Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting article from Iceland, where the government plans to screen the entire population (on a voluntary basis):

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/03/15/first-results-of-general-population-screening-about-1-of-icelanders-with-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

FVP3 wrote: »
    The recent figures which show a slow down in the rate of increase of infection are encouraging.

The slow down over the weekend probably has more to do with the delay in testing.
    About 40000 waiting to be tested.

The implementation of the testing system has been very poorly managed.
    We've known this was coming 4/5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

LillySV wrote: »
    Totally agree, govt here constantly downplaying the situation and tapping their own back... they themselves admit there’s 40000 waiting to get tested!! And only 20000 testing kits coming next week ... we haven’t a clue of the numbers cause they’re not testing em!

Nobody is downplaying it. The gov are constantly in the media and online at the moment reminding people of all the measures.

Nobody is tapping their own back.

Think you need to re read what the gov are saying if you think that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We have someone who recently travelled from UK who is starting his first day of work with us on-site on Monday. Is it ok to impose self-isolation on them when I'm required to give them a local induction? We have lots of walk-in freezers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I personally know of one confirmed case from Spain, flew back to Ireland whilst symptomatic, stopped in Tesco for the messages on the way home. Probably infected a good few in there

People like that should be made work in the worst wards without pay when they recover as punishment. That way they will see what their stupidity is doing. Make them suffer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Does that mean 40 thousand tests waiting to be done or waiting for results.

It is 40,000 waiting to be done. It was said at the HSE briefing this morning.

This means that the newly arrived 40,000 test kits are going to used very quickly.

I personally know of one confirmed case from Spain, flew back to Ireland whilst symptomatic, stopped in Tesco for the messages on the way home. Probably infected a good few in there

Well that's that particular persons issue. They get told at the airport what to do.

If people are that stupid it's their own fault. cant blame anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stewball wrote: »
    The slow down over the weekend probably has more to do with the delay in testing.

Some people are never happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Speaking with friends and family recently(over the phone). I have heard on a few occasions that china have beaten the virus, with the implication being that in a similar time frame, Ireland will do the same. While people seem to realise that China undertook draconian measures, they have no idea what that entails.
    I found the video below fascinating, because it gives an insight into daily life in Nanjing, a city which was not even badly hit by covid19. Temperature testing is a part of daily life, employers keep a log of workers activity, citizens are tracked using digital ID and barriers used to limit movement.
    It is an understatement to say that we are way behind in implementing these measures. In fact, without an authoritarian state and biddable citizen, it can be argued that we could never achieve this level of compliance.
    I hope as many people as possible see this video, and realise what we, as a nation, must do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    As a complete aside, would anyone happen to know which Boards thread had recorded the most posts before Corona Virus?

The only threads I can think of are:

Paddy Jackson
    8th Amendment
    Anna Kriegel
    Graham Dwyer
    Donald Trump

September 11th was prior to smartphone.

Brexit?

Your talking some amount of crap.

Testing has been rolled out at a level never seen in this country.

If all you've got is to criticise then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Interesting article from Iceland, where the government plans to screen the entire population (on a voluntary basis):

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/03/15/first-results-of-general-population-screening-about-1-of-icelanders-with-coronavirus/

This is the right thing to do. Testing people who have vaguely similar symptoms is a waste of time. If we are to get any idea of how many cases there actually are then testing needs to be random and cover as much of society as possible. Given that a lot of people are asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Well that's that particular persons issue. They get told at the airport what to do

No they don’t, went through the airport Sunday, business as usual if a little quieter.

There are ass holes out there, going to the shops and busy parks means you bump into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

STB. wrote: »
    YES, there is.

You obviously are ignoring the posts previous to yours with graphic detail of people ignoring social distancing.

Couple this with open airports and borders and people coming back into this country unchecked to potentially wipe out communities and the "voluntary" basis for self isolation are all massive ingredients for widespread contagion in a small period of time. Result, Health System implosion. Further result, massive number of deaths that could have been avoided, if people werent so fúcking selfish or stupid.

The constant mantra from Italy. Prepare, take quick decisive action, or you are next.

Let's see shall we, if the rate of increase slows with the existing measures.

I don't think Ireland could enforce a full lockin for everybody's house anyway; in China entire apartment blocks could be locked down, but we mostly live in houses. A policeman in every street in every housting estate dragging adults back to their houses is probably not achievable, or desirable. And may in fact backfire if attempted. However if the facts change and rate of increase continues to accelerate I will change my opinion on that.

The measures we have already taken are unprecedented in peacetime. We should perhaps close any existing markets or tourist attractions ( including maybe parks and beaches) where social distancing isn't happening. From what I see in the supermarket today, people are very careful and queues are marked with the 2 metre distance, and adhered to, as was the control of who got into the shop.

stopping people going for a walk isn't going to affect much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

youtube! wrote: »
    They need to do random testing right now say pick 300 people from across the country and cities and test them every couple of days for two weeks then we will get a decent idea of how prevalent it is and how rapidly it is spreading . Dont choose those on self isolation but rather choose folk who have to go out to work .

