paying any heed to the social distancing.
    On the other hand, I have people on social media, who live locally, posting their ****ing "self quarantine diaries" and how difficult it is to be cut off from their family, because they had a headache one night...

Adds nothing to the conversation or discussion but, **** me... I needed to vent

banie01 wrote: »

In Limerick City, I am still quite fond of walking the 3 bridges or the Condell Rd.

You don't need to actually go anywhere special, even a circuit or 2 of your local park just to stretch your legs and dissipate some energy.

We really shouldn't be encouraging people going out.

I know some people need too but it still gives off the signal its OK to be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Boggles wrote: »
    Absolutely, the polls suggest that large percentages of people (Trump voters) still believe this isn't as bad as it seems.

I think that a lot of Americans are choosing to see the virus in a way that we would have seen it 100 years ago. Imagine Coronavirus had swept the world in the wake of WW1 instead of the Spanish Flu. A virus that made most upper and middle class young and middle aged people a bit breathless or sick enough to need to be in bed for a couple of weeks and gave older people pneumonia. That killed a lot of the very elderly, ill and morbidly obese of which there wouldn't have been as many anyway. There would also probably have been higher mortality rates throughout all ages of the poor because many still lived and worked in conditions that had already caused lung damage. It would have been bad and people would have noted it was happening but it wouldn't have caused massive disruption like it is doing now. Life would have continued on as relatively normal for most people.

And that's the way a lot of people are choosing to look at this. A disease that's mainly going to take out old and sick people. They aren't thinking about hospitals being overwhelmed. If it came down to it, they'd probably say those people should just stay home and die, so that hospitals can continue on as normal. America is a country where it's considered normal for someone's cancer treatment to be based on their insurance rather than their need. Just wanting old and sick people to stay home and quietly die so society can keep going as normal isn't much different. There are plenty of people who on some level at least think that society would actually be improved without all these old and sick and poor people dragging them down and that a virus like this is God's or nature's way of purging the weakest for the benefit of everyone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's bringing out the crazy.

I know some people need too but it still gives off the signal its OK to be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You have to get out, even if it's just for a walk for 20 minutes / half an hour. This could go on for a couple months yet,

You have to get out, even if it's just for a walk for 20 minutes / half an hour. This could go on for a couple months yet,

The message is stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not that I'm aware of. Will go and brave Aldi.

Great craic. I've asthma. Luckily I've PPE.

Do you have a Tesco near you? You could do click and collect. You pick out your shopping online and choose a pick up time. Then you drive to Tesco at your time, get your goods and leave. You are just there for about a minute and interact with 1 person in a really minimal way.

It is ok to be out and about once you obey the social distancing guidelines.

That would be why it's actual government advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

The Government, The HSE, WHO are all encouraging people to get out for walks or get their exercise in, just keep your distance!

It is OK to be out, so long as you keep your distance and don't get notions in yourselves to go to a packed beach or park

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is ok to be out and about once you obey the social distancing guidelines.

That would be why it's actual government advice.

Its also government advice to stay at home.

But I take your point, I just feel people out and about now is gonna prolong our return to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Germany's first count in 2032 / 16

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iran: +2,389 new case/+157 additional deaths.

Up again (slightly) on yesterday (both cases and deaths).

Its also government advice to stay at home.

But I take your point, I just feel people out and about now is gonna prolong our return to normality.

You are choosing to pick and choose a single piece of a range of holistic government advice.

That's catastrophising and focusing on a specific portion of the whole, rather than actually using rational judgement.

If you want to stay in, do.
    Don't however disregard the Govt advice on exercise, on social distancing or on the actual harm total isolation can cause your mental health if not in a high risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

iguana wrote: »
    I think that a lot of Americans are choosing to see the virus in a way that we would have seen it 100 years ago. Imagine Coronavirus had swept the world in the wake of WW1 instead of the Spanish Flu. A virus that made most upper and middle class young and middle aged people a bit breathless or sick enough to need to be in bed for a couple of weeks and gave older people pneumonia. That killed a lot of the very elderly, ill and morbidly obese of which there wouldn't have been as many anyway. There would also probably have been higher mortality rates throughout all ages of the poor because many still lived and worked in conditions that had already caused lung damage. It would have been bad and people would have noted it was happening but it wouldn't have caused massive disruption like it is doing now. Life would have continued on as relatively normal for most people.

And that's the way a lot of people are choosing to look at this. A disease that's mainly going to take out old and sick people. They aren't thinking about hospitals being overwhelmed. If it came down to it, they'd probably say those people should just stay home and die, so that hospitals can continue on as normal. America is a country where it's considered normal for someone's cancer treatment to be based on their insurance rather than their need. Just wanting old and sick people to stay home and quietly die so society can keep going as normal isn't much different. There are plenty of people who on some level at least think that society would actually be improved without all these old and sick and poor people dragging them down and that a virus like this is God's or nature's way of purging the weakest for the benefit of everyone else.

I would certainly not be of this view but I would be of the view that the large amount of money being spent on welfare payments would be better spent on looking after the elderly and people who are vulnerable to this disease and the rest of society should return to relative normality in the next few weeks. Maintain social distancing but return to work. Return the kids to school. Anybody that is Vulnerable and has kids and school can have a video link set-up so the child still gets their education but remotely. Elderly isolate themselves which they are already doing. Anyone that can work from home continues to do so. Have a carers payment for anybody who has elderly people live with them and cannot work because its high risk. But open back up the cafe's restaurants and small businesses.

ESRI predicts that there will be 18% unemployment. If we don't return to some form of normality soon these will become long term unemployed. We then need to shout at the ECB to start printing money and get it into peoples pockets to get people spending. I would be in big favour of a voucher system that can be used in business effected by this. Similar to a one4all but leave the supermarkets out of it because they are already doing OK out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

spookwoman wrote: »
    Germany's first count in 2032 / 16

How many counts will they do in a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jin luk wrote: »
    How many counts will they do in a day?

At least 4

• Advertisement

But it is okay to be out and about. And maintaining your physical and mental health through outdoor exercise is actively encouraged. As long as you’re 2 metres from other humans, which is not that hard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement