Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been tested?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Fnz wrote: »
    Have had a very mild sore throat for the past week or so. I only notice it when I wake up - doesn't bother me the rest of the day.

Felt as though I'd be wasting everyone's time/resources getting tested.

Probably something minor but you should contact your GP anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Would you not rather have it though? Unless you're in the high risk category, it'd be best to get it out of the way, no?

No, that's not the message being put out and does absolutely nothing to flatten the curve.

If the majority of us are going to get it its best spread out over many months and not treated as something we should just 'get it out of the way', that's how you flood the health service.

For me, I'm still feeling well so following all the government guidelines in terms of hand hygiene protocols, social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Maybe not fully on topic but I have the following questions / observations which may be useful or corrected if not accurate.

Ratio of positive tests in Ireland approx 1 in 8 ..

Ratio of positive tests in UK approx 1 in 4?

Posted test kit (order online 1 person) from Randox (Antrim) £120

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

millb wrote: »

There is an article in the Guardian about home testing and references Randox and other providers.

Full Artlicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Maybe not fully on topic but I have the following questions / observations which may be useful or corrected if not accurate.

As far as I'm aware Uk is not testing in the general population who have symptoms, just people that go to hospital with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No, that's not the message being put out and does absolutely nothing to flatten the curve.

If the majority of us are going to get it its best spread out over many months and not treated as something we should just 'get it out of the way', that's how you flood the health service.

For me, I'm still feeling well so following all the government guidelines in terms of hand hygiene protocols, social distancing etc.

Of course it would be better to get it now if you are going to recover fully as you will be immune.

Getting it now will help flatten the curve because the peak is a few weeks away so you would not be getting the case around the peak- thus helping flatten the curve. This is predicated on you not spreading it if you do get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

So my grand-aunt who is 82 was told by her GP that it would be a three week wait for a test..

Four of her children (my second cousins) have come down with bad coughs and sore throats after one of them brought it into the house and most worryingly my aunt now has it too. Not sure about the ins and outs with her symptoms, but I was surprised they are not being more proactive given her age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

So my grand-aunt who is 82 was told by her GP that it would be a three week wait for a test..

That's crazy, what area??

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Four of her children (my second cousins) have come down with bad coughs and sore throats after one of them brought it into the house and most worryingly my aunt now has it too. Not sure about the ins and outs with her symptoms, but I was surprised they are not being more proactive given her age :(

Three weeks? That's absolutely shocking.

Our case figures must be totally botched if there are such long delays in testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

1/8 is 12.5 % . If as reported we have tested over 10 thousand people in Ireland we should have over 1250 positive cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

1/8 is 12.5 % . If as reported we have tested over 10 thousand people in Ireland we should have over 1250 positive cases.

It doesnt mean they have the results for everyone who's been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

iguana wrote: »
    There are plenty of other bugs going around. The DoH said earlier this week that at that point 97% of people being tested were testing negative. Some of those tests will be contact tracing but many are from people with similar symptoms from a different illness. While at the same time, plenty of people with little to no symptoms have Covid-19 and are not being tested. A handful of people who tested through contact tracing, tested positive and had little to no symptoms. The WHO has said that testing as much as possible is one of the best things a country can do, so don't feel bad about getting tested for mild symptoms and having a negative result.

I have a tight chest, shortness of breath from mild exertion or talking, tingly airways and lungs, fatigue, muscle aches, dizzyness, sore constricted throat and, as of this morning, a stomach upset. Under normal circumstances, I'd just rest when necessary and think nothing else of it. Even now, if I didn't have the shortness of breath/tingly airways, I'd just assume it was some other bug. Because of the shortness of breath, I called my GP and am awaiting a test. I've been told that the shortness of breath is potentially serious and to monitor it because it could be something else and call an ambulance if it gets bad. But I'm not considered high risk for a test, (no fever, 41, fit and no underlying health conditions) so could be completely better by the time I'm called for one.

Can you elaborate on your shortness of breath? At times it feels like maybe I’m imagining it because it feels like 5 % extra weight in the breath or like there’s slightly more friction to it. Just curious how you would describe yours

deise18 wrote:
    That's crazy, what area??

Couldn't believe it when my mother told me, Limerick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Can you elaborate on your shortness of breath? At times it feels like maybe I’m imagining it because it feels like 5 % extra weight in the breath or like there’s slightly more friction to it. Just curious how you would describe yours

If I'm resting it's not particularly bad, I'm not right and my chest is constricted but my breathing is mostly comfortable. But once I'm doing something, for example taking clothes out of the washing machine at a normal pace. I start finding it harder to breathe. I'm not struggling but I do have to work at it. After a few minutes I'm gasping gulps of air and my lungs don't feel full/satisfied. It's like that feeling when you're not fit and you run for a bus and it takes a good few minutes after to get your breathing back to normal. Once I rest again, my breathing becomes less laboured but my airways and my lungs are tingly as my breaths become more full. Weirdly, this also happens when I try to have a conversation. It's like I can't handle anything that disrupts my breathing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Hi all, I've just gotten a call from a private number, was from someone in the national ambulance service control centre, they're phoning to make lists of people who are willing/able to travel to be tested or would i prefer an ambulance.

He says all ambulances in my region are flat out with a massive backlog along with their regular workload so i opted to travel. Says someone will be in contact within the next 36 hours to give me an appointment & where to go as the test centre for my area won't be opening until next week. It takes a bit of the worry away as you do begin to wonder if they forgot about you, got your phone number wrong etc. Anyone else get a call?
    I'm in the same boat, rang GP on monday morning but the new referral system crashed, she rang me back & did a phone consultation, based on the answers she believes i have Covid-19. She said she'd make the referral.

45 minutes later i get a call from a very helpful lady in the dept of social protection asking me a few questions, she sends illness benefit form in the post which i receive Wednesday, fill out & a neighbour posts for me. Since then nothing, the HSE helpline is anything but helpful, i don't blame the staff one bit. I know they're under tremendous pressure & have their own health to worry about.

My concern isn't for me as I'm relatively healthy, my concern is for wife who has a chronic illness (crohn's disease) & several other underlying health issues, our 2 kids have auto immune & gastro intestinal issues & are both autistic. We are self isolating in accordance with guidelines.

All we can really do is just try to be patient & wait, unfortunately this is going to get a lot worse & i fear thousands will die. I'm worried for my elderly parents as I'm usually the one who checks on them, gets them groceries, prescriptions as none of my siblings will bother even though they live close & i live about 60 miles away.

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar predicament?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Hi all, I've just gotten a call from a private number, was from someone in the national ambulance service control centre, they're phoning to make lists of people who are willing/able to travel to be tested or would i prefer an ambulance.

Do you mind saying what area you are in?

iguana wrote: »
    If I'm resting it's not particularly bad, I'm not right and my chest is constricted but my breathing is mostly comfortable. But once I'm doing something, for example taking clothes out of the washing machine at a normal pace. I start finding it harder to breathe. I'm not struggling but I do have to work at it. After a few minutes I'm gasping gulps of air and my lungs don't feel full/satisfied. It's like that feeling when you're not fit and you run for a bus and it takes a good few minutes after to get your breathing back to normal. Once I rest again, my breathing becomes less laboured but my airways and my lungs are tingly as my breaths become more full. Weirdly, this also happens when I try to have a conversation. It's like I can't handle anything that disrupts my breathing at all.

Thanks yes that’s very similar to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Thanks yes that’s very similar to me

I went to wash my windows 2 days ago. Nothing stressful but within 30 seconds I felt tightness in my chest and was completely out of breath.

Had a slight cough for 1 day about 5 days ago. I seem ok now.

I went to wash my windows 2 days ago. Nothing stressful but within 30 seconds I felt tightness in my chest and was completely out of breath.

Had a slight cough for 1 day about 5 days ago. I seem ok now.

Great to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

deise18 wrote: »
    Do you mind saying what area you are in?

I'm in east county Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Couldn't believe it when my mother told me, Limerick

I have been waiting since last Saturday in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Can i ask anyone who has tested positive and sympotamic?

Did you think you were on the mend at any point and find it flared up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,248 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That wait is a disgrace

It seems to be a worrying trend. A staff member working on the same floor as my girlfriend is a suspected case awaiting testing since Sunday afaik, and so she has been self-isolating for the last week as a precaution. It's very difficult to keep living like this for sustained periods of time and so frustrating that there is such a big backlog. I wonder will opening the Gaelic Grounds as a testing centre will speed things up?

I have to say though these long testing times make me wonder how many cases there truly are in Ireland and indeed Limerick. While I wasn't too worried about any of my immediate family members getting it, I think the early signs are there that the HSE are going to struggle badly
    to manage this unless that curve does flatten which does not bode well for my asthmatic brother

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    That wait is a disgrace

I must ask my mother more about it this morning. Maybe my cousins have recovered from it or there's something with her symptoms that suggests she doesn't have it, but I was pretty horrified to hear that the test would take that long. I mean if she does actually have it, three weeks is a dangerously long wait for a person of her age you'd think. Surely the HSE have to be proactive with the elderly and vulnerable, from reading this thread in its entirety it seems like their waiting list system is a mixed bag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can i ask anyone who has tested positive and sympotamic?

Did you think you were on the mend at any point and find it flared up again.

Watching YouTube videos of people who has had it, I think that is what alot has been saying. You think you're better and then it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I must ask my mother more about it this morning. Maybe my cousins have recovered from it or there's something with her symptoms that suggests she doesn't have it, but I was pretty horrified to hear that the test would take that long. I mean if she does actually have it, three weeks is a dangerously long wait for a person of her age you'd think. Surely the HSE have to be proactive with the elderly and vulnerable, from reading this thread in its entirety it seems like their waiting list system is a mixed bag

My mum who is 64 reported some symptoms on Thursday. Her test is due for today. 3 days.
    Not sure why your poor grandma is to wait so long.. That seems absurd.

It's unlikely my mum has it. She has a bad wet cough after travelling yes.. but shes had a bad wet cough due to lung disease for like 10 years. It comes and goes.. its been here now 5 weeks. She feels fine otherwise. Isolated of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are people being sent to these new drive through places to get tested? What if you don't have a car? Are people getting sick certs when they ring up their GPs?

manonboard wrote:
    My mum who is 64 reported some symptoms on Thursday. Her test is due for today. 3 days. Not sure why your poor grandma is to wait so long.. That seems absurd.

It's unlikely my mum has it. She has a bad wet cough after travelling yes.. but shes had a bad wet cough due to lung disease for like 10 years. It comes and goes.. its been here now 5 weeks. She feels fine otherwise. Isolated of course.

Fingers crossed it all goes well and that your mother gets better soon. It's so hard to know with symptoms nowadays, but it would be good to know one way of another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

My GP has just retired ,he's been I'll,I've no current go,who do I call regarding getting tested? Anybody know?

Advertisement