Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Queried wrote: »
    I had a sore throat and a bit of a cough a few weeks ago. I suffer from post nasal drip and allergies so I thought I was grand but I was going to be around my high risk grandparents so I contacted my doctor just in case. She referred me for a test and it came back negative. She said she thought it was unlikely but that people in my age group often have mild symptoms so it was as a precaution. This was when cases were very low and not many were being tested so that might have been part of the reason why I was tested, i doubt it was very busy from what i saw.
    Don't let anyone brush you off, and trust your gut. I remember reading a post here of someone in hospital and they didn't feel right. No "normal" signs of covid, just didn't feel right and they were positive.

Go to a different doctor and try and get tested. It's the right thing to do and you know it, especially before going back to work.

Thanks for the responses. I rang another doctor yesterday and he didn't refer me for testing either. He said it's unlikely to be covid, but still recommend I stay at home, and don't go back to work until I'm free of symptoms for 48 hours. Rang the principal yesterday and luckily he was very understanding, said to take today off and see how I'm feeling after.

So I'm still not feeling 100% today, but good enough to work. Feel like I'm in a weird catch-22, like in normal times I'd work through this no bother, and whilst it is unlikely to be covid there's an outside chance it could be. If I'm feeling better tomorrow, do I not go in until Friday then so? I've never rang in sick once in my life previously so don't like doing it, but just trying to do the right thing I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Has anyone got a private antibody test done from Affidea (for example)?
    Also, is there any new evidence as to when it was likely that COVID was in Ireland?

I had a bad chest infection just after Christmas that had fairly long term effects .ie I got relapse and severe fatigue in February and March. At the time I thought it was very strange. Am very curious if it was COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Cona wrote: »
    Also, is there any new evidence as to when it was likely that COVID was in Ireland?

I had a bad chest infection just after Christmas that had fairly long term effects .ie I got relapse and severe fatigue in February and March. At the time I thought it was very strange. Am very curious if it was COVID

I wouldn't bother with an Antibody test at this stage as it seems they only stay around in detectable numbers in you bloodstream for 2-3 months (and that's after a bad dose).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Cona wrote: »

Just looked it up - €90, I’d nearly be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Just looked it up - €90, I’d nearly be tempted.

I have ordered the mybio antibody kits . Made by a company in Kilkenny. I’ll test us at home. Looking at the YouTube instruction video it’s handy enough to do.
    Kit has 10tests and Cost €240.

I’m hoping it will be delivered today. I want to test myself, husband and 2kids. I had Covid in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭bren2001

Lisha wrote: »
    I have ordered the mybio antibody kits . Made by a company in Kilkenny. I’ll test us at home. Looking at the YouTube instruction video it’s handy enough to do.
    Kit has 10tests and Cost €240.

I’m hoping it will be delivered today. I want to test myself, husband and 2kids. I had Covid in March.

I'll be intrigued to see your results. I had it in March myself.

bren2001 wrote: »

I know, I’m so interested to know. It might be weekend until we all home together to do it .

I’ll have tests left over, if any of us have antibodies I’d look at testing us again in 3months.

My son is nervous about doing it as he said he will be More nervous if he doesn’t have antibodies.

I’m just intrigued. I’ll post results as soon as I have them.

bren2001 wrote: »

I hope you don’t mind me asking, how complete is your recovery? Are you fully back to as you were before? Thanks ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I know, I’m so interested to know. It might be weekend until we all home together to do it .

I’ll have tests left over, if any of us have antibodies I’d look at testing us again in 3months.

My son is nervous about doing it as he said he will be More nervous if he doesn’t have antibodies.

I’m just intrigued. I’ll post results as soon as I have them.

Are they the instant results ones or do you send them back for analysis?

Are they the instant results ones or do you send them back for analysis?

It’s similar to a pregnancy test. It’s a plastic rectangle. You prick finger for blood. Put drop if blood into a well on the plastic, then you put a drop of liquid buffer (provided). Then you wait 10mins. There is a section in the top of plastic. (Think Like a bit of pregnancy test that’s wee’d on). You need a line to appear as a control to show test has worked. Then there are 2 other lines that may appear. These are the antibody lines. You read it yourself. Look up the YouTube video it’s v helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Waiting to be tested I had to ring Doctor as my daughter was showing symptoms then the next day Ive a high temp and sore throat.

We have no transport so don’t know how we will be tested? Anyone have this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Waiting to be tested I had to ring Doctor as my daughter was showing symptoms then the next day Ive a high temp and sore throat.

We have no transport so don’t know how we will be tested? Anyone have this issue
    national ambulance service do home testing

national ambulance service do home testing

Received a call from HSE and the lady on the phone said that service is only for elderly and people who can’t leave home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

23 tests, it's obviously for work and at some risk of catching this. Can I ask, do you wear masks?
    Sorry just saw this. Yep we wear masks as a government requirement plus out of respect to our customers, we arent at any more risk than Joe Public, just very cautious company procedures.

Oh yea, 25 tests at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭bren2001

I hope you don’t mind me asking, how complete is your recovery? Are you fully back to as you were before? Thanks ,

Yeah, I'm 100% recovered from it. I pretty much fully recovered within 14 days of getting it. I was quite lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

HSE arranged a taxi to take me to the Aviva for testing. Floor to ceiling perspex barrier in the taxi so the driver was sealed off.
    I think you may need to let your GP know before they request the tests as it's part of the request they send through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Received a call from HSE and the lady on the phone said that service is only for elderly and people who can’t leave home!!
    I know here in Cork that they do it for anyone. Technically you can't leave home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sorry just saw this. Yep we wear masks as a government requirement plus out of respect to our customers, we are at any more risk than Joe Public, just very cautious company procedures.

Oh yea, 25 tests at this stage :)

Great to hear this. Masks must have some benefit if all your 25 tests came back negative.

My daughter just got tested but couldn’t test me as they needed a ref no.

I used the mybio Covid antibody test this afternoon as we were all at home.
    I had Covid in March. I wasn’t in hospital but I was terribly sick.
    Neither my husband or children ever showed any symptoms. While I did stay in my room all the time they did pop in and out and I Couldn’t I stayed 100% away from them. But none of us left house got shopping in etc.

I was convinced they had to have had it too.

But only I showed a positive result for an antibody. I showed positive for IgG antibody. Which apparently indicates ‘a secondary SARS COV 2 infection.’

The other 3 were totally negative.

Baffling. As I don’t know where I got it and initially I still cooked etc for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Neither my husband or children ever showed any symptoms. While I did stay in my room all the time they did pop in and out and I Couldn’t I stayed 100% away from them. But none of us left house got shopping in etc.

But only I showed a positive result for an antibody. I showed positive for IgG antibody. Which apparently indicates ‘a secondary SARS COV 2 infection.’

Baffling. As I don’t know where I got it and initially I still cooked etc for them.

Did you wear a mask when you were around your family?

Did you wear a mask when you were around your family?

No not at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

If you had the virus back in March do you think antibodies would show up if I was to do this test now. Thanks

noble00 wrote: »
    If you had the virus back in March do you think antibodies would show up if I was to do this test now. Thanks

I can’t say. All I can say is I tested positive fir Covid in March and today my test showed presence of IgG antibodies. Think it varies tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Yeah I would imagine it’s different for everyone, I might just get it and see what shows up. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How long from when you ordered it to delivery? Thanks

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How long from when you ordered it to delivery? Thanks

Ordered 30th August. Delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It could be that mild/asymptomatic infections do not show a detectable level of anti-bodies, or T-Cells did the job. There's also the theory that only 20% of those infected actually spread it to lots of others, rather than everyone spreading it to a few.

Fair play to cooking for them through it!

But baffling is right.

It could be that mild/asymptomatic infections do not show a detectable level of anti-bodies, or T-Cells did the job. There's also the theory that only 20% of those infected actually spread it to lots of others, rather than everyone spreading it to a few.

Fair play to cooking for them through it!

But baffling is right.

I cooked as normal the 2 days before symptom and symptoms were so mild I didn’t believe I was sick I was as normal for 2 days but I wore gloves and While I did start cooking for hem I didn’t Plate food or touch their food once it cooked. Then for a solid 10 days I was so sick I didn’t do a thing.

But before symptoms and first few days is apparently you are more contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Great to hear this. Masks must have some benefit if all your 25 tests came back negative.

Might have a lot more to do with my present lifestyle, social distancing and personal hygiene.

Advertisement