Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

My boys test result was not detected but I requested a test when he appeared off form with a virus. Ie more than a cold. He was knocked out for a week with whatever he had and needed to take steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

fits wrote: »
    My boys test result was not detected but I requested a test when he appeared off form with a virus. Ie more than a cold. He was knocked out for a week with whatever he had and needed to take steroids.
    My lad gets a bad dose this time every year so hopefully it’s the usual virus and steroids normally sort it out.
    He is asthmatic as well so GP thinks its just a dose.
    Rang GP at 9 got text for test today at 11.30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Got notified my son was a close contact on the 27th Nov. Test was done on 3rd Dec. Still no word on results.

Is this kind of delay normal? He was tested in Swords, a facility with a huge amount of testing bays and we were the only ones there. Seems crazy that it takes this long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

eviltwin wrote: »
    Got notified my son was a close contact on the 27th Nov. Test was done on 3rd Dec. Still no word on results.

Is this kind of delay normal? He was tested in Swords, a facility with a huge amount of testing bays and we were the only ones there. Seems crazy that it takes this long.

No. My oh got tested in Swords and had his result 36 hours later

They might have mislaid the results or sent them to your GP

Call your GP and HSE live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My son tested in Naas last week got results in 28 hours , I would contact them . I think 48 hours is the longest most have to wait .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I got tested today for the first time, I have been suffering with extreme nasal congestion all week and anosmia, its really not a new thing for me (nasal congestion 20+ years) so decided to get tested as I have been in quarantine for the past 12 days after being abroad. Around 3 hours after my test I got a close contact text and subsequent phone call from the contact tracing team, one of the passengers within 2 metres of me on the flight last month tested positive. Hoping for a negative test tomorrow, I had covid19 in March but was not tested as they were rationing tests at the time. I was sicker then but still mild compared to Swine and Avian flu in years previous which were bad doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Anyone know what happens if you cancel a test? Rang GP first thing this morning as I had a slight sore throat and slight loss of smell since yesterday evening he then referred me for a test.

My test is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. My sore throat has disappeared and my sense of smell has come back.

What happens if I cancel the test? Will my GP have to contact me asking why?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

Went to my GP and asked where the best place to get a private test would be but he just put me down for the normal one so getting a test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happens if you cancel a test? Rang GP first thing this morning as I had a slight sore throat and slight loss of smell since yesterday evening he then referred me for a test.

My test is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. My sore throat has disappeared and my sense of smell has come back.

No one can force you to go but the Gp would still say get tested I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

I would get it regardless for piece of mind. It's relatively painless and probably the safer thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Does anyone have any idea what the current turnaround is in Dublin? Christmas dinner is at stake!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Does anyone have any idea what the current turnaround is in Dublin? Christmas dinner is at stake!

Hse still says majority are getting results under 48 hours from referral. Waiting on a result myself. Hoping it comes through before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Last week we had a turnaround of 36 hours from test to result. Test was in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

harr wrote: »
    For those who got tested and had symptoms especially had a child get tested . What were the symptoms?

We've been in lockdown for months and you don't know the symptoms?
    Common symptoms
    Common symptoms of COVID-19 include:

a fever (high temperature - 38 degrees Celsius or above)
    a new cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
    shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
    loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Got my 2nd negative result yesterday, yaaaaay!

Waste of my time, she booked us in coz she had a temperature on Friday - chances were slim as she barely leaves the house but we are in the worst part of the UK so safety first I suppose

My mother was a close contact of someone who has now tested positive for Covid. She needs to get tested but doesn't drive and wants me to drive her. I don't particularly want to do this as it means I'll have to self isolate over Xmas, but she has no other way of getting to the test centre.

Is there any advice on how to minimize the risk of transmission in the car? Obviously we'll both wear masks and gloves, she'll be in the back, we'll have the windows open. Anything else?

Are the home test kits an option? Do they work and are they quick to give an answer?

Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My Daughter was a close contact at school, she had 2 tests, one on the 18th Dec and a follow up on the 21st, both came back with results inside 24 hours, and both negative thankfully! Also Swords based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

My mother was a close contact of someone who has now tested positive for Covid. She needs to get tested but doesn't drive and wants me to drive her. I don't particularly want to do this as it means I'll have to self isolate over Xmas, but she has no other way of getting to the test centre.

Is there any advice on how to minimize the risk of transmission in the car? Obviously we'll both wear masks and gloves, she'll be in the back, we'll have the windows open. Anything else?

Are the home test kits an option? Do they work and are they quick to give an answer?

The national ambulance service were swabbing people who could not drive to a test centre. I'm not sure if this is still an option. Maybe a call to the HSE helpline or GP can provide a definitive answer.

The precautions you're taking sound fine for reducing the risk of transmission while in the car.

There are no home self swab, quick answer tests. Those would not be reliable.

Unfortunately although the use of measures like you suggest will help prevent transmission, they do not prevent you from being a close contact if your mother were to test positive. Unless your mother tests positive you are not required to isolate however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Unfortunately although the use of measures like you suggest will help prevent transmission, they do not prevent you from being a close contact if your mother were to test positive. Unless your mother tests positive you are not required to isolate however

It might depend on how long the journey is as well.

I work in a hospital and would be in close proximity to a number of colleagues over the course of the day, but wear a mask at all times.
    We were told none of us would be considered close contacts if anyone tests positive. We would be considered casual contacts. That may just be a policy to prevent multiple staff being off isolating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Get the proper grade of the masks n99 or n95, if you can, both of you. Plus of course hand sanitizer s ready, better than gloves. That should do the trick.

It might depend on how long the journey is as well.

I work in a hospital and would be in close proximity to a number of colleagues over the course of the day, but wear a mask at all times.
    We were told none of us would be considered close contacts if anyone tests positive. We would be considered casual contacts. That may just be a policy to prevent multiple staff being off isolating.

In my workplace, the use of PPE only rules out contacts that don’t meet the greater the 15 minutes at less than 2 metre rule. We also consider employees who share a car as being close contacts regardless off PPE or duration.

It’s a very large campus with over 30 confirmed cases but no work contacts of any of the cases have tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I became symptomatic in Sept (it turned out not to be covid) but I ďont drive. As a carer I can't leave my dad unattended and I was feeling very unwell so couldn't walk, so I arranged for them to come to me. A member if the ambulance crew called out to the house to perform the the test. There is an option on the text she was sent to cancel the appointment at the test centre if she cliks that and cancels she will be contacted by phone and she can explain her situation and a mobile unit will visit her, at least that's how it worked for me. No way you should drive her if you don't live with her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If you're close to a Eurogiant shop, they sell kn95 masks.

If you live with your mother, I think you're meant to be isolating until her results are back, so not sure how you'll pick up some of those masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Can you get a letter from the HSE to confirm you are tested negative? I will need to undergo another test if I am to fly out of here next week, in me and my partners experience with the Bons Secours and HSE it is just a text message; that won't cut the mustard at the airport however.

Thanks for all the replies. We've now arranged with the HSE hotline for an ambulance to come swab her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

theguzman wrote: »
    Can you get a letter from the HSE to confirm you are tested negative? I will need to undergo another test if I am to fly out of here next week, in me and my partners experience with the Bons Secours and HSE it is just a text message; that won't cut the mustard at the airport however.

You need a private test and I believe they are all booked for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Thanks for all the replies. We've now arranged with the HSE hotline for an ambulance to come swab her.

Thats great news..hopefully it will be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Glad she got sorted. This option isn't publicised widely enough, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

theguzman wrote: »

Nope, you need to pay €200+ per person for a private test if you need a PCR Cert to fly, most are booked out for the next number of days.

Advertisement