Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Anyone know if you have gone past the 14 days since first getting symptoms and only get the test then will it show up negative? I’d like to know if I had it or not so I could go out volunteering etc without having to worry. Still waiting on my test and it’ll be 14 days on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would have screamed at her get back C*** no time to be nice to these people.

Firm but polite is best for these situations.

Her 6ft bodybuilder son could be outside in the car and let's say things could escalate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Seamai wrote: »
    Given the seriousness of the situation it's perfectly acceptable to use the C word.

My post was serious not having anyone getting into my personal space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

elperello wrote: »
    Firm but polite is best for these situations.

Her 6ft bodybuilder son could be outside in the car and let's say things could escalate :)

Good Point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

irishgeo wrote: »
    If social distancing is being observed what's the problem. The government has not banned us from going out unless your showing symptoms or are a high risk group or a confirmed case.

Social distancing wasn't being observed in the Phoenix Park anyway at choke points like pedestrian entrances and car parks. The place is as busy as a bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

If things seem to be going in the right direction we need to double down not take our foot off the gas.
    Definitely. Always geniuses who view good news as a green light for complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Went to walk the dog this morning at 8am in war memorials no bother.
    Went again at 3...took one look and turned around not worth it... absolutely heaving with big groups of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If people won't observe social distance they won't observe a lock down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

My post was serious not having anyone getting into my personal space.

I know you were, I had to bark at one yesterday who kept creeping up behind me in a supermarket queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

For all the bedwetters and doom mongers...

‘Speaking earlier on RTÉ's This Week, Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health Dr Tony Holohan said there are "encouraging signs" that measures introduced to slow the spread of Covid-19 could be working’

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0322/1124644-coronavirus-tracker-updates/

The effects of what we have done were going to make a difference, for sure. No need to talk about full lockdowns in this country yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is there an amount of people who have to die before people take it seriously? Or has society broken down to the point where a day in the park is worth a few deaths??

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Gardai are about to close a beach in Donegal which is packed with tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Passed this today. A wood near Watergrasshill in Cork. If you told people to do it they wouldnt.

20200322_132545_17.jpg

Ive never seen cars up the road that far before, theres more cars around the bend

This is the problem, people have nothing to do. We've taken away everything. If numbers don't start to come down after 29 we are on full lockdown because people will not stay indoors if it is not having an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

The social distancing guidelines are being ignored.
    Flights from heavily infected areas are continuing to land in our airports.
    We've been slow to begin a nationwide testing system.
    Big delays in testing symptomatic people.

It's starting to look like the gov't are letting this spread and their only concern is limiting the pressure on the health service.

If they were serious about beating back the virus like the Chinese have - they'd have already implemented a more stringent lockdown.

I'm starting to think our strategy now is similar to the herd immunity adopted in the UK (although our gov't are stupid enough to admit it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They will if they are getting fined for being out for no good reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Not so encouraging if you're living with a vulnerable person.

How do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Impose martial law and shoot the miscreants on sight. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stewball wrote: »

It's starting to look like the gov't are letting this spread and their only concern is limiting the pressure on the health service.

If they were serious about beating back the virus like the Chinese have - they'd have already implemented a more stringent lockdown.

I'm starting to think our strategy now is similar to the herd immunity adopted in the UK (although our gov't are stupid enough to admit it).

What on earth are you on about..most of the flights arriving into Dublin are near empty and an awful lot cancelled.

The testing system here is a hell of alot better than in the UK and NI for example.

And how exactly are they letting it spread

statesaver wrote: »
    Do you believe the numbers coming out of China ? Oh, to be that innocent again.
    They tried cover up the outbreak.
    Lying to the WHO about human-to-human transmission after they knew it was happening. And didn't they threaten doctors.
    TheDoctor wrote: »
    Chinas numbers are absolute BS, don't even bother to factor them into to the overall number.

There's no reason to not believe the Chinese figures now. Or let's put it this way, if their actions didn't work then we might as well all give up and go back to work, high fiving most and snogging the hotties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

There's an air of complacency. People don't realise how bad it is. You can even see it on boards.ie with people metaphorically patting the government on the back for a job well done. They look at the released numbers and think it's not so bad. The waiting list for testing is huge. This is going to explode and it's not been taken seriously enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How have some had a test after 24 / 48 hours but others nearly waiting a week and over?

