Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Lockdowns aren't working, virus must be in the air or something...

Just as here, construction sites continue in Spain. And in Italy. At least we are learning now quite clearly who are the lobby groups with most political clout, and for whom money trumps worker's lives, health and safety in spite of all the moronic courses they constantly run and require to "ensure" workers well being. Get up the road, ye fork-tongued bread-heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dunno why the gardai are getting "spit hoods" for wãnks like that. A good plastic bag over the head be just as good. Plus can be recycled between tossers.

If all else fails, tazers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Ideally they shouldnt have been brought back. We already had enough cases here to be dealing with but sure we are STILL tryna bring more back into the country.

So the solution is to allow the already overwhelmed Spainish health service make triage decisions on Irish holiday makers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

citysights wrote: »
    Are you sure? I bet some wouldn’t.

Revise advice to must.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Source:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/26/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-self-employed-rishi-sunakhospital-car-parking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england?page=with:block-5e7c6fb48f081e5eda23705c#block-5e7c6fb48f081e5eda23705c

London hospitals are facing a “continuous tsunami” of seriously-ill patients because of coronavirus, a health service leader said this morning. Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, which represents NHS trusts, used the phrase in an interview on the Today programme. Commenting on the situation in London, he said:

They are struggling with two things. The first is the explosion of demand they are seeing in seriously ill patients. They talk about wave after wave after wave - the word that’s often used to me is a continuous tsunami.

We are now seeing 30%, 40% and indeed in some places 50% sickness rates as staff catch the virus or are in vulnerable groups or have to self-isolate. That’s an unprecedented absence rate.

So what we have got is a really wicked combination - trusts trying to deal with a lot more demand than they have ever had before with a lot fewer staff than they have had before.

Hopson said that, while extra capacity was being brought in - including 4,000 beds at the ExCeL centre in London’s Docklands - hospital chief executives are concerned that it will be used up “very, very quickly”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Ideally they shouldnt have been brought back. We already had enough cases here to be dealing with but sure we are STILL tryna bring more back into the country.

Unfortunately, you can't just leave a load of people abroad in the middle of a global lockdown. Many could end up without accommodation, food or money.

That would end up being a disaster in its own right

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

citysights wrote: »
    According to the European Centre for Disease control the Irish intensive care system could be overwhelmed with critical covid patients.

This is very very serious if it unfolds like this.
    Reported on RTE news this morning.

Every Nation could be overwhelmed ,
    no doubt the government are doing something to combat this as we speak ,

People losing there **** over change of strategy on testing need to relax ,we are doing ok on the testing front , There was always going to be back logs with the amount of people turning up for tests ,
    Again its more of a problem caused by the People not the government ,

Can't blame the government for everything

Its the us people who will either save us or cause devastation with this,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

paul71 wrote: »
    So the solution is to allow the already overwhelmed Spainish health service make triage decisions on Irish holiday makers?

Or the soultion was dont go on fcukin holiday during a pandemic. They made their choice.

scamalert wrote: »
    pull your head ouf of the a$$, every second comment refers to how we dont have enough positive tests etc, hse doing their job right seems many still unhappy, as we dont have the numbers :cool: seems good few just waiting for it to go worse when reality its not getting as bad as it would be elswhere which is good, more testing does little at this stage, since as said if those are fine after 2-3 weeks wait theres no need to stress system, as seems critical ones are taken care off so that's about right.

I see you are aroused by the matter. Will leave you to your privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

Are you suggesting we just leave our people stranded and homeless in a foreign country in order to mitigate against the tiny chance they might have an infection which they can avoid spreading by self isolating when they get home anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Citizenship and solidarity trumps relatively low level risk, these people will have been isolated in their countries of origin anyway due to local measures over the last few weeks.

Any Irish people that want or need to return home in these times, for whatever reason, deserve to be accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just a quick one.,
    I was thinking would your green and black bins be a hot spot for catching the virus ?
    The bin men who collect them must touch hundreds of bin handles on there rounds then you go out and bring it in by the handle ,
    Just something people might have looked past ,

That's what I was thinking. In the north yesterday black bins were collected though it's up for review for blue bins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

kinda left of topic....but whats the story i wonder with these 7 russian war ships sniffing around the uk suddenly.

https://news.sky.com/story/royal-navy-shadows-russian-warships-after-high-levels-of-activity-in-channel-and-north-sea-11963865

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Spain has gone over 4,000 deaths.
    They really are turning into a 2nd Italy. Terrible stuff.

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/spain

My heart really goes out to Spain and the Spanish.

I will not forget though that their Government (also at Local level) has some responsibilities due to non banning large events.

On 3 March, post-mortem established that the virus caused one death in Valencia on 13 February (it was initially thought to be pneumonia).
    However, there were still no measures taken there at that time, and large events went ahead - for example the Las Fallas in Valencia.

