Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

How do you a home test done. If you are unable to travel to the test centre? When the HSE rang me they asked me to visit Croke park but I cant I'm to sick and I dont drive so they said ring your doctor so. Not to sure what to do now? All doctor can do is request a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

stevek93 wrote: »
    How do you a home test done. If you are unable to travel to the test centre? When the HSE rang me they asked me to visit Croke park but I cant I'm to sick and I dont drive so they said ring your doctor so. Not to sure what to do now? All doctor can do is request a test.

I saw a message regarding a test booking, there is an option on it to click something like 'unable to travel to test'.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/what-happens-during-the-test.html

Testing in your home

If you cannot attend a test centre, you may be tested at home.

A healthcare worker will call to your home with a testing kit.

They will use a swab to take a sample from inside back of your throat and nose.

You will be asked to give them some personal details - this is so we can contact you with your results.

derra wrote: »
    I saw a message regarding a test booking, there is an option on it to click something like 'unable to travel to test'.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/what-happens-during-the-test.html

Testing in your home

If you cannot attend a test centre, you may be tested at home.

A healthcare worker will call to your home with a testing kit.

They will use a swab to take a sample from inside back of your throat and nose.

You will be asked to give them some personal details - this is so we can contact you with your results.

When I was being tested late last month my GP requested a home test which when the HSE rang me for the test date they mentioned to come to crokepark I said I cant travel and their advise was to contact my GP so I did. My GP put in a request for me to be tested at home and again they rang and said come to crokepark I told them my GP has requested a home test again the answer was you better contact your GP. So the GP requested a 3rd home test and same thing happened so I got fed up accepted crokepark hopped on my bike and cycled to the test centre.

Now today I am in getting the same response.

My GP requested for me to be tested at home this morning. The HSE rang shortly there after and asked to come to crokepark I told them I am in bed with a fever and dont drive I cant travel I need a home test they said I'll get a manager to contact you and the call ended. This evening I rang back for asking for an update on the "manager" there was no record of a manager to ring me and was told again to contact my GP as the GP didnt mention a home test which I do very well believe she did and I was being told a lie.

So it looks like I get to crokepark or dont be tested, has anyone actually been home tested? Why is the HSE making it so difficult and also is anyone else having the same issue? There is people out there sick with the virus and cant be test so we dont see it in the daily report? Im totally confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Tomorrow for me

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought ambulance drivers we going out doing tests when someone is isolated, cannot get to a testing centre

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought ambulance drivers we going out doing tests when someone is isolated, cannot get to a testing centre

In my case that isnt happening one time I was told to get public transport to a test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

I got an invite to go to a test centre at the end of March, only don't have a car. Rang back to the GP and they organised a home test one week later.. came out as negative but by that time it was already three weeks since the first symptoms appeared. Feeling much better since, sense of smell is back, no headaches/fever only I'm still mildly coughing now and then, not sure if that's still related to covid19.

IQO wrote: »
    I got an invite to go to a test centre at the end of March, only don't have a car. Rang back to the GP and they organised a home test one week later.. came out as negative but by that time it was already three weeks since the first symptoms appeared. Feeling much better since, sense of smell is back, no headaches/fever only I'm still mildly coughing now and then, not sure if that's still related to covid19.

That's good you are on the mend.

Got tested this morning. It's a grim enough experience. Third time been tested so hopefully negative again.

HSE rang again today "About your request to be tested ehh you know you tested negative recently? Goodbye". :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

My niece was tested on Monday morning and got results (negative) this morning. That's a reasonable turnaround.

Is the flu still going around? I am debating whether I have a flu or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

:rolleyes: Phone your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'll have the predicted score if that's OK?

The onset of Influenza is very abrupt, that’s what characterises it, and it’s always very debilitating but much less frequently serious. Covid is a slower burner by comparison. I can re all all the Influenzas I have ever suffered, and literally the hour they struck me. Was caught out going into town feeling ok on two such occasions, and within the space of about one hour bring struck with fever, shaking chills, and almost passing out and vomiting trying to get home on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Had a mandatory test done this morning for work. Early morning appointment meant it was easy to park at Handball Alley, nice quick in and out; about 15 minutes from arrival to leaving.

I was frankly quite scared of the test having accidentally seen a video weeks ago of a test being carried out in the US.
    Now, this wasn't a pleasant experience, but it wasn't dreadful either. Its uncomfortable, but it's not painful. The throat swab made me gag just as it finished, and I had to have both nostrils swabbed due to a deviated septum. But the nasal swab is maybe only 5 seconds, and it's done.

Tl;dr: If anyone is panicking or scared of the test (like I was), don't be. It's quick and painless with a few seconds of discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

CFlat wrote: »
    Tested yesterday at 4.30 so waiting for results. We were told they would take 24/48 hours.

Just got my Covid19 test back there now so that's just under 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Had a mandatory test done this morning for work. Early morning appointment meant it was easy to park at Handball Alley, nice quick in and out; about 15 minutes from arrival to leaving.

I was frankly quite scared of the test having accidentally seen a video weeks ago of a test being carried out in the US.
    Now, this wasn't a pleasant experience, but it wasn't dreadful either. Its uncomfortable, but it's not painful. The throat swab made me gag just as it finished, and I had to have both nostrils swabbed due to a deviated septum. But the nasal swab is maybe only 5 seconds, and it's done.

Tl;dr: If anyone is panicking or scared of the test (like I was), don't be. It's quick and painless with a few seconds of discomfort.

Quick question, have a mandatory test tommorow and might not be able to get a childminder, are you allowed to have kids in the car with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

macnug wrote: »
    Quick question, have a mandatory test tommorow and might not be able to get a childminder, are you allowed to have kids in the car with you?

I've no idea, but if you're okay with leaving them in the car, I guess you can....?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

CFlat wrote: »
    Just got my Covid19 test back there now so that's just under 4 days.

and..............................................................??

positive or negative?

• Advertisement

The onset of Influenza is very abrupt, that’s what characterises it, and it’s always very debilitating but much less frequently serious. Covid is a slower burner by comparison. I can re all all the Influenzas I have ever suffered, and literally the hour they struck me. Was caught out going into town feeling ok on two such occasions, and within the space of about one hour bring struck with fever, shaking chills, and almost passing out and vomiting trying to get home on the bus.

That's exactly what happened to me, I was 100% Saturday woke up Sunday morning sore throat then BANG fever high temperature out of nowhere. But I was coughing and on and of sore throat about a week before hand that I got over. I asked GP and said flu season is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

fryup wrote: »
    and..............................................................??

positive or negative?

Oh sorry negative. I didnt have symptoms. I'm described as a healthcare worker so we have to do the test. How often I don't know cause I didn't have it last Sunday but that doesn't mean I won't have it next Sunday. I work with people with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hi, I thought this might be a good place to ask. Has anyone here been referred to a Community Assessment Hub for covid?

I have just been referred, wondering if anyone knows what the turnaround time is, and what kind of testing are they capable of carrying out?

Thanks in advance, if anyone does not want to answer on thread, feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I was tested as I was admitted to hospital for an emergency (non covid related) so the result will determine which section of the hospital you will need to stay.

Was really happy to see this as it's a bit of peace of mind to know everyone is being tested before admission.

Was negative anyway and had results in 5 minutes.

The test procedure itself was very uncomfortable but quick. I think it could be a bit distressing for perhaps someone with dementia or an intellectual disability being tested.

All hospital staff wearing PPE including ancillary staff too, absolute angels the lot of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Hi, I thought this might be a good place to ask. Has anyone here been referred to a Community Assessment Hub for covid?

I have just been referred, wondering if anyone knows what the turnaround time is, and what kind of testing are they capable of carrying out?

Thanks in advance, if anyone does not want to answer on thread, feel free to pm me.

I was there for the best part of an hour. It's pretty much like an extended GP consultation with several doctors and nurses. The only difference is they wear PPE for safety. They ask a lot of questions about your condition, take blood pressure, heart rate etc, and make a decision on whether you need to be admitted to hospital or what further action to take. Not at all scary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was tested as I was admitted to hospital for an emergency (non covid related) so the result will determine which section of the hospital you will need to stay.

Was really happy to see this as it's a bit of peace of mind to know everyone is being tested before admission.

Was negative anyway and had results in 5 minutes.

The test procedure itself was very uncomfortable but quick. I think it could be a bit distressing for perhaps someone with dementia or an intellectual disability being tested.

All hospital staff wearing PPE including ancillary staff too, absolute angels the lot of them :)

How did you get results in five minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Stheno wrote: »
    How did you get results in five minutes?

Recently they are using rapid swab tests in hospital admissions so they know everyone being admitted to a certain ward is negative and then a completely separate area for any positive cases.

You can't be admitted without a test result, I thought it was a good plan and decreases the likelihood of spread between patients.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Recently they are using rapid swab tests in hospital admissions so they know everyone being admitted to a certain ward is negative and then a completely separate area for any positive cases.

You can't be admitted without a test result, I thought it was a good plan and decreases the likelihood of spread between patients.

Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Frostybrew wrote: »
    I was there for the best part of an hour. It's pretty much like an extended GP consultation with several doctors and nurses. The only difference is they wear PPE for safety. They ask a lot of questions about your condition, take blood pressure, heart rate etc, and make a decision on whether you need to be admitted to hospital or what further action to take. Not at all scary.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. It's good to know what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

What hospital was this?

Advertisement