Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The HSE are bang on for calling out every hypochondriac in the country who are joining queues and clogging up a system which is not built for it. We have been told from the start that this virus is only dangerous to the elderly and people with chest issues. Everyone else needs to be simply getting on with their lives.

Testing as many people as possible means finding as many infected people as possible and then doing contact tracing through them so that their contacts can all be tested. That means that asymptotic and very mildly symptomatic people know asap that they have the virus and can stop spreading it around. It is the number one method for slowing the spread of the virus. Countries which have focussed their efforts on testing and contact tracing have been very successful in slowing the spread, minimising deaths and still allowing their people to live much, much more normal lives. There is a reason that the WHO advice is to 'test, test, test.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sam Hain wrote: »
    How you could even get miscarriage from that is unbelievable.

Sorry genuine mistake. MC is often used as an abbreviation for miscarriage on online pregnancy chat forums. Have seen it so often it was the first thing to spring to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

iguana wrote: »
    Testing as many people as possible means finding as many infected people as possible and then doing contact tracing through them so that their contacts can all be tested. That means that asymptotic and very mildly symptomatic people know asap that they have the virus and can stop spreading it around. It is the number one method for slowing the spread of the virus. Countries which have focussed their efforts on testing and contact tracing have been very successful in slowing the spread, minimising deaths and still allowing their people to live much, much more normal lives. There is a reason that the WHO advice is to 'test, test, test.'

The fact of the matter is that we neither have the test kits or the resources to be implementing tests. Testing every Tom, Dick and Harry ( or Nuala from down the road ) will not be curing the virus. The greatest prevention thus far is social distancing. Contact tracing is a complete waste of time at this point, the virus is in Ireland for weeks now. Resources now need to be focussed on treating people, not hanging around GAA stadiums sticking swabs up peoples noses.

Statistics will not cure the virus. The whole country was negative 4 weeks ago. Testing everyone is not a priority , treating people is.

Why would the HSE contravene WHO advice? Straight question?

Why would the HSE contravene WHO advice? Straight question?

The WHO advice is literally (actual literal quote of Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization) "We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test." "Test every suspected case, if they test positive, isolate them and find out who they have been in contact with two days before they developed symptoms and test those people too."

So yup, straight question, why do you think the HSE should contravene WHO advice? Obviously we don't have the capacity to actually do what would be best practice and carry out that testing. But lets not fuçking pretend that not having the ability to do what is recommended as best practice is somehow a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What asymptotic people are asking for tests?

You can only test test test everybody when you have enough tests to do it, until then you have to amend your testing procedures as things change. No point in having tens of thousands waiting for tests that may mean very little by the time they get the result.

A family member of mine is in ICU a week because they couldn’t get medical help or a test sooner. I totally agree with prioritizing people with breathing difficulties and medical difficulties with anybody with any hint of a symptom to self isolate as if they have it. Many people have little excuse to leave their houses now so people need to just put up and shut up while our authority’s strategical try to manage this.

You’d swear this was a simple problem that should have few mistakes or issues just because people can think of solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Testing for what exactly?

I mean people really don't seem to realise that they are taking a swab from your nose and the back of your throat which could indicate that you have a novel virus which is probably only a few months old, less than 120 days if we are to believe the WHO.

So you get your test and you get your results. Yippidy do dah. What next? If you test negative you still need to act the exact same way as before and if you test positive unless you are in a serious condition you are just going to be sent home to bed.

If you are suffering badly from the virus the chances are you will know all about it. Time for some ICU for you, see ya later. The last thing you will be worried about sitting in an ICU room on a ventilator will be when your getting your results, I reckon anyway.

The HSE are bang on for calling out every hypochondriac in the country who are joining queues and clogging up a system which is not built for it. We have been told from the start that this virus is only dangerous to the elderly and people with chest issues. Everyone else needs to be simply getting on with their lives.
    I honestly don't agree with what you are saying.
    If I had called doc y'day I would have been put in queue for a test. Called today and I am not as no fever. I have all the other symptoms and previously nearly died from pneumonia. I am having serious pain when breathing, I am 38.

Myself and my husband were pretty much self isolating anyway since Friday before Paddy's day.
    So I am now self isolating.
    As is my husband.
    My husband has zero symptoms and works in healthcare so he is now self isolating not being able to work for 2 weeks.
    Would it not make sense to test him and myself so he can go to work and help people out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The WHO advice is literally (actual literal quote of Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization) "We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test." "Test every suspected case, if they test positive, isolate them and find out who they have been in contact with two days before they developed symptoms and test those people too."

So yup, straight question, why do you think the HSE should contravene WHO advice? Obviously we don't have the capacity to actually do what would be best practice and carry out that testing. But lets not fuçking pretend that not having the ability to do what is recommended as best practice is somehow a good thing.

That message is actually mostly for uk and Usa, countries not even bothering to do mass testing. Disingenuous to suggest our authority’s aren’t trying to test everybody, as it is with the backlog they will be nearly a week testing before they even catch up. It’s not like they are reducing the amount of people they are testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Lisha wrote: »
    If by MC you mean miscarriage please accept my sympathies. I’d be looking for a new gp to be honest.

Apologies if you meant medical card, crap treatment either way.

Mc medical card

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Drumpot wrote: »
    What asymptotic people are asking for tests?

if we know who has it from testing the sick, we can find out who they infected who might be asymptomatic.

gmisk wrote: »
    I honestly don't agree with what you are saying.
    If I had called doc y'day I would have been put in queue for a test. Called today and I am not as no fever. I have all the other symptoms and previously nearly died from pneumonia. I am having serious pain when breathing, I am 38.

Myself and my husband were pretty much self isolating anyway since Friday before Paddy's day.
    So I am now self isolating.
    As is my husband.
    My husband has zero symptoms and works in healthcare so he is now self isolating not being able to work for 2 weeks.
    Would it not make sense to test him and myself so he can go to work and help people out?

What is your husband doing?

• Advertisement

So what do you recommend? You seem to know better?

If you think that testing 6 million people for the craic is the answer I am ending this conversation. I am sincere about that.

What is your husband doing?
    He works in rehabilitation with people who have brain injuries.
    So that's him out now for two weeks despite zero symptoms and they are already understaffed.

He works in rehabilitation with people who have brain injuries.
    So that's him out now for two weeks despite zero symptoms and they are already understaffed.

But if your in isolation since before Paddy's day he should be back to work this Friday?

I presume you are not sharing a room at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Prob based on address they have against you

They have my current address in Co Meath on file. My GP is a 5 minute walk from me.

But if your in isolation since before Paddy's day he should be back to work this Friday?

Not in isolation (probably worded that wrong) But have cut down going outside like you are meant too.
    We have still been to supermarkets, walks etc. Plus he has had shifts in work.

We are not sharing a room since I started feeling poorly a couple of days ago.
    We are now on full isolation so not going out the door for 14 days as ordered.

So what do you recommend? You seem to know better?

If you think that testing 6 million people for the craic is the answer I am ending this conversation. I am sincere about that.

The fact is we should ideally be doing more testing but we can't. Admitting that is beyond our capabilities right now and being open to changing that in the future when we can, even if the only way for it to be possible is when the rapidly updating testing technology becomes reliable. Not pretending that it's somehow a good thing that we can't do what's best. And maybe not sending leaflets to every house as if that's going to make any difference at all.

Not in isolation (probably worded that wrong) But have cut down going outside like you are meant too.
    We have still been to supermarkets, walks etc. Plus he has had shifts in work.

We are not sharing a room since I started feeling poorly a couple of days ago.
    We are now on full isolation so not going out the door for 14 days as ordered.

What are your current symptoms?

What are your current symptoms?
    Shortness of breath (pain when breathing in especially if deeply this is a lot worse today)
    Sore throat.
    Cough
    Aches and pains all over especially chest.
    Fecking wrecked as in I could barely get up and seriously struggled to have a shower .

I am also never sick and as I said previously I almost died from pneumonia before.
    But no fever so no test seemingly.
    Told to ring an ambulance if I get worse though...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

does anyone know how long this is suppose to last. Have been sick since last weds, really bad at the week end with all the symptons except a cough, pains in top half of body, fever, headaches, stomach burining, light headed, havent eating anything in the last three days as it runs through me. I tight I was getting slightly better the last two days but today I feel worse again. all I want to do is sleep.

I was suppose to have a test this week but it havent heard from anyone so I assume there will be no test not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Unfortunately, as I called out before we had thousands on thousands of dummies getting tested when they were fully grand. Now people with symptoms who should be tested are not being tested. Continue to self-isolate. At least the likelihood is that you'll have had it and be through it once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What are the guidelines for spouses/partners of suspected Covid patients in relation to work please?

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Unfortunately, as I called out before we had thousands on thousands of dummies getting tested when they were fully grand. Now people with symptoms who should be tested are not being tested. Continue to self-isolate. At least the likelihood is that you'll have had it and be through it once and for all.

But 'the dummies' as you call them were only following the CMO advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

capefear wrote: »
    does anyone know how long this is suppose to last. Have been sick since last weds, really bad at the week end with all the symptons except a cough, pains in top half of body, fever, headaches, stomach burining, light headed, havent eating anything in the last three days as it runs through me. I tight I was getting slightly better the last two days but today I feel worse again. all I want to do is sleep.

I was suppose to have a test this week but it havent heard from anyone so I assume there will be no test not that it matters.

For me it was 11 days from first symptom to feeling human again but even today, a week later, cutting the grass had be breathless and coughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Millions of testing kits be make available for home testing in UK. Maybe we could get a few of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Fann Linn wrote: »
    But 'the dummies' as you call them were only following the CMO advice.

Dr Holohan said yesterday that people were getting tested when all they had was a sniffle. People were inquiring about tests just for peace of mind when they had nothing wrong with them.
    They had a waiting list of 40,000 and 95% of them came back negative, that amount of people without coronavirus could not have had coronavirus symptoms.

A bit of common sense would tell you to hold off and see how you feel in a couple of days.

I suppose common sense has evidently been lacking throughout this pandemic among the general population. No doubt the dopes ringing up trying to get tests when they have no symptoms are the same eejits hoarding food and toilet roll and heading off to pubs, packed beaches and parks after being told to isolate and social distance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Millions of testing kits be make available for home testing in UK. Maybe we could get a few of these.
    A result in 10-15 minutes at home would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

To those who have it or have had it, tested or not, can you pinpoint when you got it? Did you need contact tracing or do you have a good idea who you got it from?

Dr Holohan said yesterday that people were getting tested when all they had was a sniffle. People were inquiring about tests just for peace of mind when they had nothing wrong with them.
    They had a waiting list of 40,000 and 95% of them came back negative, that amount of people without coronavirus could not have had coronavirus symptoms.

A bit of common sense would tell you to hold off and see how you feel in a couple of days.

I suppose common sense has evidently been lacking throughout this pandemic among the general population. No doubt the dopes ringing up trying to get tests when they have no symptoms are the same eejits hoarding food and toilet roll and heading off to pubs, packed beaches and parks after being told to isolate and social distance.

Was the initial advice as it is today. And then Leo decided that we'd go all South Korea and the symptoms were all changed to encourage 'test, test, test'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Was the initial advice as it is today. And then Leo decided that we'd go all South Korea and the symptoms were all changed to encourage 'test, test, test'?

If 20% of problem with covid have no symptoms, then what is the point of only testing people with severe symptoms? Apart from determining the appropriate care for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

I know someone who was tested 7 days ago and still has not received any results. They are presuming they are negative as the symptoms have passed without getting too bad, and would hope that it's a case of communicating positive only results.

Advertisement