Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

How painful is it?

I'll have to get one soon, but it seems awfully uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

How painful is it?

I didn't find it bad at all, I would have no anxiety about going for one again. Didn't really even notice the throat swab. The nasal one kind of felt like there was pressure in my nostrils and I kind of felt like I would sneeze, eyes watered a bit but in the way you might feel if something was irritating/tickling your nostrils rather than pain in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How painful is it?

Not a bit painful. Throat was barely noticeable. Eyes watered with the nasal swab but more because of tickling. Nothing to fear at all.

Not a bit painful. Throat was barely noticeable. Eyes watered with the nasal swab but more because of tickling. Nothing to fear at all.

Good to hear.

Maybe it's just videos of it that look painful.

I've seen a fair few and the length of the instrument used, and the recipient's body reaction seemed to be almost resisting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Flintstones90

Anyone know what the general wait times for a test are now? Waiting for one since Saturday and not sure when to expect it.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the general wait times for a test are now? Waiting for one since Saturday and not sure when to expect it.

If you have symptoms in Dublin I know that a week ago the test was the next day. However, my wife who was just a close contact with no symptoms was waiting for one since last Saturday. She had it today.

Good to hear.

Maybe it's just videos of it that look painful.

I've seen a fair few and the length of the instrument used, and the recipient's body reaction seemed to be almost resisting it.

I never saw videos. 5 tests done in our household over the past 14 days. Not one complaint of it being sore or uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Flintstones90

If you have symptoms in Dublin I know that a week ago the test was the next day. However, my wife who was just a close contact with no symptoms was waiting for one since last Saturday. She had it today.

Damn! When I got the call I had no symptoms at all and started to develop some since then. I might give the GP a call to check in....although probably won’t do much!!

Damn! When I got the call I had no symptoms at all and started to develop some since then. I might give the GP a call to check in....although probably won’t do much!!

I got a text from the HSE with a test appointment while I was on the call to the GP. Tell them your symptoms and they will schedule it.

Chances are that you’ll be positive, so take care of yourself. Hopefully you won’t have too much of a rough ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

According to the HPSC close contacts are tested 5 days after their contact with an infected person.

That was a change from the previous policy of testing contacts on day 1 and day 7.

So waiting a few days for a test appointment isn't unusual.
    Those with symptoms and those that go through their GP to arrange a test get their appointments soon after.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/contacttracingguidance/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did you get any result yet?

No results after 2 weeks.
    Called Doctor again and spoke to receptionist. She said that they don't always get results back, for example she had the test and results back from HSE but nothing to the surgery.
    Also called HSELive again this morning. He tried again to transfer me to the results team.

At this stage I only want to know in case it has an impact on vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My sister tested positive so we are all isolating now, I'm getting tested again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

d161 wrote: »
    No results after 2 weeks.
    Called Doctor again and spoke to receptionist. She said that they don't always get results back, for example she had the test and results back from HSE but nothing to the surgery.
    Also called HSELive again this morning. He tried again to transfer me to the results team.

At this stage I only want to know in case it has an impact on vaccine.

It sounds like there is a problem with your contact information.
    A transcription error in a phone number, referral number, surname, 2 people with the same name etc can result in data falling between stools.

If you're sure all your info is correct, maybe try ringing the NVRL results line on 01-7164414 between the hours 08.30 - 13.00 or 14.00 - 17.30.

I tested positive today, no idea where we got it but contact tracing on straight away, very efficient, doctor just recommended paracetamol and vitamin C, any tips for bad headaches and all over pains?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I tested positive today, no idea where we got it but contact tracing on straight away, very efficient, doctor just recommended paracetamol and vitamin C, any tips for bad headaches and all over pains?

Sorry to see you are sick .
    They don't recommend antiinflammatories / nsaids , but you can take them if your gp says its ok .
    I found hot showers helpful for pain once you get over that painful shivering when all your hair follcles seem to be standing to attention.
    Plenty of hot drinks and rest .
    Feel better soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Sorry to see you are sick .
    They don't recommend antiinflammatories / nsaids , but you can take them if your gp says its ok .
    I found hot showers helpful for pain once you get over that painful shivering when all your hair follcles seem to be standing to attention.
    Plenty of hot drinks and rest .
    Feel better soon .

Do they ...https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/treat-symptoms-at-home.html
    It is okay to take ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories (NSAID) if you have COVID-19. There is no evidence that they are unsafe.

Only take one anti-inflammatory medication at a time. It is okay to take paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory at the same time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I was told not to take Ibuprofen Nurofen or Advil, I've found Solphadeine quite good, I've developed a cough now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sleep as much as you can. Don’t try and “power through” just sleep. When yiu are awake rest.

Drink as much as possible. Eat plain and little n often.

If yiu have temps, take paracetamol regularly. As allowed on pack. Even if temp down. It possibly will return.

Rest rest rest. You will get there.

As I said OP should check with GP first.
    Many asthmatics cannot take NSAIDs , for example .
    That page covers itself by saying read the instruction leaflet but unless it is medication a person is used to taking , Paracetamol is the only otc treatment advised.

https://hse.drsteevenslibrary.ie/c.php?g=679077&p=4845822

I'm in CUH now as oxygen low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hugs

To thine own self be true

Sorry to read, hope you are getting better x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

pottokblue wrote: »
    smurfjed PCR or antigen testing? Does your employer expect you to WFH/selfisolate while awaiting results?

Apologies, just saw this. I can’t work from home, we get the results in 4-24 hours depending on the urgency, all PCR tests. Will do my 55th one today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Sending you hugs xx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Best wishes JP Liz V1... hope you feel a lot better v soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

mate of mine - major fatigue and blocked head... rang GP said she didn't need a test....

but the fatigue is v unusual for her...
    4 days later - no change.. off work.. rang GP again - still said no need for test..
    rang SouthDoc last night (2nd
    opinion) and got a referral for a test no prob..
    Got tested this morn...

if it turns out to be positive she will be v annoyed with her GP..

anyone else have to make noise before getting a test?

Thanks all I feel a bit better, they are great in CUH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

sporina wrote: »
    mate of mine - major fatigue and blocked head... rang GP said she didn't need a test....

but the fatigue is v unusual for her...
    4 days later - no change.. off work.. rang GP again - still said no need for test..
    rang SouthDoc last night (2nd
    opinion) and got a referral for a test no prob..
    Got tested this morn...

if it turns out to be positive she will be v annoyed with her GP..

anyone else have to make noise before getting a test?

Come back and let us know about your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

Come back and let us know about your friend.

thanks will do... results in 1-3 days I guess.. stay safe all

Advertisement