Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like you're certainly doing your best and I hope that the family are ok but don't rush going back to work if you're still not feeling the best. It be nice to have that reassurance of a positive result though, hopefully its arrives pretty soon.

I've not followed this thread and I was just curious of the procedure after getting tested, thankfully none of my family have had any of the symptoms and don't really know of anyone thats been tested so hopefully that continues to be the case.

Thanks and keep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I suggest contacting your GP or HSE

Thanks i have. It is now exactly 3 weeks since i was tested and no results. Called HSE yesterday evening and all they said was stay self isolating and wait.
    My understanding is once i get an answer there are 2 options
    Negative, and if i have been isolating for 14 days i can now stop and leave my house. Ive been here since March 12th so thats 14 days covered no problem.
    Positive, then it seems i am clear to leave the house if i am 5 days fever free. I havent had a high temperature since March 20th. So in this instance i am also free to leave.
    So once i get a result i am free to leave but until i get a result i cant. I am still coughing, i dont believe i have covid 19 and need to get my cough treated but GP wont until i get the all clear. It was GP that sent me for testing and to be honest it was done pretty quick. Spoke to him at 2pm, got phonecall from HSE 6pm and was tested the next day. But a waste of resources i feel if i dont get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

tringle wrote: »
    Thanks i have. It is now exactly 3 weeks since i was tested and no results. Called HSE yesterday evening and all they said was stay self isolating and wait.
    Negative, and if i have been isolating for 14 days i can now stop and leave my house. Ive been here since March 12th so thats 14 days covered no problem.
    Positive, then it seems i am clear to leave the house if i am 5 days fever free. I havent had a high temperature since March 20th. So in this instance i am also free to leave.
    So once i get a result i am free to leave but until i get a result i cant. I am still coughing, i dont believe i have covid 19 and need to get my cough treated but GP wont until i get the all clear. It was GP that sent me for testing and to be honest it was done pretty quick. Spoke to him at 2pm, got phonecall from HSE 6pm and was tested the next day. But a waste of resources i feel if i dont get an answer.

I called the HSE line to clarify this last week. You can stop self-isolating once you are 14 days post start of symptoms, and 5 days fever free. This is even if you are waiting for test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I called the HSE line to clarify this last week. You can stop self-isolating once you are 14 days post start of symptoms, and 5 days fever free. This is even if you are waiting for test results.

Thanks, that was my understanding too but HSE person on the phone yesterday said i had to stay in. I did ask could i speak to someone else to clarify this but was refused.
    Ah well, will wait it out, at least the sun has been shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thanks, that was my understanding too but HSE person on the phone yesterday said i had to stay in. I did ask could i speak to someone else to clarify this but was refused.
    Ah well, will wait it out, at least the sun has been shining.

The advice on the HSE line is clearly illogical as once you get the result (positive or negative) you're free to leave your house as you meet the criteria. If I were you, I'd leave my house for essential stuff i.e. walks for mental health and the shops for food which is in line with the rest of the country.

I doubt your GP will see you until you get a result but that's a different story. It's possible they could prescribe something for your chest over the phone or via Zoom/Skype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Got results back from my GP. Tested on the 27th, Test evaluated on the 1st of April but was never contacted. Negative so was a flu only.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

I was tested on 18th March and although I have had no formal results from the HSE I called the NVRL (National Virus Reference Lab) at UCD which has a dedicated line for Covid-19 results. Took 20 days post testing and going round the houses to find out my result.

Hope details are allowed by Admin (?) Phone number for NVRL is (01) 716 4401, select option 4. Apparently the number is manned from 8.30am-1pm and 2-5.30pm.

I got a negative result which given the symptoms I experienced I am not sure whether I believe. However, if that's the result, that's the result. It does make me wonder about the fact that reputedly the tests have a 30% false negative. Makes no difference now other than knowing whether I have any antibodies and I followed all the guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

iguana wrote: »
    I haven't had a test but am following the advice to treat any symptoms as if they were Covid. It's 18 days since symptoms first appeared, 9 since the last time I had a high temperature. I'm still having shortness of breath and chest pain though. A few times it has nearly gone away completely, then comes back. I know that according to the guidelines I'm fine to go out, but I really, really don't want to infect anyone who might be more vulnerable. Would you risk a walk? I'm thinking that a short gentle walk might actually be good for my lungs at this point and help with recovery.

Iguana I’ve had the same experience. I also have asthma and history of collapsed lung and pneumonia.....I am now on day 21 of still having chest tightness despite 1 set of steroids and 2 sets of antibiotics.... I was referred for testing March 24th, then it was cancelled, went to another gp for a second opinion on Tuesday, he referred me for testing again as doesn’t want to treat me until he knows it’s not COVID. My symptoms were more like a chest infection I would get with asthma, professed into lung pain, chest tightmesss, sweating, shivering, extreme nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue . I never got the high temperature or cough (however I never ever get a temperature when I’m sick, I tend to run cold)

I’m in day 18 on self isolating in my house,and told to continue to do so until I get a test. my husband and daughter both have asthma. I never felt bad enough to warrant an ambulance but came close to it. Concerned now as to any lasting damage on my lungs/heart. Today is the first day I’ve had any bit of energy, but the littlest things take it out of me.

Fed up with the HSE “helpline” I’ve been told so many different stories, one guy more or less shouted at me and told me to self isolate and that a test would make no difference and that if I didn’t have covid now, that I could get it in future from shopping packaging or Pets!! (Despite them saying you can’t get it from pets)

Fed up and my mental health and well as my physical health has taken a huge hit. My daughter is extremely anxious from all of this.

Harika wrote: »
    Got results back from my GP. Tested on the 27th, Test evaluated on the 1st of April but was never contacted. Negative so was a flu only.

Child was tested three days before me, called GP and they got result. Also negative. One outstanding but as 3 of 4 negative should be clear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    Had my test on Thursday morning, still waiting on result. I feel like I've had three different illness in a row over the past 11 days. It's nothing like I've experienced before.

1. Started off with a mild cough and headaches, woke up one morning with eyes burning, that all eased off after a few days.

2. Then the cough returned much worse, burning feeling in chest, sharp pain breathing in, this lasted three days.

3. Now it's a constant headache, rare cough, and totally lost senses of smell and taste. Tried drinking coffee this morning and it tasted like hot water! I can tell if the thing I'm eating is salty or sweet but that's it, I can't taste any flavour. Tried sticking my nose into a tub of curry powder and a few candles, nothing!!
    Tested positive after two week wait, didn't have a fever once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How do you feel now Shane, are your symptoms gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yeah full recovery been fine for over a week

Good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Day 15 - no results.

How are you feeling iguana?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone of you who were sick like you've never experienced before but came back with a negative result and phoned the GP about it, what did the GP say?

anyone of you who were sick like you've never experienced before but came back with a negative result and phoned the GP about it, what did the GP say?

Maybe not as sick as ever before but Dr said flu season was ongoing and mentioned "other possible infection"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Got tested yesterday. Started bout 10 days ago sore throat cough which is strange cause I never cough. Symptoms eased then came back cough sore throat aches very hard to move arms legs. Rang doctor he said self isolate so I started and again symptoms disappear last Sunday back again Tuesday morning couldn't move outta bed night time comes very hard to breathe. My wife got me to ring South doc bout hospital but I'd it in my head you don't contact hospital unless you've a fever. Which I haven't had so she rang them they told her once I can breathe I'm OK stay home unless I can't breathe. So next day my gp rang told me go hospital for oxygen test. They done their tests and found a lung infection. So they done a swab test. I was thinking it was like big ear bud gentle swab inside nose nd throat but not its like a tiny brush way up your nostril my eyes watered for ages after it worst sensation ever. Anyway still achey tired on couch 3 days now which I never do. Binge watching walking dead waiting on results said be either today or tomorrow

I'd often get cold or flu but I'd manage it whatever this is has really knocked me

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

dave1982 wrote: »
    Got tested yesterday. Started bout 10 days ago sore throat cough which is strange cause I never cough. Symptoms eased then came back cough sore throat aches very hard to move arms legs. Rang doctor he said self isolate so I started and again symptoms disappear last Sunday back again Tuesday morning couldn't move outta bed night time comes very hard to breathe. My wife got me to ring South doc bout hospital but I'd it in my head you don't contact hospital unless you've a fever. Which I haven't had so she rang them they told her once I can breathe I'm OK stay home unless I can't breathe. So next day my gp rang told me go hospital for oxygen test. They done their tests and found a lung infection. So they done a swab test. I was thinking it was like big ear bud gentle swab inside nose nd throat but not its like a tiny brush way up your nostril my eyes watered for ages after it worst sensation ever. Anyway still achey tired on couch 3 days now which I never do. Binge watching walking dead waiting on results said be either today or tomorrow

I'd often get cold or flu but I'd manage it whatever this is has really knocked me

This is exactly how I’ve been. Sounds like your gp has been proactive which is good (mine has been beyond useless despite me living in a high risk household and having had a collapsed lung!)
    I really hope you feel better soon, it’s a rotten feeling. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Unreg0909 wrote: »
    This is exactly how I’ve been. Sounds like your gp has been proactive which is good (mine has been beyond useless despite me living in a high risk household and having had a collapsed lung!)
    I really hope you feel better soon, it’s a rotten feeling. Take care

I wouldn't have been tested only for South doc sending my GP info on phonecall night before. They very slow to test. I don't know if it shortage of testing kits or are trying keep numbers down by not testing. Once you're at home self isolating they're happy.

Crazy they haven't tested you cause of your circumstances. I've no underlying conditions or my family. Are you back to normal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

How are you feeling iguana?

Pretty much better since Monday evening. The breathing and chest exercises I started last week made a huge difference. I had an incredibly active day yesterday and started having trouble catching my breath by the evening. But I did some breathing exercises again before bed and they helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Got test done 2 weeks ago today. Work keep ringing me for result. Apart from tiredness my symptoms are gone. It’s day 4 since last high temp... so hopefully I might get out to buy kids Easter eggs tomorrow....
    it was a fairly tough 16days of being sick. Never experienced anything like it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭py

Unreg0909 wrote: »

The family member we've been waiting on results for has asthma and previously had a collapsed lung. There was no hesitation when they called with symptoms in referring them for a test. Either pressure your GP in to getting a test or get a new GP. Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Day number 17 since I was tested and I just received a call from HSE for a negative test result.

I still have an itchy throat and cough but all clear,

Cant bloody wait to go to the shop for the first time in almost a month as I had been self isolating for ten days prior to test as I'd been in Spain during their lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Harika wrote: »
    Maybe not as sick as ever before but Dr said flu season was ongoing and mentioned "other possible infection"
    have you ever got chest infection before?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Day 15 - no results.

Big Brother show goes faster than getting test results

Is the ROI system of testing and resulting fceked, back log test numbers with no clear correctanswer of numbers, 51,000 mentioned by Micheal Martin of Fianna Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Day 20 today and no results yet! And I work in HC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Hopefully you hear soon enough, I imagine your sample has now been analysed in Germany and the next backlog is the HSE going through the results to contact people.

I know a guy waiting 23 days. He works in the medical device industry and up until yesterday his work had insisted he get his results before returning to work. He got a call and said to report back to work on Tuesday, test result or no test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

20 days since your test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

For what it's worth if you get a test in the National Maternity Hospital you can get a result within 24 hours if need be. My wife had to have another taken to see if her planned section can go ahead in a few days time. Negative.

Still waiting on the previous one taken at a drive in on the 27th of March. We rang the lab and they said there's a 10-13 day wait from when they get the sample. My wife's sample didn't arrive to them until the 3rd of April so still no result. No idea where the sample spent its first week.

Advertisement