Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

It's €80 and from calling to appointment was about 5-6 days. They mentioned they were busy enough with it, about 500 done so far. I guess we only know accuracy value from the manufacturer's own data, but maybe a follow up test on the off-chance it's positive to verify. Sore toes seems like a silly symptom to get a test, but it's also a massive coincidence given the mid-march timing.
    Thanks for sharing the info - please let us know (if you are ok with that) what the result was.

I'm also in dundrum myself, covid19 test at the end of March came out negative - but am fairly sure I've had the virus (loss of taste/smell, coughing). Have recovered since (only missed one day out of work), but still have some small coughs now and then that I never had before. Was thinking about this antibody test before, and if it's worth it do take one, but it would be good to know that I've gone through the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

What tests are TMB using ? Reliable does anyone know ?

My mistake - it's actually Abbott CMIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Impressive turnaround time, less than 12 hrs, result negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Tempted to get one myself especially after this

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0619/1148415-coronavirus-italy-waste-study/?fbclid=IwAR3yNMqsNFib8yFyqdCgthxFfkAX9DVm78DhinhDh8DIQWdVtVzm__A-iZ4

Got sick on January 20 five days after work trip abroad and it dragged on until end of March. Really got into my lungs. Persistent cough. I only went to UK though and the airports were quiet so it’s unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Had an antibody test completed today. I asked about positivity rate so far, and it is currently at around 12%. This is obviously higher than one would expect nationally as it's a biased sample of people attending mostly because they thought they had COVID. Nurse was explaining that they ask re symptoms and she keeps a list of people that she considers as likely to have had the virus. Of this list, 50% come out with the antibodies, but they have had cases of people having positive PCR tests indicating COVID, but negative antibody tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I had Covid In March, I’ve no idea who I got it from. I’d love to get the antibody test done and I’d also like to get my husband and 2kids tested. Out of curiosity. I can’t see how I got it from a casual contact and they didn’t get it from me. But at €80 each I’d need to be sure that it’s accurate. S it better to get test done in a centre or is self test kit accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Strath2020

I had the TMB test and tested negative. Had a lot of symptoms in march, test was cancelled as criteria changed and had to attend the Covid assessment clinic but never got test. I am still convinced that I had it and two others in my household so whether I just didn't develop immunity. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lisha wrote: »
    I had Covid In March, I’ve no idea who I got it from. I’d love to get the antibody test done and I’d also like to get my husband and 2kids tested. Out of curiosity. I can’t see how I got it from a casual contact and they didn’t get it from me. But at €80 each I’d need to be sure that it’s accurate. S it better to get test done in a centre or is self test kit accurate?

Get a lab test, self tests are pure rubbish.

try

https://www.tmb.ie/coronavirus-antibody-test

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I posted this over in the main thread. "The problem with antibody tests is that as scientists learn more, it's starting to appear that the antibody tests are looking for the wrong thing. The T-Cell response to the virus may be a more important factor as a significant number of patients either produce no or a tiny amount of antibodies. And many who do produce antibodies, have those antibody levels drop very quickly to low levels not detectable by these tests. So all a negative antibody test means is that a person did not have detectable antibody levels at the time of the test. It doesn't mean they didn't have Covid. It now appears that the best way to check for past infection is to look for changes for the T-Helper cell CD4. Those changes appear permanent so when an efficient way to do mass testing for those changes is developed, that's when we'll actually know how many people were infected by Covid. Mass antibody testing is somewhat useful but it's a very blunt instrument that isn't going to give us a true picture."

So anyone paying for them should be aware that if they get a positive, that is probably accurate. But if they get a negative it really isn't a definitive answer as to whether or not they had Covid or whether or not they likely have immunity. What the odds are of getting a negative result and still having had Covid are unknown at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Im looking for a little advice from someone in the know. I think i may have had covid way back in early Feb. I tried to book a test through my GP back in Apr but it was messed up and never happened. Im thinking of doing an antibody test next week in town (Dawson St for 90e). If i did have it in Feb would the antibodies definately still show i had it now, over 4 months later or is it a waste of 90e?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If i did have it in Feb would the antibodies definately still show i had it now, over 4 months later

No. They might but a lot of people either don't produce antibodies at all or they fade back to undetectable levels very quickly. So a positive test is probably very accurate but a negative test only means you don't have a detectable level of antibodies. Not that you were never infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have to say I am impressed with HSE here. I rang my doctor yesterday morning at 11:30am, and she referred me for a covid-19 test (precautionary really, I have a cough, but none of the other main symptoms). By midday, I had a text message and email with my appointment for the test at the drive in centre at the Aviva for 3:45pm the same day.
    All the Defence Forces staff there were very nice, efficient and personable. The test itself was grand, all over and done with in a minute really, swabbed both sides of my throat, and up the nose. Up the nose I thought the swab was never going to stop, but he did a 5 second countdown for me. He advised I should have the results in 48 hours to 5 days (a late Friday afternoon test probably slowing it down).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just did my 13th Nasal test, really getting used to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

iguana wrote: »
    I posted this over in the main thread. "The problem with antibody tests is that as scientists learn more, it's starting to appear that the antibody tests are looking for the wrong thing. The T-Cell response to the virus may be a more important factor as a significant number of patients either produce no or a tiny amount of antibodies. And many who do produce antibodies, have those antibody levels drop very quickly to low levels not detectable by these tests. So all a negative antibody test means is that a person did not have detectable antibody levels at the time of the test. It doesn't mean they didn't have Covid. It now appears that the best way to check for past infection is to look for changes for the T-Helper cell CD4. Those changes appear permanent so when an efficient way to do mass testing for those changes is developed, that's when we'll actually know how many people were infected by Covid. Mass antibody testing is somewhat useful but it's a very blunt instrument that isn't going to give us a true picture."

So anyone paying for them should be aware that if they get a positive, that is probably accurate. But if they get a negative it really isn't a definitive answer as to whether or not they had Covid or whether or not they likely have immunity. What the odds are of getting a negative result and still having had Covid are unknown at present.

Hi, the nurse in the TMB actually explained all of this prior to the test which was very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Im looking for a little advice from someone in the know. I think i may have had covid way back in early Feb. I tried to book a test through my GP back in Apr but it was messed up and never happened. Im thinking of doing an antibody test next week in town (Dawson St for 90e). If i did have it in Feb would the antibodies definately still show i had it now, over 4 months later or is it a waste of 90e?

I'm. Interested in knowing this too, was very sick end Dec after foreign travel. I'd love to know if it was actually Covid as most symptoms same.
    Have been told me friend not to spend the money as test only valid a month or so after. No mention of time limit on TMB website

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Major study into antibody response was released today.
    It shows that many of the commercial antibody tests are missing people who were exposed. The Roche, Abbott, and Euroimmun tests, in particular, seem like serial offenders here. They don't pick up what happens to the T-Cells in the body.

It also shows we are closer to herd immunity than previous antibody tests showed.
    Well worth a read.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.21.20132449v1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Major study into antibody response was released today.
    It shows that many of the commercial antibody tests are missing people who were exposed. The Roche, Abbott, and Euroimmun tests, in particular, seem like serial offenders here. They don't pick up what happens to the T-Cells in the body.

It also shows we are closer to herd immunity than previous antibody tests showed.
    Well worth a read.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.21.20132449v1

Is that not saying what's been found before which is that t cell response has been identified even where people do not have antibodies, so effectively the antibody test alone is not a good indicator?

Think it's something to do with t cells fighting off the infection?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that not saying what's been found before which is that t cell response has been identified even where people do not have antibodies, so effectively the antibody test alone is not a good indicator?

Think it's something to do with t cells fighting off the infection?
    The T-Cells fight off the infection yes. The antibody tests named above are not picking up that reaction.
    This is a really detailed discussion with further explanations!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/hdxwf5/intrafamilial_exposure_to_sarscov2_induces/

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I was with my GP today for an issue (which she suggested could have been triggered by COVID, if I've had it, but that's still speculation and a whole other story) and we discussed testing and antibody tests. I was suspected of having COVID back in March but my symptoms had started long before any reported cases in Ireland and I figured I didn't have it. Then the boss tested positive and that all changed, I was tested but it was probably 8 weeks at least since I'd gotten ill...

Anyway without waffling, GP suggests I could well have had it as there is acknowledgement in the medical community that it was likely going around Ireland in January and February.

However she advised me to save my money as the antibody tests being promoted at the moment have a very low reliability and they're not sure that they're testing and looking for the right things. She said to hold off a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I was with my GP today for an issue (which she suggested could have been triggered by COVID, if I've had it, but that's still speculation and a whole other story) and we discussed testing and antibody tests. I was suspected of having COVID back in March but my symptoms had started long before any reported cases in Ireland and I figured I didn't have it. Then the boss tested positive and that all changed, I was tested but it was probably 8 weeks at least since I'd gotten ill...

Anyway without waffling, GP suggests I could well have had it as there is acknowledgement in the medical community that it was likely going around Ireland in January and February.

However she advised me to save my money as the antibody tests being promoted at the moment have a very low reliability and they're not sure that they're testing and looking for the right things. She said to hold off a few months.

I'm not going to pry into what your issues are/were, but personally I had a similar experience. I had pneumonia symptoms which appeared c.12th - 15th February (and I didn't actually know what it was at the time as I've never had it), but I didn't seek help. It cleared after about 3/4 days, but was fairly worrying for a time. Anyway, since then I've a had breathing issues, which have been improving. I'm almost back to normal now, but still not quite 100%. My GP also speculated that it could have been COVID when I spoke to her about it last month, but, again, we just don't know.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go ahead with the test this morning in Dawson St. Got the blood test at a cost of 90e. The doctor said only approx 8% of 300 people who suspected they have had covid have returned a positive result so its pretty low. I will have my result in few days. Its a pity i didnt here about these antibody tests back in April or early May as i fear if i did have it back in late Jan/early Feb it may not show up now. Anyway, lets wait and see how the result goes.

Got test result back. It was a Negative. Says its very, very likely i didn't have covid but the test is 90% accurate and a small chance i may still have had it.

Anyway glad i did it, i'll go with the result and must remain vigilant in keeping this virus at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Have a test today at the Aviva. Which road do I access it at?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just to add. Got tested Monday 4:30ish at the Aviva. Got results text Wednesday at 5 pm. It was negative. Not a bad turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Got test result back. It was a Negative. Says its very, very likely i didn't have covid but the test is 90% accurate and a small chance i may still have had it.

Anyway glad i did it, i'll go with the result and must remain vigilant in keeping this virus at bay.

90%? thats a bit dodey isnt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I had a private lab based antibody test done, as I had symptoms of extremely bad flu-like illness early in the year that ticked several COVID-19 boxes, but it was early in the outbreak so I couldn't get a swab test done.

The antibody test came back negative, so I can presume it was most likely a good old fashioned, rather nasty bout of influenza.

I had a private lab based antibody test done, as I had symptoms of extremely bad flu-like illness early in the year that ticked several COVID-19 boxes, but it was early in the outbreak so I couldn't get a swab test done.

The antibody test came back negative, so I can presume it was most likely a good old fashioned, rather nasty bout of influenza.
    Not everyone who had COVID has antibodies, a lot has still to be learned about immune response so I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Is it true that GPs get €150 for referring someone for a covid test?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

how long are people waiting for result from getting swab test these days

• Advertisement

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    how long are people waiting for result from getting swab test these days
    Average is 1.2 days

Advertisement