Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hi folks, im a little concerned.

I feel like my sense of taste has diminished, its not gone completely. But i feel like its not what it used to be.

I've no other symptoms but should i get myself tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Vicxas wrote: »

I feel like my sense of taste has diminished, its not gone completely. But i feel like its not what it used to be.

Ring GP or out of hours service. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Vicxas wrote: »

Best get tested, even for your own peace of mind. That seems to be most common symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone know how long you'll be waiting on a test if you were referred yesterday? Living in Kildare/ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi ,
    Anyone getting headaches only . Been having them for 2 days and nothing else except for a turn of asthma during this time .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I was with a friend 48 hours before he became symptomatic and he has since tested positive. Am I likely to be regarded as a close contact?

Yes, don't wait for contact tracing to tell you. Isolate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Hi ,
    Anyone getting headaches only . Been having them for 2 days and nothing else except for a turn of asthma during this time .

Yesterday I felt like throat was sore but just slightly felt a bit achey. Woke up today and felt fine but have had a headache now for a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MODS: can we reopen the poll??, to get a more current perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was with a friend 48 hours before he became symptomatic and he has since tested positive. Am I likely to be regarded as a close contact?

Yes. Self isolate and get a test. Also contact your close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dwainec

Hi ,

Getting a few yeh. Feel more cold than anything but not getting any loss of taste etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Hi
    I'm not normally a worrier but have myself a little wound up about this.

I was tested on Friday - precautionary as I work in a care setting and due back to work next week. I had a cough and couple of aches and pains.

Got result this morning - negative but I am now doubting it. Yesterday I noticed that my sense of smell has gone, my taste has also diminished - can get sweet/sour/salty but no more specific. I also feel I have a sinus infection (get them quite regularly).

Should I take the test result as correct or do I need to try and get tested again? I figure best course of action will be to stay home today and contact GP tomorrow?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi
    I'm not normally a worrier but have myself a little wound up about this.

I was tested on Friday - precautionary as I work in a care setting and due back to work next week. I had a cough and couple of aches and pains.

Got result this morning - negative but I am now doubting it. Yesterday I noticed that my sense of smell has gone, my taste has also diminished - can get sweet/sour/salty but no more specific. I also feel I have a sinus infection (get them quite regularly).

Should I take the test result as correct or do I need to try and get tested again? I figure best course of action will be to stay home today and contact GP tomorrow?

I think you are right to stay home and contact your Gp or even the out of hours doc if you can

Emphasise that you work in a care setting and your sense of smell and taste is affected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes. Self isolate and get a test. Also contact your close contacts.

Close contacts are not getting tested now (unless they have symptoms)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭sugarman20

My test came back negative and I'm genuinely shocked as I have barely being able to get out of bed the last two days. I guess it could be the regular flu but it doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sugarman20 wrote: »
    My test came back negative and I'm genuinely shocked as I have barely being able to get out of bed the last two days. I guess it could be the regular flu but it doesn't seem likely.

Hope you feel better soon . Do you mind me asking how long you waited for a result

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭sugarman20

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Hope you feel better soon . Do you mind me asking how long you waited for a result

Thank you. Just over 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Still waiting on mine..over 30 hours now since I got tested yesterday morning in citywest. Frontline healthcare worker too so you'd think I'd be a priority. Think they can still get back to you by 9pm.

**Actually, just got my negative confirmation. What a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

When you are referred for testing by gp, how long do you have to wait until hse contact with a test date/time. Was referred by caredoc at around 9 pm last night

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

DJ98 wrote: »
    When you are referred for testing by gp, how long do you have to wait until hse contact with a test date/time. Was referred by caredoc at around 9 pm last night

I’m being tested this evening. My GP rang me this morning at 10.30am and got my text confirming my test from HSE at 11.06 am
    I would contact care doc or your gp again as the texts normally come through within the hour
    Hope you get sorted and get tested and it returns a negative result

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A family member was waiting about 90 minutes between referral and text with appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

I’m being tested this evening. My GP rang me this morning at 10.30am and got my text confirming my test from HSE at 11.06 am
    I would contact care doc or your gp again as the texts normally come through within the hour
    Hope you get sorted and get tested and it returns a negative result

Could it be down to high numbers going for testing this week that referrals are taking longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I waited 4 days between getting referred and getting the text for an appointment, had the test on day 5. Got the result back the following day and was positive.
    I had to chase the HSE for my appointment, rang them, emailed, Twitter, the lot. I reckon I must have been forgotten about.

