Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ro2009 wrote: »
    Had toddler with doctor yesterday, high temp for 3 days no other symptoms. Gp put him forward for a covid test, still haven't got text with appointment details, but temp has gone for over 12 hours and toddler seems fine.
    Can I cancel when I get the appointment? My mother seems to have heard you have to pay for test and it's marked as positive result if I do cancel.
    I'm just reluctant to put a 18 month old through the trauma of a test if not needed really? Any advice

No you don't have to pay for the test, it's totally free. Any Covid-related consultations are also free.

My advice would be to get it done, I believe it is not as arduous for kids as they don't do the nasal swab for those under the age of 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Had toddler with doctor yesterday, high temp for 3 days no other symptoms. Gp put him forward for a covid test, still haven't got text with appointment details, but temp has gone for over 12 hours and toddler seems fine.
    Can I cancel when I get the appointment? My mother seems to have heard you have to pay for test and it's marked as positive result if I do cancel.
    I'm just reluctant to put a 18 month old through the trauma of a test if not needed really? Any advice

It's best to follow the GPs instruction and go for the test. They wouldn't have sent for the test without good reason, and GPs tend to have good working knowledge about rates in the local area and various symptoms that require testing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Necro wrote: »
    Posted in the main thread about this, but tested positive for Covid there during the week.

Had symptoms Tuesday that came on very suddenly at lunch time. Took myself home and rang GP. GP reckoned it wasn't much, just a chest infection - had given my symptoms as shortness of breath and a cough. Sent me for testing just to be sure.

Scheduled test for Wednesday, had test came straight home. The waiting game begun in earnest.

No contact Thursday, finally got a call from the GP Friday confirming a positive test result.

Nothing from HSE at this point, which GP was surprised about. Thankfully had a very small pool of close contacts, so informed work, rang/texted all and they all started restricting movements.

Finally got a call at about 10am this morning, with a questionnaire about my symptoms and possible avenues of transmission. Also sent me on a message with the code to upload my random IDs from the Tracker App.

Awaiting a second call now to follow up on my close contacts....

As for myself, I wasn't in good shape on Wednesday or Thursday. Sore throat, cough, joint pain and shortness of breath. Just a general... Ugh feeling.

Most of the other symptoms have cleared up but the shortness of breath is still there. My chest feels very heavy, like there is a weight on it or something.

Never had a temperature of above 37 degrees at all, so I'm hopeful I am over the worst of it.

Hope you are over the worst of it and you have a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Posted in the main thread about this, but tested positive for Covid there during the week.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Necro - all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

My teenage son was tested this morning , other than a cough and a brief temp yesterday he is in ok form. However I have started to feel absolutely crap. I went for a walk on a local back earlier when no one was around and was out of breath, I normally run 5km every day. I have no temperature cough or anything just extreme fatigue and an awful headache. Have just woke after sleeping for 3 hours, very unusual for me. May be going for a test myself it seems !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

14 year old son had runny nose and bit of cough, put in isolation room at school, rang up the GP that Fri evening and he arranged for covid test, got text with time for next day at 3.40 ( Saturday in Carnmore airport Galway), he's an asthmatic and had tightening of chest early Sunday morning, so hospital job, the hospital did another covid test at 4 on Sunday, the Carnmore result came back at approx 5 on Sunday, just over 25 hours and the hospital one came back on Monday at 1, just 21 hours. Was bad viral infection which alot of asthmatics seem to have got.

Both were negative, Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

Had a fever and a cough 2 weeks ago so self isolated and rang my GP who recommended a test. Walked 40ish mins to the aviva to get a test done. Bit of queue to get it done but the test itself took about 30 seconds. Swab of the throat and a swab of the nostril. Nostril one feels a bit weird but it doesn't hurt. Came back negative 24 hours later so was in the clear. Was impressed by how quickly the test results came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Had symptoms Tuesday that came on very suddenly at lunch time. Took myself home and rang GP. GP reckoned it wasn't much, just a chest infection - had given my symptoms as shortness of breath and a cough. Sent me for testing just to be sure.

Scheduled test for Wednesday, had test came straight home. The waiting game begun in earnest.

No contact Thursday, finally got a call from the GP Friday confirming a positive test result.

Nothing from HSE at this point, which GP was surprised about. Thankfully had a very small pool of close contacts, so informed work, rang/texted all and they all started restricting movements.

Finally got a call at about 10am this morning, with a questionnaire about my symptoms and possible avenues of transmission. Also sent me on a message with the code to upload my random IDs from the Tracker App.

Awaiting a second call now to follow up on my close contacts....

As for myself, I wasn't in good shape on Wednesday or Thursday. Sore throat, cough, joint pain and shortness of breath. Just a general... Ugh feeling.

Most of the other symptoms have cleared up but the shortness of breath is still there. My chest feels very heavy, like there is a weight on it or something.

Never had a temperature of above 37 degrees at all, so I'm hopeful I am over the worst of it.

Sorry to hear that. I have heard before that in some cases symptoms can be very rapid alright. Can you describe that a bit more please?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I was tested yesterday morning at 10am , I was told I’d get a text or phone call probably today but received nothing. Is it possible to get the text on a Sunday does anyone know ? I kind of want to know ASAP if I’m negative or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ro2009

I'm still waiting on an appointment for test, was referred by gp yesterday evening..I didn't think appointment would take this long?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sorry to hear that. I have heard before that in some cases symptoms can be very rapid alright. Can you describe that a bit more please?

Yeah it seemed to just come over me all of a sudden after lunch on Tuesday, I was suddenly very breathless and had a cough. Immediately took myself out of work and phoned my GP who got me in for a test on the Wednesday.

Wednesday morning I woke up with a headache and sore throat along with the shortness of breath, the sore throat and headache abated in the afternoon though the sore throat came back again the following morning on the Thursday.

Since Friday till this morning then I've just had a very heavy feeling on my chest. Like my lungs were cased in cement or something heavy was leaning down on my chest constantly is the best way to describe it.

That has abated now, though the cough is still there and I'm not really exerting myself at all given when I picked up some Lego for the kids yesterday I got very breathless.

But hopefully, the worst has passed.

I'm still waiting on an appointment for test, was referred by gp yesterday evening..I didn't think appointment would take this long?

My friend who would be a close contact rang his GP Friday evening and only got the text the following day.

Similarly my wife and kids had tests organised yesterday morning but only got confirmation in the evening of the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It can be 24 hours before you get a text

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ro2009

My friend who would be a close contact rang his GP Friday evening and only got the text the following day.

Similarly my wife and kids had tests organised yesterday morning but only got confirmation in the evening of the appointment.

Thanks, yeah it's strange we were referred Friday evening? Still no word. Does anyone know a number that can be contacted about it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thanks, yeah it's strange we were referred Friday evening? Still no word. Does anyone know a number that can be contacted about it
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/ but line closed now till 8 a.m. tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

What's the current turnaround for test results in last few days?

deise18 wrote: »
    What's the current turnaround for test results in last few days?

About 24 hrs, my GP got my results on Thursday after I was tested Wednesday.

It's the contact tracing that is stuttering a bit under sheer amount of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Daughter rang HSE at about 11.40 this AM, who then referred her to local GP.
    GP rang back at 12.05 and she has app. for 14.45 this PM

Very impressed with the turnaround time for giving out appointments

(WestCork based)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

I think contact tracing should be scrapped. It's not suitable for a contagious and widespread virus like sars-cov-2 that is harmless to the majority, and has little effect.

Also, contact tracing causes hypertesting. Currently only 6% of those tested are positive. This hypertesting is a waste of time, money and resources.

We can't test our way out of our present situation (I was going to say "out of the epidemic" but the epidemic ended months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know the current turnaround time from swabbing to test result? Or does it depend on location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 purplecorn

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know the current turnaround time from swabbing to test result? Or does it depend on location?

Someone I know was tested in Dublin on Friday morning and is still waiting on a result. Seems like the turnaround time has increased - my partner was tested two weeks ago and got results back after 32 hours.

purplecorn wrote: »
    Someone I know was tested in Dublin on Friday morning and is still waiting on a result. Seems like the turnaround time has increased - my partner was tested two weeks ago and got results back after 32 hours.

Thanks for that. I presume weekends are counted as normal days and it's not just working days but maybe less staff on weekends or just more pressure in Dublin especially with numbers being tested. HSE site says 3 days which seems a bit optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Some tests are coming back in around 24 hours. Others within 48 hours. Don't know the overall stats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

My brother in law is after been tested this am hes been told to expect 4 days.i am 24 hours waiting so far.both of us have our 14 day quarteen periods finished today both our jobs will now not take us back untill we get our reaults.
    if we were only an intercounty footballer our results would be fast tracked.

sligono1 wrote: »
    My brother in law is after been tested this am hes been told to expect 4 days.i am 24 hours waiting so far.both of us have our 14 day quarteen periods finished today both our jobs will now not take us back untill we get our reaults.
    if we were only an intercounty footballer our results would be fast tracked.

Did ye only get swabbed 13 days in? That seems very long wait for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Did ye only get swabbed 13 days in? That seems very long wait for ye

No firstly after contact but contact tracing seems be turning into a shambles bro in law was told he didn't need a second test then rang 4 days later to say he has to.
    I scheduled another tru my gp

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

I was swabbed in Meath (Ashbourne) last Wednesday and told it would take up to 3 days for results. Ended up being 25 hours from testing to result received by text. Negative, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murt_

I was swabbed in the Aviva at 10am yesterday (Sunday) got the results (negative) at 18:50 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

rosie16 wrote: »
    What regions roughly are people getting their test results with the quick turn around? Day 4 tomorrow, missed an entire week of work.

I had both my tests in Cork: in April (Pairc UI Chaoimh) I was waiting just over a week for my results, on Saturday 26th of September (North Link Business Park) I got my results the next evening. So, very quick turnaround the second time.

However, I'm still very ill with "covid like" symptoms and I'm being sent from pillar to post to try to figure out the causation :(

• Advertisement

It's a pity they're not testing for antibodies as well as the virus.
    I've been tested twice, once when I had a bit of a chest infection/had been smoking so with weekend timing etc. I was almost better by the time I got the test done.
    Second time was going in for an operation, negative again.
    Sister's been tested after some symptoms, negative.
    Mother has been tested a bunch of times, is getting chemo right now so has to get tested before each session and did for previous treatment, all negative.

Advertisement