Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauzzels

Woke up Friday morning with an inflamed & sore throat. Called my GP and he put me on an antibiotic, told me to self isolate and has referred me for a test.
    By Friday night I had developed a cough and shortness of breath. It feels quite like a chest infection to me. He didn't deem it necessary for my husband to self isolate which I thought a bit strange, and now since late Saturday he has developed a cough.
    This morning I've spent 30 mins trying to get in touch with the surgery, hoping to get him referred for testing also but calls just aren't going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

lauzzels wrote: »
    Woke up Friday morning with an inflamed & sore throat. Called my GP and he put me on an antibiotic, told me to self isolate and has referred me for a test.
    By Friday night I had developed a cough and shortness of breath. It feels quite like a chest infection to me. He didn't deem it necessary for my husband to self isolate which I thought a bit strange, and now since late Saturday he has developed a cough.
    I've spent 30 mins trying to get in touch with the surgery, hoping to get him referred for testing also but calls just aren't going through.

Ridiculous that the GP didn't seem it necessary fir your husband to self isolate when it was almost certainly passed on to him. Most cases of transmission occur in the home as documented in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

lauzzels wrote:
    Woke up Friday morning with an inflamed & sore throat. Called my GP and he put me on an antibiotic, told me to self isolate and has referred me for a test. By Friday night I had developed a cough and shortness of breath. It feels quite like a chest infection to me. He didn't deem it necessary for my husband to self isolate which I thought a bit strange, and now since late Saturday he has developed a cough. This morning I've spent 30 mins trying to get in touch with the surgery, hoping to get him referred for testing also but calls just aren't going through.

Most GPs have the forms online and will call you back. Check the surgery website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

stevek93 wrote: »
    HSE wouldn't test me as I didn't meet their criteria, now a month later I now do meet the criteria and waiting to be tested. :confused: Since then I have been deemed better by my doctor I feel better but a few close family I have been in contact now are showing symptoms.

So you had symptoms, you got better, and your family may have caught what you had.

I don't know what the criteria for testing was a month ago but if you weren't in contact with people who had it I don't think they were testing for it. I believe people with symptoms were still advised to self-isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Not sure where to post this the OH has a sore throat cough over the weekend, this morning her temps are all up and down. She rang her gp was told that the gp can't take a call from her until Wednesday and even then it will be 65 euro for a call to see if she needs testing is this right? I thought the tests and referrals were free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Not sure where to post this the OH has a sore throat cough over the weekend, this morning her temps are all up and down. She rang her gp was told that the gp can't take a call from her until Wednesday and even then it will be 65 euro for a call to see if she needs testing is this right? I thought the tests and referrals were free?
    I'd try another GP as they did say do not have to be registerd with a Gp to get test.
    I believe it is free also as the GPs are getting €30 per call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Niece has been waiting a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Harika wrote: »

thanks, I don't normally suffer from allergies, but I would imagine a lot of people will be confusing symptoms with these.

I will just sit tight and watch carefully for any developments, we are retired and have a big garden so no need to leave the homestead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The GP sounds like a crook, and an incompetent one at that. Correct me if I'm wrong but the fees agreed with the government should cover everything without billing the patient a full consultation on top of what they're claiming!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0317/1123663-coronavirus-ireland/
    GPs are to be paid €30 for telephone triage calls with patients on COVID-19, under the deal reached following talks involving the Irish Medical Organisation, the Department of Health and the HSE.

The fee will be covered for medical card and private patients.

If a COVID-19 test is required, the result will be sent to the GP and where a second telephone consultation with the patient is needed, a further payment can be claimed by the doctor.

If a GP invites a patient for a respiratory assessment in their surgery, a fee of €75 will be paid by the State to the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

zinfandel wrote: »
    anyone know if there is something else out there going around that causes a lingering sore throat? I have had a scratchy throat for about 8 days, not overly painful but have to keep clearing my throat especially if I talk a lot. I feel fine and no other symptoms, not leaving the house, so don't really want to waste doctors time or testing resources.

Lots of stuff. This is probably part of the problem, the usual things are circulating and it’s hard to tell. I know someone with a dose right now who rang the GP and whatever questions were asked the GP decided she didn’t need a test. I’d love to know how they determine it. I’ve read quite a few first hand accounts of people with Covid 19 who didn’t have the common fever or cough so It’s probably impossible to know for sure, and they need to test the most likely cases.
    My three year old has a cough but it started with a temperature before we had any confirmed cases in the country, so unless she’s patient zero I’m assuming it’s the usual seasonal stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Many people still waiting since before Wednesday to be tested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauzzels

Got through to the surgery this morning and husband has been referred. While talking to the GP I told her our flatmate has multiple symptoms too. She said that as our local surgery has +10,000 patients they have no means to give him an assessment! Absolutely ridiculous, all she could do was give me the HSE helpline number

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tippingpoint

Has anyone been referred for a test in Mayo? How long are they taking to call you in for it? I've just been referred for testing as I came back from Spain a week ago & showing symptoms. Fully self isolating for the last week & have another week of isolation to go, but will be longer depending on the results of the test :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Topdolla wrote: »
    I had a consult over the phone on Monday and was tested today.

How did you get tested so quick? I know people waiting over a week.

mean gene wrote: »
    anyone that has a pain in the head now will think its coronas or if you have a sore throat or a cough or a fever

you need all 4 to start to worry aint it

Ahm, what about all the people in China and Korea tested with coronovirus who showed almost no symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

lauzzels wrote: »
    Got through to the surgery this morning and husband has been referred. While talking to the GP I told her our flatmate has multiple symptoms too. She said that as our local surgery has +10,000 patients they have no means to give him an assessment! Absolutely ridiculous, all she could do was give me the HSE helpline number

In cases like this, I would say that once your husband is tested positive, you can assume yourself and your flatmate should isolate also. Unfortunately resources are thin, and if a surgery has had 10k+ patients, then a more vulnerable person is more in need of the test.

Hard to hear, but unfortunately that's the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

In Westmeath here. My wife has been waiting since Monday, March 16. Apart from cough, all her other symptoms are gone and she feels almost back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone felt like vomiting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I have asked this before but is there a list of virus testing centres available anywhere specifically in County Cork? I know that PUC is being used but I don`t live near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

@ Mad MAxx - I had awful vomiting on day 3, still no test so could have been a bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have asked this before but is there a list of virus testing centres available anywhere specifically in County Cork? I know that PUC is being used but I don`t live near the city.

You have to be referred to be tested. No point trying to turn up at a testing centre

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You had a cough and no other symptoms. If you hadn't travelled or been in contact with a confirmed case then your act was not prudent but a waste of our healthcare personnels time and resources.

At this point, if you're only testing in those conditions, you won't catch most of the cases. Unless we do something more like Korean mass testing, the current testing system may soon become pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

only 1500-2000 being tested per day, we're massively behind

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1242048833279995905?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Wasn't feeling great last couple weeks. Bit of a fever, headache every day so rang my medical centre last Wednesday morning and got through to a woman who asked me a few questions. I told her i had a new phone number since last in with the doctor and gave her my new number. She said the doctor would ring me back later.

I waited until today and still no call (i know there's a waiting list) but i rang back this morning just to clarify i was on the list. Got through to a woman again and she said the doctor had tried to contact me lsst Wednesday but there was no answer. I explained that i told the operator last week that i had a new phone number and gave her my new one and the doctor must been ringing my old number. She said the doctor will ring me later today instead.

That could be me waiting until end of week to be tested. That will be 7-10 days since i made first call. I'm feeling better now. Still have headaches daily though. If i had the virus it may have passed. I want to know for sure though as i plan on visiting my parents and want to be 100% sure in case of passing it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

so whats the current waiting time, about a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Waiting a week today. Absolutely scundered in the house, but haven't left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

so whats the current waiting time, about a week?

4-5 days according to HSE but it appears to be longer than that going by people on here and Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I contacted GP this morning, they sent me a link to fill in a questionnaire.
    Just got a txt saying test tomorrow afternoon in PUC, Cork.
    I do have/did tick all the symptoms listed except vomiting (small mercies) and I'm diabetic so perhaps triage wise I kinda jump the queue a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Got appointment tomorrow after last Monday on the list. Cork

Advertisement