I finished my self isolation yesterday which was also the day I got a reply to my email I had sent trying to get my appointment date!!

The scary thing is my symptoms were so mild I was fully sure I was negative and it took so much time and effort on my behalf to get the appointment I was on the verge of just forgetting about it. I only followed through out of stubbornness rather then out of concern that I might have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Skuxx wrote: »
    I waited 4 days between getting referred and getting the text for an appointment, had the test on day 5. Got the result back the following day and was positive.
    I had to chase the HSE for my appointment, rang them, emailed, Twitter, the lot. I reckon I must have been forgotten about.

I finished my self isolation yesterday which was also the day I got a reply to my email I had sent trying to get my appointment date!!

The scary thing is my symptoms were so mild I was fully sure I was negative and it took so much time and effort on my behalf to get the appointment I was on the verge of just forgetting about it. I only followed through out of stubbornness rather then out of concern that I might have it.

Did your symptoms ever get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I also waited 4 days but had no symptoms and only tested because the DFA txted me and asked me to get a test because I travelled back to Ireland in that 48hour boarders closure period just before Christmas. My understanding (guess really) is that if you tell the Doctor you have no symptoms you have to wait.

Hoping to get the result sometime today having tested yesterday morning.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Did your symptoms ever get worse?

No, thankfully my only symptoms were tiredness and a headache which both hit me St. Stephens Day. Part of me put it down to one too many gins on Christmas day but my wife talked me into ringing the doctors anyway.
    By the following day this had passed which further made me suspect it was just a mild hangover.
    Have been fine since really if a little tired but the lack of exercise and fresh air probably isn't t helping that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I started getting cold symptoms the day before Xmas Eve . Just sniffy no headache or temperature etc . On Sunday night I went for a run , had a beer , started a new nightly skin care regime and went to bed . Didn’t sleep a wink - started shivering and felt cold but was hot to touch - temperature spiked at 40 degrees . Started coughing a bit - gently and not that often . I rang the doctor first thing in the morning and was tested yesterday at 4 . Had bad headaches through the day yesterday and felt quite weak and chesty . Temperature never went back up to 40 but has been going Between 37.4-38 . Feel ok now - still coughing a bit . Feeling incredibly guilty as had Xmas dinner with my parents with what I thought was a wee sniffle .I received the test time within 30 mins of talking to the doctor . I hope the test is negative but it seems very unlikely . Also my test was not invasive at all - a swab in mouth and not down throat and a brief tickle in the nose ???

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Got the HSE appointment text within about 30 minutes of getting off the phone with GP. he did say results might take 4 or 5 days due to backlog but will update the thread when I get them.
    Bad headaches Friday and Saturday, sore throat, sinus pain, moderate dry cough, no temp I think, but consistently feeling totally wiped and dizzy. If it was any other time I'd just get on with things, but other people in the house need to physically go to work (I'm WFH) so we're all isolating until get the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I was convinced I had coronavirus. I had a slight fever, dry cough, chills, aching all over, fatigue, shortness of breath and soreness in my chest when breathing deeply or talking. I'm feeling much better now but I was so shocked when my test came back negative. My wife had the exact same symptoms just 24-48 hours after me. I'm still off work as I'm not 100%. I can normally run 10-15k easily and I was short of breath after a brisk walk yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheddie2

Got tested as a close contact, sympthoms were very mild so was shocked to get a positive result. I certainly would never have though I had contracted Covid.

Family member was sympthomatic but his test came back negative! I believe that 20 to 30% of tests can return an incorrect negative result, for example, a bad sample could have been taken.

• Advertisement

Sheddie2 wrote: »
    Family member was sympthomatic but his test came back negative! I believe that 20 to 30% of tests can return an incorrect negative result, for example, a bad sample could have been taken.

That's definitely not the official narrative. Rapid antigen tests have a much better false negative rate than that, but they aren't recommended due to them not being accurate enough. PCR tests can give false positives, i.e. people who have cleared the virus and are no longer infectious can still test positive.

Of course, if they are mixing up samples, not swabbing correctly etc that's a whole other ballgame.

If they are really taking samples wrong etc to get that level of false negatives, we are in serious trouble.

Advertisement