Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

My GP has just retired ,he's been I'll,I've no current go,who do I call regarding getting tested? Anybody know?

You can call any gp for referral, but you will need to wait until tomorrow as out of hours gp cant do it

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Have been waiting since Wednesday morning for a call for a test, does that seem excessively long? I’m in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Have been waiting since Wednesday morning for a call for a test, does that seem excessively long? I’m in Dublin

No I’m Wednesday evening and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

If it’s any consolation to the poster whose GP said it would be a three week wait for testing, there’s no way that the GP can know that. It’s a rapidly evolving situation and the people in charge don’t even seem to know how long the wait time will be on any given day in the future. 30,000 new test kits have just arrived in the country, with 20,000 more due next week, and new test centres are being built as we speak. They also seem to be triaging people (to some extent) based on how urgently they need a test, from what I hear anecdotally.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Seems 5 - 7 days wait this week !

Maybe it’s cause they ran out of tests and don’t have enough test centres set up ??

Nothing would surprise me anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Going by posts here and wait times to get tested the numbers next week and week after could be huge. A friend got tested last after a 6 day wait and had results in 3 days . Negative but looking like a huge number of currently being tested or waiting.

Is there any data online showing how long the symptoms last if you do indeed have it? I’ve been having symptoms for almost two weeks which seems a fair long time, I have no fever, but head cold and occasional pressure on chest. Like for people that recover how long on average does it take to work through their system until it’s gone?

ITs mad!
    Dr Ciara Kelly from Newstalk got tested and results back in 2 days and that was only last weekend - or do 'some' people get tested quicker than others.

I've had symptoms since St Patricks Day, waiting on a test since last Wednesday (Louth).

Does this mean people can have it and recover before they ever get tested? Surely this will skew the figures completely that are being reported and actual positive tests are far higher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is short of breath alone a symptom? Sure I’m tired but I have a non sleeping 17 month old so that’s not surprising. I’m asthmatic so I’m back on my inhalers obviously but just finding it tough to take a deep breath. I have cough variant asthma so I don’t normally feel like this even when I’m bad. No cough. Bit headachy. Bit sinus’s but I get hay fever. Not sure if it’s just anxiety to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Is short of breath alone a symptom? Sure I’m tired but I have a non sleeping 17 month old so that’s not surprising. I’m asthmatic so I’m back on my inhalers obviously but just finding it tough to take a deep breath. I have cough variant asthma so I don’t normally feel like this even when I’m bad. No cough. Bit headachy. Bit sinus’s but I get hay fever. Not sure if it’s just anxiety to be honest

I spoke to my GP on Friday morning about:

- tight chest
    - shortness in breathing
    - mild cough
    - running nose, slightly raw throat
    (since added headaches on Friday only)

and added to that he said because I've mild asthma, I'm in a higher-risk category. C19 is respiratory-based, so our asthma doesn't help. He told me to pick up new inhalers as a precaution (that is, sent a family member to pick up). He recommended a test and instructed isolation.

Hope that answers a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Phone a doctor and get your name on the waiting list. They're not triaging at the moment akaik so best to find out sooner rather than when you're not fit to call an ambulance and then having to arrange a test, await results, etc.

THIS - its so hard to know. I think a lot of us presume its psychosomatic because we are being told all day every day about "symptoms". Maybe what we have is just a normal bug, tiredness, stress, a bit of a cold etc. But in these times how are you meant to know?

I TOLD my GP I was sure I did not have Covid 19 as my symptoms are exactly the same as the ones I had in January when I had the worse dry cough in my life that went on for 6 weeks, plus tiredness. It came back this week out of the blue along with difficulty taking deep breaths and pain in my chest. Also raw throat. So I'm off work for 14 days and waiting Covid test - at this rate symptoms will be gone as I'm already feeling much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ll ring the GP tomorrow so and be sure. Thanks. My five year old did just have a shocking dose with temps for nearly a straight week and is still coughing so tbh I could just have whatever he did. I genuinely just thought it was in my head but I’ve been making the effort to get ‘me time me. Tried to go for a walk last night and really struggled. It’s frustrating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

ITs mad!
    Dr Ciara Kelly from Newstalk got tested and results back in 2 days and that was only last weekend - or do 'some' people get tested quicker than others.

I've had symptoms since St Patricks Day, waiting on a test since last Wednesday (Louth).

Does this mean people can have it and recover before they ever get tested? Surely this will skew the figures completely that are being reported and actual positive tests are far higher ?

We all know why some people are waiting longer than others, but its just not talked about.

Same old shoite in this country, oh she's a doctor, he's a tv presenter, they're a high profile person.

You could be guaranteed if you were any of those people mentioned above or in the public eye you'd be sorted fairly fast.

THIS - its so hard to know. I think a lot of us presume its psychosomatic because we are being told all day every day about "symptoms". Maybe what we have is just a normal bug, tiredness, stress, a bit of a cold etc. But in these times how are you meant to know?

I TOLD my GP I was sure I did not have Covid 19 as my symptoms are exactly the same as the ones I had in January when I had the worse dry cough in my life that went on for 6 weeks, plus tiredness. It came back this week out of the blue along with difficulty taking deep breaths and pain in my chest. Also raw throat. So I'm off work for 14 days and waiting Covid test - at this rate symptoms will be gone as I'm already feeling much better.

It’s difficult to say, anxiety can play tricks on your mind particularly around breathing as it can slow/speed up your breathing etc so it’s hard to know what’s what, I would be convinced i had it if i had a fever but I don’t so I’m 50/50.

I will say on Thursday evening I couldn’t breathe, tightness on chest etc, struggling for air, my friend called ambulance, when they came they checked temp and used an Oximeter (this checks oxygen levels in blood) my level was perfect, I couldn’t understand it as i felt like i was suffocating, ambulance man said if i was suffocating I wouldn’t be able to speak to him and wouldn’t get a good reading, crazy it felt so real but who knows, they just said get tested and on they went, still playing on my mind but a lot of people are freaking themselves out from reading stuff online and the stories from italy are terrifying being honest, from today I’m not reading any more online about it and just will wait for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Do we know if the Doctors / testers are using the data from the contract tracing to prioritise the testing. In the briefing yesterday they seamed to have a good mapping of the spread in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My brother in France a non smoking very healthy 44 year old assumes he is on day 8 of his covid19 infection. He’s self isolating at home treating himself with paracetemol. Started with 2 days of diarrhea moved on to a horrific persistent cough with very high temps. He maintains that the diarrhea is the no 1 symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I called my gp last Tuesday, got tested in Croker on Wednesday, but haven't heard anything since. Anyone know how long results are taking?

That's unfortunate for him.
    Maybe hes allergic to paracetemol.
    Edit: to clarify that's a joke, not a good one..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

splinter65 wrote: »
    My brother in France a non smoking very healthy 44 year old assumes he is on day 8 of his covid19 infection. He’s self isolating at home treating himself with paracetemol. Started with 2 days of diarrhea moved on to a horrific persistent cough with very high temps. He maintains that the diarrhea is the no 1 symptom.

so thats why the bogroll is selling out:cool:

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    so thats why the bogroll is selling out:cool:

Possibly!

antix80 wrote: »
    That's unfortunate for him.
    Maybe hes allergic to paracetemol.

No he only started taking the paracetamol to bring down his temperature. He had no other symptoms before the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Honestly they are doing the best they can with the testing. They have a system and they are getting things up to speed as quick as they can. Yes it could be more efficient but just look at the UK where very little if any testing is doing anything.

Getting the test and getting the result if you have it won't change the self isolation that people should be practicing. Yes it changes and may mean others near them are at risk but they should be self isolating now. They don't give you a magic pill to get better.

I agree people in health care need the results asap so if negative can get back to work.

Those with symptoms properly self isolate those who don't continue with the social distancing.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No he only started taking the paracetamol to bring down his temperature. He had no other symptoms before the runs.

To clarify that was a joke, not a good one..
    There's a lot of symptoms ppl can get from this infection. Diarrhea is one but doesn't seem to be as common.

Sorry, lost the link but miami herald quoted a study in China.. Patients who suffered diarrhea as a symptom had a higher risk of dying.

It makes sense, if you have a poor appetite and losing fluids and nutrients, and this virus lasts over a week your body won't do a great job at fighting it.

I think he should get medical attention. Failing that, keep an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

antix80 wrote: »
    Patients who suffered diarrhea as a symptom had a higher risk of dying.

It makes sense, if you have a poor appetite and losing fluids and nutrients, and this virus lasts over a week your body won't do a great job at fighting it.

I think he should get medical attention. Failing that, keep an eye on him.

One of the things I've read is that people with diarrhoea as the earlier symptoms were later getting treatment as they assumed they just had a tummy bug not Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I was put forward last Saturday as in a week ago getting tested tmrw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

40,000 waiting to be tested according to the HSE

13,000 tests carried out

Still waiting for test, nasty dose whatever it is I have, think it's better then it comes back for another round, got past fever and dry cough stage went through 3 cough bottles and sore back from coughing, thought had shaken it and now have various aches and pains and shortness of breath, trying to rest and avoid the news

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

40,000 waiting to be tested according to the HSE

13,000 tests carried out
    Wow that's a lot hopefully they can start getting lot tested this week with new test centres.
    For people who think the numbers announced each day is low they should also hear this number.
    40,000 with symptoms sure lot these live with at least once other person so thousands I expect with Corona let's hope the hospital s can cope big week ahead for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Waiting since last Saturday, got a text this morning, getting tested tmrw in a drive through centre

Advertisement