Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This is garbage, where did you read that?

It's not garbage. You can't risk bring Covid into an unknowing hcp and possibly a room full of vulnerable people. You are meant to ring in advance and let the hcp advise you on how to proceed. They will decide on if you need to be seen in person and if you do they will make prior arrangements to protect themselves and their staff and other patients. If you call an ambulance you have to advise that you have respiratory symptoms before the ambulance is sent to you. Anything else is gross negligence on your part.

It's the official advice from the HSE for people with symptoms.
    Phone your doctor if you need to - do not visit them.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Your GP is being asked to refer you based on your medical history. They are a first point of call and will be aware if you have an underlying medical condition. They will also be fully aware if you don't have any symptoms or have an underlying condition. The purpose of this is too ease the burden on A&E or ICU, which you will most certainly need should your condition become critical.

If you are experiencing critical conditions I would get yourself off the computer immediately and down to hospital... if you have the energy.

Trust me if you are critically ill with Covid 19 you won't be thinking about logging on to bitch about the HSE or your negligent doctors.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's been all over the news - you should contact your GP by phone before attending

Indeed I would suggest in the current climate you contact them by phone for anything. My own GPs are only accepting any appointments by phone - their doors are locked, although they may be accepting certain patients into the practice with prior notice

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

iguana wrote: »
    One of the other reasons that testing is important is so that other ailments causing symptoms can be diagnosed and treated. This is my 9th day of shortness of breath and constricted chest. I have no respiratory condition, have never had so much as a chest infection and normally have genuinely excellent levels of cardiovascular fitness. I can do several hours of high intensity exercise without feeling in anyway breathless. On the 18th I exercised at a really moderate pace for about 30 minutes. I got breathless quite quickly and it took ages of resting to regulate my breathing afterwards and since then I started to get breathless from any sort of effort. For days, a few minutes of a phone conversation or making lunch would leave me gasping for breath. I also developed a severe sore throat, headaches and muscular aches and pains. I have brief spikes of high temperature (38.1 at the highest) followed by chills but nothing sustained. I'm averaging between 8-9 hours of sleep and staying in bed most of the day but was absolutely exhausted.

After two days of this, I called my GP who referred me for a test. She wasn't overly concerned about me having Covid 19. She said if I have it, she thinks I was very likely to recover with a week or two of home rest. But that under normal circumstances shortness of breath can be a symptom of a more serious issue and ideally she'd like to examine me and listen to my lungs. She was worried that I might have a blood clot. She referred me for a test and said that if I got a negative result and was still experiencing shortness of breath to come in and she could work out what was causing it. That if it got worse in the meantime to call an ambulance immediately. Respiratory issues can be very serious and shouldn't be ignored.

So now, I'm bumped off the list. Still experiencing the same symptoms though I think I'm slowly improving. Unfortunately as soon as I think I'm mostly better I do a bit more physical activity and breathing gets harder again. Yesterday evening I washed the ware and wiped down the kitchen counters while listening to upbeat music and I haven't been able to catch a satisfactory breath since. I don't want to go near a doctor as I've read reports of people with confirmed Covid 19 having exactly my symptoms and know a lot of people who can't get a test are experiencing exactly this right now. If I do have it, I really don't want to infect anyone, if I don't have it but should be on antibiotics for a chest infection, I can't access that treatment.

I fully appreciate that in a situation where the HSE has limited capacity to test, they need to test people at higher risk. I get that completely. But that is not in anyway a good thing. There is value in negative results because a negative result would allow me to get health treatment I may need. And a positive result would mean that anyone I was in contact with would be contacted and tested. I didn't have a huge amount of contact with people but I had some and those people really should be traced and checked. It is a very real failure on the part of the Department of Health that we can't do that. They are currently doing the best they can with what they have and I'm confident we won't suffer as badly and Italy, Spain and possibly the UK. But they prepared too late and are not able to do what they actually should and we will do worse than countries like Korea, Singapore and maybe Germany. So it's understandable that they have changed the criteria for testing. It's the best they can do with what they've got. But it's still a failure and it still has numerous negative consequences for many people.

I hear ya! I have very similar symptoms to you, on day 9 now. The chest tightness and breathlessness progressed to lung-burning feelings >>> on to two days of chills and sweats >>>>> now on to four days of fatigue still with chest pain and breathlessness. Starting to feel heat abc “pleuritic” pain in my upper back today (I had mild viral pleurisy last year for first time so remember what if feels like). Doc gave me script for antibiotics when he referred me so I started to take that early this week as a preemptive.

I got tested yesterday but I am fairly sure that this is CV. What are the chances that a load of us get strange respiratory virus in the middle of a global pandemic of a new respiratory virus and it’s not it? And I place emphasis on strange. I’m 40 and have never experienced an illness quite like this before.

In the UK they are not testing and giving presumptive clinical diagnosis based on symptoms...

I’ve read that the test has only 75-80% accuracy though and false negs are possible. In the end the main thing about the test result for me is the confirmation and will allow me to offer my services to help in the community (shopping etc) afterwards. Our family are treating this situation as if I have it anyway...

Main thing I think is rest. But your doc might prescribe an antibiotic for chest infection over the phone at the moment?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your GP is being asked to refer you based on your medical history. They are a first point of call and will be aware if you have an underlying medical condition. They will also be fully aware if you don't have any symptoms or have an underlying condition. The purpose of this is too ease the burden on A&E or ICU, which you will most certainly need should your condition become critical.

If you are experiencing critical conditions I would get yourself off the computer immediately and down to hospital... if you have the energy.

Trust me if you are critically ill with Covid 19 you won't be thinking about logging on to bitch about the HSE or your negligent doctors.

If it's an emergency call the emergency services. Do not turn up without warning. That is negligent in the current situation TBH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

WTAF are you actually on about? You are like a broken record on here pontificating about something you lack the most basic knowledge of, not even knowing the basic advice about first calling a HCP when you have symptoms or how referrals are being made to testing centres. All you are doing is belittling people who are sick and demonstrating a lot more knowledge about what's going on than you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s printed on the door of my docs and chemist fir last 2weeks or so.

My docs have been outstanding on the phone. Been dealing with them since Saturday. High temps, sore hoarse throat, dry cough but no breathing issues. Have felt myself it’s chest/laryngitis infection. Knew I needed antibiotics.
    Rang yesterday as I couldn’t stop sleeping scary no energy, they agreed to see me, all gowned up in outside tent and I’m hugely improved now. So doc feels I don’t have covid. He re referred me to list but he reckons I still won’t get tested and I’m ok with that.

As stated by others hse advice is that no one enters doctor or chemist or turn up at a& E with prior discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Got tested this morning in Swords. For all the debate here and everywhere about the changes in testing criteria and subsequent confusion the test centre was run very efficiently. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

I wasn't told when to expect results. My symptoms have actually gotten a lot milder since I was referred. I still have a sore throat and heavy breathing. Cough, windpipe/chest pain and general aches have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

My wife was tested on 20th, no results back she still has cough and chest tightness but improved slightly. I have no symptoms but I'm due in work (pharma) tomorrow night. I presume I can't go in until she gets a negative or the 14 days from 1st symptoms are up?

Bojill wrote: »
    My wife was tested on 20th, no results back she still has cough and chest tightness but improved slightly. I have no symptoms but I'm due in work (pharma) tomorrow night. I presume I can't go in until she gets a negative or the 14 days from 1st symptoms are up?

I don’t think you can to be honest. When did she start getting symptoms? As I said above they should be doing some analysis of the positive but mild symptoms and giving presumptive diagnoses based on that.... many reported positives without fever....

I can’t believe the test results are taking so long although I was told 3-5 working days so I suppose you’re still in that timeframe... I suppose they must/should be prioritising healthcare workers.

• Advertisement

I don’t think you can to be honest. When did she start getting symptoms? As I said above they should be doing some analysis of the positive but mild symptoms and giving presumptive diagnoses based on that.... many reported positives without fever....

I can’t believe the test results are taking so long although I was told 3-5 working days so I suppose you’re still in that timeframe... I suppose they must/should be prioritising healthcare workers.

Symptoms started on 16th, so 14 days are up on Monday. Surely everyday is a working day? She was told 36 hours at the time of the test.
    And yes they should be prioritising.

Symptoms started on 16th, so 14 days are up on Monday. Surely everyday is a working day? She was told 36 hours at the time of the test.
    And yes they should be prioritising.

You are right every day should be a working day! But they’ll use any kind of language to justify the delays!

I think they are being deliberately obtuse in the messaging about all of this.

You wife has symptoms but hasn’t got results within two weeks.

You don’t get a test as you have no symptoms but what if you do have it and are asymptomatic?

Meanwhile they keep referencing the potential for asymptomatic transmission as a “game-changer” (been hearing this term for about 3 weeks).

That’s a recipe for continued stealth transmission and by no fault of the asymptomatic people, they’re just doing as they’re told.....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

can I ask, anybody who has been tested positive and is isolating at home, is anybody from HSE checking in with them to see how they are doing ? if they have recovered and showing no more symptoms even if they need to stay isolated for another period, can they not be marked as recovered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

On the phone. That's the official recommendations. If you have symptoms you phone your GP and do a phone consult during which the GP will advise you on what to do. If I have Covid and went to the GP in person I could literally kill someone. No-one with respiratory symptoms or fever is meant to physically go to any medical facility without prior arrangement with the doctor/medical staff.
    Beasty wrote: »
    It's been all over the news - you should contact your GP by phone before attending

Indeed I would suggest in the current climate you contact them by phone for anything. My own GPs are only accepting any appointments by phone - their doors are locked, although they may be accepting certain patients into the practice with prior notice
    Beasty wrote: »
    If it's an emergency call the emergency services. Do not turn up without warning. That is negligent in the current situation TBH
    WTAF are you actually on about? You are like a broken record on here pontificating about something you lack the most basic knowledge of, not even knowing the basic advice about first calling a HCP when you have symptoms or how referrals are being made to testing centres. All you are doing is belittling people who are sick and demonstrating a lot more knowledge about what's going on than you are.

I should not have used the word garbage, apologies if I raised any feathers.

The tone of my post has been incorrectly interpreted. I am not apologising for that, I should not have to. What I was trying to state was that no medical facility, hospital or doctor is currently turning anyone away. But as I stated the current protocol is for people experiencing symptoms to get in contact with their GP's and seek treatment.

@ Iguana - Your statement about people being disallowed to attend a medical appointment without an appointment is very true. However if you read you post you are implying that people are not being treated, this is not correct. I respect that you are inferring that no one should attend with symptoms, for sure at a GP, but if you are seriously ill you need to be calling an ambulance, as @ Beasty has advised.

I don't appreciate the tone of your final post either. It is quite uncivil, I am not a broken record. I respect that you are ill at the moment. I am not prepared to get into an online spat with you either, but I am not belittling anyone. In fact I find it trite that you are taking this angle given the critiquing prose you managed to compose this morning, especially considering your symptoms I would have imagined you might be better advised focussing your energy on dealing with your illness rather than coming down hard ( and with foul language I might add) on any poster who seems to be disagreeing with you.
    The WHO advice is literally (actual literal quote of Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization) "We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test." "Test every suspected case, if they test positive, isolate them and find out who they have been in contact with two days before they developed symptoms and test those people too."

So yup, straight question, why do you think the HSE should contravene WHO advice? Obviously we don't have the capacity to actually do what would be best practice and carry out that testing. But lets not fuçking pretend that not having the ability to do what is recommended as best practice is somehow a good thing.

I don't agree with your criticism of the HSE on this point. They are making a judgement based on how they should manage a crisis. It is impossible to test everyone at this point, the virus won't exist by the time 6 million people have their swab tests.

I respect that you are currently ill and I hope you recover soon. I mean that sincerely.

Just a general comment

The current situation is stressful for us all. Equally much moreso for some than others

Please bear that in mind when posting and indeed when responding to others. Try and allow a little more slack as although snap reactions are not really appreciated, we need to accept some may not think too hard before pressing the submit button

...30 seconds later, presses "Submit Reply"

I should not have used the word garbage, apologies if I raised any feathers.

The tone of my post has been incorrectly interpreted. I am not apologising for that, I should not have to. What I was trying to state was that no medical facility, hospital or doctor is currently turning anyone away. But as I stated the current protocol is for people experiencing symptoms to get in contact with their GP's and seek treatment.

@ Iguana - Your statement about people being disallowed to attend a medical appointment without an appointment is very true. However if you read you post you are implying that people are not being treated, this is not correct. I respect that you are inferring that no one should attend with symptoms, for sure at a GP, but if you are seriously ill you need to be calling an ambulance, as @ Beasty has advised.

I don't appreciate the tone of your final post either. It is quite uncivil, I am not a broken record. I respect that you are ill at the moment. I am not prepared to get into an online spat with you either, but I am not belittling anyone. In fact I find it trite that you are taking this angle given the critiquing prose you managed to compose this morning, especially considering your symptoms I would have imagined you might be better advised focussing your energy on dealing with your illness rather than coming down hard ( and with foul language I might add) on any poster who seems to be disagreeing with you.

I don't agree with your criticism of the HSE on this point. They are making a judgement based on how they should manage a crisis. It is impossible to test everyone at this point, the virus won't exist by the time 6 million people have their swab tests.

I respect that you are currently ill and I hope you recover soon. I mean that sincerely.

Please stop posting on this forum, for people looking for useful info you are just cluttering things up. Maybe find a hobby or something

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Seems strange! Best of luck with it.

Went for testing this morning, have to say very impressive & very efficient. Turned up at st John rogersons quay, walked up to the barrier where I'm met by 2 gowned up navy personnel with a clip board, I'm immediately handed a surgical mask & told to put it on. Next, I'm asked for my reference number then my name, D.O.B. & address.

I'm escorted into the 1st tent which is a waiting area with six chairs spaced 2 mteres apart. There are 2 other people awaiting testing. Another navy guy with a clip board comes out & calls them through one at a time. My turn comes, I'm directed to a seat & another guy gives me some hand sanitizer whilst another guy asks for my details & my GP's details.

I'm asked to undo the mask, the procedure is explained to me, I'm handed a tissue to blow my nose prior to the swabs being taken. 1st my throat is swabbed, then my nose with the same swab. It's bagged. I'm told I'll be contacted with results in due course then handed a 'patient pack' in a clear cellophane bag containing 2 surgical masks, an information booklet that contains nothing new & 2 black bin liners. I'm then directed to leave. All in all I'm there no longer than 15 minutes.

Now its just a waiting game. My phone rings, its my job. Despite a sicknote being sent registered post they claim they haven't received it so I've not been paid & no Covid-19 related welfare payments has been received by me either. Going to be a sparse week.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

8th day waiting for a test, should I give up hope? Rang GP yesterday and she said i still meet the criteria so to keep waiting and I "might be tested".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    8th day waiting for a test, should I give up hope? Rang GP yesterday and she said i still meet the criteria so to keep waiting and I "might be tested".

I would ask to be referred again. I wouldn't rely on the first referral.

Hse said you would need to be referred again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

As mentioned before I’m a nurse in local hospital was waiting for a test. My occ health department did it for me yesterday at 3pm and I had the result today at 1pm negative result. Very quick turnaround in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

Hse said you would need to be referred again.

yeah that's what I thought but GP never mentioned it, didn't want to tell her how to do her job, assuming she knows what she's doing

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

yeah that's what I thought but GP never mentioned it, didn't want to tell her how to do her job, assuming she knows what she's doing

You need to be re referred by gp. Ring gp and ask to be.
    I was re referred yesterday and got my test tomorrow in Cork. Just got text 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

wat24 wrote: »
    As mentioned before I’m a nurse in local hospital was waiting for a test. My occ health department did it for me yesterday at 3pm and I had the result today at 1pm negative result. Very quick turnaround in fairness!

Great news!
    Best wishes to you at this very stressful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I'm in fairly unusual circumstances an interesting situation which I am going back and forth on.

I have had respiratory symptoms for x4-5 weeks. I have been informed this morning that a close colleague has tested positive. I was in close contact with them when they had the virus.

They traveled abroad and testing occurred on their day of arrival abroad (the country's protocol for new arrivals). So there is no official contact tracing occurring through the HSE here. So I can't get a close contact call, where it would happen if the person had tested positive here.

I have contacted the GP because: in the 13 days since I last had contact with the positive case, I have experienced worse symptoms than the few weeks before - including a fever (for a few hours), increased dry coughing, increased headache, and constant swollen throat which began 4 days after I was last exposed to the infected person. The last 2 days my chest has felt tight/weighted/bruised in the upper chest.

I had been putting this all down to being ill since before the first contact was confirmed in Ireland. And thinking that it was just a chest issue that was refusing to shift. But it got worse last week, so now I am not so sure, and am worried.

We have been isolating since the date I last saw this colleague, and it's the date the schools closed - bar a few shop visits.

I have contacted the GP this morning and filled out the form and waiting for the callback.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Are gps calling with results or public health?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

So I was one of the first people tested and got my results within 48hrs, I know alot of people are waiting for tests and results.

I am sure the old poll I created is outdated now that some people voted who have now been tested.

So this thread is for people who have had the test and received a result.

I really want to hear from people who are positive like myself and see how they are feeling.

Stay safe and well everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And how are you feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

deise18 wrote: »
    Are gps calling with results or public health?

Public health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Nel26

Anyone else get tested last week and still waiting on results?! Slowly cracking up and everyone is getting anxious about my results not being here yet :( slowly starting to improve - temp coming down, headache not as much and just exhausted now.

Advertisement