Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    I assume this has already been asked and answered, but when do people think this will end?

Talk of up to 3 months from first death, here in Australia.

Took that long in Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

wakka12 wrote: »
    Anyone know why on worldometers some of the statistics have a little red triangle with an exclaimation mark beside them?

228 new cases and 11 new deaths in Switzerland has this figure beside it

But then this doesnt, for example
    1298 new cases and 42 new deaths in Belgium
    i am not seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Iran: +2,389 new case/+157 additional deaths.

Up again (slightly) on yesterday (both cases and deaths).

Any numbers for how many Iran are testing/can test in a day? If European countries are struggling, it must be an issue there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We haven't seen much in the way of enforcement, probably hasn't really been necessary, but that's where I would see further actions coming from.
    The overall approach has been consistent here, apply a measure and hold. If the measure doesn't seem to be working or is being ignored apply a further restriction. Other countries have jumped or been forced into further restrictions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I assume this has already been asked and answered, but when do people think this will end?

If you consider that the governments emergency payment scheme is for 12 weeks, that might give an idea of thoughts in government circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

On a positive note . We definitely seem to be flattening the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Depends unfortunately. Could be through summer or could be til next spring. I think it partly depends on figuring out how many infections there have been. If it turns out that way more people had it than thought,

I don't think this is likely. Only 6% of tests positive up to now , yes? And presumably most of those tested would have some reason to think they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If you consider that the governments emergency payment scheme is for 12 weeks, that might give an idea of thoughts in government circles.

Or how much they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Were not.

Allowing people out and about now for exercise is gonna prolong this and will lead to people only been allowed leave for shopping.

Just like Spain and Italy.
    ]
    In congested areas like cities and large towns, people might need to be rationed access to public spaces, given a slot to exercise every x number of days.

In rural areas, there should be no restrictions on outside exercse because there is no congestion and because the chances of spreading the disease through unknown contacts is much much lower.

I don't think this is likely. Only 6% of tests positive up to now , yes? And presumably most of those tested would have some reason to think they had it.
    They did say last night that they'd seen a spike in flu' alongside this.

Meanwhile some sobering reading on what the Spanish did or didn't do.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/spain-coronavirus-response-analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There seems to be a trend emerging about the approach to testing in some countries including Ireland and the UK. This could be due to the virtual impossibility of carrying out timely tests on anyone who displays any symptoms of the virus.
    Even though only people displaying symptoms were being tested, we have learned that 95% of tests are negative. There can only be two reasons for this:-
    1. The subjects do not have, and never had, the virus or
    2. They have had it and recovered with no detectable virus load by the time the test is done.

If the second reason is what has been happening, then it would indicate that the virus is very widespread in the population already and the numbers of cases being reported is just fiction. It would also indicate that unless tests are timely, they are a waste of time unless the subject developes serious symptoms and needs to be hospitalised.

I think the medical boffins have come to the conclusion that mass testing would achieve nothing. Where serious symptoms emerge they will come to attention anyway. The exception would be frontline medical staff.

What is likely to happen with this disease is that it will run its course whatever we do and will fade into the background along with the various other seasonal infections that circulate in the community all the time. An effective vaccine will probably become widely available in the next year or so and any vulnerable people can be protected from any future outbreak.

That looked to be the picture in the UK until a couple of weeks ago, but they have changed what they're doing since.

At yesterday's Commons science select committee hearing, Neil Ferguson, (epidemiologist advising UK govt) said that the UK is now following a suppression strategy.
    He expects the epidemic to peak within 3 weeks, with max 10% infected in London (the worst affected area) during the first wave. Himself among them as it happens.

The govt chief science advisor Patrick Vallance said the strategy was to break transmission between households.
    He repeatedly emphasised the goal is now shrinking the epidemic, not just slowing down the growth.

All agreed that the best end point is a vaccine.
    Two vaccine experts said they thought this would take 12-18 months.
    On prompting, one said 6 months was the minimum, if everything worked seamlessly.

Meanwhile, no-one could say for certain how to lift the lockdown without a second epidemic wave.
    Ferguson thought mass testing and contact tracing might work, as done in S Korea.
    Vallance talked of relaxing restrictions while monitoring to see if a second wave started, reintroducing them if necessary.
    He also said they're ramping up testing, both for active infections (only in-patients and NHS staff tested currently) and also antibody testing for previous infection, indicating immunity.
    Both said we'd learn lessons from other countries also trying to end their lockdowns.

Ferguson dismissed the possibility that the virus has already spread to half the population without anyone seeing it, citing evidence from towns in Italy that were tested intensely, and at different stages of the epidemic.

FWIW I also think this is extremely unlikely.
    Current testing is still only finding low numbers, so this scenario would require a very rapid silent initial phase of the epidemic, then a slow-down, and people getting severely ill only after that.
    None of that would make sense.
    Also, screening programs running for weeks haven't picked up the new virus until recently -
    e.g. samples from patients with flu symptoms in Germany tested since mid-February only started showing COVID-19 3 weeks ago, and at very low levels.

