Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

joeguevara wrote: »
    You don’t believe 60 plane loads will arrive at the weekend? https://www.thesun.ie/news/5248612/coronavirus-in-ireland-60-planes-protective-equipment-ireland-china/

When it does what will you say?

If you believe 60 plane loads will land this weekend, I've a bridge over the Liffey i'll sell you. :rolleyes:

Even the article doesn't claim that.

"SIXTY plane loads of personal protective equipment for healthcare workers will arrive in Ireland from Sunday."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The message is stay at home.

Taking exercise is part of that essential activity but with proper regard to the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

MOR316 wrote: »
    The Government, The HSE, WHO are all encouraging people to get out for walks or get their exercise in, just keep your distance!

It is OK to be out, so long as you keep your distance and don't get notions in yourselves to go to a packed beach or park

I have no problem with people going out jogging alone around an unused football pitch minding their own business. What’s no right is going out jogging through the centre of Rathmines while I’m queuing outside Boots to collect a prescription, spitting on the ground and panting in people’s faces.

I live with an immunocompromised relative and this could kill them.

Since people don’t seem to understand this, we should ban jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

is_that_so wrote: »
    Taking exercise is part of that essential activity but with proper regard to the guidelines.

There was an interview with an Irishman in Wuhan n Newstalk the other morning.

They didn't let people out, they brought everything they needed to your home for 60 days.

we may not be on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

is_that_so wrote: »

You can do push-ups on the floor of your own home. If you really must go jogging, find a quiet spot or buy a threadmill.

• Advertisement

If you believe 60 plane loads will land this weekend, I've a bridge over the Liffey i'll sell you. :rolleyes:

Even the article doesn't claim that.

"SIXTY plane loads of personal protective equipment for healthcare workers will arrive in Ireland from Sunday."
    I do recall reading a staggering figure of 210 million for the overall order of €28m. Think we are just getting a few million in the first order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Anyone else got into the habit of going to bed really early and waking up early?

Not sure if this is caused by isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

I have no problem with people going out jogging alone around an unused football pitch minding their own business. What’s no right is going out jogging through the centre of Rathmines while I’m queuing outside Boots to collect a prescription, spitting on the ground and panting in people’s faces.

I live with an immunocompromised relative and this could kill them.

Since people don’t seem to understand this, we should ban jogging.

Well no, you can't just ban jogging because of a ****wit or two.

Understand your anger at the tosser who did that but, the overwhelming majority aren't like that thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Its gonna be 7days for infections to go from 250k to 500k now soon 22k to go,

Less than a week away from it being over a million cases worldwide if it doubles in 7days again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

What's that link. looks live one of those click on a link spam emails. Not going near it thanks.:confused:
    good site being using it for some time now.

• Advertisement

You can do push-ups on the floor of your own home. If you really must go jogging, find a quiet spot or buy a threadmill.
    And that is still outside. It doesn't have to be for long nor near anyone else. I think it is more crucial than ever as more people start to look at cabin fever syndrome in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Any asthmatics on here worried about this? Read some accounts of people recovered from the virus and it doesn't sound good if you're a bad asmathic like myself. I'm still going to work but I'm really considering things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apologies if already posted, but I thought this was picture was just incredibly sad and a reminder of what's behind the daily numbers we see coming out of Italy. It's a man attending his mother's funeral in Italy.

f6ha6rwffqo41.jpg

May as well tell the whole story

thumb?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesspiegel.de%2Fimages%2Ffile-photo-day-four-of-italys-nationwide-coronavirus-lockdown-in-brescia%2F25648484%2F&md5val=e5bbea99d33868c195a6b2b712d2d794&key=91183af87f5bebb535d54206bad55fa92ef73428&method=fill&size=924x512

thumb?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesspiegel.de%2Fimages%2Ftagesspiegel%2F25642834%2F&md5val=dad39962ff1b9061e277570768798874&key=1bf9886b0374f52f7ab9ecebfc122149fbf0046b&method=fill&size=924x512

3-format1012.jpg

thumb?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesspiegel.de%2Fimages%2Fbergamotrucks%2F25660946%2F&md5val=bc3007c6abccfe7f505a1ca3aa1429eb&key=14d10b2f116f7c2bd89e626c4e903a208176dda5&method=fill&size=924x520

thumb?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesspiegel.de%2Fimages%2Fbergamo-sarg%2F25659070%2F&md5val=ef47b2b361f7c21095d4c38a6c99b22d&key=996eee39b616460b351c4aea54e5722d0b42c90f&method=fill&size=924x512

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Coronavirus-Trump-conosce-i-virus.jpg

;)

You'd think Fauci would know that syphilis isn't a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There was an interview with an Irishman in Wuhan n Newstalk the other morning.

They didn't let people out, they brought everything they needed to your home for 60 days.

we may not be on the right track.

Were not.

Allowing people out and about now for exercise is gonna prolong this and will lead to people only been allowed leave for shopping.

Just like Spain and Italy.

Without wanting to start a whole political discussion I have to say that the last couple of days seeing the huge surge of cases in other countries makes me nervously optimistic that we might just have got on the ball in time. Should we have done more, sooner? That's for discussion later but getting a week or two ahead of certain other places certainly looks to be paying dividends right now. Further measures/extensions may yet be necessary but I think we've done a decent job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The Indonesian government has only carried out about 2,000 tests for the respiratory virus on its population of more than 270 million\

So far, 790 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 throughout Indonesia and 58 have died, meaning the death rate is about 9 per cent.

Researchers believe further testing could reveal that millions of people have been struck down with coronavirus in the coming months.

Some experts fear that number will grow to 137 million if they don't lock down.

And I thought Australia was in a bad way.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8153241/COVID-19-Half-Indonesia-137million-contract-coronavirus-dont-lock-soon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Still in work Monday to Friday in my office, anyone else feel like they're not on "lockdown"?

It's a weird feeling, nothing has really changed for me apart from having fcuk all to do on weekends obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Anyone know why on worldometers some of the statistics have a little red triangle with an exclaimation mark beside them?

228 new cases and 11 new deaths in Switzerland has this figure beside it

But then this doesnt, for example
    1298 new cases and 42 new deaths in Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

old_aussie wrote: »
    The Indonesian government has only carried out about 2,000 tests for the respiratory virus on its population of more than 270 million\

So far, 790 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 throughout Indonesia and 58 have died, meaning the death rate is about 9 per cent.

Researchers believe further testing could reveal that millions of people have been struck down with coronavirus in the coming months.

Some experts fear that number will grow to 137 million if they don't lock down.

And I thought Australia was in a bad way.

Has since gone up to almost 80 deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Talisman wrote: »
    Que? The measures taken in the Netherlands are more stringent than here.

No they're not. Below is offical advice from Dutch Health body.
    Can my children still play outside with others?
    From the data now available, children seem to be contributing little to the spread of COVID-19. They can, therefore, play with others if they do not have any symptoms that are consistent with COVID-19, such as fever, a cold or a cough. Large groups should be avoided.
    Link to Dutch Institute for Public Health advice

I have family in Holand, and i'be neen in touch and they tell me that many people are not taking it fully serious at all and they really believe that children can't carry it.

360 dead there now, way ahead of our rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the the Russians were pretending this wasn't a big deal they have changed their minds, all non grocery/pharmacy shops in Moscow to close that said this is only in place for a week as of now. Also have a travel ban, in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I assume this has already been asked and answered, but when do people think this will end? I know this is like asking how long is the piece of string, but I assume the Gov/HSE have some plan in place for when they forecast this happening, just like I assume they knew when they were going to implement closing schools etc, based on the number of cases they were seeing.

What has to happen for us all to be allowed to go back to work?
    Zero new cases for X number of days/Zero deaths/Capacity increasing in ICU?
    When will this happen this happen?
    If new cases happen does that mean WFH/close business again?
    Do we have to wait for a vaccine before everything goes back to "normal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I would certainly not be of this view but I would be of the view that the large amount of money being spent on welfare payments would be better spent on looking after the elderly and people who are vulnerable to this disease and the rest of society should return to relative normality in the next few weeks. Maintain social distancing but return to work. Return the kids to school. Anybody that is Vulnerable and has kids and school can have a video link set-up so the child still gets their education but remotely. Elderly isolate themselves which they are already doing. Anyone that can work from home continues to do so. Have a carers payment for anybody who has elderly people live with them and cannot work because its high risk. But open back up the cafe's restaurants and small businesses.

ESRI predicts that there will be 18% unemployment. If we don't return to some form of normality soon these will become long term unemployed. We then need to shout at the ECB to start printing money and get it into peoples pockets to get people spending. I would be in big favour of a voucher system that can be used in business effected by this. Similar to a one4all but leave the supermarkets out of it because they are already doing OK out of this.

Voucher system will never work , the ESRI are predicting on worse case scenario from the peak of the stock market to now we are at levels of 5 years ago , you will hear people say we are at levels of 2008 but that is not the true reality of it.
    At the moment the ECB is creating stimulus for business and banks , more money is being printed.
    They are concentrating on getting the European economy going when the virus is more under control.
    Then the cash will flow to intise people to spend.
    Most money pumped into the world economy at the moment is just causing knee jerk reaction with investors trying to make a quick buck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Further measures/extensions may yet be necessary but I think we've done a decent job so far.

Are we not close to the limit of what can be done at a government level? The question might soon become how long we can maintain the current level of restrictions

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    I assume this has already been asked and answered, but when do people think this will end? I know this is like asking how long is the piece of string, but I assume the Gov/HSE have some plan in place for when they forecast this happening, just like I assume they knew when they were going to implement closing schools etc, based on the number of cases they were seeing.

What has to happen for us all to be allowed to go back to work?
    Zero new cases for X number of days/Zero deaths/Capacity increasing in ICU?
    When will this happen this happen?
    If new cases happen does that mean WFH/close business again?
    Do we have to wait for a vaccine before everything goes back to "normal"?

Depends unfortunately. Could be through summer or could be til next spring. I think it partly depends on figuring out how many infections there have been. If it turns out that way more people had it than thought, and re-infection rates are low then it may just be time to move on with it as a regular part of life affecting a small amount of people each year. Odds are a majority of people would get it before a vaccine can be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The message is stay at home.

Use common sense. Go for exercise outside and avoid going near anyone. Try not to touch anything. Railings or metal fences in parks. Its not hard and will greatly help people's mental health and obviously fitness levels. The benefits massively out weigh the risks

Are we not close to the limit of what can be done at a government level? The question might soon become how long we can maintain the current level of restrictions

We haven't seen much in the way of enforcement, probably hasn't really been necessary, but that's where I would see further actions coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Jesus I just read an awful thread in the forum here. A poster who's ex has had symptoms, waiting on a test and is still out and about and dropping off the child to the poster who lives with elderly parents, even instructing the child not to tell the poster about it

Then when confronted tells the OP that if they test positive they won't be telling them and they can wait on the HSE to contact them

Surely to Jesus this has to be some sort of an offence?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058064899/1/#post112953441

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Looking at the case figures, it's highly likely that Italy will have more cases than China within 36 hours and the U.S. will leap from over both of that within a day after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement