Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

STB. wrote: »
    Yes they do. There are clear symptoms to check, High Temp being an obvious one. Its a worldwide poster.

Given GP's have been given responsibility as the gatekeepers, I'm sure they know their arse from their elbow.

Regardless, the criteria was set initially at "have you been in Italy". That changed on 13/3 when community transmission was already evident.

Not everyone has presented themselves for testing. Sick people presented themselves to their GP's. You don't change the criteria after the event because your system has failed, due to incompetence or lack of gear. You are no longer following WHO guidelines anymore.

Whats happening here of course is that the NVRL has been given exclusive reponsibility for community testing and they are not capable of the numbers.

Given the virus can be asymptomatic, you don't ignore people with symptoms. You identify them and you isolate. You certainly dont gamble.

If you have problem with lack of kits or not enough labs, you fix that. Don't try and bluff me.

Me: asks rhetorical question and provides answer, quoting WHO case definition

You: you're not following who guidelines.

Testing capability is obviously limited. We can't test everyone. Surely it makes sense to use the WHO case definition if we have to limit testing. The numbers wanting testing is too high and Irish GPs are in general too soft with their patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Can i clarify the following, i have been self isolating since weekend before last, we contacted gp on Wednesday of last week and gave details and told we were forwarded for test, i had no fever but cough head cold and severe shortness of breath, my partner did have a fever and flu like symptoms but he is fine now, are they saying our wait of a week has been for nothing and they now won’t test us? I still have bad shortness of breath.

Do we have to go back to GP or just give up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Can i clarify the following, i have been self isolating since weekend before last, we contacted gp on Wednesday of last week and gave details and told we were forwarded for test, i had no fever but cough head cold and severe shortness of breath, my partner did have a fever and flu like symptoms but he is fine now, are they saying our wait of a week has been for nothing and they now won’t test us? I still have bad shortness of breath.

Do we have to go back to GP or just give up?

Similar situation here, was put forward for test on Monday.

I'm going to ring GP this morning to see what's the story. Maybe there will be a new category of with symptoms and presumed infected.

Hope you're feeling better soon! I'm gradually breathing a bit easier every day.

I'm going to ring GP this morning to see what's the story. Maybe there will be a new category of with symptoms and presumed infected.

Hope you're feeling better soon! I'm gradually breathing a bit easier every day.

Thanks, good to hear you are feeling a bit better, i had a very bad night last with breathing, still feel a long way off being better, would be grateful if you could keep me posted how you get on with your gp

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Waiting since last Wednesday for a test due to contact with a confirmed case 2 weeks ago now and now and no test WTF can I go back to work today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Understand now your concern . Hope things continue to improve. I got steroids and definitely helped my breathing but then I took it as having bronchitis

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My wife got a text message from some Queueing service yesterday saying to keep self isolating but there was no specific appointment, did anyone else get something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Akrasia wrote: »
    My wife got a text message from some Queueing service yesterday saying to keep self isolating but there was no specific appointment, did anyone else get something similar?

Got in on Monday, Still no date.
    May not get one now either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'm in the same boat. My concern is, if the shortness of breath and cough is left untreated, and is actually another condition like bronchitis but we have only had over the phone consults and been put onto the list (and now won't be seen because we have no fevers) what would happen if we then somehow caught covid and were already under the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Akrasia wrote: »

I got that text Monday night but nothing since

Just off the phone with my GP in reaction to this mornings news about tests.

I’m self isolating since last Wednesday ( my test was applied for Thursday morning) .

My GP tells me to keep self isolating until next Wednesday and my partner in house to stay out of work as well .

I’ll be honest I’m getting tetchy stuck in this bedroom , I’m lucky there is en-suite off it .

My symptoms of cough , gone since Sunday and temp gone from 38.4 on Wednesday to 37.0 this morning.

Stay safe

• Advertisement

If you are on the waiting list and do not currently have a appointment you won’t be getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is a right fcuk up. My wife has a time and place for today. Just got the call, will that go ahead? For the record waiting 15 days now.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    This is a right fcuk up. My wife has a time and place for today. Just got the call, will that go ahead? For the record waiting 15 days now.

