Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part X - 1,564 cases ROI (9 deaths) 209 in NI (7 deaths) (25 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

timhenn wrote: »
    They've made the wrong call weeks if not months ago! The chose finance over people's lives which will result in large numbers of deaths and a collapse of the economy. This is worse than ff in the naughties.

You're talking out your hole. We're in an excellent position and we'd be in an even better position if knobenfs didn't ignore the recommendations. They'll be dealt with too if the need arises.

They've made the wrong call weeks if not months ago! The chose finance over people's lives which will result in large numbers of deaths and a collapse of the economy. This is worse than ff in the naughties.

Double post

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have we any figures for Ireland today?

Usually between 6 and 9pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

threeball wrote: »
    You're talking out your hole. We're in an excellent position and we'd be in an even better position if knobenfs didn't ignore the recommendations. They'll be dealt with too if the need arises.

Excellent position? 40,000 waiting for tests, not enough kits available to test them all. Flights still flying in from the uk and France and all over.

The numbers who have this are huge, way bigger than the official figures. fg have ****ed this up big style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's not a strategy..
    It was never a strategy by Leo or anyone in Ireland

It was a statement of what models were saying was going to happen if we did nothing

Please work out the difference between a statement of fact(the models prediction) and a strategy before posting rubbish

Of it was a strategy (and still is)

On 9th March Leo announced the overall expected cases (60%) and deaths 90,000.

And on the 12th Match Leo announced his 'flattening of the curve' measures designed to get the country up to those numbers a little more slowly (i.e. the UK's original plan of mitigation)

On the 17th March we got some waffle about capes and superheroes.

At no stage has the Irish gov (or Leo) stated clearly that they have abandoned their original strategy of throwing the elderly and vulnerable to the wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did RTE's Claire Byrne test positive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whats the latest on the Irish lads that produced the test kit that returns a result in 15 mins. That would be a game changer if it worked as promised.
    Just at the pilot stage. There seem to be a few others as well.
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/coronavirus-testing-kit-ireland-assay-genie

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Andrew00 wrote: »
    There's a pub local to me (rural) that's currently open letting the alcoholics in via the back door?

Should I call the Guards and report it?

Did you call the Gardaí? I would be interested to know what the response was. It's an absolute disgrace that some pubs are still remaining open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Excellent position? 40,000 waiting for tests, not enough kits available to test them all. Flights still flying in from the uk and France and all over.

The numbers who have this are huge, way bigger than the official figures. fg have ****ed this up big style.

How has FG effed this up?

If you want to blame anyone, maybe China is the place to start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did you call the Gardaí? I would be interested to know what the response was. It's an absolute disgrace that some pubs are still remaining open.

Is it illegal at present for a public house to sell alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Reading over the past few Coronavirus threads has really made me appreciate the truth of a quote from an iconic movie villain.

"You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other." - The Joker
    For just being vigilant about stemming the spread of this devastating virus?

Some people are more concerned about people being nice, than the pandemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

David Morales is playing live on Instagram right now :)

House music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

walshb wrote: »

He's a shinner on some rant here the last 24 hours trying to blame FG for everything.

If you announce travel restrictions people will panic and fly back home bringing cases with them to parts of the country not yet hit. As it is barely anyone is flying.

Every country is waiting on kits and PPE. Some are even hijacking them enroute to areas decimated by the disease. We have 14 people in ICU, 3 dead and a pretty good adherence to social distancing.

But you carry on with your political point scoring. Mary Lou will take over shortly and you'll be happy out.

China is thousands of miles away. We're a tiny island. Action needed to be taken but fg were asleep at the wheel. They chose the economy over people and will end up killing both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Reading over the past few Coronavirus threads has really made me appreciate the truth of a quote from an iconic movie villain.

"You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other." - The Joker

Steady on there Batman :rolleyes:

You should have a reread of those threads as I have seen many posters offering lots of practical advice, as well as offering to help deliver goods to other vulnerable members of the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Did RTE's Claire Byrne test positive ?

From what people have said on this forum, no she didn't.

Is it illegal at present for a public house to sell alcohol?

No I think there is a 'voluntary closure agreement' in place, arranged between the govt. and the LVA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

If you announce travel restrictions people will panic and fly back home bringing cases with them to parts of the country not yet hit. As it is barely anyone is flying.

Every country is waiting on kits and PPE. Some are even hijacking them enroute to areas decimated by the disease. We have 14 people in ICU, 3 dead and a pretty good adherence to social distancing.

But you carry on with your political point scoring. Mary Lou will take over shortly and you'll be happy out.

We have 29 in ICU due to coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

China is thousands of miles away. We're a tiny island. Action needed to be taken but fg were asleep at the wheel. They chose the economy over people and will end up killing both.

I wonder does this amount to a derailing of the thread? This poster is consistently trying to stem the talk of what’s happening with the virus and turn it into a political debate at a time when we need a national, all Ireland, European and global approach to defeating this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I dislike FG quite a lot, but it's crazy to entirely blame them for this. Virtually every country has been impacted by this virus, no matter the steps they took.

It was going to happen and sitting around blaming various political parties isn't going to help.

Do you think if fg were procative we'd have a waiting list the size of 40,000? Would we have a shortage of kits? Of course not. We would have been ahead of the game but no, fg sat on their arses or flew off to America.

The numbers for this are huge, defending fg won't stop them from rising. Defending fg won't stop people you know getting sick. Maybe then you won't be as quick to pat them on the back for this catastrophe.

Let's hope they all fall down. natural selection!!!
    Unlikely to be them, far more likely to be their 75 year old granny or their Dad's friend 'Charlie' whose just survived a heart-attack and is currently "recovering well at home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

splinter65 wrote: »
    Kidchameleon gets into a thread, establishes which way the flow is going , then resolves to swim against the tide irregardless of how ludicrous that may seem.
    In the Ana Kruegel thread he/she decided that Anas parents were partially to blame for her murder, and that Boy Bs father was an exemplary parent, from whom we could all learn a thing or two. That’s the sort of thing? Just so you know what your engaging with.

The clue was is his name:pac:

Reports that Lombardy death total today is 360, yesterday's was 546.

I wonder does this amount to a derailing of the thread? This poster is consistently trying to stem the talk of what’s happening with the virus and turn it into a political debate at a time when we need a national, all Ireland, European and global approach to defeating this.

I'm not the one trying to make this political!

This is a major crisis and fg are in control of our actions to fight against it. Their actions or lack of actions has and will play a massive role in those who get sick and die from this.

Stop letting your politics get in the way of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's up to whoever is in government to protect its citizens even if the virus came from Timbuktu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Do you not remember what it was like to be that age?

Most of the people on this thread don’t remember what it was like to be outside, let alone a teenager.

And to do stupid things for the craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To be quite honest the blame game is for 2021/22 or whenever we get this under control and I’m sure we’ll be hearing about what should have and could have been done for the next 100 years, but right now we all need to be on the same page in getting this thing dealt with.

I’m worrying a bit about Trump in particular as his first instinct was to attempt to use it for power or financial gain by trying to grab that vaccine from a German R&D centre and seemed to be constantly trying to game this.

Hopefully he’s changed his tune and will want to be part of the solution to this, but I have my doubts. It’s not even very “American”. It’s just Trump being Trump. He’s managed to undermine efforts domestically too.

Anyway, to cut a long post short: I just don’t think now is the time for the political snipes. If you’ve good ideas, bring them forward, throw them out there and get them into the agenda.

The only ideology right now is get through this. We’ll cross all the other bridges when we get to them and we will probably be doing that as an entire Eurozone, EU and global community. It’s been a great leveller in some ways - were all in more or less the same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Aer Lingus don't operate to and from China. What are you talking about?
    You need to learn to ignore the bedwetters. You’ll wind yourself up to the max

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/irish-trapped-in-peruvian-coronavirus-lockdown-to-be-rescued-39065571.html

They are paying Aer Lingus to do China freight flights.

If you are trying to be smart don't be stupid.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I dislike FG quite a lot, but it's crazy to entirely blame them for this. Virtually every country has been impacted by this virus, no matter the steps they took.

It was going to happen and sitting around blaming various political parties isn't going to help.

Ifit was any other political party I'd be saying the same. They are still not doing enough! We need to end the complacency. This is far worse than the numbers released. Flights are still coming in from all over. Infected people are still roaming free.