I have no idea. I've rang the National Ambulance Service 4 times in past few days about whats going on. I work in a massive hospital too, I was meant to be away today and for the next 9 days so at least I'm on annual leave now!

Its crazy. The nurse has even rang twice demanding that I be seen too but nothing yet :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how many people are likely to catch it walking in a forest?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

gazzer wrote: »
    Just wondering if members of the travelling community will be at a higher risk of getting infected due to their lower life expectancy and many living in small spaces in close proximity to each other. It's a genuine question and it may have been answered already so I don't want to turn into an US versus THEM response. I've been thinking about it for the last few days and hadn't seen anything mentioned about it.

I would imagine If they don’t have access to running water this hinder them washing hands.

ricero wrote: »
    Shocked by the crowds today in dun laoghaire. People queuing for coffee and ice cream and groups of people both young and old.

We've got to lock this mother****a down pronto.

You do know theres nothing wrong with people going out?

If they are within the family group that they went out with thats not an issue. Likewise the chances of being in contact with anyone long enough to get it are slim.

Yes people need to limit their social interaction but theres nothing wrong with going out at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

We are not allowed to comment on their behaviour on boards so I really don't care about them to be honest and those that say they do are just lying.
    Any group with extended family structures living in close proximity, especially those with bad general health outcomes, or general economic disadvantage are at greater risk of infection cluster formation, and higher than average adverse outcomes.

Blast! I meant to link to the original post.

Most of those flights are empty, as has been said. Social distancing is in fact working, as -- you know -- the shops and pubs being closed will testify to this.

And the government strategy was always to flatten the curve, not to eliminate the virus entirely, which would be near impossible.

The recent figures which show a slow down in the rate of increase of infection are encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Could do with a good week of 7 days of straight rain. As soon as this disyancing started we've had nothing but nice days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It was on the radio yesterday that people were being advised to get out over the weekend for their mental health ,ffs it's only been 1 week since pubs and schools closed and already being told to get out of the house .

You couldn't make some of this rubbish up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yeh see, this is not correct implementation

4G9P6b6.gif

I think i saw her in dunnes this morning, the nose sticking out

• Advertisement

Anyone know if you have gone past the 14 days since first getting symptoms and only get the test then will it show up negative? I’d like to know if I had it or not so I could go out volunteering etc without having to worry. Still waiting on my test and it’ll be 14 days on Wednesday.

What do you mean? Some patients who I saw who had it didn't even have symtoms. If a physician told you to self isolate until you get tested you need to stay in until you get tested even if symptoms go

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    This is the problem, people have nothing to do. We've taken away everything. If numbers don't start to come down after 29 we are on full lockdown because people will not stay indoors if it is not having an effect.

Oh ffs it's been what, 2 weeks? Not even? Nothing to do, people can do infinite amount of things with the internet. It's just selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

owlbethere wrote: »
    Were Irish Cheltenham goers asked to self isolate upon their return?

Anybody know

We were saying it last week or the week before that ideally that should be cancelled but that was up to the UK to do that. Irish people going should have reconsidered their plans and the government should have introduced quarantine measures.

We would be in a worse shape of the government didn't order the cancelling of the St Patricks day parades. They left it late to cancel them.

There's so much in the history books that could help us with this pandemic. Back in 1918 and the Spanish flu, Philadelphia held a parade which made the problem worse. Here is history repeating itself.

The main spreaders of the Spanish flu were soldiers from world war 1. When the war ended the spread of the flu slowed down because soldiers stopped travelling. Again, history has an answer for us that will help with this. The main spreaders with this Covid-19, are travellers/tourists.

No they weren't. And the virus was there, I know of many sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

FVP3 wrote: »
    The effects of what we have done were going to make a difference, for sure. No need to talk about full lockdowns in this country yet.

YES, there is.