Have you followed up with anyone? Have you any symptoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Inquitus wrote: »
    Brexit?

Blur or Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I think people have misinterpreted certain things. A walk is not necessarily forbidden. Walk to the shop or around the estate.

Thousands in a park is not what we want though.

Indeed, where I live, a popular walk is beside the local canal - there were a few around, but generally keeping a social distance from one another, so little danger of any physical contact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Shn99 wrote: »
    Aer lingus will be running up to 6 flights a day to china to transport PPE

Aer Lingus don't operate to and from China. What are you talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

It's a serious **** up. Itcan'tbe brushed under the carpet. Soon it will become clear just how bad it is and just how far behind those in charge are.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Some people are never happy

And some don't live in cloud cuckoo land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gibraltar on total lockdown from midnight Tuesday

https://twitter.com/GBCNewsroom/status/1241741912454975491?s=19

No they don’t, went through the airport Sunday, business as usual if a little quieter.

There are ass holes out there, going to the shops and busy parks means you bump into them.

Eh yes they do. Public health officials are meeting every flight coming in from spain and thats a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I started having symptoms two weeks on Wednesday. I’m still waiting on the test but if I get the test after the 2 weeks will I test negative even if I did have it? Will the virus be gone out of my body? All of the symptoms seemed to have dried up. Sorry if I’m not explaining it properly.

There are plenty of people who show no signs nor symptoms yet are carriers all the same. They are out and about mixing in society.

What advice were you given ? "Voluntaraily" stay at home. What about people you have recently interacted with ? Are they self isolating ?

Plenty of people are not taking this seriously. Some are reading the figures as if we have defeated the issue and it'll be back to "normal" soon. All nonsense. Reality is that its long finger testing.

This is going to go on for a long time. The key is having enough beds, staff and quipment to handle it over months. If it all snowballs quickly, we are fúcked, and will have countless needless fatalities.

I started having symptoms two weeks on Wednesday. I’m still waiting on the test but if I get the test after the 2 weeks will I test negative even if I did have it? Will the virus be gone out of my body? All of the symptoms seemed to have dried up. Sorry if I’m not explaining it properly.
    To Quote Beasty the MOD
    It is against site rules to seek or offer any medical advice. Please do not post here about your symptoms asking what to do. Contact your doctor by telephone and they can advise you as appropriate
    Phone the HSE we do not have medical backgrounds.

Eh yes they do. Public health officials are meeting every flight coming in from spain and thats a fact.

No they have a stand at arrivals and cabin crew make an announcement that suggesting that you go speak with them. That’s a fact.

timhenn wrote: »
    It's a serious **** up. Itcan'tbe brushed under the carpet. Soon it will become clear just how bad it is and just how far behind those in charge are.

Who's brushing anything under the carpet. Theres a response in this country that's never been seen before.

If your just going to criticise then sign up to help the hse. If not then jog on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pH wrote:
    Which part?

Where is the official announcement we're no longer following Leo's original strategy of 60% infected and 90,000 deaths?

Perhaps you can quote his new figures for total infected and deaths?
    It's not a strategy..
    It was never a strategy by Leo or anyone in Ireland

It was a statement of what models were saying was going to happen if we did nothing

Please work out the difference between a statement of fact(the models prediction) and a strategy before posting rubbish

No they have a stand at arrivals and cabin crew make an announcement that suggesting that you go speak with them. That’s a fact.

They have a stand yes, they are meeting high risk flights too. Just because it wasn't your experience doesn't mean it's not happening

I think people have misinterpreted certain things. A walk is not necessarily forbidden. Walk to the shop or around the estate.

Thousands in a park is not what we want though.

Actually the lockdown supporters want everybody in their houses indefinitely, policed by the gestapo we don't have. Not yet anyway.

The chinese and korea way of tracking people might make more sense, if we know who is sick, and who isn't, who is cured and who isn't we can make smart decisions on who is going back to work and who isn't. This problem is calling for a technological solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Not necessarily, a small % of were still testing positive after 35 days.

Believe I saw that in cases similar to yours two, time spaced, blood tests necessary to confirm. AFAIR

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Who's brushing anything under the carpet. Theres a response in this country that's never been seen before.

If your just going to criticise then sign up to help the hse. If not then jog on

When's the last time we had covid 19? :confused:

The response is too late! Can't you see that? Things should have been done ages ago, long before Leo was swanning off to America and back!

Are you disputing the 40000 waiting for tests given to us by the HSE?

I'm not disagreeing with you over the roll out of testing centres nationwide - unfortunately work only started on many of them in the last 2/3 days.

