Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

sydthebeat wrote: »
    A close relation of mine who has symptoms (over 38 temp, aches, thirst, sore throat) was just informed by midoc that he doesn't qualify for a test as he has no underlying illness

Is that the bar that now has to be met for testing??? Like, WTF!!

That doesn’t sound correct, maybe they should try a different doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

I just got tested this morning in Croke Park. While in the queue before heading into the tunnel, the fella to my left got out of his car, walked over and started shouting at one the stewards that he only got one mask and that he wanted another one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It was MIDOC, the out of hours GP service.

Who do you suggest they contact??

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

That is correct. You need to be in an at risk group as outlined by the HSE. These include healthcare workers, pregnant women, those with confirmed contact with positive cases etc.
    Secondly, DDOC do not have access to healthlink so cant refer for testing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Snipp wrote: »
    That is correct. You need to be in an at risk group as outlined by the HSE. These include healthcare workers, pregnant women, those with confirmed contact with positive cases etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes complete sense when considering the 94% negative rate before they changed the criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Snipp wrote: »

Ok, I see, apologies for my misdirection. I had contact with someone who has it confirmed, though it wasn’t confirmed through the HSE so I reported that when asking about the referral. That probably made the difference in me qualifying for the test. That and some very mild underlying asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Brought relative for testing at the national show centre (North Dublin) this morning. Referred 26th (Thursday )

Have to say, it's a very efficient setup, name, DOB and appointment time checked on list at the gate, then drive in and put into lanes. At this point you're handed an information sheet and the patient gets masks, bin bag etc.

You wait for a little while in the car park and then the whole lane is released at once. Drive around the side and back of the building and they've maybe 15 or more testing bays. You drive forward to the furthest free bay.

Once you're parked, someone comes out and takes details again including address and phone number. Windows only ever rolled halfway down. They give a pack of pocket tissues and you blow your nose and put the tissue in the bin bag you were provided with. Another person then comes out and does the swabbing (back of mouth, then nose with same swab), again, window only halfway down. Nose looked sore, I won't lie, but it's over very quickly. Then you roll up window and you're waved on through to exit via a different gate.

We were actually a bit early (used to the time it takes to get there without the country in lockdown!) but got seen maybe 10 minutes early. Whole time from driving in the date to exiting was no more than 10-15 minutes.

Hope that helps anyone who's anxious about what the procedure is like at the NSS.

Now just to wait for results and keep fingers crossed for a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm on day 14 of self isolation as I was in Spain.

I developed a dry cough on day 7 of isolation and an itchy throat.

I got a test carried out on day 10 in Tullamore and the test centre was relatively quiet with only 2 out of the 8 car booths being used.

Today is day 14 and no test results yet. I'm looking forward to getting results and then hopefully ending islolation, I assume the testers and results can arrive over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mossie11

A friend of mine was tested in their home three weeks ago, but she was not contacted with the result. When she contacted the HSE , she was told there was no record of her been tested.
    Is there any way she can find out what happened to her test?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Did anyone get test results today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

Wife had all the symptoms bar a fever. Still has a cough and fatigue.
    Referred 16th March, Tested 20th, result by text 27th : No virus detected.
    We were 100% sure she had it.
    So is there another virus circulating that's very similar?
    I read somewhere that the test is only 85% accurate, but I'm not sure I can trust the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Any recent figures given on number of tests done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just a reminder folks a negative test results doesn’t confer immunity. Good idea to keep washing the hands and observing the social distancing. I only bring it up cos some pals got tested and each seem rather blasé about it now thinking theyre immune to it.
    No talking to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

tringle wrote: »
    Waiting now for results since 19th March. Tipperary. Afraid to be away from my phone. Ive even gone back through my phone messages in case i missed one, nothing. Still coughing and some breathlessness when walking or talking. GP says he cant treat the cough until i get the all clear. Been at home since 12th March. Last shopping done 8th March. 9 of us in the house.

Has anyone else any problems with their nose since the test. My nostil feels blocked all the time since the test.

Tested 23rd in Tipp still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Bojill wrote: »
    Wife had all the symptoms bar a fever. Still has a cough and fatigue.
    Referred 16th March, Tested 20th, result by text 27th : No virus detected.
    We were 100% sure she had it.
    So is there another virus circulating that's very similar?
    I read somewhere that the test is only 85% accurate, but I'm not sure I can trust the source.

I’ve heard the 80% accuracy rate too.

I’m also awaiting test results, day 11 of symptoms.

I can’t imagine that this isn’t it based on what I’ve been reading about it. But obviously the thought has crossed my mind that it could be another weird virus..

What symptoms did your wife have? Did she have the chest pressure and breathlessness?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 _Fluffy_

As mentioned by the poster above, I’m also wondering if there is another weird respiratory virus going around? One where the main symptom is tightness of chest/ shortness of breath?

Would anyone who was testing and had mainly/only this symptom like to share their results?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

_Fluffy_ wrote: »
    As mentioned by the poster above, I’m also wondering if there is another weird respiratory virus going around? One where the main symptom is tightness of chest/ shortness of breath?

Would anyone who was testing and had mainly/only this symptom like to share their results?

I think I read it was Iceland found 40 different mutations of it among those infected. And that’s generally a good thing as when it mutates down it weakens? I can’t recall where I saw that.

But could well be a different less severe strain flying around here too.

Tightness of chest, lung-burning and shortness of breath are the consistent symptoms I’ve had for the past 11 days.

However I’ve also had nights of chills/heats/ shivers/sweats, elevated heart-rate, headaches and fatigue. And one of the most frustrating parts of this virus I have is the up and now nature. One morning you think you’re better then whoosh it’s back on you 😩

What I will say, if this IS Coronavirus, if we didn’t start the initial restrictions when we did or half the people on my office floor would be out sick for 2-3 weeks with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bren2001

Runaways wrote: »
    Just a reminder folks a negative test results doesn’t confer immunity. Good idea to keep washing the hands and observing the social distancing. I only bring it up cos some pals got tested and each seem rather blasé about it now thinking theyre immune to it.
    No talking to some people.

Surely only a positive test infers you are now immune to this strain of the virus? Only then have you developed the antibodies to fight it. If it mutates, you've as much chance as anyone else. In that context, it's not different to the flu.

I did have a headache and fatigue but the only respiratory symptom I had was a tight chest. I tested positive (although, the HSE nor contact tracing have contacted me, I've contacted all the people who have been in contact with me personally to inform them).

I didn’t realise that, Runaways. Very interesting to hear there might be 40 different mutations. As long as getting one meant you were much less likely to get the others!

LashingLady, it’s day 13 for me and my lungs feeling normal again (first day I can sing). Energy returned on day 11. At least you have been tested so you’ll know either way.

Do you think the HSE will call you tomorrow for contact tracing, Bren2001, or have you ‘fallen through the cracks’? Fair play for taking action immediately with your contacts, and thanks for sharing your symptoms and result here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bren2001

I didn’t realise that, Runaways. Very interesting to hear there might be 40 different mutations. As long as getting one meant you were much less likely to get the others!

LashingLady, it’s day 13 for me and my lungs feeling normal again (first day I can sing). Energy returned on day 11. At least you have been tested so you’ll know either way.

Do you think the HSE will call you tomorrow for contact tracing, Bren2001, or have you ‘fallen through the cracks’? Fair play for taking action immediately with your contacts, and thanks for sharing your symptoms and result here.

The only reason I found out I tested positive is because my GP rang me. I rang the night before wondering could I cease self-isolation as it'd been 14 days. I was told no, I need to wait on the result of the test. 12 hours later after testing positive, I was told I was free to leave (still have not). I'm assuming they would have rang me anyway but I'm not sure.

The HSE have yet to contact me to inform me that I tested positive. I assume there's a glitch and contact tracing have not been informed of my test either. It's not overly important at this stage as I've informed everyone dating back to March 11th (not many people anyway, none outside of work and people I live with). I didn't see the point in going back further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

From what I understand, for recovered cases you're no less likely to catch a mutated strand, just far, far less likely to become sick from it. It will still have too much in common with the original virus you beat.

That’s a bit worrying Bren2001. When do you think you’d be happy to go out, safe in the knowledge you are no longer contagious? I know we are not meant to be going out, but for the sake of argument, how many more days would you wait beyond the recommended 14?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    From what I understand, for recovered cases you're no less likely to catch a mutated strand, just far, far less likely to become sick from it. It will still have too much in common with the original virus you beat.

Thanks 2ndcoming, reassuring to hear. Does that mean you would be just as contagious if you caught a second/different/mutated strain? Even if you were not sick with it yourself...

That’s a bit worrying Bren2001. When do you think you’d be happy to go out, safe in the knowledge you are no longer contagious? I know we are not meant to be going out, but for the sake of argument, how many more days would you wait beyond the recommended 14?

Thanks 2ndcoming, reassuring to hear. Does that mean you would be just as contagious if you caught a second/different/mutated strain? Even if you were not sick with it yourself...

I think at the moment and certainly in the West the focus is on the current crisis and they just don’t know how long immunity is for after an infection.

However there’s a few things I’ve seen said:

- Coronaviruses in general don’t mutate very quickly, so while genetic analysis has been done on the virus to identify how it has travelled they haven’t “officially” called any a new or different “strain”

- I read from a virologist in Cambridge (I’ll dig out and link) that while they might find evidence of virus being present after a certain amount of time they aren’t certain if it’s still active and contagious.

I don’t think there’s been any evidence to date of someone actually getting sick a second time from it, so it’s still reasonable to assume that an infection gives at least a short term immunity like to the flu or a cold strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Has anyone experienced an eye infection as one of their symptoms? One of my family members has suddenly got one out of the blue today, based on my reading online it seems that a very small number of the cases in China experienced something similar. They currently have no other symptoms but we're obviously concerned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

fluffy wrote:

I've read a few articles from people who tested positive and their main symptoms were chest tightness and shortness of breath. Maybe with a sore throat/tingly airways.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I did have a headache and fatigue but the only respiratory symptom I had was a tight chest. I tested positive (although, the HSE nor contact tracing have contacted me, I've contacted all the people who have been in contact with me personally to inform them).

How did you qualify for the test? Had you been abroad/have a close contact?

I'm breathing the easiest I have in 11 days. I still have some shortness of breath but on the whole, my breathing just feels strong compared to how it has been. The downside is that my chest and airways are more painful today. I'm reasoning that it's a result of my stronger breathing making them fill up more than they've been used to and it's causing pain. I really hope I'm nearing the end of it. I'm conscious that I felt better on Wednesday and then really went down again on Thursday. But it's hard not to have my hopes up that I'm through the worst of it. It's very frustrating that I may never know if it was Covid or a mysterious other respiratory illness.

LashingLady, you’ve obviously been studying! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I’m sure a lot of people, like me, are more concerned about how long they might be contagious for now, more so than about future immunity. I worry about the 14 day rule not being enough!

Iguana, in a few weeks time (hopefully) you will be able to get hold of one of those antibody tests that the UK intend to supply their residents through Boots and Amazon, and that will hopefully confirm if you have had Coronavirus or not.

In the meantime I think it would be really helpful if anyone with similar symptoms (especially the tightness of chest, shortness of breath and fatigue but without fever etc) who meet the criteria for the test share their results, like Bren2001 has kindly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Had my test on Thursday morning, still waiting on result. I feel like I've had three different illness in a row over the past 11 days. It's nothing like I've experienced before.

1. Started off with a mild cough and headaches, woke up one morning with eyes burning, that all eased off after a few days.

2. Then the cough returned much worse, burning feeling in chest, sharp pain breathing in, this lasted three days.

3. Now it's a constant headache, rare cough, and totally lost senses of smell and taste. Tried drinking coffee this morning and it tasted like hot water! I can tell if the thing I'm eating is salty or sweet but that's it, I can't taste any flavour. Tried sticking my nose into a tub of curry powder and a few candles, nothing!!

This is the Cambridge article - interesting

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/amp/cambridge-virologist-explains-what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-covid-19-9104220/

My key takeaway at the moment is that there is going to need to be a lot of research on the range of the spectrum and severity of symptoms of this virus but that’s going to take a longer time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread. But if you have symptoms it mightn't be a bad idea to jot down a brief diary/timeline of symptoms. That way if you get a positive test result or find out retrospectively that you had it, you will have a record of of how the illness went just incase it's ever helpful for the purposes of future study. I typed everything into a draft email, so on the off chance it's ever useful to anyone I have it all saved. (Or I have a little diary of that time I got through a pandemic by being a hypochondriac with delusions of grandeur!)

Advertisement