This local article is dated 7 March: https://www.antena3.com/noticias/soc...0019c38f9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Or the soultion was dont go on fcukin holiday during a pandemic. They made their choice.

yup.
    looks like Spain started ramping up around St Patricks week roughly..

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Source:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/26/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-self-employed-rishi-sunakhospital-car-parking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england?page=with:block-5e7c6fb48f081e5eda23705c#block-5e7c6fb48f081e5eda23705c

London hospitals are facing a “continuous tsunami” of seriously-ill patients because of coronavirus, a health service leader said this morning. Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, which represents NHS trusts, used the phrase in an interview on the Today programme. Commenting on the situation in London, he said:

They are struggling with two things. The first is the explosion of demand they are seeing in seriously ill patients. They talk about wave after wave after wave - the word that’s often used to me is a continuous tsunami.

We are now seeing 30%, 40% and indeed in some places 50% sickness rates as staff catch the virus or are in vulnerable groups or have to self-isolate. That’s an unprecedented absence rate.

So what we have got is a really wicked combination - trusts trying to deal with a lot more demand than they have ever had before with a lot fewer staff than they have had before.

Hopson said that, while extra capacity was being brought in - including 4,000 beds at the ExCeL centre in London’s Docklands - hospital chief executives are concerned that it will be used up “very, very quickly”.

That's a real kicker. Has the effect of doubling the cases if you only have half the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

So you still want to lump an Irish problem on Spainish doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Well one thing I could easily see is if Irish holiday makers were getting the virus and needing treatment is a lot of the Spanish public demanding Spanish citizens get treatment over foreigners regardless of age or pre existing conditions. These are different times could easily see and understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Gynoid wrote: »
    Just as here, construction sites continue in Spain. And in Italy. At least we are learning now quite clearly who are the lobby groups with most political clout, and for whom money trumps worker's lives, health and safety in spite of all the moronic courses they constantly run and require to "ensure" workers well being. Get up the road, ye fork-tongued bread-heads.

The unions have called for closure of sites. Management says no. Government says not at present. The unions could force the issue. I suspect they will but it will take cases of the virus on sites to do so. I think it's only a delay in the inevitable, the sites will be closed within two weeks in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

dougm1970 wrote: »
    kinda left of topic....but whats the story i wonder with these 7 russian war ships sniffing around the uk suddenly.

https://news.sky.com/story/royal-navy-shadows-russian-warships-after-high-levels-of-activity-in-channel-and-north-sea-11963865

Interesting but totally off topic, unless they plan to come to London to help with the pandemic :)

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    So you still want to lump an Irish problem on Spainish doctors.

I didnt make them decide a pandemic was a lovely time for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

Well one thing I could easily see is if Irish holiday makers were getting the virus and needing treatment is a lot of the Spanish public demanding Spanish citizens get treatment over foreigners regardless of age or pre existing conditions. These are different times could easily see and understand it

And it would be well justified if there were some utterly insane political decision here not to allow our citizens back home. Fortunately we don't have lunatics in charge so that won't happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes yes yes, to the OP iwillyeah1234
    This is what has concerned me.

A mix of stress on the health system while hcw are affected. That point has been flagged months ago. Now we are seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

They do this quite often, they come into our airspace alot as well its to get a response time from the british navy and RAF tactical and mental warfare in some form

quokula wrote: »
    And it would be well justified if there were some utterly insane political decision here not to allow our citizens back home. Fortunately we don't have lunatics in charge so that won't happen.

Fortunately indeed. Keep importing as many as we can then wonder how we got so many cases.

The unions have called for closure of sites. Management says no. Government says not at present. The unions could force the issue. I suspect they will but it will take cases of the virus on sites to do so. I think it's only a delay in the inevitable, the sites will be closed within two weeks in my opinion.

They should be closed now. People are worried sick and being told you have a choice to not go to work. They don't. Parlon will have it on his head. But I bet he is nice and safe working from home or minimising contact, the fcuker

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

and 9 royal navy ships sent out to shadow that fleet..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-royal-navy-shadowing-seven-21757962

my guess is that because of the recent border trouble between Turkey and Greece, the Russians are just planning out another route to Syria, in case that Turkish/Greece spat breaks out into outright war ( the Greeks sent out their navy)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the unions have been making noises about issues around physical distancing not closing them. Some places seem better able to do that than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I just saw a pop up ad :
    Disposable surgical face masks available at The Mobility Shop at 3.69 Euro.
    I thought that was for 10, but no it was for ONE.
    Is that price gouging? Or has supplier put up price 10 or 20 fold?
    I bought my last box of 50 3M splash resistant masks from Boots at 9.99 Euro (or 20 cents each) at the end of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Conor McGregor has given a $1 Million donation of supplies to the HSE. Good gesture and badly needed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement