Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

purplecorn wrote: »
    In my view, it would have been extremely irresponsible to get on public transport while showing obvious symptoms (coughing), being in close contact with strangers for what would have been four separate bus journeys (2 buses to get there, 2 buses back, 45 minutes each way), breathing in the same air and potentially infecting others too :confused::confused:

From the HSE website: "Those being tested will be required to follow public health measures, including social distancing, not travelling by taxi or public transport, practising good personal hygiene and wearing a face-covering throughout (including travelling to and from the testing centre)."

You would be correct. It is the "right" thing to do.
    But let's be totally honest here... If people were following the rules and guidelines we wouldn't have as many cases as we do these days.

I know how could we ever truly know on the following, but I would place a large bet that Dublin bus has been used to get a lot of people from and to test centres.
    Not everyone has a car or can get a lift. You're own piece of mind would be worth it... Or so people will tell themselves. Others won't just care.

You know yourself. How many parties are the gardai shutting down each week? Plenty of people out there who'll do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Phenom80

Hi,
    Out of work since Tuesday isolating and had a covid test Tuesday evening.I work full time and work contacted me that I have to apply for social welfare assistance for days that I'm isolating... Anyone know forms needed or the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Phenom80 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Out of work since Tuesday isolating and had a covid test Tuesday evening.I work full time and work contacted me that I have to apply for social welfare assistance for days that I'm isolating... Anyone know forms needed or the process?

This should be helpful:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Phenom80

Had a head cold last week, rang my GP Wednesday, got referred for a test at 10.35am Thursday, results back at 3.30pm Friday - negative thankfully.

Wages deducted in work for the 2 days which i find to be bad form - following guidelines doesn't pay i guess!

First and last time i shall be doing it so!

Did you get offered gov pay assistance, you have to send off for it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

My 14 year old came home with a dry cough today, he got soaked at the weekend at a match so hopefully just that. No tempature or anything else , just a cough. Guess I have to call doctor either way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

deise18 wrote: »
    My 14 year old came home with a dry cough today, he got soaked at the weekend at a match so hopefully just that. No tempature or anything else , just a cough. Guess I have to call doctor either way?

Yes, even just with a cough. He'll probably have to be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Sharing testing story here for anyone interested..

Sudden onset of temperature (38.5) and chills on Tuesday afternoon accompanied by extreme tiredness. No cough but it was strange so I rang GP at 430 and had testing appt in swords confirmed 5 mins later for 830 yesterday morning.

Test centre well organised.. in and out in 15 mins. Negative result texted to me 4pm today. All in all impressed with the efficiency and speed of the process... Just hope it can hold up over the next few months.

Hang in there if waiting for a result. Isolating isn't easy by any means, especially with small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

To be honest, cases like this are surely clogging up the testing system.

Surely the most likely thing is that he has a bit of a mild cold as a reaction to getting soaked.
    Why not leave that a day and see if it clears up?
    If it's Covid he'll be unlikely to have a cough one day and be fine tomorrow, so i would see how he is tomorrow and call then if needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

To be honest, cases like this are surely clogging up the testing system.

Surely the most likely thing is that he has a bit of a mild cold as a reaction to getting soaked.
    Why not leave that a day and see if it clears up?
    If it's Covid he'll be unlikely to have a cough one day and be fine tomorrow, so i would see how he is tomorrow and call then if needed?

How does rain water "reaction" cause one to catch a virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Yes, Say the sooner you call better all going well will be out of isolation by Sunday ready for school Monday.

• Advertisement

ax530 wrote: »
    Yes, Say the sooner you call better all going well will be out of isolation by Sunday ready for school Monday.

Same. Don't delay in calling GP. just delays everything else. Impossible to decipher symptoms... Going to be a long winter :(

How does rain water "reaction" cause one to catch a virus...

Getting wet and cold is a common factor in causing you to come down with a cold that you would normally fight off, is it not?

Do you think someone is likely to get Covid after getting soaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Getting wet and cold is a common factor in causing you to come down with a cold that you would normally fight off, is it not?

Nope.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/qa/how-can-you-catch-the-common-cold

Ehh.... no & no.

Ehh.... no & no.

Surely when your defences are down you are more susceptible to picking up common bugs?

Anyway I stand by something like the OP describes being much more likely to be a common cold or bug and probably better to reassess 24-48 hours later. A lot of people have tests organised and don't appear as they already feel 100% by the time the test gets organised.

Surely when your defences are down you are more susceptible to picking up common bugs?

Anyway I stand by something like the OP describes being much more likely to be a common cold or bug and probably better to reassess 24-48 hours later. A lot of people have tests organised and don't appear as they already feel 100% by the time the test gets organised.

Cold & wet does not equal compromised immune system.

No randomer should be diagnosing anyone else on the internet, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

What regions roughly are people getting their test results with the quick turn around? Day 4 tomorrow, missed an entire week of work.

Cold & wet does not equal compromised immune system.

No randomer should be diagnosing anyone else on the internet, period.

Then why are all the other randomers recommending getting a test?

rosie16 wrote: »
    What regions roughly are people getting their test results with the quick turn around? Day 4 tomorrow, missed an entire week of work.

Mine was Swords. Test - result, ~32 hours. Follow up with them if you don't hear anything as waiting and isolating is unpleasant. There's a link and a number on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/how-to-get-tested.html

• Advertisement

They're passing along HSE guidelines and not making a personal call on someone else's health over the internet. Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Thank you, am waiting on a call back from Gp. Feel very dramatic calling over a cough but better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Anyone recently tested in Punchestown that can give an estimated turnaround time. They said 24 to 36 hours and we're only at about 30hours but the wife has herself driven crackers waiting

xhomelezz wrote: »

I thought you had to have 2 symptoms, my bad.

To be honest given that Nursing homes have had testing reduced from weekly to fortnightly I believe they should be concentrating on that sector to use the testing capacity.
    Kids ageing tested are coming back with a positivity rate of 0.5% against 4.5% in the general population.

Anyway, sorry that's no the OPs problem so best of luck with it to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This is the Irish Mammy school of medicine, which I and I'm sure most of us grew up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

GavMan wrote: »
    Anyone recently tested in Punchestown that can give an estimated turnaround time. They said 24 to 36 hours and we're only at about 30hours but the wife has herself driven crackers waiting

Follow up. Negative result. Turnaround time was around 30 hours from test to text

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Has anyone here who has been tested started getting calls from Ipsos MRBI (a market research company)?

I've seen on other websites they have been calling people to conduct covid surveys.

My partner was tested yesterday, and todsy they called the number she provided as part of her testing. Would they have got her number through this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That does not mean they didn't have COVID and could still be infectious. The point of testing is to track the disease and curtail its spread. If you have symtoms phone a GP who will give their professional opinion as to whether a test is needed or not. If the symptoms of COVID were clear cut, like breaking out in orange spots, we could self report, but we cant so that with this cos its a respiratory illness that can be anything from asymptomatic to severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ro2009

Had toddler with doctor yesterday, high temp for 3 days no other symptoms. Gp put him forward for a covid test, still haven't got text with appointment details, but temp has gone for over 12 hours and toddler seems fine.
    Can I cancel when I get the appointment? My mother seems to have heard you have to pay for test and it's marked as positive result if I do cancel.
    I'm just reluctant to put a 18 month old through the trauma of a test if not needed really? Any advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Posted in the main thread about this, but tested positive for Covid there during the week.

Had symptoms Tuesday that came on very suddenly at lunch time. Took myself home and rang GP. GP reckoned it wasn't much, just a chest infection - had given my symptoms as shortness of breath and a cough. Sent me for testing just to be sure.

Scheduled test for Wednesday, had test came straight home. The waiting game begun in earnest.

No contact Thursday, finally got a call from the GP Friday confirming a positive test result.

Nothing from HSE at this point, which GP was surprised about. Thankfully had a very small pool of close contacts, so informed work, rang/texted all and they all started restricting movements.

Finally got a call at about 10am this morning, with a questionnaire about my symptoms and possible avenues of transmission. Also sent me on a message with the code to upload my random IDs from the Tracker App.

Awaiting a second call now to follow up on my close contacts....

As for myself, I wasn't in good shape on Wednesday or Thursday. Sore throat, cough, joint pain and shortness of breath. Just a general... Ugh feeling.

Most of the other symptoms have cleared up but the shortness of breath is still there. My chest feels very heavy, like there is a weight on it or something.

Never had a temperature of above 37 degrees at all, so I'm hopeful I am over the worst of it.

Advertisement