If you have a confirmed appointment it will go ahead

meath4sam wrote: »
    If you have a confirmed appointment it will go ahead

Good man. This swapping and changing is putting extra stress on people who are already under pressure. Not really good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Got in on Monday, Still no date.
    May not get one now either

Thanks,
    My wife had a fever of 40c and a dry cough, went on to develop a viral pneumonia (according to her gp over a phone consultation). She was referred for a test on the 14th but has been off sick and in isolation since the 9th of March. She’s feeling a lot better the last few days, still has a cough but her chest has improved and her peak flow readings have gone from 200 to over 300 (very bad to not so bad)

I don’t know how long it takes for a positive person to recover and test negative, but she’s 16 days since symptoms started and people are only being asked to isolate for 14 days...

Are they not ruling out a lot of people who will actually have coronavirus because they are saying you must have a fever? I’ve read a number of posts from people who tested positive without having a fever however on the other hand i read a report from a chinese hospital that almost 99% that presented had a fever?! Very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0325/1126202-those-seeking-test-must-display-two-major-symptoms/

I had a bit of a cough yesterday but not so bad today. Seems to be need 2 sympthoms now. I'm staying in anyway just in case.

Are they not ruling out a lot of people who will actually have coronavirus because they are saying you must have a fever? I’ve read a number of posts from people who tested positive without having a fever however on the other hand i read a report from a chinese hospital that almost 99% that presented had a fever?! Very confusing

Claire Byrne on Prime Time on Monday has Covid 19. She SPECIFICALLY said she did not have a fever :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Just off phone with GP. I am a nurse and have fever, short of breath, headaches. Was told I need all three fever short of breath and cough to be tested. So basically as I have no cough I won’t be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

wat24 wrote: »
    Just off phone with GP. I am a nurse and have fever, short of breath, headaches. Was told I need all three fever short of breath and cough to be tested. So basically as I have no cough I won’t be tested.

Thought health care workers would be tested as priority though

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Thought health care workers would be tested as priority though

I said I am nurse working in local hospital and was told unless I had all three symptoms I wouldn’t get test!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

That's crazy, you should have prioritise testing.

That’s madness, an awful lot of corona positive people will be walking around who won’t get a test, jaysus, I thought the directive was to test, test, test? We clearly don’t have resources to ramp up the testing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

94% negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I said I am nurse working in local hospital and was told unless I had all three symptoms I wouldn’t get test!

From HSE site about priorty cases

This includes people with symptoms of coronavirus who are:

close contacts of a confirmed case

healthcare workers

in at-risk groups

That’s madness, an awful lot of corona positive people will be walking around who won’t get a test, jaysus, I thought the directive was to test, test, test? We clearly don’t have resources to ramp up the testing
    That, I'd say is the problem. Cost of testing.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    That's crazy, you should have prioritise testing.

I would have thought so simply on the basis I want to get back to work. If I got a test in a few days and it was negative I could get back to work but now I have to wait a full two week regardless.

I'm in the same boat. My concern is, if the shortness of breath and cough is left untreated, and is actually another condition like bronchitis but we have only had over the phone consults and been put onto the list (and now won't be seen because we have no fevers) what would happen if we then somehow caught covid and were already under the weather?

thats my worry too. I am 59 and work in the civil service. I have had cough and very raw throat for last 10 days. Yesterday the throat was very bad ( I never normally get sore throats as I had tonsils removed). I am waiting on Covid test since last Thursday and am self isolatiing. I had a 6 week respiratory infection and bronchitis in January and February. I never had a fever with either.

We still have full staff at work (in a non essential service :confused:!!) and I am worried about catching Covid if I go back to work as there is something going on in my respiratory system Covid or not.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    From HSE site about priorty cases

This includes people with symptoms of coronavirus who are:

close contacts of a confirmed case

healthcare workers

in at-risk groups

I said this several times to receptionist and basically was told three symptoms or not a hope of a test! She more of least implied to ring back later and say I have a cough.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Probably been answered already, but does the test tell you if you've already had it, but don't have it at the time of testing??

Advertisement