Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

degsie wrote: »
    Why can't you avail of these travel options?

Are you serious? I will risk contaminating the bus or infecting passengers on the bus or infecting the taxi driver if I do have the virus. People with your mentally are the one's who are spreading this virus unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

stevek93 wrote: »
    Are you serious? I will risk contaminating the bus or infecting passengers on the bus or infecting the taxi driver if I do have the virus. People with your mentally are the one's who are spreading this virus unfortunately.

Hmmmm...pretty sure you meant mentality, but yeah it's my fault you are not getting tested, sorry.

How come you wouldn't infect an ambulance crew? Just curious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

SnrInfant wrote: »
    How many other are going around with it but not being tested either? I just find it very strange as I thought they were meant to be upping the numbers of tests.

The odds are the vast majority of people who have had or do have Covid won't be tested in Ireland. We only test health care workers, people with particular underlying conditions and some contact traced people but nowhere near all. The majority of our population don't fall into those narrow groups, so the strong likelihood is that the majority of people who contracted the virus are unconfirmed cases. This brings up a lot of issues as by not testing symptomatic people, we don't get to learn how the virus presents. We don't get to see for ourselves what symptoms are most prevalent in our population. We don't get to monitor mild cases and learn how long they take to get recover and advise people with mild cases how to take care of themselves. Considering that new information from Korea is that 37% of mild cases take a minimum of 4 weeks to recover, many people with mild cases are getting, very, very bad selfcare advice.

degsie wrote: »
    Hmmmm...pretty sure you meant mentality, but yeah it's my fault you are not getting tested, sorry.

How come you wouldn't infect an ambulance crew? Just curious.

Do you have a purpose to post in this thread or are you just here to criticise?

An ambulance crew are wearing the appropriate PPE equipment and are aware the person might be covid postive, the taxi driver will not be wearing the appropriate PPE equipment and will not be aware their passenger may be covid postive or nor will the passengers on the bus.

I wouldn't like to think now everyone on Dublin Bus is now using it to travel to these tese centres cause they have been told to do so by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

iguana wrote: »
    The odds are the vast majority of people who have had or do have Covid won't be tested in Ireland. We only test health care workers, people with particular underlying conditions and some contact traced people but nowhere near all. The majority of our population don't fall into those narrow groups, so the strong likelihood is that the majority of people who contracted the virus are unconfirmed cases. This brings up a lot of issues as by not testing symptomatic people, we don't get to learn how the virus presents. We don't get to see for ourselves what symptoms are most prevalent in our population. We don't get to monitor mild cases and learn how long they take to get recover and advise people with mild cases how to take care of themselves. Considering that new information from Korea is that 37% of mild cases take a minimum of 4 weeks to recover, many people with mild cases are getting, very, very bad selfcare advice.

I find that so scary, so their numbers are completely off? In my naivety, I was taking in the daily figures religiously every night. Obviously it’s all bollox 😡

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I find that so scary, so their numbers are completely off? In my naivety, I was taking in the daily figures religiously every night. Obviously it’s all bollox 😡

We are only testing from a small group of people. So a possible way to get an idea of how many infections we have had/have is to extrapolate from our mortality rate. The likely mortality rate is somewhere between 0.5-2%. We currently have 1232 dead. That indicates that we may have somewhere between 62,600-246,400 infections. It's not an exact way of working it out but it's a rough indicator that at the moment probably gives us a better picture than the numbers from our testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cadea

I've been sick since March 23rd, never bad enough to get really worried as I've had no breathing issues but bad enough. Cough on and off, deep but dry, constant exhaustion with most joints and muscles aching, if I try and raise my hands over my head I can't.

Headache, can't concentrate, not sleeping well, no appetite, bad taste in my mouth most of the time and not much of a sense of smell.

I was tested on the 7th of April but haven't gotten results, I rang the nvrl but they couldn't tell me anything as the test didn't go to them. They could see in the system that I was tested but not where the test went or what it's status is.

The only advise I've had is to continue to self isolate, rest, take fluids and paracetamol.

Not sure if there's much of a point to this story only that I'm convinced I have it, it's a mild case of it and almost 6 weeks later I'm still in bits, which is fairly close to what iguana is saying about what is coming out from Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

cadea wrote: »

I was tested on the 7th of April but haven't gotten results, I rang the nvrl but they couldn't tell me anything as the test didn't go to them. They could see in the system that I was tested but not where the test went or what it's status is.

