Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

capefear wrote: »
    Got the results back from the test on Friday, this morning - negative.

So now please god it’s just rest and repair any damage done. The last few weeks have turned me in to a nervous wreck.

Not surprising you feel like that after what you’ve been through. Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I contacted the NVRL. They had my results. Not sure why I wasn’t contacted .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

OH got a phone call from the shop manager of the Builder's Providers she works at yesterday to say he got a positive result.
    He has been sick for weeks - has an underlying condition and frankly lied to get the test by saying he had fever. Results took just under a week to come through. He is now coming out the other side.

As he has underlying conditions he was being as careful as possible and apart from going to work (where he wore mask and gloves) he didn't leave the house.
    At work he stationed himself at the door to enforce the 2 customers at a time rule (although some did sneak in through the yard/warehouse). The timeline of when he got ill suggests he was infected just before Hardware shops were closed. We are waiting to see if OH gets contact traced but it was so along ago that's pointless. I was very ill a few weeks ago - same time period - but tested negative. I have been in isolation since March 13th.

This is why I get annoyed when people call for Hardware stores to be open as they are bored and fancy doing a bit of DIY. DIY is not essential, and opening puts the staff at unnecessary risk. He was most likely infected at work.

This is now the 4rd person in Cork I know who has been infected, all of them are in their 40s/50s. 1 is a HCW who was infected at work, 3 are community transmissions (one probably at work by a customer) with no clear idea of where infection took place. All of them say they have never been so sick in their lives.

My Mother's first cousin in NY died.

It is quite possible that other usual viral infections have set in. The coronavirus lowers immunity for a while, which would allow further infections to set in. Similar happens with other viruses, some years you get a string of upper respiratory tract infections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This is why I get annoyed when people call for Hardware stores to be open as they are bored and fancy doing a bit of DIY. DIY is not essential, and opening puts the staff at unnecessary risk. He was most likely infected at work.
    I hear you B, however what about the shops, supermarkets and garages that have been open day in day out with large footfalls throughout? Where are their infected and sick?

I thought of this in another thread and it seems pretty bloody obvious to me, but why don't the authorities pick a few supermarkets in areas with a peak of positives and test the workers? It would take up a small number of tests and time and money and would give a pretty good snapshot of how this infection might be spreading, or indeed not spreading in indoor shared spaces in the community.

If quite a percentage of infected are found then we could look to dealing with that with extra precautions(more wiping down of shared surfaces, masks for all on both sides of the till, lower numbers allowed in at once etc). If however very few or no infected are found it could also give us a roadmap back to opening up more of our society.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

theballz wrote: »
    Tested 15 days ago, still no results. It’s shambolic
    They often send the results to your GP first. Give him / her a ring in the morning.

So my GP emailed me this morning, I tested negative which I am completely amazed with.

I had every single symptom and was knocked for 10 for a good 3/4 days over a fairly difficult 2 week period. I am actually more worried now testing negative than I would've been testing positive but I am well past the symptoms. I am concerned as to what exactly happened to me during the two week period that I was unwell and why I was having breathing difficulties in parallel with high temperature and loss of smell/taste buds.

I had not heard anything from HSE. I have read that they text you if you are negative but I never received that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So my GP emailed me this morning, I tested negative which I am completely amazed with.

I had every single symptom and was knocked for 10 for a good 3/4 days over a fairly difficult 2 week period. I am actually more worried now testing negative than I would've been testing positive but I am well past the symptoms. I am concerned as to what exactly happened to me during the two week period that I was unwell and why I was having breathing difficulties in parallel with high temperature and loss of smell/taste buds.

I had not heard anything from HSE. I have read that they text you if you are negative but I never received that.

It sounds like a false negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

My brother in law had some mild symptoms and tested positive, my sister/his wife was caring for him and was floored about a week later with worse symptoms and tested negative. False negatives/positives happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

macnug wrote: »
    My brother in law had some mild symptoms and tested positive, my sister/his wife was caring for him and was floored about a week later with worse symptoms and tested negative. False negatives/positives happen.

The results that people receive either say that the virus was detected or not detected. The results do not say positive or negative.

The current molecular methods of testing are specific to SARS-CoV-2.
    That means the chances of getting a false positive result are extremely low.

The term 'false negative' implies that laboratory analysis did not detect the virus when it was present. However, there are a number of pre-analytical factors that can effect the swab sample prior to it even reaching the laboratory.

The quality of the sample is hugely important to a patient receiving accurate results. If the swab was taken incorrectly, transported inappropriately or handled improperly before analysis, this could compromise the sample and cause the virus to not be detected. If there aren't enough viral particles on the swab the virus cannot be detected. If a person's ear was swabbed instead of their nose, the virus would not be detected!

If a person becomes infected and is tested minutes or even hours later, the virus will likely not be detected. That is not the same thing as a false negative result. It means there hasn't been sufficient time for the virus to replicate within the person to a level that can be detected.
    That same person could be tested again a week later and if they are shedding enough of the virus, it will be detected.

If a patient has symptoms and has had close contact with a known case and they receive a negative result, their GP may refer them again for a second test if they still highly suspect the person has Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

The results that people receive either say that the virus was detected or not detected. The results do not say positive or negative.

The current molecular methods of testing are specific to SARS-CoV-2.
    That means the chances of getting a false positive result are extremely low.

The term 'false negative' implies that laboratory analysis did not detect the virus when it was present. However, there are a number of pre-analytical factors that can effect the swab sample prior to it even reaching the laboratory.

The quality of the sample is hugely important to a patient receiving accurate results. If the swab was taken incorrectly, transported inappropriately or handled improperly before analysis, this could compromise the sample and cause the virus to not be detected. If there aren't enough viral particles on the swab the virus cannot be detected. If a person's ear was swabbed instead of their nose, the virus would not be detected!

If a person becomes infected and is tested minutes or even hours later, the virus will likely not be detected. That is not the same thing as a false negative result. It means there hasn't been sufficient time for the virus to replicate within the person to a level that can be detected.
    That same person could be tested again a week later and if they are shedding enough of the virus, it will be detected.

If a patient has symptoms and has had close contact with a known case and they receive a negative result, their GP may refer them again for a second test if they still highly suspect the person has Covid.

SVUH Your recent test at St. Vincent's for COVID19 was NEGATIVE.

This is the message I got about my results on Monday from Vincent’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

SVUH Your recent test at St. Vincent's for COVID19 was NEGATIVE.

This is the message I got about my results on Monday from Vincent’s

Was that a text message?

The lab LIS systems wouldn't report results in that format, but the people texting or ringing patients might.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Was that a text message?

The lab LIS systems wouldn't report results in that format, but the people texting or ringing patients might.

Yep it was a text from Vincent’s

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi I just got my results today, it was negative I don’t know how it was I was full sure I had it ,my doctor thinks I still had it but by the time I was tested it wasn’t detected. Can anyone explain how antibodies work can my antibodies be tested are they even doing that yet, I’m very worried that I’m now sick in some other way if I didn’t have the virus. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi I just got my results today, it was negative I don’t know how it was I was full sure I had it ,my doctor thinks I still had it but by the time I was tested it wasn’t detected. Can anyone explain how antibodies work can my antibodies be tested are they even doing that yet, I’m very worried that I’m now sick in some other way if I didn’t have the virus. Thanks

Antibodies form to fight the virus if you had it, but there is no antibody testing available yet here unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Got the results back from the test on Friday, this morning - negative.

So now please god it’s just rest and repair any damage done. The last few weeks have turned me in to a nervous wreck.

I just read your pervious few posts and completely understand I got sick in late Feb early March with what started with tickle in throat then went to sore throat a little cough that went away then followed by shortness of breath chest pains fever flu like symptoms etc.

My chest pain never went away nor did my cough it is still here more than ever and breathing is still not 100% my right lung feels knackered to be honest.

I am due for a test in the morning finally after two test dates cancelled by the HSE lets see the results.

Ok thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Has anyone been refused a test?
    I called my GP today as I'm experiencing flu like symptoms, fever, tightness in my chest, headaches, sore throat and extreme tiredness.
    I was told it sounds like Covid but as I have no underlining health problems, I'm not eligible for a test.
    So does this mean, if I do have it, I'm not counted in the numbers as having it. How many other are going around with it but not being tested either? I just find it very strange as I thought they were meant to be upping the numbers of tests.

I think this is silly that your not being tested , you have more than two symptoms, I would try your gp again just say your worried and you really think you should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm getting tested tomorrow.
    No symptoms.
    But has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

SnrInfant wrote: »
    Has anyone been refused a test?
    I called my GP today as I'm experiencing flu like symptoms, fever, tightness in my chest, headaches, sore throat and extreme tiredness.
    I was told it sounds like Covid but as I have no underlining health problems, I'm not eligible for a test.
    So does this mean, if I do have it, I'm not counted in the numbers as having it. How many other are going around with it but not being tested either? I just find it very strange as I thought they were meant to be upping the numbers of tests.

You will only be tested if you are a 1st line worker or in the 'vulnerable' category, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I contacted the NVRL. They had my results. Not sure why I wasn’t contacted .

Who did you contact to get the result? I was tasted over a week ago and haven't heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Ok didn't get tested; I was asked to travel to the test centre via taxi or public transport which I refused to do. I said I will make my own way via cycling but the weather was so bad yesterday I would have ended up soaking wet arriving at the test centre, so I didn't go.

I rang the HSE and told them I am unable to travel, and their response was OK so you don't want to be tested so and they basically closed the conversation at that.

The doctor contacted the HSE and asked for an ambulance service to be arranged but they refused.

So it looks like I am never going to be tested, I also had two pervious test dates that were cancelled by the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

blade1 wrote: »
    I'm getting tested tomorrow.
    No symptoms.
    But has to be done.

why, you shouldn't waste the HSE's time like this if you dont have any symptoms.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the more tests the better,
    ideally the whole population should be tested

• Subscribers Posts: 41,538 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My wife called doctors this morning at 10:30 with sinus issues. As she's in a high risk group the doctor wanted her to get tested. She got a text about 15mins after with a 2:30pm time. Got a phone call about 15mins after that telling her she could come in anytime after noon. She got there for 1pm and was tested immediately.

Very efficient system.

Hopefully the results will be as streamlined.

Does anyone know if you get results by text or phone call, and will you get results if you turn out negative??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ELM327 wrote: »
    the more tests the better,
    ideally the whole population should be tested

only those showing symptoms should be tested , theres a shortage of personnel and testing kits as it is, in time certainly but definitely not now should everyone be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

sydthebeat wrote: »
    My wife called doctors this morning at 10:30 with sinus issues. As she's in a high risk group the doctor wanted her to get tested. She got a text about 15mins after with a 2:30pm time. Got a phone call about 15mins after that telling her she could come in anytime after noon. She got there for 1pm and was tested immediately.

Very efficient system.

Hopefully the results will be as streamlined.

Does anyone know if you get results by text or phone call, and will you get results if you turn out negative??

I am also in a high risk group, got tested within 24 hours and notified of negative result by GP within 24 hours of test, and received official text from HSE another 12 hours after that. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

jonnny68 wrote: »
    only those showing symptoms should be tested , theres a shortage of personnel and testing kits as it is, in time certainly but definitely not now should everyone be tested.

That person might be working in a nursing home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

stevek93 wrote: »
    Ok didn't get tested; I was asked to travel to the test centre via taxi or public transport which I refused to do.

Why can't you avail of these travel options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

jonnny68 wrote: »
    why, you shouldn't waste the HSE's time like this if you dont have any symptoms.:mad:

Who's the angry face at?
    Did u just ignore the have to bit, so you could be angry?

Advertisement