Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

People say stupid things in a crisis..... but really..... you believe the roll out of new testing centre after new testing centre across the country, the hiring of 1000's of new staff across our health service and ordering 10's of thousands of testing kits is the equivalent of someone sitting on their hands hoping this would go away????

The ordering of 10's of thousands if testing gear should have happened weeks ago, not when you announce testing.

You don't put all the players in place to find you have no ball.

We have had to abandon 40 to 50 thousand tests because there are either no tests available or no lab available to run the tests at a time when community transmission accounts for 45% of overall numbers.

Your'e right about those that say stupid things in a crisis though. Sometimes the answer needs to be explained several times before it sinks in. But some people are led by the nose, I suppose. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

STB. wrote: »
    The ordering of 10's of thousands if testing gear should have happened weeks ago, not when you announce testing.

You don't put all the players in place to find you have no ball.

We have had to abandon 40 to 50 thousand tests because there are either no tests available or no lab available to run the tests at a time when community transmission accounts for 45% of overall numbers.

Your'e right about those that say stupid things in a crisis though. Sometimes the answer needs to be explained several times before it sinks in. But some people are led by the nose, I suppose. Be grand.

Nah I quoted what you said. No one is sitting on their hands. Things happen in a crisis. You deal with it best you can. Again. No one is sitting on their hands hoping a problem will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GPs are supposed to be paid 30 euro by the Dept. of Health for every Covid-19 consultation they make. Seems like you are being ripped off by your GP.
    They called me up after call and took a charge of 35 euro.
    It's honestly the least of my worries at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gmisk wrote: »
    They called me up after call and took a charge of 35 euro.
    It's honestly the least of my worries at this stage

Well I contacted my GP surgery just a little while ago and asked about this. It was confirmed to me that there should be no charge for a Covid-19 related consultation. You have been ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭bossdrum

Well I contacted my GP surgery just a little while ago and asked about this. It was confirmed to me that there should be no charge for a Covid-19 related consultation. You have been ripped off.

I paid €40 on the 16th before the government brought in the free consultation.
    Some how I can't see my gp offering a refund?
    I'm finally getting tested today in West Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m on list since Monday. Symptoms (high temp, sore throat, cough, absolute exhaustion) since Saturday,

I’m trying not to panic, can barely leave bed. I’m exhausted and temps are impossible to bring down each morning.

Dunno what to do next

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Apparently I was charged 35 euro for a letter....and a prescription.
    For an antibiotic which I can't collect as in self isolation and wouldn't be effective against corona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m on list since Monday. Symptoms (high temp, sore throat, cough, absolute exhaustion) since Saturday,

I’m trying not to panic, can barely leave bed. I’m exhausted and temps are impossible to bring down each morning.

Dunno what to do next

Ring gp again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Dunno what to do next

The advice from my GP is if you start suffering with loss of breath/difficulty breathing phone for an ambulance, test or no test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My dad was tested positive. Awaiting my mothers results but naturally they are isolating from each other already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

it is a disgrace. GP are milking it . up until today any client with a cough phoning their gp was being referred for a test. handiest 30 euro you'll ever make

My dad was tested positive. Awaiting my mothers results but naturally they are isolating from each other already.

Best of luck and hope they are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

Rang GP and she said to wait as I "still might be tested"... It's been 7 days now

bossdrum wrote: »
    I paid €40 on the 16th before the government brought in the free consultation.
    Some how I can't see my gp offering a refund?
    I'm finally getting tested today in West Cork.

Did you need a prescription or a sick note from your GP as another poster here did or was that just for a consultation over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Rang GP as still not received sick note.

They have withheld it until I pay 50 euro.

I need cert to cover isolation and cert saying fit to return next week.

The 50 seemingly covers both certs and postage.

Worst bit is í have a MC

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Ring gp again

Thanks, yes shortly after I typed that husband came in and said ffs, you’ve been saying you need an antibiotic since Saturday no wonder you so wreaked. When I say I couldn’t leave the bed I really couldn’t. Too tired to read or watch Netflix... highly unusual. So he rang doc and doc said we’ve a tent outside, bring her down . So I did and my chest is clear which is obviously very reassuring and gave steroids n antibiotics . Test must still be done as I have cough/sore throat and high temps. So am still isolating but not as scared as was earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

I have my test tomorrow.. 8 days after first referred, healthcare worker with underlying condition. Gp re referred this morning and also started me on antibiotics in case it's a respiratory infection. So one way or another I hope to be the other side of this soon, have never felt sick for so long before.

Rang GP as still not received sick note.

They have withheld it until I pay 50 euro.

I need cert to cover isolation and cert saying fit to return next week.

The 50 seemingly covers both certs and postage.

Worst bit is í have a MC

If by MC you mean miscarriage please accept my sympathies. I’d be looking for a new gp to be honest.

Apologies if you meant medical card, crap treatment either way.

If by MC you mean miscarriage please accept my sympathies. I’d be looking for a new gp to be honest.

I think she means medical card. Seems crazy to have pay 50e for a sick cert esp if you have a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellzzz

Topdolla wrote:
    It consists of 2 swabs, one down the back of the throat that wasn't too bad and then one up the nostril which wasn't great... They tell you to swallow while the push all the way up your nostril nearly out of your eye, my eye was watering for about 5 minutes

Well done brave soldier!😊

• Advertisement

Got a call, my baby dosnt fit criteria anymore as temp has gone.
    Still coughing though.
    This new system is quite flawed..
    Wouldn't it be handy to know if he or indeed we in the home had or have corona virus, for like you know, so we can quarantine?
    We were referred Friday 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Still coughing though.
    Wouldn't it be handy to know if he or indeed we in the home had or have corona virus, for like you know, so we can quarantine?

No doubt you know this already but you should presume you have it and self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Referred on 16th, got a call for an appointment tomorrow morning. Sir John rogersons quay even though i live nearly 60 miles away. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Still coughing though.

From what I’ve read anyone with symptoms is to isolate for 14 days from onset of symptoms or be fever free for 5 days. Treat them as if they were positive.

It’s frustrating that they changed the criteria but we still need to be careful.

If the cough is not improving maybe contact your GP for a consult. Stay safe.

Referred on 16th, got a call for an appointment tomorrow morning. Sir John rogersons quay even though i live nearly 60 miles away. Fingers crossed.

Good to know that. I wish you all the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Testing for what exactly?

I mean people really don't seem to realise that they are taking a swab from your nose and the back of your throat which could indicate that you have a novel virus which is probably only a few months old, less than 120 days if we are to believe the WHO.

So you get your test and you get your results. Yippidy do dah. What next? If you test negative you still need to act the exact same way as before and if you test positive unless you are in a serious condition you are just going to be sent home to bed.

If you are suffering badly from the virus the chances are you will know all about it. Time for some ICU for you, see ya later. The last thing you will be worried about sitting in an ICU room on a ventilator will be when your getting your results, I reckon anyway.

The HSE are bang on for calling out every hypochondriac in the country who are joining queues and clogging up a system which is not built for it. We have been told from the start that this virus is only dangerous to the elderly and people with chest issues. Everyone else needs to be simply getting on with their lives.

Prob based on address they have against you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think she means medical card. Seems crazy to have pay 50e for a sick cert esp if you have a medical card.

I think she means Medical Condition? Preexisting?

Odelay wrote: »
    I think she means Medical Condition? Preexisting?

Could be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Apologies if you meant medical card, crap treatment either way.

How you could even get miscarriage from that is unbelievable.

Advertisement