The whole hearing was uploaded by The SUN (!)
    Not their usual fare, so we really are in an upside-down world.
    Be warned, it's 3 hours long and the sound is often terrible, so only watch if you've exhausted everything on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I assume this has already been asked and answered, but when do people think this will end? I know this is like asking how long is the piece of string, but I assume the Gov/HSE have some plan in place for when they forecast this happening, just like I assume they knew when they were going to implement closing schools etc, based on the number of cases they were seeing.

What has to happen for us all to be allowed to go back to work?
    Zero new cases for X number of days/Zero deaths/Capacity increasing in ICU?
    When will this happen this happen?
    If new cases happen does that mean WFH/close business again?
    Do we have to wait for a vaccine before everything goes back to "normal"?
    Ah here. A busy thread, with lots of repeated questions, and you want to rehash the same? Take some time and go through previous q + a's- you'll see plenty of posters pointing out people clogging things up like A/E and testing procedures, not to mention here.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

I imagine, like the flu, some people don't contract it despite being exposed to it.

Again, think of the cruise ship. Patient zero was onboard with a cough for 5 days, most of the ship would have been exposed in some form yet only 19% contracted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Jin luk wrote: »
    How?

By testing a very narrow band of people

Jin luk wrote: »
    How?
    That it is hovering at just under 20% and not going fully exponential at 30%. Small comfort but any comfort is worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

ZX7R wrote: »
    Voucher system will never work , the ESRI are predicting on worse case scenario from the peak of the stock market to now we are at levels of 5 years ago , you will hear people say we are at levels of 2008 but that is not the true reality of it.
    At the moment the ECB is creating stimulus for business and banks , more money is being printed.
    They are concentrating on getting the European economy going when the virus is more under control.
    Then the cash will flow to intise people to spend.
    Most money pumped into the world economy at the moment is just causing knee jerk reaction with investors trying to make a quick buck

The ESRI prediction is not worse case scenario. It is their prediction. They say the economy will shrink by "At Least 7.1%" and that those predictions are based on the economy returning to growth in Q3 and Q4 which is highly doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Sad news, i know,

But you would think RTE would be accurate with reporting current events?

" Last night, the Department of Health announced that two more patients diagnosed with Covid-19 had died.

It brings the total number of deaths in Ireland to nine.

There were an additional 235 confirmed cases of the virus in Ireland and 1,564 in total."

So are there 235 cases? or 1564 cases?

Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

wadacrack wrote: »
    Use common sense. Go for exercise outside and avoid going near anyone. Try not to touch anything. Railings or metal fences in parks. Its not hard and will greatly help people's mental health and obviously fitness levels. The benefits massively out weigh the risks

Agreed, taking care of mental health is vital, I'm sure a lot of peoples anxiety levels are much higher right now and being cooped up with 3, 4 or 5 others is pretty testing for many. It's warm and sunny here in Cork today which on a side note gives people the opportunity to get a bit of vitamin D, something many of us are lacking after the winter and which may be beneficial in strengthening our immune systems.
    Just stick to the guidelines and keep your distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

The UK have completely downgraded the status of COVID19.

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is NO LONGER considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK."

A complete downgrade. We should see a removal of the lockdown and everyone can go back to work.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#definition-of-hcid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

is_that_so wrote: »
    That it is hovering at just under 20% and not going fully exponential at 30%. Small comfort but any comfort is worth taking.

Its under 20% because they cant process the tests quick enough restrictions theyve taken wont be seen for a few week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gabeeg wrote: »
    By testing a very narrow band of people

Our testing process is well ahead of other countries.

Also, look at the death rate and numbers of people in ICU. Still low.

Numbers are going to increase but we seem to be doing well at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

As per spanish newspaper looks like the fast test bought to china is useless...only 30% accuracy
    They will open an aliexpres dispute.
    What a business is doing China!!

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-25/los-test-rapidos-de-coronavirus-comprados-en-china-no-funcionan.html?ssm=whatsapp

Sad news, i know,

" Last night, the Department of Health announced that two more patients diagnosed with Covid-19 had died.

There were an additional 235 confirmed cases of the virus in Ireland and 1,564 in total."

Which is it?

235 was the daily number, the latter the total to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Our official numbers of people with the virus are a load of boll1x. Hospitals starting to fill with people with the virus but no results back so even though they are in hospital with the virus, they aren't officially counted in our figures.

Social distancing and people obeying the rules is flattening the curve somewhat but time will tell how effective it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Sad news, i know,

Which is it?

An additional. Aka. 235 new cases with 1564 total.

So they are accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Sad news, i know,

Which is it?

235 new cases, added to our previous known cases bringing the total to 1564.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sad news, i know,

Which is it?

That's easy. there's 235 additional cases here bringing the total to 1564.

I really don't see what your problem here is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sad news, i know,

are there 235 cases? or 1564 cases?

Which is it?

What's the problem here? Additional and in total are pretty clear and distinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lavinia wrote: »
    i am not seeing this?

In the notifications at the bottom of the worldometres page not the table

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement