Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Well if you felt unwell enough to get a test then you might have some other bug.

Ah yes. Feel stupid now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

stevek93 wrote: »
    HSE just rang and told me to visit a test centre to get tested, I asked how am I going to do that without a car they advised me to use public transport. What the actual f***k? If I have the virus I am going to infect and contaminate the whole bus.

Edit: I rang my local TD and GP hopefully it gets routed to Simon Harris.

that's crazy. I'm afraid that's going to happen to me and I'll actually catch the bloody thing at the test centre

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Holy Diver wrote: »
    I just got a negative result. I asked when I can go back to work. Basically she said I need to be symptom free for two days. I said I still have a cough (nearly 3 weeks now). The direction is to stay at home as I have some other ailment going on.

Where did you actually test, I tested in Mahon on the 16th too. I'm hoping to hear aswell today. Was it a phone call you got ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I got an automated text last night apologising for the delay (day 8 now) & that theres a backlog of 40,000 & I'm somewhere in the queue. My employer has started ringing me as they don't seem to believe it us taking so long for a test. I'm afraid that I'll get tested, get a positive result then be told to self isolate for another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

HSE just rang and told me to visit a test centre to get tested, I asked how am I going to do that without a car they advised me to use public transport. What the actual f***k? If I have the virus I am going to infect and contaminate the whole bus.

Edit: I rang my local TD and GP hopefully it gets routed to Simon Harris.

Is Simon Harris going to drive you there?

I was about to criticise but then I saw your post history and it's been going on a while with you.. so it's understandable you're frustrated.

See.. this is what happens in an emergency situation and why social distancing, self-isolation, etc was so important. There simply aren't enough resources, so not everyone is going to get the treatment they need. Just look at Italy where otherwise healthy people died for lack of a ventilator. The doctors had to take the view that younger people were more likely to recover, so they left older people to die.

In your case, you don't have the means to get to a test centre. The ambulance service are not shuttling as many people to the test centres for testing (which, btw involves taking an ambulance off the road, have an ambulance driver show up at your door with a hazmat suit, and then hose down the ambulance when finished- so maybe they'd get through 7 tests a day... or they could just test several hundred who can make their own way to test centres.

Depending on how sick you are, your options are:
    Walk there
    Cycle there.
    Take public transport despite the risk
    Find someone else suffering with Coronavirus who isn't as sick as you and is willing to drive you there.
    Or... just don't bother with a test and hope for the best. If you get really sick they'll probably send an ambulance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Called GP today and she ran through some questions and sent my details to be tested. Hope it doesn't take too long but reading other posts in here I guess i'll be waiting a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Called GP today and she ran through some questions and sent my details to be tested. Hope it doesn't take too long but reading other posts in here I guess i'll be waiting a while

Depends on where you are. Some test centres have next day availability. Others are still being built!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

antix80 wrote: »
    Depends on where you are. Some test centres have next day availability. Others are still being built!

South Dublin. Fingers crossed it's not too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I got an automated text last night apologising for the delay (day 8 now) & that theres a backlog of 40,000 & I'm somewhere in the queue. My employer has started ringing me as they don't seem to believe it us taking so long for a test. I'm afraid that I'll get tested, get a positive result then be told to self isolate for another 2 weeks.

Send them a link or screen shot of a media report if they start getting thick with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Finally got app for tomorrow - waiting 8 days and been symptom free for 6 days after being sick for 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I think it would be useful that people put their rough location if they are stating what their timeline is. For some regions it could be days others could be weeks.

Not to dox people just a bit more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

sterz wrote: »
    In a similar situation to you where I'm coming down with something and not feeling 100%. I can still function and work from home but I haven't left the house in a few days.

I have:

Some aches and pains
    Little bit fatigued over the past couple of days
    Odd headache (but prone to them all year round anyway)

I don't have:

A cough
    A fever
    Breathing difficulties

Any other time of year I'd just put it down to one of those things and it'll go away after a few days. But hard to know considering all that's going on now.

I do think there might be a bit of a separate throat thing going around, I have had a irritated throat for about 10 days, have to keep clearing it , especially if I talk too much which can lead to a bit of a cough, its got no better , no worse, last time I was out was march 12th, husband who is 10 years older than me and with various health issues has been in exactly same places as me and absolutely fine , so not really worried, just going to continue living in hibernation for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

I wonder who do you contact if you think you have symptoms but don't have a gp? Just moved into different part of the country, previous gp is 150+ km away

You can contact the gp closest to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Topdolla wrote: »
    You can contact the gp closest to you

How are you feeling?

Still not myself at all not really getting a fever anymore. I didn't believe my gf when she said her taste and smell is gone, but my Sinus is stuffed and I can't smell anything now

Just slept from 11pm till 1.30pm haha

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Just got a call to go for testing. I’m in Dublin West and my original test referral was on Monday 16th. I had to go to hospital at the weekend so was tested there in the meantime.
    I asked about timelines for test results and was told it’s around 5 working days at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Is it the antigen or antibody test that people will be getting in Ireland?

My understanding is the UK is buying both, but I am not sure about Ireland. Obviously it will be antibody eventually, but what are we testing with now? Both my girlfriend & I had/have symptoms. She is waiting on a test, as she is higher risk. I was told I would be tested if she was +ive.

I'd like to know either way if we had it or not, and if we are more likely to be immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Have symptoms: feeling like fire from back of nose all the way down to lungs; dry cough; headaches; body aches; and slight fever.

GP won't refer me for test as he's prioritising older people and people who can't get out of bed (I've been wfh to keep my mind off the symptoms, which although uncomfortable I can walk around with).

I can understand his sentiment, given the limited number of tests. The family (OH had similar symptoms but now appears over the hump) will self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Update:
    Called the HSE hotline to "complain". They vigorously disagreed with GPs assessment and asked me to contact him again to insist on a referral. Got back to me today and he grudgingly agreed to refer for a test. My symptoms have not changed since posting.

Reading how proactive other GPs are here, there is definitely an inconsistent application of the testing criteria.

Another update:
    I received call from HSE this morning to confirm test next Thursday morning. Reasonably quick turnaround as was referred on Friday.

Regarding the symptoms, the dry cough is a lot better but feeling short of breath especially in the evenings. A lot like a bad asthma attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Another update:
    I received call from HSE this morning to confirm test next Thursday morning. Reasonably quick turnaround as was referred on Friday.

Regarding the symptoms, the dry cough is a lot better but feeling short of breath especially in the evenings. A lot like a bad asthma attack.

Can you clarify a bad asthma attack? When I was sick maybe it wasn't an asthma attack I was having and it was indeed this virus? I would explode into a fit of coughs and my airways would close gasping for air these would happen randomly throughout the day but more so in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I honestly now believe this isn't being done in order of referrals. A family member with no symptoms who's after returning from the Canaries was referred on Friday and tested today.

Just got a call saying I tested negative. 8 day wait

Can you clarify a bad asthma attack? When I was sick maybe it wasn't an asthma attack I was having and it was indeed this virus? I would explode into a fit of coughs and my airways would close gasping for air these would happen randomly throughout the day but more so in the evening.

Sharp pain from windpipe all the way into chest (although this extends to back of nose which I have never felt before). Constant heavy breathing and feel like gasping for air especially in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

ja1986 wrote: »

Was it 8 day wait for results?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

ja1986 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Another update:

do you mind me asking is a constant cough or one that comes and goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I honestly now believe this isn't being done in order of referrals. A family member with no symptoms who's after returning from the Canaries was referred on Friday and tested today.

My partner was referred on the 18th, after calling on the 17th. SMS yesterday saying that she was in a queue. Nothing since.

Both of our symptoms have passed, apart from the cough, which is much better. Still a slight feeling in the chest as if I have pulled a muscle in there.
    Mild headache is gone.

Breathlessness lasted about 1.5 to 3 days to three days (It came and went and was more pronounced at night. I thought I was over it a couple of times and it returned). Another poster hit the nail on the head, with regards to how it felt. I was the inability to catch a full breath. I could breath by concentrating on breathing in 3/4 breaths, and not overthinking it, if that makes sense. Anxiety was making it worse.

We were pretty mild thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dccw

My daughter has been referred for testing, so shes on the waiting list.

The rest of the family has a subset of symptoms, cough, chest tightness, joint pain but no fever

Will they test my whole family?

Yes, sorry results

• Advertisement

shoes43 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking is a constant cough or one that comes and goes?

Don't mind at all.

It has actually subsided since last week. It was constant (making sleeping difficult) and dry. Flared up when speaking.

Advertisement