You obviously are ignoring the posts previous to yours with graphic detail of people ignoring social distancing and pubs and cafes ignoring HSE advice.

Couple this with open airports and borders and people coming back into this country unchecked to potentially wipe out communities and the "voluntary" basis for self isolation are all massive ingredients for widespread contagion in a small period of time. Result, Health System implosion. Further result, massive number of deaths that could have been avoided, if people werent so fúcking selfish or stupid.

The constant mantra from Italy. Prepare, take quick decisive action, or you are next.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

What on earth are you on about..most of the flights arriving into Dublin are near empty and an awful lot cancelled.

In the next 60 minutes – flights from Bordeaux, London x2, Carcassonne, Paris, Amsterdam, Leeds, Birmingham, Lyon, Bristol will all land in Dublin Airport.

Those flights might not all be full but they’re certainly not empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You do know theres nothing wrong with people going out?

If they are within the family group that they went out with thats not an issue. Likewise the chances of being in contact with anyone long enough to get it are slim.

Yes people need to limit their social interaction but theres nothing wrong with going out at the moment

Some of these groups were not family groups

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »

Thats not the issue here. Its the fact that Phoenix park, st Anne's park etc are packed with walkers atm cause people are off and not sticking to guidelines. You'll bang off someone or even things like public toilets, public bins..

stay inside lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

silverharp wrote: »

The risk is low but still a risk. With more people there, the risk increases.
    Cars parked close together means people have to walk close to each other at the cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

In the next 60 minutes – flights from Bordeaux, London x2, Carcassonne, Paris, Amsterdam, Leeds, Birmingham, Lyon, Bristol will all land in Dublin Airport.

The uk is riddled with this, France as well. Why are these flights coming in?

The testing system here is a hell of alot better than in the UK and NI for example.

And how exactly are they letting it spread

I personally know of one confirmed case from Spain, flew back to Ireland whilst symptomatic, stopped in Tesco for the messages on the way home. Probably infected a good few in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Aer lingus will be running up to 6 flights a day to china to transport PPE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thats not the issue here. Its the fact that Phoenix park, st Anne's park etc are packed with walkers atm cause people are off and not sticking to guidelines. You'll bang off someone or even things like public toilets, public bins..

stay inside lads!

People in general just can’t sit fooking still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

timhenn wrote: »
    There's an air of complacency. People don't realise how bad it is. You can even see it on boards.ie with people metaphorically patting the government on the back for a job well done. They look at the released numbers and think it's not so bad. The waiting list for testing is huge. This is going to explode and it's not been taken seriously enough.

Totally agree, govt here constantly downplaying the situation and tapping their own back... they themselves admit there’s 40000 waiting to get tested!! And only 20000 testing kits coming next week ... we haven’t a clue of the numbers cause they’re not testing em!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

gozunda wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I mean that 80% of transmissions being in the household is fairly anxiety-inducing if you're living with someone vulnerable and already conscious/paranoid about this.
    I would really like to know how they can be sure where a transmission originated though, surely it's not an exact science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Reading back on this thread in a few months is going to be interesting to say the least...

Shn99 wrote: »
    Aer lingus will be running up to 6 flights a day to china to transport PPE

Link?

Sorry but I know someone working in the HSE at the airport, the place is empty, there is barely anyone on those flights or any others coming into Dublin. The DAA are massively scaling back operations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

timhenn wrote: »

It's a mix and the reality is somewhere in between.....you could also say by reading many on these forums is akin to we've been told a rock the size of Iceland is heading for earth and will hit within the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Someone needs to ban this a-hole for a start.

Hello re-reg :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

What do you mean? Some patients who I saw who had it didn't even have symtoms. If a physician told you to self isolate until you get tested you need to stay in until you get tested even if symptoms go

I started having symptoms two weeks on Wednesday. I’m still waiting on the test but if I get the test after the 2 weeks will I test negative even if I did have it? Will the virus be gone out of my body? All of the symptoms seemed to have dried up. Sorry if I’m not explaining it properly.

I think people have misinterpreted certain things. A walk is not necessarily forbidden. Walk to the shop or around the estate.

Thousands in a park is not what we want though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement