Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

They need to get rid of that part as soon as possible. GP’s hold too much sway at the best of times here, but this really is no time for them having control.

I went through DDoc on Tuesday but couldn't be referred through this service. The reasoning given to me was that my GP would handle any post-care in relation to a positive (or negative) test and was the reason why only they can request the test. Seems logical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

Most testing negative, waste of tests? no?
    I assume a fever is an absolute sure symptom.
    Are people looking to be tested with just a cough?

Most testing negative, waste of tests? no?
    I assume a fever is an absolute sure symptom.
    Are people looking to be tested with just a cough?

I was referred with just a cough. I have not had a fever. I didn't *look* to be referred but did think it was prudent to contact my GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

bren2001 wrote: »
    I was referred with just a cough. I have not had a fever. I didn't *look* to be referred but did think it was prudent to contact my GP.

As was I, still awaiting a test, but when I phoned to get an appointment for my chest, and advised my partner had been in Rome 3 weeks ago, it was recommended I be put forward for a test.

To the poster above People aren’t being granted a test by asking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

You had a cough and no other symptoms. If you hadn't travelled or been in contact with a confirmed case then your act was not prudent but a waste of our healthcare personnels time and resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You had a cough and no other symptoms. If you hadn't travelled or been in contact with a confirmed case then your act was not prudent but a waste of our healthcare personnels time and resources.

And if it comes back positive what will you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For your own sake would be better to know as you would have some immunity and you wouldn't have to wonder whether you can still contract it or not.

Can you contract it twice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Unsure at this stage.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Anyone says that they know the answer to that is lying.

My GP seems to disagree with you and referred me for testing. My sister who is working in ICU seems to disagree with you and is the one who advised me to call the GP. I called DDoc on Tuesday and a different doctor seemed to think I required a test and advised my GP to refer me. I wasted nobodies time and followed the HSE advice on the matter. 3 separate medical professionals deem that I require a test. All are aware of the exact symptoms I was experiencing. I think I'll listen to them over you.

Secondly, how the fcuk would I know if I was in contact with a confirmed case? What's the difference between a confirmed case and non-confirmed case in terms of risks towards me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My wife has been sick since Monday last week, high fever and coughing, she has asthma, on Saturday she got put on the list for a test' was told 1 to 2 days, was called back on Monday as they were trying to cut down on the length of the list, doctor saidvtgwy were leaving her on the list but didn't know when she would get tested.

Hopefully soon
    We're based in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CymbaltaMan

laurah591 wrote: »
    Did you get results?

Finally got my results today - Negative! This time

Why do I say this time?

I work in a hospital and will have interaction with virus carriers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Why do I say this time?

Did you get a call or text? Still waiting for a test for my child.

My GP seems to disagree with you and referred me for testing. My sister who is working in ICU seems to disagree with you and is the one who advised me to call the GP. I called DDoc on Tuesday and a different doctor seemed to think I required a test and advised my GP to refer me. I wasted nobodies time and followed the HSE advice on the matter. 3 separate medical professionals deem that I require a test. All are aware of the exact symptoms I was experiencing. I think I'll listen to them over you.

Secondly, how the fcuk would I know if I was in contact with a confirmed case? What's the difference between a confirmed case and non-confirmed case in terms of risks towards me?

Enlighten me with what your symptoms were that 3 medical professionals, your sister included,deemed you to require a test. it must have been more than the cough you mentioned.

Akrasia wrote: »
    My wife has been sick since Monday last week, high fever and coughing, she has asthma, on Saturday she got put on the list for a test' was told 1 to 2 days, was called back on Monday as they were trying to cut down on the length of the list, doctor saidvtgwy were leaving her on the list but didn't know when she would get tested.

Hopefully soon
    We're based in Clare

Is that where Dr. Saidvtgwy is based?

Enlighten me with what your symptoms were that 3 medical professionals, your sister included,deemed you to require a test. it must have been more than the cough you mentioned.

A cough, a dry cough to be specific. No shortness of breath, no fever, nothing else. Personally think it's overkill myself but its not my decision to make. I've self isolated since as per the GPs advice. I meet the criteria to be tested, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I had a cough, mild fever and sore throat. I doubt I have it but, I got tested Wednesday. I work in a nursing home and the risks for the residents is too great. So my doctor told me to stay away and arranged a tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

There are people with no symptoms testing positive. This person’s GP was proactive in referring them for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Why do I say this time?

Brilliant that's great so far. Did they ring or text. I had a test Monday and haven't heard anything yet x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Can you get put on a testing centre waiting list local to you if your doctor is based in another county?

• Advertisement

How doesn’t the whole process work anyway? I gathered that you phone the HSE number, so where does the GP get involved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

How doesn’t the whole process work anyway? I gathered that you phone the HSE number, so where does the GP get involved?

Are you not meant to call your gp?

timhenn wrote: »
    Are you not meant to call your gp?

A few people told me not to if I had symptoms. There was some 1850 (or similar) HSE number to phone first. Maybe they contact the GP but I don’t know how they decide because presumably they don’t want you to go in and they surely won’t be coming out. Might just need to talk to them at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I called my GP she asked me questions and then put me into the sytem. I got a text the next day with info on the time and where to go. Drove up and waited in my car for my turn to go in to get swabbed.

A few people told me not to if I had symptoms. There was some 1850 (or similar) HSE number to phone first. Maybe they contact the GP but I don’t know how they decide because presumably they don’t want you to go in and they surely won’t be coming out.

Call your GP and they do a consultation over the phone. They then refer you using an online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

timhenn wrote: »
    Can you get put on a testing centre waiting list local to you if your doctor is based in another county?
    Yes

Call your GP and they do a consultation over the phone. They then refer you using an online system.

That really is a new one on me. I can’t find the number now but I was sure I’d seen numerous places to ring some HSE line.

There’s not a snowballs chance I’d get through to my GP anyway so I hope to Christ I don’t get symptoms. That changes a lot and adds a load more worry.

That really is a new one on me. I can’t find the number now but I was sure I’d seen numerous places to ring some HSE line.

There’s not a snowballs chance I’d get through to my GP anyway so I hope to Christ I don’t get symptoms. That changes a lot and adds a load more worry.

They changed the guidelines aswell on Monday that GPs can refer you now too.

ja1986 wrote: »
    They changed the guidelines aswell on Monday that GPs can refer you now too.

So is there still a HSE number that you can ring as well as this? I’d rather the authorities instructing my GP to make contact (or at least not ignore me) rather than just leaving it up to the doctor themselves.

• Advertisement

So is there still a HSE number that you can ring as well as this? I’d rather the authorities instructing my GP to make contact (or at least not ignore me) rather than just leaving it up to the doctor themselves.

Yes the hse number is still going.

Advertisement