Nermal wrote: »
    Most of the people on this thread don’t remember what it was like to be outside, let alone a teenager.
    Would you like me to describe what the sun looks like? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A "senior politician" is in self-isolation after contact with the RTE staff member who tested positive:

https://twitter.com/fionnansheahan/status/1241765791541927937

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Ficheall wrote: »
    He's doing an AMA here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219

How long do you think it takes to transmit the virus? Because it sounds like you're wrong.

Reading that thread right now, he's being pretty intense, flat-out saying health workers here are going to die in the next few weeks. Could be right, hope he's not, but a bit suprised that he's saying things like that under the guise of being a HSE consultant

• Advertisement

It’s fairly inevitable you’ll see politicians picking this up. Should be anything to be hushed up. If anything they could give strong leadership by being public about it.

A "senior politician" is in self-isolation after contact with the RTE staff member who tested positive:

Yeah and these geniuses are who we have running the state during this crisis. We're in safe hands. :rolleyes:

Xertz wrote: »

<Political snipe>

<Political snipe>

<Political snipe>

Anyway, to cut a long post short: I just don’t think now is the time for the political snipes.

?

Stop wetting your bed

I'm beginning to think you have some kind of weird pee fetish as you keep repeating this.

Chip on your shoulder and a bit angsty cus you can't get access to your usual "services"?

You're like a broken record with that excuse. Over the years I've seen you use it to excuse appalling behaviour, like quad bike scumminess. I suspect you were a nightmare of a teen yourself and are trying to deflect. Not all teenagers are selfish sh1ts, sorry.

They are still responsible for their own behaviour - they're not babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

FVP3 wrote: »
    The 40K are waiting on tests because we have increased the number of tests we are doing, and thus more people qualify for the tests. A mere week ago I was refused a test because, although I had a respiratory illness, I had not met anybody who was a known carrier. They seem to have relaxed the criteria.

Eventually we will test these people, and then test more people. Most will not have the virus.

What we are doing now is probably going to be effective enough to flatten the curve, which is all that the government ever claimed they were trying to do.

For people who are at risk and the elderly, they should self isolate fully, as in not leave the house.

For everybody else, a walk is perfectly fine.

Great post. Fully agree with you on all points.

The most sensible post I’ve seen on the thread today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

holyhead wrote: »
    I would agree that frontline is a bit lively to be applied to a supermarket worker. But I think we can all agree that those working in the supermarket are helping to keep an essential service, i.e. access to food, open and deserve due respect.

And if that worker tests positive then they will have to lay off all of that shift. Shops could easily end up closing with staff in quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Let the guessing game begin!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Reading that thread right now, he's being pretty intense, flat-out saying health workers here are going to die in the next few weeks. Could be right, hope he's not, but a bit suprised that he's saying things like that under the guise of being a HSE consultant
    Has adopted a very forthright position on this from the start. While acknowledging it is not their specialist area some good medical insights. On the social side, plans and the like not so much.

Think I’m going to take a break from boards and certainly this thread. Melting my head. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hmm o callaghans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yeah and these geniuses are who we have running the state during this crisis. We're in safe hands. :rolleyes:
    What does that have to do with anything? You expect our government to sit at home?

You'd be complaining if he wasn't out and about. Some people will contract the virus because their jobs require dealing with people. The aim is to stem it, completely stopping it isn't possible.

Xertz wrote: »
    Think I’m going to take a break from boards and certainly this thread. Melting my head. Sorry.

See you in an hour or two :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

splinter65 wrote: »
    Kidchameleon gets into a thread, establishes which way the flow is going , then resolves to swim against the tide irregardless of how ludicrous that may seem.
    In the Ana Kruegel thread he/she decided that Anas parents were partially to blame for her murder, and that Boy Bs father was an exemplary parent, from whom we could all learn a thing or two. That’s the sort of thing? Just so you know what your engaging with.

Thank you. I think he/she is a apt as they were claiming to be both in different posts the Women's only Professorships thread....

User name is apt,.... I'm female... Then,.... I am a male...

Sad that he/she would be posting negative stuff about Anna Kruegel's parents. Says a lot in itself. Someone obviously loves the attention of a differing view. Surprised they have not been popped for trolling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement