Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bigbooty wrote: »
    I was convinced I had coronavirus. I had a slight fever, dry cough, chills, aching all over, fatigue, shortness of breath and soreness in my chest when breathing deeply or talking. I'm feeling much better now but I was so shocked when my test came back negative. My wife had the exact same symptoms just 24-48 hours after me. I'm still off work as I'm not 100%. I can normally run 10-15k easily and I was short of breath after a brisk walk yesterday.

I was exactly the same myself a few weeks back, got tested negative but couldn't shake it, runs outside were horrible. In the end my GP put me on steroids and antibiotics and within 24 hours was starting to feel better, so there are other bugs going around as usual at this time of year.
    Back 100% running again now, hope you feel better soon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Friend of mine got test at 5pm yesterday and got his result just now. Pretty swift turn around considering how busy they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheddie2

That's definitely not the official narrative. Rapid antigen tests have a much better false negative rate than that, but they aren't recommended due to them not being accurate enough. PCR tests can give false positives, i.e. people who have cleared the virus and are no longer infectious can still test positive.

Of course, if they are mixing up samples, not swabbing correctly etc that's a whole other ballgame.

If they are really taking samples wrong etc to get that level of false negatives, we are in serious trouble.

Hi, probably gave a bad example there but there seems to be some evidence for a high level of false negatives.

From HSELibrary.ie

The diagnosis of COVID-19 is made by detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA by reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)5. The CDC recommends collection of a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab specimen to test for SARS-CoV-24. Oropharyngeal, nasal mid-turbinate, or nasal swabs of both nares are acceptable alternatives for symptomatic patients if nasopharyngeal swabs are unavailable5. A positive test for SARS-CoV-2 generally confirms the diagnosis of COVID-19 but false-negative tests from upper respiratory specimens have been well documented5.

It is unclear the exact percentage of tests that produce false negatives but evidence from China proposes that this could be as high as 30% 6, 14, 15. The sensitivity of testing depends on the type of specimen obtained, the quality of the specimen, the duration of illness at the time of testing and on the precise RT-PCR assay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Guys, quick one. The test type used in the communal centers such as the one in the show center in cloghran, are these Antigen or PCR? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

dodzy wrote: »
    Guys, quick one. The test type used in the communal centers such as the one in the show center in cloghran, are these Antigen or PCR? Just curious.

Hse only do pcr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I also waited 4 days but had no symptoms and only tested because the DFA txted me and asked me to get a test because I travelled back to Ireland in that 48hour boarders closure period just before Christmas. My understanding (guess really) is that if you tell the Doctor you have no symptoms you have to wait.

Hoping to get the result sometime today having tested yesterday morning.

Just got the results back about a 27hr wait - negative :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Results back within 20 hours- negative thankfully
    Considering the amount of tests and the pressure they must be under that’s an excellent turn around time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I started getting cold symptoms the day before Xmas Eve . Just sniffy no headache or temperature etc . On Sunday night I went for a run , had a beer , started a new nightly skin care regime and went to bed . Didn’t sleep a wink - started shivering and felt cold but was hot to touch - temperature spiked at 40 degrees . Started coughing a bit - gently and not that often . I rang the doctor first thing in the morning and was tested yesterday at 4 . Had bad headaches through the day yesterday and felt quite weak and chesty . Temperature never went back up to 40 but has been going Between 37.4-38 . Feel ok now - still coughing a bit . Feeling incredibly guilty as had Xmas dinner with my parents with what I thought was a wee sniffle .I received the test time within 30 mins of talking to the doctor . I hope the test is negative but it seems very unlikely . Also my test was not invasive at all - a swab in mouth and not down throat and a brief tickle in the nose ???

Just got results and I’m negative . Relieved but definitely surprised as my brother tested positive with no fever and just a slight headache .There are definitely other nasty viruses around !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Rang the doctor yesterday at 3pm explaining that I had a mild symptom. He said better to err on the side of caution so organised a test and I was tested exactly 1 hour later.

My result came back at 9.20am this morning. Positive. And contact tracing rang me at 11.40am.

So from time I rang the doctor to the time contact tracing rang me it was 19.5hours give and take. That is impressive by any metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

No queues at the Cork Blackpool centre, in and out in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Anyone waiting a while for results in cork family member waiting 48 hours now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

That's definitely not the official narrative. Rapid antigen tests have a much better false negative rate than that, but they aren't recommended due to them not being accurate enough. PCR tests can give false positives, i.e. people who have cleared the virus and are no longer infectious can still test positive.

Of course, if they are mixing up samples, not swabbing correctly etc that's a whole other ballgame.

If they are really taking samples wrong etc to get that level of false negatives, we are in serious trouble.

Rapid antigen tests have a greater likelihood of generating false negatives as they have poor sensitivity. They are not good at detecting low levels of the virus. PCR is much more sensitive.

The biggest contributor to false negative results is the quality of the swab taken. If the swab does not reach the back of the throat or go deep enough up the nose, there may not be much viral particles taken and therefore wont be detected.

In the UK and other countries they allow for self swabbing. That is not a good idea as a lay person would not be trained to take an invasive swab on themselves and may contaminate the sample. In Ireland, all swabs are taken by people trained specifically in the proper sampling technique. This should reduce the number of false negatives, but there is no way to assess the quality of each swab.

There has been so much misinformation about the number of false positives generated from PCR testing. That is a rare occurrence due to rigorous laboratory operating procedures designed to check and minimise this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Just back from having the test in swords, huge respect to the irish army getting stuck in with the testing. The place was so busy, an endless supply of people going through the doors.
    Phoned my gp at 8.50am told him the symptoms he said its probably just the flu but since covid is the new kid in town he'd arrange a test, still in bed shivering. Hopefully negative

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Quick one guys.

My dad is 80, and had to have a covid test done prior to a hospital appointment he had.

The tester told my dad the test is inconclusive. Not sure what this means, but was told to get another test done. Is there a reason the test couldn't be done there and then? We've been trying to get hold of the gp all day but no answer. Must be swamped. Does a test appointment need to be booked by a GP?

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Quick one guys.

My dad is 80, and had to have a covid test done prior to a hospital appointment he had.

The tester told my dad the test is inconclusive. Not sure what this means, but was told to get another test done. Is there a reason the test couldn't be done there and then? We've been trying to get hold of the gp all day but no answer. Must be swamped. Does a test appointment need to be booked by a GP?

Try the care doc they can book it just the same as a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Anyone waiting a while for results in cork family member waiting 48 hours now ?
    GP told me yesterday could be 4 to 5 days for results on current form, am in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

eastie17 wrote: »
    GP told me yesterday could be 4 to 5 days for results on current form, am in cork

I got my results 20 hours after being tested-I was tested in Blackpool yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

I have still yet to receive an appointment, was referred Sunday evening. Anyone else getting a wait time like this?

Had to wait 4 days, but that might have been due to the fact I said I wasn't showing symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

DJ98 wrote: »
    I have still yet to receive an appointment, was referred Sunday evening. Anyone else getting a wait time like this?

I was referred on the 30th. Heard nothing until a call today 5th.
    Apparently I was booked for the 31st but I never received a message. According to them it is the settings on my phone.
    It's a wonder that I can receive texts from everyone else though.
    Anyway, now booked in for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    I was referred on the 30th. Heard nothing until a call today 5th.
    Apparently I was booked for the 31st but I never received a message. According to them it is the settings on my phone.
    It's a wonder that I can receive texts from everyone else though.
    Anyway, now booked in for tomorrow.

I've no mobile coverage at home where I was isolating, was surprised to eventually get a call on the landline (I'd given them that number).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Rang Sunday morning for app wife and myself - very mild symptoms. Got confirmation text 3hrs later with test following day (midday/cloghran). Tested and results back. My result back positive 20hrs after testing. Wife’s back within 30hrs. Also Positive. Very efficient setup out there in the center at the back of the coachmans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I was in Florida in February with work last year, felt sick few days before I flew home on the 2nd of March and remained sick for a week after that, was a respiratory illness but no fever . I went to my gp while I was sick and got tested. At the time my GP was being replaced and there was a fill in doctor. I waited a few days before ringing for my result and they said they had no record of my test, Rang HSE and they said the same. A week or two later the GPs surgery closed and I had to switch to a new GP in the Area no record of my test either. So Iv been tested but never received a result. It could have been the flu, a cold or Covid I have not Idea. That was right at the start of the pandemic here and at the time Florida had no cases and Ireland had only one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 943

Probably a silly question but my partner has to get tested he had symptoms and isolated. So when he is waiting I have to stay out of work but now I have developed symptoms. Is that considered a close contact and I won't be tested or how does that work

943 wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but my partner has to get tested he had symptoms and isolated. So when he is waiting I have to stay out of work but now I have developed symptoms. Is that considered a close contact and I won't be tested or how does that work

Ring your GP and ask for a referral as you have become symptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 purplecorn

It actually doesn't matter here if you are considered a close contact or not, - the fact that you have symptoms means that if you contact your GP you'll be referred for a test!

Sheddie2 wrote: »
    Ring your GP and ask for a referral as you have become symptomatic.

Thank you

purplecorn wrote: »
    It actually doesn't matter here if you are considered a close contact or not, - the fact that you have symptoms means that if you contact your GP you'll be referred for a test!

Yeah I was wondering that and didn't want to waste their time. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 28 purplecorn

Yeah I was wondering that and didn't want to waste their time. Thanks a mill

You won't be wasting anybody's time – by getting tested you are doing the right thing and helping to stop the spread! :)

• Advertisement

purplecorn wrote: »
    You won't be wasting anybody's time – by getting tested you are doing the right thing and helping to stop the spread! :)

Agreed. Definitely not wasting time. Will also inform you as to how long you need to isolate - if both positive (obviously not what you want), you can isolate together and it may make things easier logistically within your home.

Advertisement