Why didn't it start two weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

spookwoman wrote: »
    To Quote Beasty the MOD
    It is against site rules to seek or offer any medical advice. Please do not post here about your symptoms asking what to do. Contact your doctor by telephone and they can advise you as appropriate
    Phone the HSE we do not have medical backgrounds.

You are not a mod so keep out of it

Edit: He is asking for advice on whether he might test positive or not after two weeks which is a legitimate question. He has sought medical advice as he is waiting for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

You went through the airport yourself on Sunday but you're ranting about it? What?

They have a stand yes, they are meeting high risk flights too. Just because it wasn't your experience doesn't mean it's not happening

Your spreading nonsense. Spoken to several passengers including the confirmed case from Spain on Monday evening. Same as I experienced, it’s possible they have met a couple of flights, vast majority in unchecked.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Actually the lockdown supporters want everybody in their houses indefinitely, policed by the gestapo we don't have. Not yet anyway.

The chinese and korea way of tracking people might make more sense, if we know who is sick, and who isn't, who is cured and who isn't we can make smart decisions on who is going back to work and who isn't. This problem is calling for a technological solution.

40k people waiting on tests we don't know who is infected and who is not so that is not going to work

Mwengwe wrote: »
    You went through the airport yourself on Sunday but you're ranting about it? What?

I’m in isolation since then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Aer Lingus don't operate to and from China. What are you talking about?

No they dont, but they are being chartered to collect some of the €210m worth of PPE that has been ordered, will be other airlines such as Xiamen Air and Air China transporting it over too. Delta Airlines are sending an A350 aircraft to Dublin tomorrow to collect ventilators from Medtronic that the USA have ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

STB. wrote: »
    e.

Couple this with open airports and borders and people coming back into this country unchecked to potentially wipe out communities and the "voluntary" basis for self isolation are all massive ingredients for widespread contagion in a small period of time. Result, Health System implosion. Further result, massive number of deaths that could have been avoided, if people werent so fúcking selfish or stupid.

A cousin of mine came back from a holiday and went to see her elderly father straight away. Now she might be in the minority, but the actions of a minority could undermine the effort to slow the spread. With this in mind I don't understand the government not grounding flights if they want to be seen as proactive and taking all possible measure to slow the spread, why risk waiting to see if numbers increase before doing so.

• Advertisement

Time to take a break from here and go for a walk.

Some absolute head cases online this afternoon talking utter rubbish.

If those that just want to criticise behind a keyboard and do nothing to help would like to sign up and help the HSE then sign up here https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/oncall/

If not then stop complaining about them if your not prepared to do you bit. The same people probably ran out to the shops last week and panic bought and now complain about people going for walks.

Rant over

No they dont, but they are being chartered to collect some of the €210m worth of PPE that has been ordered, will be other airlines such as Xiamen Air and Air China transporting it over too. Delta Airlines are sending an A350 aircraft to Dublin tomorrow to collect ventilators from Medtronic that the USA have ordered.

Treyvalians corn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Also, how can we be sure we're getting true "day-on-day" results and that the figures published on any particular day all relate to tests taken a consistent number of days beforehand. In other words, a consistent time lapse between test and result should be maintained, and no *late results from any given day should be transferred to a later day's figures.

*late results could be flagged as such and retrospectively added to the relevant previous figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

20 new cases in NI - RTE

Is there any history given with these new cases?

Are they related to travel?
    Community transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Treyvalians corn

?

Your spreading nonsense. Spoken to several passengers including the confirmed case from Spain on Monday evening. Same as I experienced, it’s possible they have met a couple of flights, vast majority in unchecked.

Fair play to you. Pat yourself on the back.

Like I said it's happening, I've spoken to the people doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The word 'on the frontline' is being overused now. Comparing a supermarket worker to a critical care physician is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Treyvalians corn

Cop on. More horse manure.

We will run short of staff trained to operate the ventilators before we ever run out of the ventilators themselves.

Fair play to you. Pat yourself on the back.

Like I said it's happening, I've spoken to the people doing it.

Your Fine Gael spins doctors

spookwoman wrote: »
    40k people waiting on tests we don't know who is infected and who is not so that is not going to work

The 40K are waiting on tests because we have increased the number of tests we are doing, and thus more people qualify for the tests. A mere week ago I was refused a test because, although I had a respiratory illness, I had not met anybody who was a known carrier. They seem to have relaxed the criteria.

Eventually we will test these people, and then test more people. Most will not have the virus.

What we are doing now is probably going to be effective enough to flatten the curve, which is all that the government ever claimed they were trying to do.

For people who are at risk and the elderly, they should self isolate fully, as in not leave the house.

For everybody else, a walk is perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The word 'on the frontline' is being overused now. Comparing a supermarket worker to a critical care physician is a bit much.

I would agree that frontline is a bit lively to be applied to a supermarket worker. But I think we can all agree that those working in the supermarket are helping to keep an essential service, i.e. access to food, open and deserve due respect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement