Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part IX - 785 cases ROI (3 deaths) 108 in NI (1 death) (20 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Spanish named it the Spanish flu. It was knocking around for a while and when it arrived in Spain they didn’t realise it came from outside.

Spain was not in the war and their media was free to report on it.
    Countries in the war had media restrictions on bad news.
    Spain was the only one talking about it as it was ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Like the people who named the Spanish flu. Bunch of ten year olds.

did you know the spanish called it the french flu?

you're exactly right, bunch of 10 year olds then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Re NSAIDs/Nurofen/ibuprofen, real-time observational evidence takes a while to meet 'proper' evidence threshold and make it into official guidance. This virus was only discovered in December.

Self-medicating with the over-the-counter drugs that people have been stockpiling will do nothing to 'cure' them of the virus or improve their survival chances (in the unlikely event that an individual has severe infection).

Self-medicating for Covid 19 symptoms with NSAIDs such as ibuprofen may be harmful, according to the French health authorities, and is now discouraged by the HSE and the NHS (although the wording is unfortunately ambiguous).

Fever is a symptom, not a disease. Any self-medicating advice from health professionals such as 'take paracetamol' is purely to relieve discomfort. https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...ver-in-adults2

Panic-buyers cleared the shelves of Nurofen and other meds. Any SELF-medicating for Covid 19, particularly with NSAIDs, must be discouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

jamesf85 wrote: »
    It seems to be still on a huge upward trajectory in Italy, how is it so far ahead of the rest of Europe? The got in from Germany no?

Also the drug Remdesivir but not be the answer either. I'm sure medics in Italy have tried this now and we'd have heard if it was working

I doubt remdesivir is a readily available drug in Italy, they’ll be using hiv drugs and chloroquine I’d imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

walshb wrote: »
    It’s offensive because Trump wants it to be. Deliberately making it so.

He is an absolute toerag!

No, its offensive because you choose to be offended by it. He is just stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Someone I know who has an underlying condition is still working and using public transport daily to travel to and from work. I've checked the stats HERE (section: Case fatality rate of COVID-19 by preexisting health conditions).

They have one of these conditions and are between 20-40 yrs old. Am I reading this correctly that if you have, say, HyperTension you are 6-7 times more likely to die from the virus? i.e. 6% vs 0.9%?

I have suggested to this person that they should perhaps be self-isolating but I don't want to scare them by presenting any figures, especially ones I possibly don't fully comprehend. They work in retail and their employers have stated that they will be keeping the place open even if non-essential retail outlets are ordered to close - I believe they have applied for special status in this regard based upon the products they sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

froog wrote: »
    did you know the spanish called it the french flu?

you're exactly right, bunch of 10 year olds then too.

That's actually an insult to 10 year olds. Bunch of 8 year olds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Aegir wrote: »
    It was interesting what the U.K. chief scientific officer was saying about developing a test that not only tells you if you have it, but can also tell if you have had it.

While there is the likelihood that lots of people have it and don’t know, there is also the likelihood there are people who have had it and fought it off without developing any symptoms.

That's antibody testing, also called serology / serologic testing.
    Lots of companies are developing tests, including 15 min tests using a drop of blood that can be done in doctors' surgeries, at the bedside etc.

They tell you if someone has been infected in the past, and can give a sense of whether that was recent (~7-15 days) or happened further in the past.

These tests can help confirm diagnosis for patients who were infected ~1-2 weeks earlier.

They will also will be really useful for answering lots of questions -
    How many people have been infected?
    How common is infection in children? (implications for school closures, contact between children & elderly)
    Does everyone who has the disease develop long-term immunity? (currently info seems to say yes)
    How accurate are current PCR tests for active virus?
    Are there links between cases (assuming we can get the numbers down to where this becomes useful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bunch of ten year olds. It's their own fault for not knowing.
    Wikipedia claims it was was because journalists were free to report on the effects in neutral Spain, but censored in reports from wartime countries, hence the name stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Cody montana

No, I'm trying to find out what is so offensive about calling a virus that originated IN CHINA as a "Chinese virus". The fact that everyone who has responded so far has ignored the question (instead lecturing on widely known trivia about Spanish Flu) would suggest there is nothing offensive about it and they are just being busy bodies. Trump has done plenty wrong FWIW.

Again, everyone is calling it the Coronavirus, not the Chinese virus.
    Why is he trying to change the name?
    We all know it started in China and now it's global.

tuxy wrote: »
    Spain was not in the war and their media was free to report on it.
    Countries in the war had media restrictions on bad news.
    Spain was the only one talking about it as it was ongoing.

AFAIK, it actually originated in China (I'm sure some of the Wikipedia readers can verify that), same as the Chinese Virus we all know and love today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Re NSAIDs/Nurofen/ibuprofen, real-time observational evidence takes a while to meet 'proper' evidence threshold and make it into official guidance. This virus was only discovered in December.

Do you have some kind of agenda here?

This thread is not for medical advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

We have more cases per capita than China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

just cycled to shops in Clontarf. People everywhere mostly avoiding each other but a couple of big gangs of teenagers, like 8 in a group. I don't think we're taking this serious enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

The first coronavirus death has been recorded in sub-Saharan Africa, involving a high-ranking politician in Burkina Faso.

The country's main opposition party, the Union for Progress and Change, said in a statement that Rose-Marie Compaore, the first-vice president of the parliament, had died.

The number of infections in Burkina Faso, including the death, stands at 27 - up from seven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The Spanish named it the Spanish flu. It was knocking around for a while and when it arrived in Spain they didn’t realise it came from outside.

