Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    Hi guys, what's the procedure for the family of someone in isolation awaiting test? It is a family member living in a granny flat attached to our home so we have had minimal contact.

None of us are symptomatic, will we only be tested if family member is positive? Should we all be self isolating?

My daughter asked that and was told the rest of us could go about our business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Fieldog wrote: »
    Got a laser shined on my forehead in work this morning, temperature is normal at the moment...

Never seen this laser temperature reader thingy before, pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

I developed symptoms yesterday, cough sore throat, temp is fluctuating between 37 and 38.4. I'm a frontline worker in a gp surgery with asthma so have been been put on priority list but still will be 2 to 3 days I'm told. In the meantime I'm isolating in our granny flat away from rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭bren2001

youandme13 wrote: »
    You can't just turn up as you don't know which centre. You get either a call or text..

Im on list since Monday and rang HSE live just there and she did say there's a big back log in testing but to keep phone on you as some people are getting calls/texts for same day sometimes. But she was unable to give definite answer to when I'd be called

I got a call at 9:15 and am scheduled for 2:15 today. So yeah, keep an eye on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

bren2001 wrote: »
    I got a call at 9:15 and am scheduled for 2:15 today. So yeah, keep an eye on your phone.

When did you call doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Have been referred for a test by my GP - Dublin area, and told it will be 2-3 days.

Started last Thursday with awful chills, sore throat and headache and a taste in mouth like I was coming down with a head cold. Called GP, told it's probably nothing and to stay home for a few days.

Saturday night I had an vomiting bug, mild cough started on Sunday, dry but getting worse, today I've chest tightening and shortness of breath. No temperature at any stage. Called back my GP who is referring me and my 3 yr old who has underlying conditions.

Dont feel too bad and am working away, I'm probably just run down but would rather know for sure as I've been self isolating and would like to know when that can stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Waiting to get tested since Tuesday here too.

Does anyone know if they can detect it even if you feel better at the point of testing? Looks like it'll be next week at this rate. Would like to know if I've had it at least. Still feel poor but certainly on the mend at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

magic17 wrote: »

Does anyone know if they can detect it even if you feel better at the point of testing? Looks like it'll be next week at this rate. Would like to know if I've had it at least. Still feel poor but certainly on the mend at this point.

I'm wondering the exact same. I have symptoms a week but starting to feel better. My referral was sent Monday

I recall a few days ago the UK's govs chief medial adviser say they were developing a way to detect if you have had it after it's cleared. So my hunch is this would be a blood test and not a swap. Either way I don't think it's available currently but possibly will be in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

AllForIt wrote: »
    I recall a few days ago the UK's govs chief medial adviser say they were developing a way to detect if you have had it after it's cleared. So my hunch is this would be a blood test and not a swap. Either way I don't think it's available currently but possibly will be in time.

Good to know. It would be nice to know whether I had it once I'm better. At the same time if I'm better next Mon/Tues when I get called it would probably make more sense for someone else to get my slot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

meath4sam wrote: »
    When were you put on the list?

I contacted my GP last Monday morning at around 10am. I spoke to him again later the same day and was told that I had been placed on the waiting list that morning. Still waiting to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Waiting since Monday lunchtime myself.

Good to know. It would be nice to know whether I had it once I'm better. At the same time if I'm better next Mon/Tues when I get called it would probably make more sense for someone else to get my slot.

Well yes you would want to know if you have had it and just as importantly it's crucial data for the people managing the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

AllForIt wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the procedure is after your GP puts you on the list to be tested. It's been 2 days for me and I haven't heard anything. Maybe I'm meant to turn up at the testing center without being called? Or do you get a letter or phone call or what? Can't get though to my GP to ask as phone is constantly engaged.

You can't just turn up, you get a referral code after a doc refers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I'm in Cork. I rang on Fri and got referred for a test. Got a call Monday to test that evening at Mahon and was told I will get results in 48 hr. I'm still waiting for a call back. I rang my doc today to see if they have an update but nothing is on file. Looks like I'm stuck in til after the weekend until I get results. Can't imagine they'd give you results on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Have symptoms: feeling like fire from back of nose all the way down to lungs; dry cough; headaches; body aches; and slight fever.

GP won't refer me for test as he's prioritising older people and people who can't get out of bed (I've been wfh to keep my mind off the symptoms, which although uncomfortable I can walk around with).

I can understand his sentiment, given the limited number of tests. The family (OH had similar symptoms but now appears over the hump) will self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Update:
    Called the HSE hotline to "complain". They vigorously disagreed with GPs assessment and asked me to contact him again to insist on a referral. Got back to me today and he grudgingly agreed to refer for a test. My symptoms have not changed since posting.

Reading how proactive other GPs are here, there is definitely an inconsistent application of the testing criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Been on the list since last Friday. Got a text from GP Tuesday morning confirming I’m on the list and that they would call/text me when test has been arranged.

Still waiting for my test. Been a week now

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Update:
    Called d HSE hotline to "complain". They vigorously disagreed with GPs assessment and asked me to contact him again to insist on a referral. Got back to me today and he grudgingly agreed to refer for a test. My symptoms have not changed since posting.

Reading how proactive other GPs are here, there is definitely an inconsistent application of the testing criteria.
    I have no symptoms and waiting for a test just because of contact with a confirmed case

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Glad to read that. Were you advised that you should contact your GP to let him/her know? Are you going to go back to normal activities straight away? The virus outbreak is going to massively worsen so be very cautious.
    My GP told me. I rang him yesterday eve but he had no results yet. I got tested Saturday but got results today (Fri). No, I am not going back to normal activities as I'm self isolating anyway due to an underlying illness but I might go out for a walk in the fields or something away from other people. Til today, I wasn't leaving the house as I awaited the results. We all need, as the consultant from UHL said on prime time, to treat each other as pariahs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

If suspected cases have to wait days for a test and,as a result, test negative because theyre better what is the point in testing if not testing for antibodies at the same time?
    Surely these tests should be allocated to people on the list with symptoms.
    A work colleague of mine was sick for 2 weeks
    GP booked a test on Monday and still waiting. Says he's feeling better now and wonders should he give his slot to someone else on the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Now that the testing has opened up a bit do people think someone who had instense symptoms for one day only could also called their gp? I don't want to waste any time or resources but I had a very intense bout that included many symptoms except dry cough.

Just wondering do people think it would be appropriate to call the gp? I have been self isolating from others anyway and will continue for 14 days. I'd like to know if I had it but if it's not cricitical or anything. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Symptoms come and go all the time, different symptoms different times but all the time tired for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

bmc58 wrote: »
    After three weeks!!! You should be better now if it's Covid 19.

Same here I was sick 3 weeks ago all symptoms only now am I being tested HSE was refusing to test me until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Spoke to my GP today and she has put me in the system for a test. She said anyone with a symptom of cough, sore throat or chest infection, that the advice was to submit them for a test.
    She didn't know how long it would take to get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Rang doctor and I have to go for a test, was told that the backlog in Dublin was atleast five days.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I have a really sore throat, a bit of a cough and am knackered the past few days, I had a tight chest and shortness of breath earlier in the week but I put that down to anxiety and it seems to have gotten better now. I'm also sneezing a lot too though so I figure it is just a cold and won't be calling about a test unless something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

capefear wrote: »
    Rang doctor and I have to go for a test, was told that the backlog in Dublin was atleast five days.

was told same today by GP when following up, I was referred for one on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

One daughter is waiting for 6 days for test, was referred Monday morning last, she is sick for three weeks now, not much fever, cough, extreme fatigue and a few sudden headaches. She is 19 and we are based in the mid west.
    Daughter no 2 has been contact traced, through her work. She got fatigued and chills last night but is ok today.
    I rang HSE helpline only this morning. They said their list is extremely long.
    I figure they are looking after older people first, my daughters youth is on their side but what about us their parents? Cant help being a little worried although I am upbeat enough for all their sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Topdolla wrote: »
    Symptoms come and go all the time, different symptoms different times but all the time tired for me

That's exactly how I have been for 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I have a really sore throat, a bit of a cough and am knackered the past few days, I had a tight chest and shortness of breath earlier in the week but I put that down to anxiety and it seems to have gotten better now. I'm also sneezing a lot too though so I figure it is just a cold and won't be calling about a test unless something changes.

You should still call your GP.

Advertisement