Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Got tested this morning. Hoping to get the results ASAP so I can leave my house.

Not sure how this is going to work. I merely woke with a sore throat/slight cough yesterday morning, and phoned the GP as I live with my parents. She referred me for a test and told me to self-isolate.

Thing is, I'm prone to sore throats/coughs all year round as I am asthmatic. Where do we draw the line with self-isolating, going for tests? If I were to phone the GP every time I have a sore throat/slight cough I'd be self-isolating/getting tested every month.

What are people's thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Young fella was sent home from school on Tuesday morning with a cough and a slight temperature. Rang the GP who arranged a test for 11.30 yesterday morning. Negative result back at 10 this morning so I'm now back in the office.

No complaints here with that turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Got tested this morning. Hoping to get the results ASAP so I can leave my house.

Not sure how this is going to work. I merely woke with a sore throat/slight cough yesterday morning, and phoned the GP as I live with my parents. She referred me for a test and told me to self-isolate.

Thing is, I'm prone to sore throats/coughs all year round as I am asthmatic. Where do we draw the line with self-isolating, going for tests? If I were to phone the GP every time I have a sore throat/slight cough I'd be self-isolating/getting tested every month.

I’m the same . 3-4 infections a year and I am trying to be a big sensible about it also . It is difficult to have a relationship with work when it is like this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Results in, negative thankfully but I wasnt overly concerned. 35 hours from the test to results.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Does public testing/results turnaround continue during the weekend? Is there anywhere to get privately tested? Is this any faster? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Does public testing/results turnaround continue during the weekend? Is there anywhere to get privately tested? Is this any faster? Thanks!
    I know people who get tested Saturday evening and results were returned Sunday evening, so yes it seems like they do. This was last weekend.
    Person in question is a teacher which is supposed to expedite it, they ask are you a front line worker or teacher for expedition when you get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Son No 2 tested yesterday afternoon, 4:45pm at the Aviva (GP booked it at 11:30am). Negative result at 5pm this evening, so about 24 hours from test to response.

As he falls into an at-risk group, his GP may have ticked a box to prioritise his test; however, if so it wasn't said to us.

(The Aviva was empty when we arrived; we were last test of the day. However, doctor said it had been crazy-busy an hour earlier and they suspected the booking system had messed up the arrival times people were being assigned.)

Tested at 9am yesterday. Still waiting on a result. Being confined to a room is mentally very tough.

Sometimes people with asthma who also get frequent sore throats, sinus, cough (like myself) actually have a chronic ongoing "atypical" bacterial infection that is virtually impossible to eradicate and which flares up now and again. My doctor last week was reluctant to refer me for a test because of this, wanting me to try an antibiotic first, as he said people like me could end up being tested all the time and decisions have to be made as when not to test. At first I was annoyed as it meant staying mostly indoors until I got better, then I got extremely sick with chest pain and pains in many joints, so I was sent for testing, which proved negative. The antibiotic had suppressed it down once again for next several months hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Called Dr at 9.30am Weds, nurse called back at 11am referred me for a test. Text and email within 30 mins confirming test time for 8.50am Thurs in Cloghran. Very slick operation altogether. Test result (negative) back today (Friday) at 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Tested at 9am yesterday. Still waiting on a result. Being confined to a room is mentally very tough.

Hope you have better luck than I did, then. Nearly 6 days for my result(negative ) I had a bad dose as well. I actually got the results from my GP,'s surgery who I rang on day 5. Didn't get the text til the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Waiting three full days now for result from Cloghran Wednesday morning, I having phoned GP monday morning. I have to say it has caused enormous tension in the house as my partner was convinced I was being overcautious/ hypochondriac and is fuming with me about the disruption. And it keeps dragging on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Waiting three full days now for result from Cloghran Wednesday morning, I having phoned GP monday morning. I have to say it has caused enormous tension in the house as my partner was convinced I was being overcautious/ hypochondriac and is fuming with me about the disruption. And it keeps dragging on and on.

It’s very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Sorry to hear you're still waiting Tombo, very frustrating. Hope you can take some solace in knowing you're doing the right thing. You wouldn't be referred for testing unless a professional deemed it appropriate. Hope you get results soon.

Tombo I got tested in Cloghran on Thursday morning. Still hadn’t heard anything this morning, so I filled in the online form on the HSE’s website (it says to fill it in if you haven’t received a result in 3 days). I then received my result 2 hours later. Negative, thankfully. Definitely try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Toddler tested in cloghran 12.00 on fri, neg result 8.30 pm saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Tested Friday at 2 results (negative) just now
    I was dreading the test itself but found it absolutely fine- a weird sensation but over in seconds not painful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Other point that's a bit galling is that two hours after it was announced that Stephen Donnelly was being tested, it was then announced he had the results. He might have learned something about the system if he had gone through the process like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

How long is it from people requesting a test to getting notification of the appointment?

Someone in this house requested a test Friday evening but heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Other point that's a bit galling is that two hours after it was announced that Stephen Donnelly was being tested, it was then announced he had the results. He might have learned something about the system if he had gone through the process like everyone else.

I said the exact same myself. I missed 4 days from work while I waited. Its disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Doctor put me for a test on wed. Had the test scheduled for Thursday at 7pm (the one by the airport), did the test (very efficient team running it), and had results Saturday at noon. Very impressed by the whole thing. Even more impressed that it was negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Partner got a 'close contact' notification on her app around noon on Friday. Promptly followed the directions and requested a call back. Now almost 48 hours later and nothing. Is anyone else experiencing long delays on the call back?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jj288988

Rang doc Fri eve got test booked for Sat morn (found out about 3hrs after phone call with doc). Got results Sunday night near 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I got tested 10 days ago and I got the results back in 90 minutes. You may be thinking bull**** but it's true. I spent 7 days in the Mater Private and the moment you are a patient in a hospital, you get the results very quickly. I tested negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Son tested in Dublin on Thursday, negative result back about 20 hours later on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Has anyone had any trouble getting referred for a test?

I phoned the GP this morning because what was a mildly sore throat yesterday has escalated into a nasty cough. The GP is backlogged so I had to fill out an assessment form on their website for a call back, but when I submitted it said that their current call back time is 24 hours.

Did this happen to anyone else? Is there anywhere I can phone to get referred for a test faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Galway city -

Developed a very slight cough on Friday afternoon.
    Rang out-of-hours GP service on Saturday at 8am. Got a call back shortly after from a nurse. Then shortly after that I got a call back from a doctor who decided to arrange a test for me just to be on the safe side.
    Got tested in Galway on Saturday at 5pm.
    Received results (HSE text message) just now (Monday at 9am) - negative.

So 49 hours from calling the GP to receiving results. And 40 hours from test to results.

My cough had gone away by Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Galway city -

Developed a very slight cough on Friday afternoon.
    That interesting, several colleagues of mine (Dublin/Louth) with slight cough or sore throat are not always being referred for testing by GPs - the reason being given is that they will only refer if you have multiple symptoms - but you got tested with a slight cough only in Galway. Do you mind me asking if you are in healthcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That interesting, several colleagues of mine (Dublin/Louth) with slight cough or sore throat are not always being referred for testing by GPs - the reason being given is that they will only refer if you have multiple symptoms - but you got tested with a slight cough only in Galway. Do you mind me asking if you are in healthcare?

Nope I'm not in healthcare. I'm not a teacher either. I can't remember if it was the nurse or doctor, but they asked me if I could work from home - which I have been since March. So it sounds like if I was in talking to the GPs that your colleagues were in Dublin/Louth, I probably wouldn't have been referred for a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah and this wasnt one GP either, 3 or 4 took this approach to multiple symptoms required! This is all over the phone of course.

Advertisement