Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

What hospital was this?

It was TUH, I know they weren't doing it as far back as March as a friend of mine was in there then and wasn't tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inabubble

capefear wrote: »
    Got the results back from the test on Friday, this morning - negative.

So now please god it’s just rest and repair any damage done. The last few weeks have turned me in to a nervous wreck.

Hello Capefear - I feel your pain , as the last 3 weeks for me have been a similar scary ride to your own.

I am hoping that your palpitations have become a thing of the past as mine are still with me as I write this.
    I got tested today in Kerry - easy peasy, but as I have had symptoms for 20 days I am actually hoping for a negative result to show I have beaten the virus if I did have it.
    My Gp was pretty sure I was Covid positive, but his tests were taking 2 to 3 weeks at least to be processed and for notification of results. . . a test then seemed pointless.

I am 65 with chronic Lyme disease - infected 3 times in 30 years - which doc says means I am immunocompromised. There were several mornings I was surprised to be waking up. . . . cardiac issues the worst, diarrhea, dizziness, headache,hypoxia,
    rigors, low temperature- around 35.6 to 36C.

Pain in my upper back and shoulders and ribs, sore throat - no cough.. . .feeling of stinging sunburned skin on my upper back.
    I was told results within 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was tested as I was admitted to hospital for an emergency (non covid related) so the result will determine which section of the hospital you will need to stay.

Was really happy to see this as it's a bit of peace of mind to know everyone is being tested before admission.

Was negative anyway and had results in 5 minutes.

The test procedure itself was very uncomfortable but quick. I think it could be a bit distressing for perhaps someone with dementia or an intellectual disability being tested.

All hospital staff wearing PPE including ancillary staff too, absolute angels the lot of them :)

Possibly the Abbott rapid test been used. US FDA are saying the test could be given over 20% false negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

YFlyer wrote: »
    Possibly the Abbott rapid test been used. US FDA are saying the test could be given over 20% false negatives.

Not sure which one was used, there were a few Irish companies developing rapid tests too afaik.

I think the plan is to also use a rapid test for any incoming people on flights etc when travel starts to increase (or they can undergo the 2 week self isolation).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

stevek93 wrote: »
    In my case that isnt happening one time I was told to get public transport to a test centre.
    Are you serious? You should definitely report that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Beaverpunisher

When I was being tested late last month my GP requested a home test which when the HSE rang me for the test date they mentioned to come to crokepark I said I cant travel and their advise was to contact my GP so I did. My GP put in a request for me to be tested at home and again they rang and said come to crokepark I told them my GP has requested a home test again the answer was you better contact your GP. So the GP requested a 3rd home test and same thing happened so I got fed up accepted crokepark hopped on my bike and cycled to the test centre.

Now today I am in getting the same response.

My GP requested for me to be tested at home this morning. The HSE rang shortly there after and asked to come to crokepark I told them I am in bed with a fever and dont drive I cant travel I need a home test they said I'll get a manager to contact you and the call ended. This evening I rang back for asking for an update on the "manager" there was no record of a manager to ring me and was told again to contact my GP as the GP didnt mention a home test which I do very well believe she did and I was being told a lie.

So it looks like I get to crokepark or dont be tested, has anyone actually been home tested? Why is the HSE making it so difficult and also is anyone else having the same issue? There is people out there sick with the virus and cant be test so we dont see it in the daily report? Im totally confused.

Paramedics are testing people at home who are unable to make it to a test centre.
    Symptomatic people who are too unwell to travel/no transport, vulnerable groups etc are all eligible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

My 15 year old was tested in Dublin - John Rogersons Quay - on Wednesday. Waited about 10 minutes in queue then a couple of minutes for the test.

When should I expect a result? I have to go somewhere on Monday and we all have to restrict movement til we get the result. Will the weekend delay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

tina1040 wrote: »
    My 15 year old was tested in Dublin - John Rogersons Quay - on Wednesday. Waited about 10 minutes in queue then a couple of minutes for the test.

When should I expect a result? I have to go somewhere on Monday and we all have to restrict movement til we get the result. Will the weekend delay it?

Also in a similar boat. Tested on Wednesday afternoon in Dublin and still waiting for a result

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

My girlfriend is a nurse, she had symptoms in March self isolated and was put on a list for testing. She was taken off that list as she wasn't showing enough symptoms at the time. After the isolation time she went back to work, was put in rented accommodation for a month as she was living with other nurses. This week herself and her colleagues were moved back to their homes as the testing is now "good enough". Apparently good enough means being tested on Monday 11th working four 12hr shifts since then with no result in sight almost a full week later. She has no confidence in the HSE to keep her patients safe and I have no confidence in the HSE to keep her safe. She keeps telling me I shouldn't complain or moan and I can see where she is coming from but I needed to vent so I chose boards to do it :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Uncle was sent home from work Friday ( meat plant ) with symptoms has to wait till tomorrow to make appointment for testing and probably will get tested on Wednesday and hopefully he will get results before next weekend.
    I take it his whole family unit should be in quarantine ? They seem to think once he goes into quarantine in family home they won’t have to , but surely they all have been possibly exposed.
    No symptoms from any other family members .. 4 in house including a lodger..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Also in a similar boat. Tested on Wednesday afternoon in Dublin and still waiting for a result

Result back by text just now. Negative thank god! :)

Result back by text just now. Negative thank god! :)

Same here. What a relief!

harr wrote: »
    Uncle was sent home from work Friday ( meat plant ) with symptoms has to wait till tomorrow to make appointment for testing and probably will get tested on Wednesday and hopefully he will get results before next weekend.
    I take it his whole family unit should be in quarantine ? They seem to think once he goes into quarantine in family home they won’t have to , but surely they all have been possibly exposed.

The rest of the household have to resctrict movements. The hse website explains what that involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

s1ippy wrote: »
    Are you serious? You should definitely report that.

Report to who? I already did mention it to my local TD and GP.

Paramedics are testing people at home who are unable to make it to a test centre.
    Symptomatic people who are too unwell to travel/no transport, vulnerable groups etc are all eligible for this.

Why are the HSE not sending someone out to test me so? When I rang to ask for an update on my home test I was told "my computer is not working I'll call you back" no call back another time "a manager will call you back" no call back. Only call I did get was a smart commented person telling me I tested negative as if to say you dont need to be tested again about an hour after "my computer is not working" :rolleyes:

It is causing my job to be suspicious now I am out sick for two weeks due to my GP suspecting I may have covid19 but they keep asking why am I not tested.

SARS-CoV-2 negative. No two weeks off for me :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why are the HSE not sending someone out to test me so? When I rang to ask for an update on my home test I was told "my computer is not working I'll call you back" no call back another time "a manager will call you back" no call back. Only call I did get was a smart commented person telling me I tested negative as if to say you dont need to be tested again about an hour after "my computer is not working" :rolleyes:

It is causing my job to be suspicious now I am out sick for two weeks due to my GP suspecting I may have covid19 but they keep asking why am I not tested.

What's the rationale in getting tested again?

Stheno wrote: »
    What's the rationale in getting tested again?

The first time I was tested I had a cough was late last month that test showed negative. Two weeks later I developed a high temperature pretty bad cough and sore throat and was in bed most of the time recovering the reason being for a second test.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

My mam was tested last Tuesday and received her results on Saturday, I thought that was great how quick they came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

harr wrote: »

If he tests positive, the whole household is expected to self-isolate. From next week, they will also automatically be tested.

• Advertisement

Since I got and more or less recovered from a probable Covid-19 infection I got when travelling on 6th March (breathlessness, fever, etc) I found myself developing a slight cough again, with recurrent fever, major migraine through right eye, culminating a couple of days ago in extreme intestinal cramps and vomiting, became very unwell. I have history of inflammatory bowel disease, stoma etc, so in this case it’s difficult to sort symptoms out.

GP prescribed a suitable antibiotic against possible lung abscess leftover from previous infection, and put me down for a test. As I was so unfit for driving, he tried to arrange home testing, but that went pear-shaped, so I ended up driving myself to Aviva for the test at lunch time. Throat swab was no problem, but due to a life-long nasal issue he was unable to get the swab into place. Same difficulty happens when nasogastric tubes are attempted in hospital. Still, he said he got a good sample from the throat, so hopefully he’s right.

The antibiotic made enough of an improvement to enable me to drive, but it was not ideal as I’m still quite shaky and weak. My usual GP was not on duty during my first illness, so I never got listed for testing then, and if this comes negative I still won’t know if I had it in first place, at least not until an antibody test began ones available. All in all I have not been too well since mid-March, for whatever exact cause(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Guess it's kind of a good thing that this thread is very quiet.

I went for an antibody test today. I had a flare up on all my toes in mid march, swelling, burning, itchy and couldn't wear footwear for a day or two due to the pain. Overall, pain lasted 1 week and the redness went away after two. Thought nothing of it at the time, no symptoms of respiratory issues, but a couple of weeks later lots of articles like this came about - the image in the article is identical to what I had.

While speaking with the nurse, they're seeing about 10% of tests coming back positive, more than expected, healthcare workers without symptoms, etc. But an interesting one who was unwell while travelling and upon return to Ireland in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Guess it's kind of a good thing that this thread is very quiet.

I went for an antibody test today. I had a flare up on all my toes in mid march, swelling, burning, itchy and couldn't wear footwear for a day or two due to the pain. Overall, pain lasted 1 week and the redness went away after two. Thought nothing of it at the time, no symptoms of respiratory issues, but a couple of weeks later lots of articles like this came about - the image in the article is identical to what I had.

While speaking with the nurse, they're seeing about 10% of tests coming back positive, more than expected, healthcare workers without symptoms, etc. But an interesting one who was unwell while travelling and upon return to Ireland in early January.

Were you given any indication on how long it's taking for results to come back? Have a relative waiting on results and they didn't get a chance to ask during the test.

Were you given any indication on how long it's taking for results to come back? Have a relative waiting on results and they didn't get a chance to ask during the test.

48hrs I was told, may be a little longer as it runs into a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I went for an antibody test today. I had a flare up on all my toes in mid march, swelling, burning, itchy and couldn't wear footwear for a day or two due to the pain. Overall, pain lasted 1 week and the redness went away after two. Thought nothing of it at the time, no symptoms of respiratory issues, but a couple of weeks later lots of articles
    Was this at the TMB in Dun Laoghaire?

Was this at the TMB in Dun Laoghaire?

TMB in Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

TMB in Dundrum

What tests are TMB using ? Reliable does anyone know ?

What tests are TMB using ? Reliable does anyone know ?

I believe it's Roche Abbott

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I believe it's Roche

I've 2 family members who would be interested in the anti body test for sure and would go get it if its pretty accurate

• Advertisement

I've 2 family members who would be interested in the anti body test for sure and would go get it if its pretty accurate

It's €80 and from calling to appointment was about 5-6 days. They mentioned they were busy enough with it, about 500 done so far. I guess we only know accuracy value from the manufacturer's own data, but maybe a follow up test on the off-chance it's positive to verify. Sore toes seems like a silly symptom to get a test, but it's also a massive coincidence given the mid-march timing.

Advertisement