Tested on the 22nd, all nvrl can tell me is the date I was entered in the system. Called my go as nvrl suggested, no info from them. I feel fine now, but I have to spend the bank holiday in isolation as I don't have a negative result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Test done less than an hour ago.
    Swabs up the nose were fairly nasty experience.
    Could feel it on the top of my head when she done one side.
    Will have the results in a few hours but I'd be amazed if I had it.
    Got my temperature and blood pressure taken as well and they are fine.

blade1 wrote: »

I got mine done this morning, how will you have the results in a few hours?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »
    I hear you B, however what about the shops, supermarkets and garages that have been open day in day out with large footfalls throughout? Where are their infected and sick?

I have just this morning heard of two supermarket workers who have recently tested positive. Not naming store for obvious reasons and have no more detail.

I got mine done this morning, how will you have the results in a few hours?????

I'm in for a procedure. :(

Results just back and negative.

I'm in for a procedure. :(

Ok sorry get well soon.

Ok sorry get well soon.

Thanks.
    Procedure went well and I'm home now and just had my first meal since 6am yesterday morning.
    Was told to do nothing for 24 hours but I'm feeling strong as an ox!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

fits wrote: »
    I have just this morning heard of two supermarket workers who have recently tested positive. Not naming store for obvious reasons and have no more detail.

3 wprkers in my löcaö supermarket have tested positive too.

3 wprkers in my löcaö supermarket have tested positive too.

Two close relations of mine tested postive and work in a supermarket. I wasnt surprised as the whole public is ontop of them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IndigoStar

Tested at a drive thru centre yesterday. I'm in an at risk group. Still have temp and other symptoms today. Waiting game now for results.

Still waiting for a result 12 days later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

McGaggs wrote: »

Did you ring HSE? Reason I ask is I know a person that was waiting 4 weeks rang dr and he heard nothing so rang HSE and they informed person the test was positive. Would still be waiting if they disnt ring I’d say ...

The poll here was done very early on my answer to it has now changed I'd say a lot of others have as well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

McGaggs wrote:
    Your test is probably done. Ring the NVRL.

There seems to be a disconnect from the service that conatcts patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭line_of_fire

I was tested on the 28th and was told be 48 hrs as I am a health care worker. Still no results. Have rang nvrl every day. The sample isn't in there lab, they have no way of knowing which lab it is in and I can't go back to work until I have a result. I work in labs and I can safely say we are not where we need to be testing wise to ease up on restrictions.

I was tested on the 28th and was told be 48 hrs as I am a health care worker. Still no results. Have rang nvrl every day. The sample isn't in there lab, they have no way of knowing which lab it is in and I can't go back to work until I have a result. I work in labs and I can safely say we are not where we need to be testing wise to ease up on restrictions.

If you are a healthcare worker, your sample should have gone to your local hospital.

You said you work in labs? Did you contact your local hospital laboratory?

If you are a healthcare worker, your sample should have gone to your local hospital.

You said you work in labs? Did you contact your local hospital laboratory?

I work in my local lab so it didn't go there. My hospital dodnt organise testing as I had no fever, every other symptom hut no fever so didn't meet their criteria so had to go through GP. It was taken at drive through centre so could be anywhere.

costacorta wrote: »
    Did you ring HSE? Reason I ask is I know a person that was waiting 4 weeks rang dr and he heard nothing so rang HSE and they informed person the test was positive. Would still be waiting if they disnt ring I’d say ...

Rang them, they're passing my details to 'Public Health' for a call back.

Your test is probably done. Ring the NVRL.

There seems to be a disconnect from the service that conatcts patients.

NVRL didn't get my test. Someone else is looking after it apparently

• Advertisement

I work in my local lab so it didn't go there. My hospital dodnt organise testing as I had no fever, every other symptom hut no fever so didn't meet their criteria so had to go through GP. It was taken at drive through centre so could be anywhere.

I understand if you don't want to say where your local hospital is to protect your privacy. Some hospitals are providing testing for other smaller hospitals.

Letterkenny were processing samples for Mayo University hospital. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
    Sligo are processing samples for Roscommon and Portiunlca hospitals.
    The Rotunda are providing testing for The Coombe, Holles St, Temple St and Cavan Hospital.
    St Vincents are also doing a large number of tests.

If any of those is your hospital it might give you an idea where your sample went to.

Advertisement