The Spanish actually named it Soldado de Napoles, it was US and other European countries which called it the Spanish Flu after widespread reporting of the flu from Spain after King Alfonso XIII of Spain caught it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is Trump giving Ireland a cure/vaccine?

If not is there not 4 or 5 threads that ye can bicker about him in already?

Again, everyone is calling it the Coronavirus, not the Chinese virus.
    Why is he trying to change the name?
    We all know it started in China and now it's global.

He can call it whatever he likes, just as you can choose not to be offended by words that are factual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    We have more cases per capita than China

That's if the Chinese figures are correct which i sincerely doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No, its offensive because you choose to be offended by it. He is just stating a fact.

Really? What properties make the virus Chinese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AFAIK, it actually originated in China (I'm sure some of the Wikipedia readers can verify that), same as the Chinese Virus we all know and love today.

A military base in Kansas USA is as far back as they could trace it.
    China would make no sense if you think about travel during WW1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nonsense.

He is deliberately trying to offend....

I’m not Chinese. And plenty Chinese are offended. So, you are talking nonsense..

Like I said. A toerag. Not an ounce of decorum or diplomacy about the man, and utterly dangerous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Good newsbyte!
    Here's decency from an employer (in the UK)
    (LFC fan here but this guy is a really decent skin)
    https://twitter.com/GG_Hospitality/status/1240315292145930240?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He can call it whatever he likes, just as you can choose not to be offended by words that are factual.

And you could choose not to be offended by words but here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

just cycled to shops in Clontarf. People everywhere mostly avoiding each other but a couple of big gangs of teenagers, like 8 in a group. I don't think we're taking this serious enough.

No doubt there'll be a woman from Clontarf on to Joe Duffy about it tomorrow.

It all matters.

The European Union has urged online media platforms to stream movies and entertainment in standard rather than high definition to relieve pressure on the internet during the coronavirus pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No.

It was named the Spanish Flu as Spain reported about it - any mention of it was suppressed by those busy killing each other in WWI. Spain wasn't involved so was free to talk about the other thing that was killing an awful lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

murpho999 wrote: »
    I see card contactless payments are being raised to €50. That's grand but many people will spend more than that on a big shop and you have to put card in after 3 uses.

Could you use something such as a cotton bud to type in your pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

I had to sign up here to ask if anyone knows what happens after being referred. I'm in Dublin but I don't drive and my 4yo needs to be swabbed. I can't see a taxi volunteering to bring me up to croke park, not that I'd risk it anyway. But do they still come out and swab at home? I'm awaiting the HSE to contact me in regards to an appointment but I can't seem to get answers from anyone about this today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Spain (Update): +2,920 cases/+105 deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭This is it

Any numbers for ROI announced yet? Only in the door, missed the 6.01

This is it wrote: »
    Any numbers for ROI announced yet? Only in the door, missed the 6.01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It started in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭omerin

Received a letter from my credit union today, nothing but spam, ffs no need for it. Companies stop sending spam letters!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Like the people who named the Spanish flu. Bunch of ten year olds.

...over 100 years ago. There are even older offences that were aimed at a specific group. Oldest one and from far away is "Rebel scum". But there were others, from XX century, suggesting headlice come from Jews. Trump's aim was to offend.

Pinkpotato wrote: »
    I had to sign up here to ask if anyone knows what happens after being referred. I'm in Dublin bit I don't drive and my 4yo needs to be swabbed. I can't see a taxi volunteering to bring me up to croke park, not that I'd risk it anyway. But do they still come out and swab at home? I'm awaiting the HSE to contact me in regards to an appointment but I can't seem to get answers from anyone about this today.

They'll call out to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cosanostra

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
    475 deaths in Italy in 24 hours. What. Tha. Fuk.
    To put that into perspective there is on average 1700 deaths per day in Italy normally

Let me put that into context for you: That's a 28% increase in deaths every single day - an additional 173,375 dead people per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240349753852006401?s=20
    It's started happening in The Netherlands.

https://mobile.twitter.com/King_MY98/status/1237819475602354178?s=20
    It was happening in Lebanon last week and China two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭joeguevara

There are specific guidelines from WHO on how pathogens are named. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/05/discovered-disease-who-has-new-rules-avoiding-offensive-names

It is against those guidelines to stigmatise country, animal, wildlife etc. If you are to hold WHO in regard, seeing as their sole aim is to reduce the physical toll of disease, you don’t flagrantly abuse the name of a disease. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dan786 wrote: »
    It all matters.

The European Union has urged online media platforms to stream movies and entertainment in standard rather than high definition to relieve pressure on the internet during the coronavirus pandemic.

Hang on a second, I want to do my bit, but standard definition?

No way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Grow up.
    I’m not offended by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Pinkpotato wrote: »
    I had to sign up here to ask if anyone knows what happens after being referred. I'm in Dublin bit I don't drive and my 4yo needs to be swabbed. I can't see a taxi volunteering to bring me up to croke park, not that I'd risk it anyway. But do they still come out and swab at home? I'm awaiting the HSE to contact me in regards to an appointment but I can't seem to get answers from anyone about this today.

They seem to be sending paramedic to do tests in the home in these cases. Please relax they will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I take it the Leaving and Junior Certs are not taking place here in Ireland, like in the UK.
    In the UK, they plan to let the teachers mark up the students on their years work and give them their grades.
    But imagine if you were being graded by a teacher who hated your guts.
    I say this because I remember when I was at school, my history teacher hated my guts and in all the class exams I always got poor results D's and C-'s , but then in the leaving cert I got an A in honours History.
    It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why is he trying to change the name? .

its a descriptor, not a name change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What makes an Irish tourist 'Irish'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement