Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Inquitus wrote: »
    Nope, you need to pay €200+ per person for a private test if you need a PCR Cert to fly, most are booked out for the next number of days.

What is the difference? Is the PCR a different higher quality type of test?

I had a nasal and throat swab two weeks ago from the HSE and received a text confirming my negative result.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

theguzman wrote: »

I had a nasal and throat swab two weeks ago from the HSE and received a text confirming my negative result.

But it was two weeks ago...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

theguzman wrote: »

You had a PCR test if it was via the HSE, it's the most accurate test, but depending on your destination other options that are cheaper may be acceptable to your country of arrival, they will still need to be done privately but may cost a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

galway_lad wrote: »
    But it was two weeks ago...?

I was just wondering what type of test the HSE conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

My mother was a close contact of someone who has now tested positive for Covid. She needs to get tested but doesn't drive and wants me to drive her. I don't particularly want to do this as it means I'll have to self isolate over Xmas, but she has no other way of getting to the test centre.

Is there any advice on how to minimize the risk of transmission in the car? Obviously we'll both wear masks and gloves, she'll be in the back, we'll have the windows open. Anything else?

Are the home test kits an option? Do they work and are they quick to give an answer?

Any advice would be appreciated
    My own mother was tested at home in October a day after being recommended for a test.
    She won't drive into the city so asked for a home test. We were not around anyway so couldn't drive her. There was no issue with this, an ambulance went to her house so she was worried about the neighbours more than anything.
    The test was negative btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Got test results back in 24 h today from HSE. System seems to be coping with increasing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Wow that's great. Where was that? Waiting on results for my 3 month old. Tested yesterday

quote="nommm;115692441"]Got test results back in 24 h today from HSE. System seems to be coping with increasing numbers.[/quote]

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Wow that's great. Where was that? Waiting on results for my 3 month old. Tested yesterday

quote="nommm;115692441"]Got test results back in 24 h today from HSE. System seems to be coping with increasing numbers.
    [/quote]

Croke Park. Was tested yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Got tested in Randox at the airport last night as precaution before Christmas and got my result back already (negative).
    Great service for €99 and turnaround of 18 hours.
    There was a queue of about 50 out the door but we all through in about 10 minutes (approx 20 swabbing stations inside)

Puts the HSE to shame- they guarantee 24hr turnaround.
    I know someone who got their results back with 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Got tested in Randox at the airport last night as precaution before Christmas and got my result back already (negative).
    Great service for €99 and turnaround of 18 hours.
    There was a queue of about 50 out the door but we all through in about 10 minutes (approx 20 swabbing stations inside)

Puts the HSE to shame- they guarantee 24hr turnaround.
    I know someone who got their results back with 12 hours.

That’s great service, will give people some comfort but to be pedantic, you didn’t get a negative result, you got “not detected”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    That’s great service, will give people some comfort but to be pedantic, you didn’t get a negative result, you got “not detected”.

Incorrect this is the wording:
    Randox wrote:
    Your coronavirus (COVID-19) test result is negative. You do not have the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got a text out of the blue yesterday saying I’ve an appointment for a test today. No one called me, no doctor or HSE person, so I don’t know why I have to have a test.

Has this happened to anyone, is there an opportunity to find out why an appointment was made for me? (It’s definitely not spam BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

quaalude wrote: »
    I got a text out of the blue yesterday saying I’ve an appointment for a test today. No one called me, no doctor or HSE person, so I don’t know why I have to have a test.

Has this happened to anyone, is there an opportunity to find out why an appointment was made for me? (It’s definitely not spam BTW).

I think they send a text if you are a close contact asking you to go online to book at test first. Are you sure its not this? strange ...restrict the auld movements and get on to the helpline straight away incase it is a data entry problem and someone else really needs that test.
    Remember if you cant drive or have no one able to drive you ...ask for a call out test.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/contact-the-hse.html
    COVID-19 helpline

Phone the COVID-19 helpline if you are waiting more than 2 days for your COVID-19 (coronavirus) test result:

Lo-call: 1850 24 1850

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm

Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 5pm

Good luck

speckle wrote: »
    I think they send a text if you are a close contact asking you to go online to book at test first. Are you sure its not this? strange ...restrict the auld movements and get on to the helpline straight away incase it is a data entry problem and someone else really needs that test.
    Remember if you cant drive or have no one able to drive you ...ask for a call out test.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/contact-the-hse.html
    COVID-19 helpline

Phone the COVID-19 helpline if you are waiting more than 2 days for your COVID-19 (coronavirus) test result:

Lo-call: 1850 24 1850

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm

Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 5pm

Good luck

Thanks
    No - it was an appointment, made for today at 4.30. I’m going soon, it’s a short bike ride.
    I was out of the house when I got the text and went straight home and isolated etc

I called the HSE helpline there, the guy agreed it was not normal for this, he took all my details and told me someone would call me. He told me to definitely go and take the test as instructed.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks
    No - it was an appointment, made for today at 4.30. I’m going soon, it’s a short bike ride.
    I was out of the house when I got the text and went straight home and isolated etc

I called the HSE helpline there, the guy agreed it was not normal for this, he took all my details and told me someone would call me. He told me to definitely go and take the test as instructed.

Thanks again!

My Daughter has had two tests in the past few days and both results came back in under 24 hours, hope yours does to, so you can get on and enjoy xmas as best you can!

How kind, glad for you and your daughter - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Did anyone who was tested yesterday (am)get the result back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

signostic wrote: »

GFs brother tested Monday (am) and got result yesterday around 5:30ish. So if it's the same pattern hopefully you'll hear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Tested today for the second time. The first time it was grand but I thought my eye was going to bust today, the lad must have been in a mood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Incorrect this is the wording:

Wow - that’s amazing, maybe they have to use that wording for those who want to travel, Cheers.

• Advertisement

signostic wrote: »

I was tested at 9am yesterday , got result around 10 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Baby was tested at 4PM yesterday in swords. Got negative result at 7.30 pm today so just over 24 hour turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MagoP

Thanks

Thanks again!

Did someone make the appointment for you and forget to tell you? That's pretty weird otherwise

MagoP wrote: »
    Did someone make the appointment for you and forget to tell you? That's pretty weird otherwise

I still don’t know! I called the HSE, my own doctor, and the public health phone line. No-one has a clue. HSE promised me a callback which I’ve not gotten yet.
    I asked a doctor friend, he agreed it was odd but could shed no light either.

I still don’t know! I called the HSE, my own doctor, and the public health phone line. No-one has a clue. HSE promised me a callback which I’ve not gotten yet.
    I asked a doctor friend, he agreed it was odd but could shed no light either.

Got my results in just 20 hours, a negative!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Got my results in just 20 hours, a negative!

great news..I would still following up otherwise you still have to restrict movements but you dont even know when from/the starting point at the moment?

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/close-contact-and-casual-contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

are negative results coming back quicker than positive results ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    are negative results coming back quicker than positive results ?

They have in the past in my experience

Think with weak positives they retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Tested yesterday at 1420 and I’m on the priority list.. no symptoms.. getting worried now if they’re getting back to negatives in 20 hours!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tested yesterday at 1420 and I’m on the priority list.. no symptoms.. getting worried now if they’re getting back to negatives in 20 hours!!

I know someone waiting 28 hours at this stage .

Advertisement